Mer-Manic Harmony Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The question once again forced upon her she just panicked, they looked like just basic sticks to her, both long, one was grey the other light brown, a wooden surface look to it and the other a...well metal, there was no other word for it.

"M-Metal is strong right? S-So go for that."

He look back and shrugged, not really caring, it was just something to use.

"Alright then," grabbing the thing and feeling it in his hands, wondering about the battles ahead, just what would he be facing? If a werewolf then anything really, how the fuck was he going to do if he faced something he couldn't handle? Meh, he'd think about it later, "anything you want to see?"

Turning to his friend who watch him with focused eyes, she wasn't too interested she can always check another time, so they made their way over to the old guy noticing the thing in his hand.

"Ah that time of the month I see," the older guy chuckled before leaning to the side and seeing melody, the odd girl with silver hair that was new but he chalked it up to being some fashion trend girls have, and for a girl, she was pretty, beautiful even with a pure innocent like face and body, "and who this little thing?"

He smiled reveal not the most cleanest pearly whites, noticing a few teeth missing, but he was honest and friendly.

"A friend I made," James voiced up, "she's new in town."

"Hello there missy," he smiled warmly before Seymour had to blink a few times as if needing to register just what he said, "wait did you say friend?"

James frowned with Melody still leaning over noticing, rolling his eyes and nodding.

"Your...Actually capable of making those?"

Once again his eyes rolled, "yes I am, old timer."

The guy chuckled turning to Melody, "he not paying you right?"

The cute girl locked up quickly stumbling with her words.

"I-I-"

"I'm only joking little lady," he said returning to his magazine...all about fishing weirdly enough, "now let me have it, you want the employee discount?"

"Of course."

"Oh?" Melody injected herself into the conversion.

"Ah well James actually works here part-time, or when he feels like it."

He shrugs, "I got many part-time jobs, like a freelance worker or whatever if I lose one then fine, this beach city always needs peps like me."

Old man Semore nodded, "James is rough around the edges but he a god damn good worker, maybe one of my best, so even if he's a little funky on when he comes in, but when he does, work that would take someone weeks is finished In a day."

That cheered him up a little, he always liked Seymour certainly being one who his favourite bosses, crossing his arm looking proud, finally, something to impress Melody after his rather...extreme interaction with the wolf.

"What can I say, working something physical is good to get my frustrations out."

"Plus he scares off any would-be shoplifters so there is a natural bonus."

Melody could see that, with the guy just shrugging knowing it was true, but it did ruin business a bit, to have him on the counter.

"I'm not that intimating."

"you are," both of them said at the same time with a blank serious look on their faces.

Melody just giggled at the site as did semore chuckling a wide old smile on his face.

"So then another broken bat?" he pointed to the new fresh metal one in his handy already knowing why he was here, "what broke it this time? Go on surprise me."

"Last one shattered when I struck a home run on a werewolf."

"J-James!" melody panicked quickly, whispering, tugging on his hoodie.

Seymour just laughed.

"Now that's the wildest one you said so far, before you said you got jumped but like 20 guys all with weapons and tools from an abandoned warehouse!"

James was left to smile a little shrugging leaving the girl confused.

"What!? What warehouse? James what are you-"

"Wait melody no there were like, 30 more."

"Thirty!?"

That just set the old guy off even more even James smile a little before her eye sharping frowning as she gazed at the two, snickering and chuckling between each other.

"Wait are you lying?"

The man didn't say anything just kept smiling.

"Boy James she's so innocent! But sweet looking one," he chuckled again lifting his cap look to at her, "certainly new to town," he then started his usual thing, pricing up the bat, James had already brought out his card and his club card for that discount, all while Melody pouted at being teased.

The old man noticed, "don't worry about James, he rough like an urchin and dangerous like one too, but a decent guy...At least."

"At least? Thanks, bub," he paid and took the bat removing the stick and pocketing the wallet and soon slipping both into his pack.

With that, he had his new shiny baseball bat with a tiny grin on his face now he was set for anything.

"Well that's it, is anything else you want to see Melody? Tho I will say this place is kinda boring."

