Missing Ch. 31-40

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The phone rang, and Susan reached for it and put it on speaker. "Leo Volkov's office, Susan speaking."

"Susan, it's Anthony McInnis. Have you heard what is going on down here?"

"Only that the Council put Leo under arrest when he arrived. I've got the senior leadership in the office with me now. It sounds like a shitshow opened up down there."

"It's worse than that," Anthony said with a sigh. "Mom went in and demanded that Leo be released. She came out in handcuffs and is now under arrest as well. The Council is holding a hearing on their fate tonight. If the jury finds they are rogues, Leo and Adrienne's execution happens immediately."

I was ready to transport myself through the phone and choke some Chairmen out! How DARE they! "I knew I should have been with them. What can we do from here?"

"Keep calm for now, Bonnie, but be ready. Right now, the Miesville Pack has no official recognition. If the trial goes south, you are a rogue Pack. You have to be ready if that happens."

"The vultures are gathering already," Susan replied. "We've got at least one sniper nest out past our driveway."

"Fuck. Alpha Owens planned this whole thing out," he growled. "Carl Owens was the one who filed the complaint with the Council that resulted in Leo's arrest."

Susan was about to crush the armrests on Leo's chair. "Carl made a run at Sharkbait while Leo and Adrienne had our Pack at the mall earlier this week. Little Canada is a forty-five-minute drive from here."

"If he's already got men in place, he counted on the Council killing Leo as soon as he arrived," Anthony said. "He's filed to get custody of Vicki under the Underage Mantled Wolf statutes. If Leo is a rogue, Carl claims he is the Alpha who 'discovered' her first at the Mall."

"He's an idiot," Susan replied. "You were here before the aquarium trip!"

"And I'll file a claim, just in case. I think Carl has one person he wants in his Pack to force his claim on Vicki."

I thought quickly. "Brent?"

"Yes. If Vicki's adoptive father is in the Little Canada Pack, he can petition the Council to deliver Vicki and Olivia to him."

"What if Vicki and Olivia decide they want to join a different Pack?"

"They don't have that chance. After Leo's arrest, the Council placed Vicki and Olivia in 'protective custody.' They tased Olivia when she didn't cooperate, which scared the hell out of Vicki. Enforcers put silver collars on the two and locked them in a bedroom in the Council wing."

"I'm going to FLAY those bastards," I growled. Sharkbait was a KID!

"Get in line. Anyway, you need to set 'repel boarders' because Carl will attack as soon as he can get away with it."

I looked around the room. "I'll make sure the Pack is safe, Alpha Anthony."

"I know you will. Alpha Doug Winters is sending help from the Winona Pack. You can expect them in the next few hours." I knew from my previous visits that Doug was the son of Larry and Donna Winters, former Alphas, and the late Luna Catherine Volkov's parents. They were staunch allies of Alpha Leo and helped out back when Alpha Todd attacked Leo and his young Pack.

"Tell them to load heavy," I said.

"They know. I've got to get back in and talk to the other Alphas. I'll let you know if I hear anything else."

"Thank you, Anthony," Susan said before she hung up. Looking around the room, she ended up at me. "What now?"

"We know Carl's men are watching, so we have to get our people into position without them knowing we know they are there," I said. "Start by moving the children downstairs, along with those that can't fight. Keep the safe room door open, put on movies, and take food down there. Meanwhile, we keep it looking like the party is still going on as we move people into defensive positions."

"What about the Winona Pack wolves?"

"They stay a mile or two away, ready to flank Little Canada's warriors when they start their attack. We catch them in the crossfire and wipe them out."

Susan smiled. "I like it. I'll handle everything in the house; you work with the warriors on defensive plans."

I nodded and got to work. Using the link, I gave instructions to the fighters. Out of sight of the watching Pack, warriors filled our defensive positions and got the weapons and ammunition ready. I went to the garage and dressed for snowmobiling, taking Leo's sled out of the garage.

I took my time driving the perimeter of Leo's property, stopping periodically to survey the land and take in the scents on the breezes. I spotted two more firing positions, one to the south and one to the west. The wind carried me the distinctive smells of two warriors I'd met just yesterday. "It's Alpha Carl's Pack for sure," I sent to the leadership. "There are two more firing positions set up, and I recognize Boyd Walker and Ken Burnside. Alpha Carl had them follow our people back from the Mall on Wednesday morning."

"Should we take out their sniper nests," Brent asked.

"No. We let our people know where they are, and when the shooting starts, we take them out first."

It took about thirty minutes to get everyone in place, and then the boredom set in. Alpha Doug Winters sent his parents and a few warriors to the house to join the party. Their presence would allow us to coordinate with the warriors staged a few miles away.

Sunset happened at five-forty. By six, the darkness was enough to hide movements from the humans, and the quarter-moon wouldn't rise until after midnight. We spotted the wolves taking up positions using thermal imagers, but they stayed far back from our borders.

"Two wolves are approaching from Miesville," Larry Winters told me. "Silver Ford sedan. Our spotter recognized one of them as a Council Enforcer."

