Milly Scott Pt. 04: The Artist and The Troubleshooter

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The three of us sat chatting, about work, Jess and Victoria, politics, sport, we covered lots of things. Jane decided to stay the night and headed for the guest room. Fiona and I headed for our room and when I climbed in beside her I kissed her on the cheek. "I think the place looks great, maybe a bit different and thanks for letting Jane stay, I really enjoyed it. I like having her around again."

"The decorations are really great, a terrific idea. I liked having her here as well. Thank you." We kissed and cuddled for a while and then Fiona fell asleep. I lay watching her breathe and thought how beautiful she was.

The next day I made some small wreaths with holly and candles for the tables and a large wreath for the front door. There was one thing missing, but I'd fix that.

Salon

The following day Jess and I were having coffee. It was the Monday morning before Christmas. "I bet this week is going to be busy at the salon, all those women wanting their hair done in time for Christmas."

"We're packed, good for business, but Sheila my Receptionist, had to go into the hospital yesterday. It'll be a nightmare."

"Can't you get someone else or manage without?" I had no idea.

"There isn't anyone, not that I trust, it means the staff need to cover. Not a problem when we're quiet."

"I could do it."

"Why would you want to be a Receptionist?"

"You need help, I can help, and surely my old skills would help. I can sweep, answer the phone, take bookings, take money, make coffee."

"Would you do that, really? I'd kiss you if you did."

"I'll do it no problem, but let's leave the kissing thing to your daughter; she's really good at it." Jess laughed.

I turned up at the salon early the next day. Smart blouse and trousers, modest heels, I looked good and I was excited. Jess and her staff showed what was needed and kept an eye on me.

By lunchtime, I was getting the hang of it. One of the staff muttered about needing a sandwich but having no time between appointments. I grabbed a pad and took orders. I was back half an hour later and made a fresh pot of coffee. That changed things in an instant, I was one of the team, even more so when I grabbed a brush and started sweeping up the hair clippings. The shampoo girl had been so busy that she'd not had the time for that task. I went home exhausted, but happy.

Thursday looked even busier and it would be a long day as well. I smuggled a large pot of soup, which I'd made the evening before, into the small kitchen. Just before lunchtime one of the staff asked if I would go for sandwiches again. "Give me half an hour," I replied.

I went around the staff, "There's a tray of sandwiches and a pot of soup in the kitchen when you're ready." The box of doughnuts also went down well.

"Milly, do you want a full-time job? You've been a saviour this week, the staff all love you."

"Thanks, Jess. I've loved it more than I can tell you. Being around people, feeling useful and looking after the others is great. I'll help you out anytime, but not full-time thanks."

Christmas day

Jess, Victoria and Jane arrived mid-morning and I greeted them as they came through into the kitchen/dining area. Victoria was the closest and I grabbed her and gave her a huge kiss on the lips. Her eyes opened in shock and I saw the others looking at me as if I'd gone crazy. I looked up at the ceiling. Then they spotted the large sprig of mistletoe. Next, it was Jess, then Jane. Fiona came over and pulled me underneath it and we kissed for about two or three hours or so it seemed before Jess came to separate us. "Maybe we need to do something so that we can eat today. And I don't mean you two eating each other."

It was about then that Fiona pointed out my lights on the wall. There were lots of comments about how smart I was. I was really proud of myself. Jane regaled them with the story of the tree and how we'd had fun putting it up and decorating it.

There wasn't much to do, but Jess helped me whilst Fiona poured drinks. We sat chatting until Karen arrived. She was a little stunned when Jane kissed her until she spotted the mistletoe that she was standing underneath.

The food was great. We were all in good humour as we ate and drank. We discussed past Christmases, talked about our plans and hopes for the future. There was an exchange of gifts, small personal gifts, nothing extravagant. Being together was the greatest gift.

It was getting late when I looked around the room. Jess and Victoria were sitting on one of the sofas, Jess was resting her head on Victoria's lap and she was looking down at Jess with affection and stroking her hair. Karen and Jane were seated facing each other on the second couch, chatting away easily like the old friends that they were.