"Bold of you to assume that, I have the finest things this danm city could ever have! Things no person is even worth having!"

"Is that why there are no customers?"

"Shut up kid I just need to redecorate, it doesn't help being cooped up in this hidden spot, tho I think it's mostly about those rumours."

That peeked Melody's and James's interest who slowly came forward getting the older guy's attention, looking at him she saw the rough look on his face the wrinkled skin and the slight grime on his face.

"Rumours?"

Seymour just nodded, "yeah, strange stuff, unexplained things been happening around here but I bet there nothing, take no notice melody this place has always been strange after all! I mean just take that massive cove, still the same even as a kid."

James just nodded, "stranger than you think boss, stay safe and take care, call if you need me."

With that, he left with melody looking back with a mixture of confusion, concern and weariness she followed James like a baby whale to its mother.

Returning out in the sunlight finding no one was lurking, with a sigh of relief James checked his phone, finding that time had passed pretty fast.

"Y-You should be more careful when saying stuff like that."

Melody's voice piece the silence, he turned back to see a nervous and fluttered melody before him, he just shrugged it off slipping his phone away, his backpack close to him.

"Nah, don't worry he won't believe me, don't worry about it."

"But why do you tell such scary things!"

"Because of my reputation around here," he said as he got moving, she quickly followed, "this is a small part of the city, the tourist spot so everyone knows everyone else, and in my past, I often get into fights, still kinda do now, always some punk trying to be the tough guy but hey I tell him and other just wild stories, fuels the imagination of the type of guy I am, so even with all my 'colourful' stories I'd told what makes you think he's going to believe this one."

"But he might! Someone else might!"

She looked at him truly worried, disturbed even.

"Still you should be careful you don't know who else," she looked around hastily before closing in, "might be listening."

Rolling his eyes, groining and nodding she did have a point, "fine, you hungry?"

Knowing she wasn't going to get through to him, watching him get annoyed she thought about it, food hadn't been on her mind since, well a lot of things happened, thinking about it now she felt it, the hunger settling in.

"Y-Yeah but I don't have any money too-"

"Relax a little Mel," he patted his friend's shoulder trying to ease her guilt, "I'm treating you, so if you're interested I got the perfect place," a tinkle of excitement in his eyes, "Are you interested?"

Looking to that excited look knowing it was or must be trouble, she nodded meekly unable to deny her hunger.

So in agreement, they started walking, naturally, they started talking or at least she did, knowing she could do with a good meal, as they continued through the back area returning to The main part of the city, Melody was realising it was much harder to walk then swim, burning up a lot of energy just to keep stable.

Tho she was warned about that.

"So, you can eat seafood right?"

"Of course! That is our main source of food!"

The two were walking down the main area, the distant sun was just begging to set, leaving an orange glow behind his head, it looked nice.

"Just checking didn't want anything awkward," he wonder the horror of them sitting there getting served her cousin or whatever.

"Fish are fish if they can't talk then it's all ok."

"Interesting," He commented always wondering about that fact.

So with that James her ever trusty and slightly 'grumpy' guide brought her along, no longer talking but instead just enjoying each other company in this relaxing place, seeing as the mood had lightened greatly she wondered.

"Are you ok?"

Melody's voice pieced the silence in his cloudy mind, stopping turning back hands still In his pocket to avoid the cold, it did make him wonder how she wasn't cold.

Staring into those sweet silver eyes seeing the fear in them, thinking he may have gone a little too far with that werewolf earlier however he was...Scared, if only a little, and he wanted to protect her.

He had to be brutal so the fact she was scared just annoyed him, but sweet that she cared.

"I'm fine, just everything is damn annoying...Like Kai."

The two continued on through the street whipping and winding aimlessly as they walked to their target Melody didn't know, the sun slowly set in the distance, and they had been out for while now.

"Kai? She saved us! Saved you I'm happy she came you could have gotten hurt."

"I could have handled it, hell I was about to kick it in the face," sighing not in a too bad mood however bringing up Kai.