"Wonderful," I said. "Another clown for the circus."

"And that is why we don't let you be our spokesman," Susan said with a chuckle. "I'll meet him at the gate. You make sure they don't get past me."

"Understood, Beta." I briefed our defenders of the plan before taking my position in an upstairs bedroom. I had a good view of the driveway, an elevated firing position, and a scoped rifle with a laser rangefinder. Life was good.

A few minutes later, the sedan turned off the road and stopped in front of the closed gate. Susan stood on the other side, one of our armed guards standing to her left. The man got out, leaving a younger woman behind the wheel. Susan recognized him immediately. "Council Enforcer Lassiter. What is your business here?"

He reached into his jacket, freezing as soon as he saw three red laser dots moving around his chest. "I'm here on official Council business," he replied. "Allow me to show you the order?"

The dots moved from his chest to the ground in front of his feet. "Proceed."

Clyde removed a document from his jacket pocket and handed it over. "By order of the Council Chairman, the Miesville Pack is now under a Council conservatorship. I am Temporary Pack Alpha until the current leadership is confirmed or new leadership is appointed."

"There are no leadership questions, Enforcer. Alpha Leo is our Pack Alpha."

"That is yet to be determined, Beta Susan. I'm sure you know that Leo has not been recognized by the Council, thus placing your Pack status in doubt."

"Then we have a problem, Enforcer Lassiter. If Alpha Leo is a rogue, then so is this Pack. Rogues are not subject to Council edicts."

"I'm trying to help you. Placing the Pack under Council protection keeps you safe."

The three dots went back to his chest. "Our warriors keep us safe. Go back to your bosses and report the Miesville Pack is ready to fight for what we have. Take the Little Canada Pack warriors with you. If not, the gun battle coming tonight will expose you all."

His eyes got wide. "Little Canada?"

"Yes," Susan replied. "They have been watching us all day. Even now, they gather over these hills in preparation for an attack. We are more than ready for them. We will defend our Pack and our land to the death. Look in my eyes and see the truth in that."

He looked at Susan for a few moments before looking away. "I'll be in touch," he said.

"Try Wiederholt's up the road while you wait for an answer. They have Prime Rib on Fridays and it is worth the trip. You might have a hard time finding a table for your girlfriend on Valentine's Day."

"I'll keep that in mind."

The dots stayed on him until they drove away.

Ch. 40

Council Fixer Clyde Lassiter's POV

Miesville Pack Border

"Well, that went well," Emily said with a snort as I got back in our rental car. She listened over the link as I talked; all Council Enforcers were part of the Council Chairman's pack link.

"We're still alive, so yes, Enforcer Jones, it counts as a success. There is no shame in recognizing you are outgunned and outmanned. I'd need a hundred warriors to take on a rogue Pack this size who knows we are coming, and even then, we'd take significant losses. Let's get out of here."

"Wiederholt's? I could go for a big slab of beef."

I rolled the windows down. "No, but start heading that way. At Highway 61, head east and then south at the next road. Beta Susan said the Little Canada Pack was around them and had eyes on us. They need to think we delivered our message and left."

"And with the wind out of the northwest, you can pick up their scents."

As she reversed out of the driveway and onto the gravel road, I sent a group text to the Council Chairs, updating them on the situation. "Leadership did not accept me or the letter. Little Canada is here. Investigating." I didn't get a response immediately, but I didn't expect to. Leo's trial had begun at seven Eastern.

I removed my clothes, putting them in the back seat. I kept my jeans, sweater, and shoes in a small bag at my feet. As we headed south a mile east of Leo's place, I started to pick up other scents. If any humans saw our car, I was a big dog with my head out the window. They might think Emily was crazy to have the windows down in ten-degree weather, but whatever. The scent started to get weaker. "Get to the bottom of that ravine and then stop," I told her.

"What are you going to do?"

"I can pick up at least a dozen wolves. I'm going to crash their party. Keep the car running and the window down, just in case I need an extract."

"I'll be right here. Call me if you need help."

Nodding, I grabbed the top handle of the bag in my teeth. I leaped through the window onto the ice and snow along the gravel road, knowing my grey and black fur made me nearly invisible in the dark. I went behind the car and into the trees along the ditch.

I wasn't a tracker, but some of the best had trained me. The group wasn't making it a challenge; they were sloppy, expecting all of the Miesville wolves to hole up in his house. I stayed in the woods as I worked my way between farm fields.

The Little Canada wolves sat in their cars, parked behind a pole barn on a small farm. They were out of sight of the road and the empty house. With the windows up and engines running to stay warm, they had no warning I was coming.

I stopped and shifted before leaving the trees, dressing quickly in the clothes I'd brought. Walking towards the parked cars, I figured the nicest one would have the senior wolf in it. I opened the rear driver's side door of a Ford Expedition and told the shocked wolf inside to move over.

I'd let my dominance out, which was enough to have the low-ranked wolf jumping back into the third-row seat. The Beta sitting on the other side wasn't amused, and he had his pistol out before I closed the door. "Who the FUCK are you," he asked.

