Music and a Wayward Elf

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Do you give a lot of presentations?" Gia hid a smile at the feeling of the woman's fingers interlaced with hers. This wasn't the time to luxuriate in the contact.

"At least a few a year. Anytime I want to start a new project, I have to make a presentation. Usually, it's just a couple of people. Not working with an indie developer has me worried."

"Is this your first time working with a bigger developer?"

"No, it's the first one in a while."

"Okay, you have experience. That's good, right?"

"Yeah, but it's the first one in person since the pandemic. They're flying into town for me to give them the presentation." Caitlyn wasn't making eye contact.

"I can see why you would be nervous about that. Them coming to you has to mean they like your work, right?" Gia gave the woman a reassuring squeeze.

"My old work. What if I can't come up with a new idea?" Cait glanced over, meeting her vision for a moment. Her blue-green eyes had sorrow in them.

"You've done so well thus far."

"I'm trying something new this time." Cait looked away and blushed.

"Can... can I hear it, or will that make things worse?"

"Can you give me an honest opinion?" Caitlyn's eyes returned their gaze to Gia

"I'll do my best." Gia smiled as Caitlyn hopped up and sauntered to the desk on the opposite side of the loft apartment. Her eyes fastened themselves to Cait's amazing swaying booty.

"It's just using MIDI instruments. We'll get some musicians for the actual thing." Cat held up an impressive set of cans connected to her desktop.

Gia scampered over. She was failing to contain her excitement; this would be a Caitlyn Quay original that she was hearing before anyone else. The sound of guitars and percussion wasn't what she was expecting. Cait's music had been known to be orchestral and symphonic. This was something unexpected.

Doing her best to hide her shock was like picking up what she had assumed was water and getting a lemon-lime soda instead. Once she got over the initial surprise, she closed her eyes and started vibing with the music. She could see a battle seen playing out in her mind. A handful of defenders fought bravely against a horde of hideous creatures. Frenetic beats turned mournful in the center before a crescendo slowly built as if a new hope had arrived. The rest of the composition was more upbeat than the first, but there was a subtle undertone of menace at the end. It was as if the heroes had won the day, but the foe wasn't completely defeated.

The sweeping track was an epic journey in a single composure. It sounded fantastic in its current form, and Gia couldn't imagine what it would be like when there was a full band with guitars and real drums. Her wide smile wouldn't peel from her despite trying to be reticent and objective. She took the impressively large set of headphones off and handed them back to the enchanting woman, who now had a smile.

"Well, objectively, what did you think?" Caitlyn's voice was again soft and meek.

"It wasn't what I was expecting."

"It's a really different style for me." The taller woman seemed to shrink as she got a little more timid.

"That being said, it's also incredible, Cait. They're going to love this."

"Really." A thin smile appeared.

"If they don't, they're fools."

"Even if it's not my typical style?"

"You were worried about not being able to come up with something new, and this... this is extraordinary. You have a gift, Caitlyn!"

"Really!"

"I have a need to do some illustrating when I get home. It's that good!" Gia reached out a pulled her client into a hug; Cait held her close. "Oops... sorry. I'm not supposed to... You're a customer of Wayward Elves..." She stammered as she broke the embrace.

"It's okay." The woman that had a panic attack earlier was now comforting Gia. "You finished the shopping, right?"

"Yeah. I did. The gifts are over there if you want to take a look."

"Nope, I trust you. They're going to be great." Caitlyn flipped a phone out of her robe and fiddled with it for a quick moment. The silk sneaking further up her thigh was very distracting. "And now Wayward Elves is paid. As of now, I'm a friend, not a customer."

"I still need to wrap the presents."

"I paid for the hard part. Like I said, I trust you." Cait waved the concern away and motioned for Gia to join her on the couch again.

"Thank you." Gia sat beside her again.

They were quiet for several minutes, and then light conversation reigned. Hand-holding wasn't a thing again, but she liked being in the fantastic, flawed woman's company. Caitlyn's mood seemed further buoyed, laughing a little as the day went along.

"What... what's a panic attack like?" If Gia was falling for this woman, she wanted to go into a relationship with all the knowledge she could.

"I don't know what it's like for everyone with anxiety issues. I only know what it's like for me." Caitlyn's hand sought out Gia's again.

"Okay, that works for me."

