My Plus One

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dragging a hand over his face, and watching her out of the corner of his eye, he wasn't exactly thrilled to be discussing his private life in front of one of his students, especially her. "I'll do what I can, but no promises."

All sense of fun gone his brother's tone suddenly grew serious. "Henry, it's been nearly two years now. Don't you think it's time you got back in the game?"

Though he hated to get into it, especially in front of her, heaving a sigh he said, "Not that it's anyone else's business, but I like my life the way it is. I'm doing just fine on my own. And I sure as hell don't need anyone screwing with my head. And have any of you even considered the fact that maybe I don't want back in the game?"

"We just want to see you happy, Henry. And we hate to see you alone."

Henry glanced over at Marina, anxiously biting into her lip, obviously uncomfortable with the turn in the conversation, he softened his tone. "Chris, I've got friends I hang out with. I've got my classes, and I'm always busy. So, you don't have to worry about me." When the light turned green, a little embarrassed at his outburst, he muttered, "Anyway, traffic's starting to move again, so I should go."

"Even just for the wedding, try and find someone to bring, okay? Mom's worried about you, too. She thinks you're on your own too much. And she's even talking about finding you a date. And I know you don't want that. Or you could wind up with one of our cousins, and probably one of the weird ones. If you do decide to show up with someone, if nothing else, it'll get everyone off your back for a while."

"If I thought it would work, it might be worth it." Deciding he'd heard enough, Henry blew out a breath and said, "I'll talk to you later, Chris. Say hi to Jenn for me."

"Oh, one more thing before you go. Sounds like my stag is on again, and it's going to be tomorrow night. I know it's short notice, but I really hope you can make it. I didn't care if I had one or not, but my buddies insisted, said there was no way was I getting hitched without one last night out with the guys."

"So, where's it going to be held?"

"Um... at a strip club," Chris said sheepishly.

Henry eyebrows shot up. "And Jenn's okay with that?"

"Yeah, she's cool. She said as long as I look and don't touch, she's fine with it. She also told me that I should go and enjoy myself, knowing it'll be the last time I ever look at another woman naked."

Glancing across at Marina, Henry chuckled. "So, what's the name of this place."

"It's The Boom-Boom Sha-Boom Room, on one of the back service roads, out by the airport."

"Sounds classy."

Chuckling, Chris said, "Yeah, I thought so, too." "So, can we count you in? The foods supposed to be good. And there's a card room in back. So, we can play poker after the guys have had their fill of teasing me about getting married and forcing lap dances on me."

Marina smirked, as Henry looking none to thrilled, shook his head and said, "Yeah, I'll be there. So, guess I'll see you tomorrow."

Wondering what she'd thought of his outburst, Henry drove in silence for a while trying to decide what to say. Until Marina looked over at him and quietly admitted, "I haven't dated in over a year. Just got tired of it. Tired of all the lies, and trying to impress people I didn't even know, who I mostly never wanted to see again. My family is after me too, always trying to make sure I get out. Which is why my sister Annika keeps dragging me to all these different classes, trying to prevent me from turning into a crazy cat lady if I'm left on my own, I guess."

Brow raised, he turned and looked at her. "Why, how many cats do you have?"

"Right now, I've got three, but I had four till one passed away last month." Turning her gaze out the window, she let out a sigh, as she thought of her. "Precious had a good life, though. She was seventeen, and pretty healthy till the end. I had her since I was seven, when I found her abandoned as a kitten in a parking lot."

Henry reached over and squeezed her hand. "Sorry to hear that. But I don't think three qualifies you to be a crazy cat woman, at least not yet."

He felt relieved when she smiled across the car at him, though he was surprised to learn that she was only twenty-four. Since he was about to turn forty, he decided, even if he was interested -- which he wasn't -- that she was way too young to even think about asking out.

Then he smiled back at her when she said, "Guess because I work from home designing interior spaces, they all worry that without a man in my life, I might also turn into a shut-in that never leaves the house."

"Sounds like we have that in common. I know my family worries about me. But they don't realize that I'm happy as I am, whether I've got anyone in my life or not."

"I hear you. My grandmother used to say you have to learn to enjoy your own company, or you'll never be good company to anyone else. And I believe that, too."

