All Comments on 'My Detailed Writing Process'

by AimEnigmaClick

Sort by:
  • 26 Comments
oneagainstoneagainst9 months ago

Good advice, especially the last part about remembering why you wrote in the first place. If you have a bunch of negative comments and a 4.5 star red H rating, it's easy to focus on those comments and not on the fact that a bunch of people must have (mathematically) rated your story a 5.

Jackie.HikaruJackie.Hikaru9 months ago

Wonderful advice! I could never do voice to text though. My officemates would catch on to me hehe

Aoife_from_UlsterAoife_from_Ulster9 months ago

Thank you I was unaware, or had forgotten about the copy/paste option version the attachment maintaining fonts and changes. A good article as a refresher. Too many times I tend to dwell on the negatives comments. Than you again.

vietnamvet14vietnamvet149 months ago

Thanks you, Amy, for some really good advice. It's just a shame why there are jerks who cannot give positive input. But I have figured a way to get around that! The stories I write are for MY benefit since they're my fantasies that I put in writing and therefore I really don't care what others think nor do I want to read their filthy comments. So I just don't allow comments nor a rating. It works for me!

Harvey_32Harvey_329 months ago

When I saw the title my initial reaction was WTF but assumed it is an erotic story involving a writer (Thinks to self might be a story line) to be fair I speed read and may have missed salient points but overall caught a few tips so thank you.

Bit about negative comments; I know my writing skills are poor, I came from a mixed nationality family and I don't care what people say, as a toddler learning to speak by foreigners does influence one for life regardless of how good the schooling is.

Anyway that aside, I have spent the whole of my working life in technical environments where the importance of getting the accurate technical information across, particularly when other nationalities are involved, totally usurps the vagaries of literary accuracy and brevity is equally important.

So those added together meant my initial foray into erotic writing failed miserably, first few stories rejected, maybe 2 or 3 times each and the struggle to find an editor made me all but give up. Then I submitted 2 self re-edited stories and they were published, the comments were demoralising to say the least but the private messages started arriving and giving the best feedback including an offer of editing; https://literotica.com/s/i-enter-a-new-world-with-my-son felt very different when I read it but seeing it published and the resulting comments was something else for me.

He assisted for maybe a dozen stories then messages stopped and I know not why.

I've received lots of useful comments privately and they are the useful ones, lots of really good ideas where a story should go in following chapters, mistakes etc.

Names to use? I got round that problem by sticking with one name for the central male regardless of who he is.

Subject matter? Well that one is different, I have got into the habit of writing things in a word document based on an experience of some sort, it may be very short such as "Dwarf on a bike." after seeing a Honda Goldwing stop in a MacDonalds, or it may be several paragraphs, an example of which was after talking to 2 very elderly ladies at a wedding and hearing their stories of going on holiday together and one fucking a young guy in the Hotel pool within 20 minutes of checking in but not letting him cum. The reason it happened being he was giving it the 'big I am' when he got splashed. It was followed by an apology round of drinks from him and during the holiday there were subsequent rounds of sex. One lady even showed me several pictures of the events.

When writing a new story I think about the things I have written down and start mashing them together.

I lost my virginity to an older woman so there are continuing mature stories.

I knew someone who went to prison for having sex with his underage daughter. As a 'youth worker' I became aware of a young girl who was being abused by her father and he was starting on her younger sister. So I have some experience of incest, added to that I always fancied the arse off my aunty so I have created incest stories.

Being a breast man who didn't breastfeed as a child (government propaganda after the war convinced women it was a bad idea to get more women working) there is a continuing theme of adult breastfeeding and nipple rings but I have no idea where that sprung from.

Finally I tend to have one idea, it may be the start, beginning or end and build a story round it, usually without a preconceived overall story. Classic of that is my "Dreaming of a white Christmas" which actually started with chapter 3 when I put the decorations up and wondered what Christmas would be like for a single person.

AimEnigmaClickAimEnigmaClick9 months agoAuthor

Oneagainst - I'm so glad you enjoyed the piece. I think in the future I'll make a post all about dealing with comments. I just thought it was important to point out that the people who dislike stories seem to be louder than the silent majority who do like stories. So you're right; there are probably plenty of people who love the stories but just don't feel compelled to say anything about it like the negative people do, who can disguise themselves as anonymous.

AimEnigmaClickAimEnigmaClick9 months agoAuthor

Jackie - Thank you, my love! ❤️

I only do the dictation when I have privacy lol. However, there have been times where I've gone on rants and my volume became pretty loud. Hopefully the neighbors didn't hear me lol

AimEnigmaClickAimEnigmaClick9 months agoAuthor

Aoifi - Yes, I have to reenter all the HTML tags when I copy and paste it to my notepad anyway. It's a bit of a hassle, but I'm willing to do it if it so I have control of my own story.