Caitlyn twisted her wrist to show off her smartwatch. Her pulse was perfectly sedate right now, but there was a spike on the graph at about ten am that fell after a few minutes but didn't go back to near normal for an hour. "My heart rate spikes like I've been running sprints even when sitting still. That happens before my breath gets short, and I get a cold sweat going. It was terrifying the first time it happened, and I ended up in the ER. I thought I was having a heart attack at twenty-four."

"That sounds scary. How often does it happen?"

"This was the first since my divorce was finalized. For a while, it was several times a month. We thought my doctor and therapist had figured out the right combination of prescriptions." Cait squeezed her hand tighter. "I might be on what's the optimal treatment for me and still have them, but it's not as scary anymore."

"If I have a friend that has an anxiety attack, how should I react?"

"I'm not trained in the medical field, so I dare not generalize too much. However, if your friend," Caitlyn's lips curled into an involuntary smile. "Is like me, do exactly what you did this morning."

"What was that?" Gia honestly had no clue if she had done anything helpful this morning. "So I can make a note."

"You checked on me but gave me space. Telling me you had your phone if I needed it, let me know you were within reach. After that, you spent time with me and kept the conversation light. Having me talk about it once I calm down is also helpful. How did you know?" Cait gave her another squeeze.

"I just went with what felt right."

"You did well. Thank you, Gia. Now, get out of here so I can get dressed and get the rest of my presentation done." Caitlyn suddenly leapt to her feet, and her robe slid up her ass, revealing her tiny lilac-colored panties for an instant.

Gia barely managed to meet Cait's eyes as she turned around. The stunning brunette's booty was distracting. "You're good?"

"Yeah, I'm good."

"I'm just a phone call away, Cait. Don't hesitate to call or text me if you need anything."

"I will, Gia."

"Hey," It was Gia's turn to feel nervous. "Why don't you let me buy you dinner tomorrow night after you kick ass at your presentation?"

"Sure." There was zero hesitation and a radiant smile as Caitlyn walked Gia to the door.

Gia practically floated back to the train station. The weight of her shopping bags went unnoticed. Something extraordinary was developing between her and Caitlyn, and the panic attack didn't seem to deter either woman.

Caitlyn -- The next day

The presentation had gone amazingly. The three impeccably dressed producers vibed with the new direction of the theme she presented. There would still be a ton of work to get done, and she would be working with a songwriter for the first time. They wanted lyrics, at least for the theme song but needed it to flow with the rest of the score. The project was unique and thrilling, even if it had her slightly nervous. Only slightly, though.

When she got out of the morning meeting, Cait was happy to discover that the weather was warm enough for an outdoor run instead of resorting to another day on the treadmill. Exercise of any type helped control her anxiety, but running was her favorite, especially out on the well-trod paths of the local park. At every fork of the trail, the community tree-lighting ceremony was advertised. It had been there the few times that late November and early December had been warm enough to get out on the trail.

Typically, Cait would be engrossed in a podcast as she ran, but something else was occupying her mind and giving the dulcet voice of the presenter no purchase. A beautiful elf was buying her dinner this evening, and she was trying to decide what to wear. Is it a night out with a friend or a date? Since the divorce, she hadn't even considered a real relationship again.

There was the night of the bachelorette party. The one-night break from self-imposed celibacy was a fun interlude, but she hadn't been a fan of how it made her feel the next day. It was the single one-night stand in her life and would be the last. Cait was a serial monogamist; she had tried to replace what she had with Michelle with Mika the next semester but panicked again. Am I supposed to be with a woman?

The following school year, it was Darrell. There was never a spark between them, but she dated him for an entire semester. She stayed the following summer at the university to participate in creating the summer symphony. A three-week whirlwind romance with Anne, the cellist, fell apart when Cait took her to the family Fourth of July picnic and ignored the poor girl. I still didn't want anyone in the family to know. A couple months later, Jerome came into the picture.

I dated more girls than guys, and my family had no idea. Caitlyn pushed hard the last mile of the long five-mile circuit. Did my panic attacks start because I was someone I wasn't supposed to be? She knew that there was no magic bullet when it came to her anxiety, but she wasn't going to give up improving herself.