Henry looked across at her and just stared for a moment, deciding they really did have a lot in common. For someone so young, she had a good head on her shoulders, and was really fun to be with. And she didn't take herself too seriously, unlike Tatyana, who even from the start, had never been very easy going.

Marina looked up as they pulled into the driveway of the two-story yellow brick shelter, decorated top to bottom for the season. Covered in fake spider webs with two big, fat pumpkins on the front porch, and hand-crafted witches, ghosts and skeletons hanging from the eavestroughs.

She noticed Henry pulled out his phone and called to let them know that he was outside with the cupcakes. Probably because they wouldn't appreciate some strange man showing up unannounced and knocking on their door, especially at night.

Marina watched the front door open, as an older lady with salt and pepper hair swept up in a bun, stepped outside to meet him. She smiled as Henry walked over to meet her, her eyes shining with delight as she accepted the big, long box of carefully decorated treats. "Oh, the kids are going to love these, Henry. Thank you so much for taking the time to make them. You're always so kind to us."

Henry just shrugged. "It's the least I can do. And I hope the kids enjoy their party."

When he got back in the car, Marina was eyeing him quietly as he pulled out onto the street, till finally she patted his hand and said, "That was nice of you."

He shrugged. "I like to help out wherever I can."

She just nodded, deciding he was even nicer than she thought.

"Have you had dinner yet?" he asked as they drove along a busy street, lined with restaurants and shops, as they headed towards her house.

"No, I didn't have time. I was almost late for class tonight, thanks to one of my long-winded clients who wouldn't get off the phone. So, I'll probably just fix myself a sandwich when I get home."

Henry put on his turn signal, pulled up in front of a quaint little bistro, leaned in and whispered against her ear, "Or, while we're out, we could grab a bite to eat, so neither of us has to settle for a sandwich."

She was still grinning at him as he came around and opened the van door for her. She noticed as he walked her inside, with his hand at her lower back, the owner's face lit up with a smile the moment he saw them walking in together. "Hey, Henry, long time no see."

"Yeah, I've been busy." He nodded at his lean, dark-haired friend, dressed in a fitted black suit with a narrow red tie. "Marina, this is Nando, who runs the best bistro in town. And Nando, this...uh, my friend Marina."

Though she grinned at his awkward introduction, Marina liked to think they were friends, because it seemed he really was a nice guy that she was hoping to keep as a friend even once the class was over.

Once he'd seated them in a quiet corner near the back, Nando lit the candle on their table, and smiled as their faces were bathed in a warm, romantic glow. "How about a tasting plate, for the two of you to share?" Nando suggested, as he spread white linen napkins over their laps.

"Anything you don't like?" Henry asked Marina while Nando waited to hear what she'd say.

She shook her head, looking back and forth between them. "No, I'm easy. I like pretty much everything."

That was a relief, considering how many women he knew who always seemed to be on some kind of special diet, or were just plain fussy.

Looking pleased, Nando winked. "Then I'll be back soon with some wine and your dinner."

Marina thought it might be awkward having dinner with Henry, since they only knew each other from class. But soon they were talking about everything under the sun, and laughing a lot, too. She realized, he was just so easy to be with and so much fun, she kind of wished it wasn't going to be just a one-time thing.

Placing a platter brimming with grilled meats, vegetables and seafood between them, Nando smiled proudly at his offering as he poured them both a nice glass of dry red wine. Her mouth watering as she eyed all the delectable looking morsels on the overflowing platter, Marina just hoped that Henry wouldn't be able to hear her empty stomach growling from across the table.

The moment she tried the baked shrimp nestled in a bed of creamy, melted goat cheese, her eyes rolled skyward, and she actually moaned out loud. It was so unbelievably tasty she realized she could have happily eaten a whole plate of just the shrimp.

Pleased to see she was enjoying her meal, Henry carved them both a slice of medium rare steak, that he watched her savor with a side of sautéed portobello mushrooms. That she seemed to be enjoying just as much, judging by the sexy little moans coming out of her after every bite.

"Everything's just so good. I can see why you enjoy coming here. I know I'll be back," she told him as she reached for a slice of warm, crispy-crusted baguette to dip into the melted garlic-laced butter from the escargot they'd already polished off.

