Michael or Mac Ep. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay, are we going to record it now?"

"Yeah, just copy what you just did," Billy Ray says.

I wait for a signal and again close my eyes as the first notes sing out. Again images of Emma flow through me. The moments we have shared both outside and inside the bedroom just flood my senses. I recall my longing to be back with Emma and express this in my music. Feeling the music wash over me and knowing its meaning. As I get near the end, I become aware of the tears running down my face.

As my fingers play the last notes, my eyes open, and I see Miley crying as well, with Billy Ray sitting back listening inside his little world. He snaps out of his trance and quickly turns the recorder off.

I put the guitar down and walked out of the studio into the recording booth to make sure we got it. "Do you see what I mean," Miley is saying to her Dad? "That piece would stand up on its own without my lyrics."

"Yeah, but I think your lyrics bring a new dimension to the song," I say as I take a seat.

Billy Ray sits there for a moment, "Mac, she's right, but I think if you add a subtle beat and base to it and add Miley's words." He pauses to think, "just a subtle change would do it. I wouldn't record over that recording, though. That is a musical masterpiece.

He presses a couple of buttons and slides the volume up. I hear the piece I just played come out over the speaker. To my surprise, it sounds the same as it did in my head, and I feel the hairs on my neck stand up on end. There is a subtle difference, and I see it straight away; I can now hear the love I feel for her resonate in the melody.

When it ends, Miley says, "as I said, Emma is one lucky lady."

We discuss what we need to do to the tune to make it fit the lyrics better, and I go back in and, this time, we record with a beat that I create on the synth and a baseline from the top string of the guitar.

Then it's Miley's turn to add her words to what I've put down. She struggles with one area, but I go back in and blend the music to her words and make it fit better. We record with just Miley, with me harmonizing and strangely with just me. Finally, we record where we share verses and harmonize the chorus.

It's past four when we decide we've done what we could. We sit and listen to the last recorded track, and I see Miley shed a tear. "Are you okay, Miley?"

She nods and then smiles, "it's so much better than I could have dreamed of."

"Yeah, it's incredible. You should be proud of your creation."

"Our creation, and don't you forget it."

With that, Billy Ray jumps up and says, "come-on we'll be late for kick-off."

When we get back into the house, the downstairs is quiet, but there's laughter coming from upstairs. We walk upstairs, and the three girls are back from their shopping expedition and in Donna's room with Donna trying on a dress she bought.

"Hey baby, we've not been back long. How did you get on?"

"Brilliant, your boyfriend is a genius, and we've got everything done we needed to do and some."

"That's great," Emma enthuses.

"Sorry to break Donna's show and tell up, but we need to get ready and out the door by five." All three girls go into panic mode.

I just walk into the bedroom and change into a clean shirt and trainers. Emma looks through her bag when she sees what I am wearing and decides to go casual.

The limo is waiting outside for us as we all pile out. There's a great mood in the car as it drives towards the stadium. We start seeing all the vans and cars parked up with people outside enjoying themselves as the stadium comes into view.

As we pull up, several people are standing, waiting to greet us. "I hope they're not fans wanting photos and autographs," I hear Miley say.

The driver stops right outside the VIP's entrance, and everyone piles out and walks straight inside. I am last to exit, and the first thing I hear is, "Mr. Carter, it's a pleasure to meet you." I turn to see a middle-aged man with his son who is looking into the VIP entrance where the rest of the gang went.

"Mr. Clark, it's a pleasure to meet you, and this must be your son Alec?"

"Yes, sorry, I had promised him a long time ago that he will be able to see the game."

"That's okay," Alec is still looking to where the girls went.

"I'm sorry. Alec, would you say hi to Mr. Carter."

"Mac, please. Nobody calls me Mr. Carter," I say.

"Was that Miley Cyrus who just walked in?" Alec asks, still not looking at me.

"Yes, I believe it was," Mr. Clark says, looking in the same direction now. "And Mac, please call me Bob."

"Okay, Bob, shall we go in?"

"Oh, yes."

"It's okay, Alec, you are sharing the box with Miley."

His head whips around, and his eyes are open wide. "You're that musician from YouTube."

"Well, it's not how I chose to be recognized."

"I saw the live feed with you and Miley the other week."

"Oh right, so are you a fan?"

He tries to play it cool now, "she's alright."

"Well, you will be sharing the box with her, so you might get to talk to her."