Caitlyn was dating Jerome the first time she had a panic attack. It was a couple years after college; she started to question what she was going to be able to do with what was essentially an art degree. She'd struggled to break into the market and get noticed. Jerome was in finance but the thought of being dependent on someone else, even if the man was her fiancé, caused her to dread the future. Even looking back on that moment typically caused her heart rate to accelerate.

What am I going to wear tonight? Cat had no desire to bring that anxious feeling to the fore. A dress? She envisioned a slinky blue number that made her eyes pop. It was clean and hanging in her closet. Cait had yet to find a reason to wear the gown since she had fallen in love with it on a shopping trip with her sisters. They had to encourage her to make the frivolous purchase. Am I sure that this is a date?

Slowing her cooldown lap, Cait paused at one of the posters. For the first time, she pondered the flyer's second half. 'First night of Hannukah lighting of the menorah.' I wonder if Gia would be interested? Having another event to attend with the pretty blonde would be fabulous.

The park was a short subway stop from her apartment, but Caitlyn drove when she intended to workout. That was if she didn't have time to walk back a dozen blocks to her apartment. When she was all sweaty, the thought of a busy transit car made her cringe. If Gia, however, decided to go to the event on Sunday, it would be a quick ride or walk over. Her heart pattered at the thought, not in an overtly anxious way but with happy excitement.

A long, hot shower relaxed her muscles as a symphonic rendition of her favorite songs from the RPGs of her youth filled her bathroom. Being self-employed, she didn't have a fixed schedule, and her promise of new work would wait for when the studios opened at the end of the holiday season. An email with a contract was waiting for her when she got home. She forwarded the document to her lawyer, who also happened to be her sister-in-law. Her role as legal counsel predated the relationship with her brother. Caitlyn had introduced them after her first big contract was finalized.

Steam coalesced and wreathed her body, keeping it concealed from the mirror as she blew out her long brunette hair.

*Ding.* Her phone cheerfully announced an incoming text.

'How'd it go?'

'Great! I got it!'

'Fantastic!!!'

'It's going to be a challenge, but it's my biggest opportunity yet.'

'Good, I'm going to take you someplace special tonight. I'll meet you at your place in an hour.'

'Sounds good!'

Caitlyn did a little spin in her bathroom; Gia's impending arrival was more exciting than the contract in her inbox.

Gia -- An hour later

Wish I would have gotten a chance to run home. Gia was wearing a charming blouse and skirt, but it didn't scream first date. After work, she had to run to the workshop and put in an hour of gift wrapping before she was free for the evening. Does Caitlyn think this is a date? G was hoping that was the case, but maybe she was misreading the remarkable woman.

Gia's heart was thumping as she knocked on Caitlyn's door. What if she's not feeling this? She tried to lower her expectations for the evening; Gia tended to throw her whole heart into things from the start. It had gotten her poor heart stomped on more than once. You still haven't delivered the wrapped presents yet. Another attempt to quash surgent expectations helped steady her heart rate.

When Caitlyn opened her front door, all attempts to mitigate the quickening pace of her heart were for naught. She was wearing her now familiar leather jacket over an elegant blue dress. Ample cleavage was windowed in brilliant cerulean attire that wasn't quite formal but was stunning, leaving Gia speechless for a moment. The woman's blue-green eyes leaned heavily toward the blue tone in her impressive outfit. Ruby red lips looked to be begging for a kiss.

"Wow..." Gia trailed off as she looked the woman up and down. A pair of red flats were a powerful contrast of color with Cait's pale, toned legs and the blue of the dress. It matched perfectly with the red clutch in her hand and lip gloss tone. "You look amazing, and I look a little schlubby. Now you make me wish I had gone home to get changed."

"Why? You look great, Gia." Caitlyn quickly locked the door. "Where are you taking me?"

"One of my friends from college has a quiet little spot that's walking distance from your apartment. It's just five blocks away. Since it's warm, we can walk together." There was a cold front due tonight, but she hoped they would stay in front of it. Gia finally gathered her wits as she followed the vixen, but not without taking in a mental photo of Caitlyn's perfect butt in the fabulous dress.

"Come on, slowpoke!" Cait giggled. It was the most beautiful sound Gia had ever heard. "You're kinda leading the show."

"Yes, ma'am. Come on." They weren't alone as they got on the elevator, so Gia stayed silent as they rode down the ten floors to the street. "I want to hear all about your presentation. If you want to share, that is." She prodded as soon as they were alone again.