AimEnigmaClickAimEnigmaClick9 months agoAuthor

Vietnamvet - that was kind of what I told myself when I first started and I have to constantly remind myself as well. The reason I started writing in the beginning was so that I could get these stories off my chest, not to satisfy others. I've had an amazing experience, and I'm glad others have enjoyed my stories, but at the end of the day, I need to keep the perspective that this was originally for my own benefit.

Thank you for your service by the way!

TnicollTnicoll9 months ago

I really enjoyed reading your essay! I’m going to try your voice to text method, because I too tend to play out character dialogue in my head. Not sure what my wife would think when I do that at 3:00 in the morning. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

BazzleBazzle9 months ago

Great detail on the process 😀

Anonymouslover123Anonymouslover1239 months ago

Wow this is incredible! For a long time I've thought about writing my own story but never had the courage to do it. I didn't even know where to start. This was a great breakdown for me to look at and it really encouraged me. I also love the bit you wrote at the end about negative comments since that is one of my biggest fears. Great job and I will definitely look to you for more advice.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I have been thinking about writing a story on here for a long time. Now I will give it a try.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

I appreciate the effort. But this is called literotica.com. I see the lit. Where's the erotica

FreedomBaseFreedomBase9 months ago

Thank You ! ! ! This is very useful information. I'm impressed no end.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

This is wonderfully informative 👏

PappasleazePappasleaze9 months ago

Thank you for explaining what all it takes and for giving advice to up and coming writers. With your process I can see why your stories receive so many stars. I am sure you already realize from some of mu comments to your stories that you have a fan. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

WaxPhilosophicWaxPhilosophic9 months ago

I'll admit, I came here after seeing your rant on the bird app about the "little bitch" asking where's the erotica in this one. I laughed so hard I nearly nosed my diet coke. I know exactly where you're coming from with the "you read how much of this just so you could tell me you didn't like it???" I write a few domme-sub stories and I always put a disclaimer in the author's note. Yet in many cases, there's some reader who comments, "I didn't like the fact she called her Mistress." or something like that. Dude! The series is called Mistress & Charlotte. Seriously? WTF? So yeah, go ahead and let 'em have it over the "where's the erotica" comment.

And I completely agree with you on the formatting. I used to submit RTF files thinking there was an automated conversion process. But, like you, I often suspect it's just some poor volunteer copying and pasting. And yes there are mistakes. But that's life. So now I do my own formatting. And still make mistakes. LOL!

HotJimHotJim9 months ago

I always print out my stories for proofreading. Working with a different form -- paper vs. computer monitor -- helps make problems easier to spot.

harry_saffronharry_saffron9 months ago

Thank you for this guide. Great tips and really appreciate you being open to share!

Tomh1966Tomh19669 months ago

GOOD stuff Aimenigmaclick!

Especially writing for Loving Wives. You will get two versions of hate there. Anonymous and signed. If it is anonymous and runs something like 'utter trash' Ignore it. Drive by hate is ignored.

Some are anonymous and will write 5 paragraphs of what is wrong. READ THOSE.

I read all comments signed by someone. If you have the guts to say 'utter trash' and put your name to it... it took me a half second to read it.

I give the most weight to signed comments with detailed critiques.

Of course, I love the positive comments, especially ones that say my story is different than most others they have read and loved it. I had one recently that said they 'had wet eyes' reading my story. Yeah... made my day.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy8 months ago

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

5

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Very practical advice especially for submissions.

JezzicaDeeJezzicaDee6 months ago

Thank you for the advice! I prepare myself for negative comments, and I think you can learn something from them.

I write for myself, for my enjoyment, if other people like it, that’s great. If they don’t that’s ok too. I haven’t enjoyed everything I’ve ever read.

This was very helpful how to, 5 stars.

Toxic_monkeyToxic_monkey5 months ago

Thank you. I enjoy writing and I'm constantly looking for ways to improve. My goal is to craft a great story the readers enjoy. I aim to hit the sweet spot between their needs and my vision.

Since I've only published one work, perhaps you could explain why authors get their thongs in a tangle over stars and comments. Our stories reach thousands of readers every night, so why hang your head when less than five give an awful review?

Every artist seeks appreciation, but why do we need the world to profess its love every other day? Isn't it enough that people keep reading?

Thank you for the advice to submit stories in the text box. Wish I knew before uploading yesterday's piece.

I'm off to smoke ganja and right smut. Have a wonderful evening!

secretLacesecretLace5 months ago

Always great to hear how other authors write their stories here in Literotica. Sadly I do most of my writing in a semi public space so speech to text is off the table for me. otherwise I would have tried to give it a go. Seem like a great way of first be creative and then come back in the role of the editor.

I think you have a great talent and I love that you share your experience with us. <3

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userAimEnigmaClick@AimEnigmaClick
**I've received a few emails from people stating they cannot access my Patreon page in their countries. If you'd like to access stories that aren't available anywhere but my Patreon without subscribing, send me an email at aimenigma@protonmail.com. Let me know which story you'...