Quickly quieting melody but not silencing her, "it doesn't matter! You still 'could' of gotten hurt I know you don't like her and she doesn't like you but you both will be working together, i-i don't want my friends to fight."

"I don't care if she saved me or not! I actually archived something good and of course, she comes in and just fucks with me," he vented, his walk going faster forcing melody to jog a little, "she always smarter than me, always with the quick little quips just to humiliate me, everyone loves her, she has everything so why is she trying so hard to fuck with me? Like serious what the hell is her problem!? I actually wish I knew."

"I-I don't know, I could find out for you."

He finally stopped, melody accidentally knocking into him.

"No, I want to find out for myself," she said the scary look on his face making her shiver, "now please don't bring her up again all this adrenaline is getting me hungry."

"But you still hung up about Kai!"

"I should just ignore her," he rubbed the back of his neck, "she did save me and I will admit that ok? Mel? Does that satisfy you?"

She hugged his arm making him lock up, freezing in place.

Her sweet smile, radiant, cute on possibly the most precious face he's ever seen.

"yes, thank you bestie."

He grumbled feeling a warm gooey feeling inside, he didn't like it, not having the heart to shrug her off.

"Fine whatever, but thanks for checking on me."

Finding the urge to escape her hug he carried on, Melody still looking concerned yet followed on hastily.

Why was he feeling so odd...Whenever he saw that smile.

###

Continuing to talk once again, the mood which could have been cut with a knife had vanished, like nothing ever happened.

She wanted to see more, after all, the 'fun' today she wanted to scurry and see every inch of this place it was her dream, after all, however, James was able to stop her, she'd see more another day, after all, she pouted but accepted knowing her hunger was taking importance right now, but right now she found herself more interested in James.

Her hero, her grumpy savour her first human friend in this new world, the man with a spiky heart of gold...or at least another surface material that had significance. It always made her wonder, just who was James Vort? And his chaotic life.

She had a lot of interesting things to say as for James, well he was surprisingly quite good at talking, for a lone wolf type person.

However there was something of notice, something she sensed something ominous, relating to his childhood, sure he would speak of funny memories with her mother and his little twin sisters, but never a father, or where he was first born discovering it wasn't here, something he had often got easily frustrated with or at least quiet, brushing her off or changing the subject.

The topic interested her however she saw the effect it had on him, so she could keep it quiet for now, as her grandmother says, don't poke the sleeping shark.

From all the talking, walking the patterned tilted path by the seafront, before heading down some random path leading on, their hunger was becoming more than a mere annoyance, along with other things.

"Are we close? My new legs are aching."

"Soon my friend."

She pouted for the two had been walking for some time now, "swimming is so much easier, how do you humans do this!?"

He was busy, on his phone already sending a message to his mother about eating so no need to be concerned, good to keep her updated.

"Meh it just come to us, swimming sound tiring to me how do you do it?"

"I guess the same, tho so much easier, this gravity doesn't always weigh us down."

"Understandable," he said as they turned a corner, and quickly he lit up, "ah here we are."

Immediately she joined him, looking trying to find the place.

When she didn't he gave her the hint, guiding her to it.

And when they stopped she came before a...Not a very impressive place.

"The Salty Ship?"

"Yeah the name isn't much but I swear it's worth it"

She tried to look open-minded glancing at the restaurant, the place had a shipwreck feel, with the broken board coming to the place with fake fishing nests, and the front door looked to actually be built from their remains.

Certainly, a fisherman mixed with a pirate thing, the name of the place was plastered on a large board with fancy french writing.

"I...Ok then!" she beamed again, James had his reason to bring her here and if he says it the best then it must be.

Stepping inside she wasn't very, invigorated. Excited? She should be! This was her first time in such a place! Certainly one of her bucket list items...Hopefully, that's the right term, she had a bunch, one she needed to tell James one day.

Looking, around finding more and more fishing and pirate designs, again with the nets which naturally unsettled her a little, hearing horror stories of how merfolk get tangled up in nets, or worst how they are dumped in the sea.

Harpoons, fishing rods and lures of all kinds.

Many of the older merfolk, would most likely be scared, terrified even but for her, she found it fascinating, the old tool humans used to fish, there is a lot of history here, history that made her curious.