That was it; he's lost it. "You're kidding me," he screeches in a high-pitched voice.

Miley turns and looks out. "Is everything okay, Mac?"

"It's all good; he's a little overwhelmed," I answer. Then I look at the two guys, "I will introduce you when we get upstairs."

Bob gets his composure back, "shall we?" He says, guiding me inside.

"Ummm, Mac. The coach was wondering if you would like to meet the team before kick-off."

"Yeah, why not. Can you show the ladies up to the box?" Bob nods and signals to one of the men hovering to the side. "Billy Ray," I call. Billy Ray turns, and I wave him over.

"You called Mac?"

"Yeah, they want me to show me around a little; you wanna come?" I deliberately keep where we are going from him.

"Sure," he looks over towards the girls, but they are being escorted up to the box.

A man in the club blazer walks over. "Excuse me, Mr. Carter, would you like to follow me?" He hands us both some security passes that we hang around our necks.

Billy Ray and I follow the man through some guarded doors and down a long corridor without a word.

We turn a corner, and I hear Billy Ray make an unmanly noise. "Billy Ray, did ya just make a noise like a girl?" I say jokingly.

"Not me," he says, trying to control his excitement.

"Do you mind waiting here, please, Mr. Carter?"

I nod and turn, trying not to burst out laughing at Billy Ray's face.

He sees my amusement, "you coulda warned a guy."

"Now, where's the fun in that?"

The door opens, and Mike Vrabel himself walks out. He doesn't look too happy, but his face changes when she sees Billy Ray.

His hand shoots out, "Mr. Cyrus, it's a pleasure to meet you, sir."

"Well, Mr. Vrabel, I will have to argue that point, and it's Billy Ray, please."

"In that case, it's Mike," Mike Vrabel puts his arm around Billy Ray's shoulder, "would you like to meet the boys? I heard you were a fan, but we could never get hold of you." I am entirely being ignored as they go into the changing room.

A door opens to my left, and I can see out onto the field, so I walk outside. The stadium is filling up for today's game.

"Hey, are you meant to be out here?" I flash my pass that's around my neck, and he seems happy with that.

I walk around the outside and take in the atmosphere. The chatter of anticipation is high as people take their seats. I walk past the wheelchair-only area, and a young girl calls to me, "hey, Mac?"

I smile at her and walk over, "Hey, wow, you've got a great view. What's your name?" I sit on the seat next to her.

"Jackie. Yeah, being stuck in this thing has its advantages. So you are Mac off YouTube, right?"

"You got me; I still find it strange people recognize me."

"I saw you last week with Miley Cyrus. Is that why you're here?"

"Yep, we've hung out for the weekend. Played a little music, and now we're here."

"Does Emma know?"

"Yes, she came with me." I laugh at her forwardness.

"Oh, where is she?"

"Not sure," I get my phone out and phone her. "Hey babe, can you come to the balcony and look towards the wheelchair enclosure?" My eyes scan the executive boxes until I see both Emma and Miley waving. "How are your eyes, Jackie? Can you see the third box from the right?"

"Holy shit, is that Miley Cyrus waving at me?"

"Yes, I believe she is."

"Your Emma looks more beautiful in real life."

"Why I thank you for that; I couldn't agree with you more."

"Did she just say I look more beautiful in Real Life," I hear Emma say on the phone?

"Here, Jackie, say hi."

"What? You want me to talk to Emma?......Hello?......Wow, it's really you......I don't know what to say........Yes, he's so nice. You've got a good one here.......Oh, do I have to give him back?" I see Emma laugh at Jackie's words, and she leans across and tells Marley, who laughs.

I see who I presume is Jackie's father waiting with his tray of food and drink. "Am I in someone's seat?"

"Oh, don't mind him; I'd rather you are sat with me." We both laugh as I get up and let the not-so-happy-looking Dad sit down.

I bend down, "I will see you around, Jackie."

"Do I get at least a kiss on the cheek?"

I plant one on her cheek and then continue my walk. I notice the players run out onto the pitch, so I make for the nearest marshal and ask how to get to the box. She's a helpful middle-aged lady who turns to escort me to where I need to be.

"Ummm, Mr. Carter. Have you got a minute?"

I turn back to the field, "Coach Vrabel, how can I help you?"

The coach looks a little uncomfortable, "well, sir, I didn't realize I was coming out......" I hold my hand up.