I was seated on Fiona's lap in a big chair. I had my arms around her and my head resting on her shoulder. She was discreetly trying to slide her hand under my skirt. I wasn't trying too hard to stop her. This was what I wanted for Christmas, this scene, these people - my friends, family and lover.

New Year

Jess had asked me to help her with preparations for their New Year party something that they'd held for a few years and it seemed to grow each year. I'd not been at many of them but had really enjoyed the ones that I had attended.

We sent Jane and Fiona to the shops for the last minute supplies and when they returned they moved some of the furniture to create more space. Then we told them to go away on their bikes and give us some peace to work. Victoria was busy getting plates and glasses sorted out. She was singing along to the music that was playing and she looked up at Jess every few minutes. Jess would catch her looking and smile or stick her tongue out.

I burst out laughing and the two of them stopped what they were doing and asked what I was laughing at. I was making sausage rolls and had to stop to wipe the tears from eyes, laughter tears. "You two can't take your eyes off of each other, smiling, pulling faces. It's lovely, after all these years you're still mad about each other."

Jess stroked my arm. "I fell for her so long ago and eventually we got together. I feel much more in love with her now than I did back then. But you're one to talk, you and Fiona are just the same. You don't need to tell us how you feel about each other, we can all see it."

Victoria came over to join us and pulled us together in an embrace. "It's true; I love Jess like crazy and have done for such a long time. I find myself looking for her all the time, just checking. When she smiles at me it makes me feel warm inside. Jess is right about you and Fiona; you behave just the same, it's sweet."

"I love the two of you. I have no idea how I'd have survived without you both, thank you."

"Just look after Fiona for me." Jess squeezed my hand and smiled. I nodded.

"Okay you two, enough idling, there's food to be prepared." Victoria slapped us both on the bum and laughed as she walked away.

Jess and I spent two hours getting stuff ready. When I stood back and cast an eye over what we had, I turned to ask how many people were coming. "I'm not sure, twenty, twenty-five, we'll see who turns up."

"I hope they all have good appetites."

There were almost thirty people there by 10.30 pm and they'd made some impact on the food and even more on the drink. I knew many of them, some of Jess's staff, a couple of Fiona's colleagues, Karen, Victoria's assistant and their secretary and a couple of the neighbours.

I was standing topping up my glass and one girl that I didn't know appeared at my side. "Can I top you up?"

"Thank you. I feel a bit lost here. I work with Jane and don't know anyone else."

"I'm Milly, Jane's sister in law. So now you know at least two people here."

"Pleased to meet you, I'm Natalie. I just moved here a few months ago and Jane invited me or I'd be on my own. She seems to have disappeared."

"She's mentioned you. I suspect that Jane and Fiona are planning what to play later."

"What to play, like games?" She had a look of horror on her face.

"No, music." I smiled, "Sometime after midnight they'll play a few pieces of music, they're good."

"Thank goodness, I thought you meant actual games."

I laughed out loud. "No, nothing like 'Twister' or throwing keys into a bowl. Stick with me and I'll introduce you around, you won't be a stranger for long around here."

"So you're Fiona's partner."

"Yes, her wife actually. Have you met Fiona?"

"Yes, just once."

"I was at college with her mother and then beguiled her youngest daughter."

"Jane's told me a bit about that story. She likes you a lot."

"And I like her. We're good friends. Come on."

Just at that, Jess arrived. "Jess, this is Natalie, a colleague of Jane's. Natalie, Jess is Jane's mum and your host."

Natalie tried and failed, to stifle a laugh. "I'm sorry, a thought just flashed through my head. Please forgive me. Milly, Jess must be your mother in law, but you look more like sisters and I don't believe that you're old enough to be Jane's mum."

I smiled, "Natalie, you're going to fit in really well. We like a sense of humour, you'll need it around here, and compliments like that are also welcome. Come on let's find Victoria."

Natalie stayed close for most of the evening, she looked puzzled when Jane eventually reappeared and hugged me. "I see that you've met the one that got away. I was too slow and my sister got in before I could."

"Stop it, Jane. I love you too, but it's not the same," I turned towards Natalie, "Jane's my friend and she wasn't too slow."

As the two of them moved away I wondered if they were an item. Jane hadn't mentioned it.