"Council Fixer Clyde Lassiter." I loved how the scents of the wolves inside the vehicle changed when they realized who I was and the pile of shit they'd just stepped in. "The Werewolf Council sends me out to solve problems, and solve them permanently. Right now, you're MY problem. What is your fucking name, and what are you doing so far from home?"

He didn't like the look I gave him, but I was a stronger wolf, and we both knew it. He holstered his pistol and sent a message to the others to stand down. "Beta Todd Tanner. I'm here on Alpha's orders to take over the Miesville Pack."

I let out a chuckle as I took the paper out of my jean pocket. "That's funny, Todd. I'm here on the Council Chairman's orders to take control of the Miesville Pack as acting Alpha." I gave him enough time to read the order, then took it back. "Miesville is off-limits, Beta. Turn your cars around and go home, or I'll place you all under arrest and deal with you and your Alpha later."

Todd nodded. "I have to contact my Alpha."

I smiled, knowing I'd won. "Go ahead. I'll be waiting for you." I opened the door and got out, walking back towards the treeline. I didn't have to wait long. "Are we good?"

"We're heading home, Fixer," Todd told me.

"Good. Try to get your sniper teams out without getting shot. Less clean up that way." I turned my back on him and walked off, a bit of disrespect he'd chew on the whole way home. It took me fifteen minutes to reach the car. "That was satisfying."

"You didn't kill anyone," Emily stated.

"There's still time." I put on the rest of my clothes as she drove towards Miesville. We arrived at Wiederholt's, and my luck was with me. There was a late cancellation at eight o'clock for four people. I left Emily at the bar and stepped outside to make the next call. "Beta Susan, it's Clyde Lassiter."

"Was that you? The Little Canada wolves who were watching us got up and left."

"It was. Unlike you, the Little Canada Beta accepted the authority of the Council. They are returning home. That leaves only the matter between us to resolve."

"I wasn't aware there was anything left to resolve. My position was crystal clear," Susan said.

"Let's be reasonable, Susan," I said evenly. "I have a job. If I report mission failure, the Council will HAVE to respond. They'll send a dozen Council Enforcers to join volunteers from surrounding Packs. By morning, we'll bring a force big enough to take you all down. Nobody wins in that situation, especially me."

"What do you propose? I'm not going to let the Council take over our Pack while Leo is in trouble."

"I have a reservation at Wiederholts at eight. I'm here with Enforcer Emily Jones. You bring one person along as your bodyguard, we have a good meal and some wine, and we figure out what we can do about this mess before anyone gets hurt." I was amazed at how much of my job revolved around NOT fighting. The Council even sent senior enforcers to Crisis Negotiator school; the techniques were helpful when the wolves weren't completely feral. A peaceful solution was always preferable to bloodshed. "I scented Mary Tavistock as we drove around, so I know Winona Pack is working with you. Leave them in place until we are sure Little Canada isn't changing their minds."

"Fine," she told me after a few moments. "Leo's defense lawyer wants me to testify in his trial, so I'll meet you as soon as I finish. I'll be bringing former Alpha Larry Winters as my second. Order Larry and me rare king cut prime ribs with baked potatoes if we are late, and get a decent wine. I know you're on an expense account."

"Perfect," I said.

"See you in a bit."

Emily and I had a few drinks and were seated just before Beta Susan and Alpha Larry walked in. "Larry," I said as I shook his hand, averting my eyes first in deference to his status as a retired Alpha. "Susan, thank you for coming. May I introduce you to Emily Jones, who joined my team last year." The four of us sat down, and I poured the wine. "How did your testimony go?"

"I thought it would be all right, but who knows," she said. "Since all the Alphas are present, the proceedings aren't broadcast to the Packs. All I get is text messages from allies in the audience while the trial is on break."

The meals arrived, and we talked business over our thick slabs of Prime Rib. Our voices were too soft for others to hear over the din of the surrounding diners. "Susan, the Council is doing you a favor by sending me here. None of the other Packs would dare move against you. It's only for a few days."

"Leo will be found not guilty in a few hours," Susan responded. "How am I to explain to him and my Pack that I let someone else take his place, even temporarily?"

"I think he will understand that you are doing the best thing for the Pack," I replied. "Take a moment to read my orders. The Council is trying to protect you, and I have no interest in staying as Alpha any longer than I have to. Do you know how much paperwork is involved? Killing a Pack is less paperwork than running it."

Larry and Susan both laughed at this, and Larry was nodding in agreement. The two of them read over my orders and handed the decree back. I thought I was making progress when Susan's eyes glazed over. Her mouth fell open, she dropped her wine on the table, and tears appeared in her eyes. Larry looked like he was about to pass out. "What's going on?"

"It's Leo," Larry said as he stood up. "He collapsed during the trial. It doesn't sound good."

"Go," I said. "I'll take care of the bill and join you soon."

They took off out the door as I waved the waitress over. I had the meals boxed up as I drank the rest of the wine while Emily went out to start our car.

I felt like I'd been gut punched. If Leo died in custody, the shit was going to hit the fan.