As he topped up her wine glass, Henry agreed. "I know, right? It's nothing fancy, but the food's always amazing."

Even after she swore that she couldn't eat another bite, when his friend Nando came back and tempted them with three little desserts to share; a crème caramel, a chocolate-raspberry fudge cake with fresh whipped cream, scattered with fresh, tart raspberries and a warm, caramel-nut tart, she smirked as she reached for her fork. "Guess I'll just have to spend an extra hour on the treadmill tomorrow."

Chuckling at how much she was obviously enjoying a little taste of the three sweets, Henry was glad now that he'd decided to stop for something to eat. Or he would never have had the pleasure of sharing such an intimate meal with her.

****

When he pulled up in front of her house, they'd had such a nice night, Marina leaned in and impulsively pressed a quick kiss to his cheek. "Thanks for that delicious dinner, and for the ride, and especially for the help with the cake, Henry. I never could have done it without you."

"No worries", he said, as he reached up and touched a hand to his cheek, surprised that she'd actually kissed him. Finally, remembering where they were, he looked out at her tidy little house, illuminated by the street lights, and remarked, "You've got a nice place."

Following his gaze, Marina shrugged. "It's not much, but it's mine."

It was a comfortable looking house in a nice neighborhood. And he thought she was lucky at her age to have put down some roots, which was something he was still hoping to do one day, once he finally got his life back on track again.

Although she said she could manage, he still got out and helped her carry the cakes up to her front door. Then he smiled the moment she turned the door handle, when they were greeted by three mewling little fur balls that seemed pretty happy to see her. After giving them each a little pat on the head, he stood back up, feeling a little awkward, he shrugged. "Well, I guess this is goodnight."

Tempted to at least give her a kiss goodnight, even just on the cheek, he decided against it, because they hadn't really been on a date, they'd just shared a meal. Walking back to his van, he turned his head and gave her a wave, as she picked up the little white cat and waved back.

Funny, they'd been having such a good time that he kind of hated to leave. Though he definitely wasn't interested in starting anything with anyone new, he had to admit, he couldn't remember the last time he'd laughed as hard or enjoyed himself as much. She was just so funny and sweet, and so easy to be with, and pretty easy on the eyes, too. Which had had him thinking about things he hadn't thought about in a long time. Like what it would feel like to get naked with her and trace his tongue over every inch of her sweet little body...

****

Back at his place, sitting in his boxers on the edge of his bed, Henry picked up his phone, took a look at the time, and seeing that it was almost ten, tried to decide if he should call her or not. Then a shudder went through him as he considered the alternative. Just the thought of Jenn's cousin Deandra, all in black with that hideous laugh, had him deciding that he might as well try his luck.

"Hey, Marina, it's Henry. I got your number off my class list, and I hope I'm not calling too late."

"Oh, hi, Henry. No, I'm still up. I didn't forget anything, did I?"

"No. I was just thinking. I'm sure you heard the conversation I had with my brother about them wanting me to show up with a date. Since neither of us is seeing anyone, I wondered, if you didn't already have plans, what you'd think of coming to the wedding as my plus one. No one has to know that we normally don't see each other outside of class. And who knows, a Halloween wedding might even be fun, especially in an old haunted house."

"But am I expected to wear a costume?"

"I'll take care of that. You decide what you want to wear, and I'll pick it up."

Marina bit into her lip, smiling. "So, are we talking naughty nurse, or something a little classier, like a fairy princess?"

Henry Chuckled. "Personally, I like the sounds of a naughty nurse, but I'll have to look into the dress code. I'm pretty sure Jenn, being the bride, wouldn't want anyone in anything too sexy or over the top. So, I'll have to ask."

"It does sound like it'll be more fun than your average wedding."

"I bet it will be, knowing those two. So, what do you say, Marina, will you come?"

"Sure, I'll come." Sitting up in bed, with a silly grin on her face, she stared down at her phone, half-wondering if the whole thing was just a dream. And that her hot as sin cake decorating instructor hadn't just asked her to join him at his brother's wedding, as his plus one. "If you're sure there's no one else you'd rather ask?"

"No. I just thought since we're both flying solo lately, it might be fun to spend a few hours together. We had some laughs after class tonight, so I'm sure we can get through a wedding together, especially one as crazy as this."

