My New Life Ch. 03 - Collect Winnings

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I left the lights off in the main part of the house and turned the dog loose to help keep the RIF RAF away giving her the guard command "bewachen ". My brother had done the same keeping folks at bay.

I had put Jim's cell phone in my contacts so when my cell rang and I saw it was him I picked up.

"Hey Jim what's up?"

"Terry has your drawing package. The bank was quick to get it to him for a potential buyer.

"OK, thanks. I'll drive up and pick it up in the morning."

"Oh. Just FYI, the word is out on your winnings."

"Yeah, I know. I just released a statement to the TV, radio and newspapers on my front porch a few minutes ago and then closed the door and turned out the porch light letting them know the interview was over. Will probably be on the evening news."

"I bet you left them stunned. If I was a betting man." He laughed. "I'll have to tune in."

"Yeah, me too."

I said goodbye and disconnected the call. I had about a half an hour before news time so I poured myself a jack and coke. 'At this rate, I'll need another bottle soon.'

I had not been much of a drinker but this had been one hell of a day without having to deal with the media and a sudden deluge of friends wanting to help me lighten my new found financial burden.

I sat down and started screening the answering machine. I'd no sooner get a couple deleted and it would be full again. 'Damn! Hope this quits soon.' I thought but the news release had not had time to come out yet.

I had managed to get through about 20 messages deleting all but 5 that I needed to return. One from an aunt, sister of mom's wanting to know why all of those folks were doing at my house. She lived a little further up the road from Lance and I. One was from my uncle who owns the engineering firm I worked for during school. The other three were from my high school buddies wanting to kill me for not telling them the truth at the pizza house on Friday. I gave up on the rest for now as it was time for the local news.

----------

I turned the TV on and soon the news started with their lead story. ME! The guy presenting the news played up my curt talk as being a bit rude. I didn't care. My abruptness was justified in an attempt to put a stop or at least bringing a slow trickle to the beggars and further intrusions on mine and Lance's privacy.

I had to agree with him but it was a necessary evil to nip things in the bud.

My cell rang just after the clip. It was Lance, "Scott. That was just what was needed. You did an awesome job with the release Bro.

Between that and us putting Sally out to guard the place things have settled down for the night at least."

"Thanks Lance. Sorry to bring the hounds down on all of us."

"Don't apologize, you had the winning ticket, you get to enjoy it with as little headaches as possible. Betty's going to earn her money though" He said.

"Yes she is. I'll make it worth her wile though."

"I know you will."

"Well, I need to make a couple of phone calls before bedtime so I'll talk to you tomorrow."

We said our good nights and hung up.

I called my aunt first. "Scott, you cheeky devil you. How did you keep this quiet for a week?"

"Hello to you too aunt Caren." Laughing. "I had to make a quick plan and stick to it."

"Well, you did a right good job of the release. Your mom and dad would have been proud of you."

"Thanks. Say, can I come past to talk tomorrow, I have some more phone calls to return before bed and it's been a hectic week. Not to mention I need to go in to work tomorrow morning."

"Sure, until tomorrow. Good night nephew."

"Good night Caren."

Next I called my uncle and it was about the request for the complex drawings. I filled him in on what I was doing and the lottery winnings since he had missed the news. I told him I would be going over the drawings and would probably have a few questions for him before I made an offer on the rental complex. He was fine with that and would explain anything I needed.

I next called Stan. He put me on speaker phone since Larry and John were there.

"Scott! You dog. You lied to us at the pizza house on Friday." He started.

"Ah, Ah, Ah. I didn't lie, I just did not tell you the truth you didn't need to know at that point."

I heard Larry in the background, "He's got you there Stan."

"OK, OK, I'll give you that you had to keep things on the DL until you got things set up. We'd still like to talk to you though."

"Yeah, we need to get together soon. I have some things to let you all in on. Can we meet here at my house on Friday night? I'll grill some steaks and baked potatoes and have some beer iced down." I said.

"Deal." They all three said at once.

"See you guys then. Gotta get some sleep and head in to work in the morning."

I called Steve and told him I would be driving myself to work tomorrow since I wouldn't be staying all day. Caught a ration of shit from him because of the news. Told him I would buy him lunch one day next week and we said our goodbyes and hung up.

Time for bed. Work tomorrow.

---------

12