"Coach, please," I say, smiling. "I brought Billy Ray down for that very reason. He's the big football fan, not me. Don't worry and focus on the game. If you get a minute, though, can you go over and say high to the father and daughter in the wheelchair section. The girl's name is Jackie."

"I will; nice to meet you, Mr. Carter."

"Yeah, you too, Coach."

The game, for me, was a bit of an anti-climax. After that, I talked to Bob quite a bit. I hadn't been to his company but promised to drop in some time. I was a bit confused why he was insistent on meeting me.

"Bob, can I ask. What is the reason you were so keen on meeting me?"

He looks at me for a moment; the smile he has had on all evening has slipped. "Can I ask what relationship you have with my boss?"

"I haven't seen Uncle Calvin since my grans funeral when I was eleven. The last time I spoke to him was on the phone at the end of October to tell him that I was taking the company jet for business, stopping him from taking a jolly in Vegas."

"So, how should I put this? You're not much alike then?"

"I hope not; he's only my uncle by marriage."

"So, what would you say if I told you that he's running the company at a lose deliberately?"

"That's a very serious allegation. Do you have proof to back up your words?"

"My worry is can I trust you?"

"Unfortunately for you, Bob, you have let the cat out of the bag. The only thing you can trust me to do is make sure that if this is true, then Uncle Calvin will find himself out of a job and looking at criminal charges. I hope your hands are clean, Bob."

"They are, I only found out by accident when we fired one of your Uncle's creative accountants, and he spilled the beans."

"How sure are you that this accountant hasn't gone to the authorities?"

"Because he will be looking at ten years, his best hope is the plea bargain his sentence down."

"I'll tell you what I will do, Bob. I will call Olivia as soon as we leave the stadium. She will call you back, you will tell her what you told me, and we will set this right."

"But Mac, my reason for telling you is so the thousand people that you employ in and around here don't lose their jobs."

"Bob, have you read the C&W company prospectus?"

"Yes?"

"And what does it say on the very first page of the company standard Rule 1?"

"Ummmm......."

"I will tell you what it says. It says that C&G is a family company that values every employee, from CEO to the person on the shop floor. They will be treated with equal respect and their jobs safeguarded within the company group.....That Bob is how the company was originally built, and that's how it will be run long after I am in the ground."

"Okay, Mac, so how will your secretary help."

"For one, Olivia is not my secretary. She is the person you have to tell the truth to, and she is the only person you will be able to trust away from me. She has no affiliation with anyone other than me and is probably the most intelligent person I know. She has both a law degree and a business degree; if she can't work this out, nobody can."

"Oh, okay. I will wait for her to phone me then."

"You do that, and Bob, please don't mention this conversation to anyone."

Bob gives me a worried smile, and I go back to watching the game.

"That looked intense," Emma says."

"Em, I'll tell you later."

Our attention is taken by Donna sounding a little distressed. "Yes, Mom, we will be home early tomorrow. I promise you..........If you need some company, I'm sure Susan Harper will be more than pleased for some company......Please don't cry, Mom.....I'm sure it will be for the best."

I whisper in Emma's ear. "If it's not one thing, it's another."

"I wonder what's happened," Emma says, trying to listen in.

"I'm sure we'll find out soon."

Donna finishes her phone call and sees Emma and myself looking at her with concern in our eyes. "Mom's had a bust-up with her boyfriend and is worried about being home alone."

"Is she going over Susan's?"

"I think so. Can you text Susan to let us know when she does?"

I get my phone out, message Susan, and get an almost instant response.

The game is petering out with a 49er's win. We say goodbye to Bob and Alec. I reassure Bob that if it can be sorted, Olivia will sort it.

As we walk out to the waiting limo, I spot Jackie with her father. I grab Emma's and Miley's hands and walk over to her. Jackie's face lights up when she sees me approaching.

"Hey gorgeous, come to rub my nose in the fact you have two beautiful women with you?"

"Come on, Jackie, you know I'm bringing them over to show them the competition." The delight at my banter on Jackie's face is fantastic.

"Hello, Jackie," Emma says. "Are you trying to steal my boyfriend away?"

"If only I could, Emma," she says as her arms shake uncontrollably.

"Sorry, Jackie, you'll have to get in the queue like the rest of us," Miley says with a smile as she kneels to the same level.

"Mac, Emma, Miley, can we get a photo. Nobody's going to believe this one down at the social."