Though he couldn't see her, she just nodded, feeling slightly disappointed that he didn't sound like he had very high expectations for even a pretend date with her. "Okay," she agreed. "Sounds like a plan. Once we figure out what we're wearing, I'll be there."

"Thanks, Marina. You're a life saver."

After they hung up, Marina put her phone down, flopped back on the pillow, reached for the remote and turned on the TV. She'd been yawning and ready for bed when he called. But now her mind was racing as she wondered what it would be like to even have a fake date with someone as hot as Henry Wilde, who she'd secretly been crushing on from the moment she'd first seen him.

A little curious about his past, after the conversation she'd overheard in the car, she picked up her tablet and decided it might be a good idea to google him to see what she'd find, especially if they planned to spend an entire day together.

The week before, when she'd been channel surfing, she was surprised to see him on TV as a judge in a baking contest. Then all she'd done for the entire program was wait for the camera to turn back on him, because she thought he was so much nicer to look at than any of the cakes.

Scrolling down the page on her tablet, she found an article about his television appearances. And no surprise, scrolling down a little further there were loads of pictures of him with beautiful women. Including a famous ballerina, who was clinging to his side smiling up at him, looking like they were way more than just friends.

Which made her realize why he had decided to ask her to be his date for the wedding, since she didn't stand a chance against any of the models and actresses that seemed to be his type. So obviously, there was no danger of them getting involved.

Putting aside her tablet, Marina turned out the light, wondering what she'd gotten herself into by agreeing to be Henry Wilde's companion, even for a single day.

Just starting to drift off, she nearly jumped out of her skin when her cell phone chimed again. Her heart pounding, wondering if it was Henry calling back hopefully to say something dark and sexy, she groaned when she turned on the light, reached for her phone, checked the call display and saw it was just her sister. Knowing she'd want a play by play of what happened between the two of them once they were on their own, she decided not to share anything more than what they did with the cakes.

"Hey, you," Annika said. "Hope I didn't wake you. I just got home from mom's and I couldn't wait to hear what happened."

Marina shrugged, because the truth was, there wasn't much to tell, although they did have fun. And he'd also shown her that he had a pretty good sense of humor, at least once the two of them were alone. "Henry helped me decorate another cake that actually looks like a spaceship. And I brought the other one home, if you want to come over for coffee tomorrow to help me eat the nasty thing."

After Annika laughed at that, she said, "So... that's all that happened? And I was so hopeful. I've noticed the way he looks at you, and I was sure he was interested. I just can't understand why he wouldn't try anything when he had you all to himself."

Deciding to keep quiet about the dinner they'd shared and the invite to the wedding, since even Henry had said that it wasn't really a date, Marina basically told her the truth. "Sorry to disappoint you, but nothing happened. Except that he taught me how to use a star tip."

"On you, or on a cake?"

Though she laughed, Marina wondered what would have happened if they had gotten busy with the icing, because she knew exactly where she'd like to ice him, before she took her time and slowly licked him clean. Heaving a sigh, she said, "Sadly, just on some cupcakes. I helped him decorate some little pumpkin cakes for a kids' party at a women's shelter."

"Oh, how sweet of him to do something like that. But that was it? Not even a kiss goodnight?"

"Nope. He drove me home. I thanked him. We said goodnight, and that was it."

"Then I think you'd better dress a little sexier for our next class, and show some cleavage, and see what happens."

Not that she'd tell her sister, but Marina had already been thinking about finding a sexy Halloween costume to wear to the wedding, that would really show off her girls. Still, she couldn't imagine giving him a show of cleavage at their cake decorating class. "I don't think so. If he's not interested, he's not interested. And I don't think flashing the twins is going to do anything to change his mind."

"Could be he's not into women, and that's why he didn't try anything with you. Though he looks pretty straight to me."

Starting to yawn, Marina decided to change the subject. "So, will I see you for coffee tomorrow?"

"Hopefully, I'll be there sometime in the afternoon. I've got brunch with Ryan tomorrow, that hottie I told you about that I met at the gym, that's all tall, dark, handsome and nothing but muscle. So, don't put the coffee on till I phone to confirm, just in case lunch turns into something more," Annika said, with a naughty laugh.

123456...9