Victoria made a speech just before midnight to thank us for our friendship and then the corks popped as we welcomed in the New Year.

Jane and Fiona played for about half an hour and most of the guests sat silently. I perched on a stool at the kitchen worktop and watched. I watched my girl playing with passion and occasionally she would look over to me and I'd see that smile that always melted my heart. Jane was at her best and I watched her with such pleasure as well. I caught a glimpse of Victoria who was standing behind Jess with her arms around her and both were beaming with pride.

By the time the party started to wind down Jess and I had cleared away most of the food and had stacked the dishes. They could wait until later in the day.

Victoria had asked a few people to stay the night and Jane had volunteered her bed deciding to come home with Fiona and me. Jane came over and whispered, "Can Natalie stay the night with us. It'll be impossible to get a taxi at this time of night."

Natalie looked a little sheepish as we clambered out of the car and entered the house. She seemed a little more confident when I made hot chocolate and we chatted for a few minutes.

Natalie still looked a little embarrassed later the following morning when I served coffee. She walked back to Jess and Victoria's house with us before leaving in her car whilst the three of us went inside to help with the cleanup. I couldn't resist any longer, "Natalie is lovely, are you two ..?"

"No, Milly, we aren't. We were years ago at uni, for about four months, but we became just friends. I like her but not like that." She blushed and I thought, 'Damn what a shame, they looked good together.'

Temping again

Jane and Fiona tried to get out on their bikes on a Saturday and Jane often spent the rest of the day with us. She was often round in the evenings as well. We both liked her being there, they were my two girls, girls that I'd spent such happy times with, and who'd become my friends. Well, one had become a little more than that, but I enjoyed the two of them together, they made me laugh and made me happy.

The five of us, Victoria, Jess, Jane, Fiona and I, were having coffee and reading the papers, something that we did on a Sunday, a couple of times a month, either at our place or theirs, but there was no rigid pattern.

Jess and I didn't really need the catch-up. We'd got in the habit of spending Mondays together, shopping, walking if the weather was good, swimming if not. We were good friends again.

That Sunday Victoria was talking about work and ruing the fact that her PA was away for a month with her family. "I really need her; I've such a lot of work on just now."

"Could I help out?"

"What?" She looked at me as if I had grown horns.

"Could I help out? It's what I used to do remember."

"But Milly, why would you want to do that? Temping?"

"Why?" I laughed, "You just said that you needed help. I'm not familiar with your set up and I won't be as effective as your PA, but I'm pretty sure that after two days I could help and make a difference."

"You'd do that?"

"Of course." Just like that, I had a job and it excited me.

The first few days were a real challenge. I knew none of the people, nothing about the business and getting access to the computer system was frustrating. I tried bribing the IT guy with doughnuts, but that didn't work.

I went home frustrated. Fiona didn't help because she'd been given a lead role in some project. She explained it in detail and I had to stop her because it sounded as if she was speaking some strange African language. Then she tried to put it in lay-mans terms, but that didn't help either. After two glasses of wine and mindless stuff that I didn't follow I stood up and stripped in front of her. That stopped her and pleased me in more ways than one.

By the end of the first week, I was starting to get the hang of things and some understanding of what I could do to help.

That weekend I threatened Fiona. "If you mention work or anything to do with one's and zero's I will lock the bedroom door, with you on the other side, for a week."

"Threaten me would you?" At first, I thought she was angry, then, that I was getting a hug. Instead, she picked me up, threw me over her shoulder and carried me to the bedroom. I was, literally, thrown onto the bed. She pulled my clothes off despite my resistance, actually, I helped her. Then she produced the red ribbon. I held out my wrists so that she could tie them and lay back quivering with expectation. I was not disappointed. We spent several hours with her touching and stroking me, frustrating me until eventually, she allowed me the release that I craved. She lay back and started to doze. I went to the bathroom and woke her up by climbing between her legs wearing the strap-on. It didn't shut her up, quite the opposite, but she never mentioned ones or zeros.

My second week working with Victoria went so much better. Now I could actually make myself useful and she was good to work with. I ended up working with her for five weeks and by the time I finished I knew that I was going to miss it.