We crouch down around the wheel-chair-bound girl who puts one of her arms through mine and rests her head on my shoulder. Her Dad takes a couple of photos, and we say our goodbyes before getting into the waiting car.

The drive home is quiet; Billy Ray is not happy his team lost, but the girls seem happy enough. Emma seems to have struck up a good friendship with Miley as they chat quietly. Occasionally they would look in my direction and smile. I just rest my head back and close my eyes because it's been a long day.

As we get out of the car, Billy Ray thanks me for the hundredth time, and we head into the house.

I notice Miley and Emma disappear towards the recording studio. Now I know what they were talking about in the car.

I take this moment to find a quiet room and phone Olivia. "Hi boss, how was the game?"

"Fine, but you know why I'm ringing."

"Yep, what's he have to say?"

"He says that Uncle has been skimming the profits and making it look like the company is making a loss, so we put money in from central the shore it up."

"He has proof of this?"

"Apparently, you will need to tread lightly. It can't rebound on the company, and we need it watertight."

"Shit, sorry, boss. I didn't think it would be that bad."

"I don't see how it could be much worse. Look, Olivia, you will need to keep this to yourself until it's time to act. I mean not a word to anyone, even Paps."

"I understand why you don't want Paps to know, but can we keep him out of the loop?"

"For now, let's get our hands on the proof, and Olivia."

"Yes, boss?"

"Be careful."

"Always Mac."

"Okay, I will leave it in your capable hands if you need any help. Text before you call."

As I walk into the recording studio, Emma is sitting on a stall with her eyes closed. To my surprise, Miley is playing the instrumental first. I sit down without making a sound to watch Emma's reaction. At first, she is smiling and swaying to the music; as the song goes on, her face changes slightly. I see tears start to run down her cheeks. I hadn't listened to the piece before like this. I had always felt it as I played it. This was the first recording made of it, and I am really listening to it for the first time.

My eyes are fixed on Emma as she feels the pain of our separation once again. Still, she sits there, not knowing I am there, still the tears cascade down her cheeks.

As the piece comes to an end, Emma opens her eyes, and our eyes are locked for a second before she says. "God, Mac. That is so beautiful."

I smile at her as Miley moves over and keys up the second song. "Now, Emma, I want you to listen to how we put it with my lyrics."

Emma takes a deep breath as the clear guitar sound washes over us, and Miley's voice blends into it seamlessly. Emma's eyes are closed again as she's taken along with the tune. Then my voice is heard for the first time, and a beautiful smile of recognition appears on Emma's face.

"This is the same but different. This song is like after we have reunited; the tune before was how I felt when we were apart." Emma says, taking a deep breath, still, with her eyes closed, she continues to listen until the end of the song. "Wow, you did all that in one day?"

"It just seemed to fit. Mac already had that tune in his head, and I had the lyrics. As you detected, we made a subtle change to the music to make it fit."

"Why hadn't I heard this tune before, baby?"

"It's only ever been in my head; I only played it when I was low and needed you. I've had no need of it for several months now."

"It is.....oh, I don't know.....so pure and beautiful, what's it called?"

"I have never named it," I say.

"Emma's song," Marley says as she starts to tap on the keyboard of her computer. She downloads all we have done onto a memory stick, reaches across, and extracts a CD. She writes on the front with a black marker and puts it in a plastic sleeve. She then stands and hands them to Emma. Emma looks at the CD and then shows me, 'Emma's Song' is written in black marker. "Mac, that's your copy, so don't lose it. My only concern is that I think it's too good for what it's for. The song will be bigger than the film if we are not careful." Miley gets up and walks towards the door. "Come on; we should get back to the others. Maybe Donna can do one of her live things."

We make our way back to the Recreation room, where Donna and Mia are watching a film.

Billy Ray is on the phone with his wife, "Miley, wanna talk to Ma?" He says when he sees his daughter enter the room.

Emma and I go and sit on the love seat and cuddle up. She whispers in my ear, just when I think I can't love you anymore, you go and do something like this." She holds up the disc that's in her hand."

"What's that?" Mia asks when the CD reflects the TV light.

"Just Mac, telling me how much he loves me," Emma replies.

"You what?" Donna says, suddenly interested.

"It's a melody he has in his head that he made up when we were separate, and he was feeling down."

"Ooooh, can we listen to it?" Donna says, looking over to Miley, who is saying good night to her Ma.