All Comments on 'My Camping Trip'

by Unstably_Yours

Sort by:
  • 5 Comments
MigbirdMigbird11 months ago

That real person (Bear) for you became real - you brought him to life for this reader; like I knew him. And the camping background so richly detailed and real as well. No, not a happy romantic ending, but real and not surprising. He was as you said: “… didn't know how to be Bear with me after the fact; how to be the Bear you thought you were supposed to be for everyone else.” That second part of sentence captures him perfectly. I teared up reading your piece and felt the pain/frustration. “… trying to keep us whole and trying in your way to protect us. To think that we were somehow better off without you. But really, you were one of the best things that ever happened to me.” And to others. You leave nothing on the table when you write/share.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Wonderfully written memorial story. The tension created within the narrative between the Bear and the Amiga was palpably real. The closing eulogizing words resonated. My Camping Trip was a gift to this reader who mourns the loss of what was and yet remains hopeful for what may be Gracias Gracias Gracias!

Unstably_YoursUnstably_Yours11 months agoAuthor

Thank you very much @Migbird. This was the hardest piece I have ever written, but I had to find a way to preserve his memory for someone who had such a massive influence on my stories. I know Bear's suicide is just part of the epidemic of veterans who return home with wounds no one can see. We thank them for their service, but they deserve so much more.

💙 If anyone else knows someone struggling, you can call 988 and press 1 for veterans, or text 838255.

NorthJerseyLearnerNorthJerseyLearner11 months ago

Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. I pray for your and Bear’s peace. Veteran suicide is an epidemic and people need to be aware of signs.

Please take the call if you get one from a troubled friend or relative.

Please call if you think life is not worth living.

Rwg7Rwg710 months ago

Lovely story. Thanks.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userUnstably_Yours@Unstably_Yours
Literature- the original way to purge emotional baggage. Some of these stories have a place in my past, and others came from the fictional recesses of my mind. I see life thru shades of romantic tragedy, so if you want perfect/pink fluffy cloud pairings, this isn't it. Read, ...