A few weeks later I was asked to return to fill in for one of the director's PAs for a couple of weeks. I ended up doing quite a few weeks there filling in for absences and on one occasion to help with a special project. The money more than made up for the time that I'd not devoted to my drawing.

Despite that work, I knew that my priority was Fiona, to give her the time to concentrate on her work and when she came home, the time to relax. I organised lots of things for us, theatre, opera, music and events. I invited Jess, Jane and Victoria to join us regularly for dinner.

I was proud of our home, but one day when I had nothing else to do I stood in the lounge staring at the large blank wall. This was the one that I'd decorated with the trees formed by small lights. It reminded me of a very large canvas and I grabbed a pencil and treated it as one.

Fiona found me staring at the wall with a pencil stuck in my ponytail, another behind one ear and the third one I was chewing on. "What's this?"

"I've never been able to find the right piece of artwork so I decided to create my own. It's not there yet but I know where it's going and by tomorrow evening it will be almost done and I'll have dinner. That's different from this evening because I've done nothing about food. Fancy a pizza?"

Dinner was almost ready the following evening - a couple of nice steaks, mushrooms and baked potatoes. Fiona studied the wall as I plated the food, then she turned to me. "Spectacular. It's the view from the sunroom at Rose Cottage. But you've added a pier and some daffodils. I love it. Well done, it's perfect."

After we'd eaten we sat chatting until Fiona's phone rang. She looked at me when she hung up, "Jane's on her way. Bad day at the office, Jess and Vic are out for the evening and she needs company."

Jane stood for about fifteen minutes studying my new art wall, sipping her wine as she did. "Milly, it's amazing. It looks so simple, but you can see great details in it and there's a real ... I'm not sure, passion or love for the place."

"It was my home and refuge for a while. Cosy and mine. I found love there, not just once, but several times, Jenny and her friends, Bob, Alan and of course you two."

We were late going to bed that evening and drank a lot of wine as we recalled the fun times that we'd had over the years.

Daffodils

I got the door open, piled all the bags inside the hall and stepped back pushing the door closed with my bum. It had been a long day, or so it seemed. I'd been busy at work, good busy. I managed to get away half an hour early and get to the supermarket. Now I had the bags in the house and leaned against the door for a moment to catch my breath. I was home.

It was home now, I had it the way I wanted and Fiona liked it. It was welcoming and comfortable. I'd found places to walk; I was working at various things and when I got back here I knew that I belonged. I still missed Rose Cottage a little, but this was home now, Fiona and me, together and not a fantasy.

I was unpacking the shopping and putting things away when Fiona arrived. "Hi, love. You okay?"

I turned to look at her, smart suit, heels, hair up in a messy bun, handbag under one arm, laptop bag under the other, clutching her phone and with a wide grin. Still, my knees wobbled when I saw her, "I am now. Let me get this stuff tidied up and I can come for a kiss, I need a couple."

"Can I help?" she asked.

"Stay away from my cupboards! If you start putting things away I'll never find them. You could put those flowers in vases, lilies in the big vase for the lounge and the daffodils in a tall glass vase for the dining table, please."

After dinner we were sitting on the couch, I was reading and Fiona was surfing the net. Actually, our thighs were touching and I had my fingers resting on hers. I wasn't moving, but I could sense her slight movements and I concentrated on those feelings. Then she nudged me and turned her laptop screen towards me, "Did you know that there may be 160 different types of Narcissus which are the family that daffodils belong to?"

Fiona often came up with interesting facts, but this one threw me. "No, I didn't. Wow! Golly! How interesting! Gosh!"

"You are a sarcastic woman. I was thinking about them and decided to look them up, to learn new things."

"Well it is fascinating, but why?"

"The very first time we met you, Jane asked you about the poem by Wordsworth, which got us an invite to the Lake District and our first trip away from home. We both fell in love with you then, you were so good with us. When I put the daffodils in the vase earlier it reminded me of that and I decided to look them up."

I leaned over and kissed her. "I do remember that, but even more when you told me that you were expecting to be beaten and then you winked at me as you walked away. I remember thinking that there was no way that you could be eight, nine?"

123456...8