"Liking what you see?" James cut in, after letting her have her moment to take in the scenery.

"Yes! It is interesting, this whole pirate and fishing ship feel, it strange but inviting."

"Yeah it does have that feel, everything here is apparently made from old ships, but anyway come in, sit down and I'll get us some grub, your going to love it here."

"O-Ok but a-again I'm sorry I can pay but-"

"It's fine buddy and besides I got employee discount."

"Wait you work here too!?"

"Sometimes, just another part-time place here, It doesn't pay very much but whatever."

"Oh I see," she looked around not being very impressed with the place which is understood what it lacked in flare it made up in homely comforting somewhere, "so err why here? You could work somewhere that could give more human money!"

Raising an eyebrow at such a question, "it got the best fish and chip in the city, why the hell would I want to work anywhere else, and I don't care too much about pay, I only work because I get bored easily," he said as he brought her in, "your tune will change quite quickly once you've got some food in that little belly of yours."

She blushed and followed him, being one of those sit and wait, kind of places, James wasn't close with anyone as he was with semore but that was a smaller place with much fewer employees.

Either way, he worked the night shift, finding a seat in the back corner, the place he always sat after hours.

It was relatively peaceful, with only a few people, it wasn't a ghost town but there were people certainly enjoying their meals. Sitting here she slowly began to warm up to the place enjoying their cosy little corner away from most, with a few chuckled gestures from the staff who knew him a little and their interest in the pretty girl with whiteish silver hair.

He was surprised to find she had quite the appetite maybe enough to rival him after a good fight, tho she felt a little on edge, a little down or embarrassed as such, he quickly got his answer.

Her inability to pay forced her to rely on him once again. An intense feeling of guilt overcame her, she didn't want him to feel like she was using him, mistreating him.

However, her fears were reassured with his kind understanding, she did say her allowance wouldn't come till the next day plus he worked here at times so he got a discount

Even still he told her some true tales from his youth which quickly got her interested, wild eyes, innocent like a puppy, or perhaps a baby dolphin In this situation.

"And that's how I got rid of a whole gang at the age of 14, quite invigorating back then, you alone against the world, still have some scars to remember it," he chuckled at the memory, but turning quite after seeing his mother ice cold fearful reaction, he was beaten pretty badly.

All while melody watched with those same sparkling eyes, she did notice that he never spoke about his time as a child only when he was a teen it was odd but she never questioned it.

"W-Wow against so many people, r-remind me to never mess with you, your mum or sisters."

"Wiser words have never been spoken, yet people still try."

She was fiddling with her cola, turning the straw with her hand, most of the people have left, the 'graveyard' shift, whatever that meant to her, the only people remaining were those wanting a quick meal or having a date.

The atmosphere was incredibly relaxed and quiet, with the hanging lights, and the picture on the wall, just like the last place.

The whole nighttime oceanic feel reminded her a little of home.

"I wanted to thank you for earlier."

James froze a little confused, nibbling on spare leftover chips from his dinner...fish and chips, simple but he liked them only reason why he wanted to work here was that in his opinion, this place was the best.

"With the wolf? You already said thanks."

"No before then! Back in the office," she corrected, he just look on uncaring, which quickly flared her up, "you don't understand how much trouble I could have gotten into if you hadn't lied, I could be sent back home, I wouldn't have had this chance to see the surface."

Taken back by how serious this was, like seriously? That would be pretty harsh but after what he's seen he could understand, what if it was someone else? Someone who would go wild at the chance of revealing the fact the supernatural existed.

With how dangerous it could be everyone would run around in a panic, no wonder humanity wasn't ready to learn the truth.

Still, knowing how much this meant to her and the chance of losing it? This was a lot more important than he first thought, with her face staring intensely as he swallowed his food.

"It a little white lie, after all, you did help me from a really bad situation 2 weeks ago," he got a chip putting it into his mouth, "And it didn't feel right if you got kicked back home because of that, I mean you made a little mistake your young, curious just talking to me shouldn't ruin that dream of yours."

1...34567...9