"With my favorite elf? Of course! It is the holiday season." Caitlyn launched into a lively tale of her meeting and presentation. She was an animated and effortless storyteller, and Cait's mood improved with every step they took. Her account lasted until they were stood outside the little hole-in-a-wall restaurant.

"We're here, Cait." Gia watched her new friends widen in surprise. "It's small, quiet, and the chef owes me a lot. I introduced her to her husband."

"Lead the way. I trust you, Gia." Caitlyn spun on her heels and held open the door.

"Gia! Come on in. Trish has something special cooking for you!" A gregarious, bespeckled gentleman guided them deeper into the long narrow restaurant.

"Chris! I'm surprised to see you here this time of day." Chris worked at her marketing firm but wrangled their west coast and near east wings, so he worked mostly at night.

"I got promoted, which means a little less time with the misses, so I help out here when I can. We have the prime table for you. I heard you're celebrating something." He motioned up a small set of stairs to the right side of the long, narrow restaurant. The interior décor was decidedly more upscale than the exterior had appeared.

"Yeah, my friend Caitlyn just kicked ass at her big presentation, so I'm taking her out to dinner."

"Well, she must be a special woman if you brought her here." Chris pulled out a chair for Caitlyn. "Can I take your coats?" He asked before Cait could sit.

"Thanks, Chris."

"Is she a friend or a friend?" Chris whispered as he walked by and then winked. Gia shrugged but gave Chris a little smirk.

"So, what do people do on first dates these days?" Caitlyn smiled from behind a menu a minute later.

"Date, huh?" Gia returned the smile.

"I don't pour myself into this dress for just anybody," Caitlyn grinned at her.

"It looks delicious on you, Cait. I was really hoping it was a date." Gia reached across the table and squeezed Caitlyn's hand. "Let's see, nicknames?"

"Cait, Cat, Lyn, if you must. Anything based on my first name other than Caity, never Caity." Caitlyn's smile got broader. "And for some reason, even after twenty-nine years, the baby. My family has plenty of others, but you'll have to let them tell you about that sometime if you stick around. What about you?"

"Gia is a nickname already, but I think it's on everything but the most official documents. G or GG are also popular. What about Kitty for you?"

"I mean, as long as it's you, Kitty sounds good. Why GG, that's what three of my nieces call their grandmother."

"First and last names both start with G." Gia shrugged. Chris returned and set glasses of red wine in front of them. "It's a bottle of my favorite."

"What is your last name, GG?" Caitlyn toasted Gia and took a sip. "Oh, it's good!"

"I'm a woman of refined taste." Gia shrugged. "So my last name is Italian. My dad is an Englishman that's family was from Italy. His last name is Gentile."

"Wait, Gentile, as in not of the Jewish faith?"

"Yup, it was a hilarious joke in the family before dad decided to cheat on my mom. My dad's Catholic, and my mom's Jewish. I'm kind of both and neither. What about you?"

"The family is protestant. I believe, but I haven't been to church in person in years, not sense my anxiety started to get worse." Cait winced a little at the admission. "Do you want children?"

"Yes, at least a couple. I was always jealous of my friends with siblings. What about you?"

"That was my plan before the anxiety got worse. If I keep progressing, I want a small family, but two sounds good."

The new couple kept a lively conversation going as the appetizer appeared. All the food was spectacular, as always, from her friend, and Gia was delighted to see how Caitlyn's face lit up as she sampled the fare.

"Okay, so we got the easy stuff out of the way. Let's get to the real deal breakers. Cats or dogs?" Gia asked between courses.

"Both. Once I get a place that works better for them or someone else to help me care for pets." Caitlyn swirled her wine glass before taking another sip.

"Good answer. Now for the tough one. Dubs or Subs?" Gia sipped her wine.

"Are we supposed to discuss something like this on the first date?" Cait looked shocked. They had already covered religion, politics, and children. Each of those was supposed to be a faux pas for a first date, but it was forbidden whether they preferred subtitles or dubbed anime.

"I used to be a Sub girl," Ms. Quay continued. "But I like to have my favorite series on while I'm playing something, so now I prefer dubs. I think the voice acting has improved since we were kids. The fact that I have several friends that are voice actors probably biases me a little. I will watch subs if it's taking too long for the dub to come out. You?"

123456...9