My Priority

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Trevor," I whispered without breaking my stare. "Do you got any coins in your pocket?"

A shaky hand shoved an object into my gloves as the animal flapped it's wings. We barely could register that the thing had jumped before being given an opportunity to move, but I quickly thew the coin at it's head and scooped Trevor into my arms as we dove to our left.

It screeched loudly and grabbed at the coin that it managed to further bury into the snow before taking a moment to simply stare an the two of us who were now close to the buildings. I stood with my blade aimed at the four foot tall creature, it appearing to be a more feasible opponent now that it was grounded. It screeched, I flinched forwards, and it quickly turned to take to the skies with the coin clutched firmly within it's talons.

My blade met it's sheath as I sighed and met Trevor in the alleyway.

"You OK?" I asked as my fingers sort of fumbled for his when he reached for me.

"Yeah, I think so. Are those common around here?" he asked, his eyes full of worry. "I have never seen one of those so close to a city."

"I will report it to the authorities tomorrow and they will have to send lookouts. I mean, we get wolves and coyotes that skulk around and go through the garbage, but the larger ones are usually not that audacious," I then smiled at Trevor, his face barely visible in the shadows. "Thanks for the coin, I don't think I would have been able to defeat that thing without injuries, especially with it flying that fast. Anyway, know a detour to your house?"

With that, I offered my arm and Trevor gleefully took it.

---

"That was entirely nuts," he said sometime after as a few lanterns flickered above us while we wove through the city.

It took me a bit to notice that the detour Trevor lead us through had at least a few street or house lanterns that still glowed at such a late hour. The overcast above us had briefly cleared to allow the moon to grace us with it's light. We had spent the last several minutes walking far from the location we started, not really knowing what to say but staying close to one another. I had figured that Trevor needed it more than I had until I realized I was still tense long after, my fingers poised to reach for my blade at any moment.

"Yeah, I'm just glad that you're OK," I replied as I reached under my fur hat to scratch at the bead of sweat that my hair had held despite the cold around us.

Trevor smiled at me and stopped in front of a set of conjoined brick houses. Their front structures were designed to be quite pretty, the architecture jutting out to create a cozy porch and give the illusion of a singular home when they were, in fact, apartments.

Trevor made no move in any direction, so I headed to a public bench that sat between two of the conjoined apartments and dusted the snow from it's surface. My thick coat of course allowed none of the frozen wood to chill through as I sat down to gaze at the cloud covered sky, my head wishing that I could be dreaming near my hearth of all things. Eyes closed to allow my mind to drift for just a moment before feeling a light plop as Trevor sat next to me.

"You look tired," he nearly whispered in a bemused tone of voice.

"Well, you worked a similar set of hours as I did and neither of us had made it to bed," I slyly grinned at him as he gave a light giggle.

Light snow, the absence of wind, and the quiet all around us had made the scene serene enough to allow my mind to drift, me feeling that the tiny light of the city was enough to allow a relaxing nap even in the middle of winter. The only thing that was missing was a cup of hot cider, but our coats were more than enough to keep us from freezing to death.

"You don't want to sleep out here," he whispered.

"And why not?" I jokingly asked, refusing to open my eyes.

"Because there are rabbits around and they will poop on your feet?" he giggled.

"Rabbits? I'm supposed to be afraid of rabbits now?" I replied with a smirk.

He giggled some more and shifted his weight on the bench. "Or the raccoons, they will pick at your coat buttons with their tiny hands. Oh, and you should beware of the pigeons; they kinda do what you would expect."

"Ha, I'm terrified," I grinned.

We silently sat for a moment or two before Trevor decided to break the silence.

"Even though you are tired, you seem lighter than you were earlier today. Glad you are feeling better," he said.

"Oh, it wasn't that bad..." I trailed off, considering how I felt at the beginning of the day and how little I thought of Trevor at that time. "Yeah, I think I am feeling better. Just decided to accept some facts, I guess. I mean, I had some help, but yeah."

I exhaled and opened my eyes, noting that Trevor was sitting on the bench with his arms resting on his legs, his feet propped up on the bench like a kid; I suddenly felt guilty of previously thinking so ill of him.

"Sorry for being a pain today, your cheeriness is actually good for the lodge," I said.

"Wait, what are you apologizing for?" he said giggling and lightly tapping me with his shoulder.

A smile crossed my face and I rolled my eyes up to the sky. "I probably seemed ticked off at you today, but you know...you're doing a good job and stuff."

"Come on, what is this? You never seemed upset at me," he said.

"No seriously, I was a bit short with you at the beginning of the day, so I dunno, worried that you felt offended or something," I said, now wondering why I could not stop talking.

"I just thought you were a grump, never applied it to me," he said, now donning a grin and flipping his bangs up with his breath.

"Geez, I am a grump," I grinned back.

"Well, your Mom said I was a delight, so I guess my presence will balance you out," he giggled, sticking his tongue out at me slightly and winking.

"Oh, so a little competition is going to be how this relationship works," I said with a grin and nudging him before suddenly going wide-eyed and breaking from his gaze.

"Relationship?" he teased.

"Hey, I meant working relationship," I said with my arms crossed and eyes squinted while my cheeks suddenly burned hot in contrast to the cold. "Either way, the crew really seems to like you, so I'm glad you are getting along well with them."

"Me, too," he gleefully said. "They have invited me to hang out with them at the Holiday Festival, so I'm pretty happy with that."

"That's awesome," I said while looking up at the falling snow.

We sat there for a while and we eventually met each other's gaze before smiling awkwardly.

"Heh, speaking of relationships, you are not going to be angry with Hunter and Emmie, right?" he said with a more serious tone.

"Angry? You mean getting mad that she flirts with him?" I asked.

"No, I mean, it's obvious they are dating, or at least thinking about it. Will they get in trouble with you or Boss?" he asked.

"Trouble?", I asked, trying to shake off the brief confusion. "No, no trouble at all. I guess I see where you get that idea. No, I don't care who anybody dates as long as they remain proficient and don't cause drama if a relationship ends; Mom feels the same way."

"How often does that happen?" he asked.

"Mom and I get pretty lucky with picking out reasonable people...I mean, Mom's a great judge of character so there is that," I said with a shrug. " But we did have an incident long ago, back in time when Mom would actually work a full shift."

We both giggled at that, Trevor now knowing a bit of the dynamics around the lodge.

I continued after we finished snickering. "Either way, Lorelei got a tad too serious with a guest that was staying for several months but begun letting it slip into her job when the guy started taking other women to his room. I let her avoid him for the first few weeks until both Mom and I told her that she needed to drop it and move on. The guy was working a long set of months, so was not due to leave for some time."

"How did she manage all of that," he asked.

"Oh, quite well, actually. Mom gave her a lesson in cold professionalism, but I was sure to butt in and tell her that being cold was not necessary. Mom allowed it, but it ended up being the better option since it satisfied Lorelei enough to feel that she got at least some revenge on him while still doing her job. Either way, I'm telling you this not to spread drama, but to be clear that everyone needs to continue working regardless of who's feelings are in play."

"This is good to know!" Trevor gleefully said.

"What, you want to date Lorelei already?" I teased.

"Hey, no, that's not what I meant," he said with a giggle. "I'm just really happy for Hunter and Emmie; they get along really well."

"I'm tired so I will accept that explanation," I said then stuck my tongue out at him.

"Don't tease," he said, faking being offended.

"Fine, fine, you have your way, I'm going to sleep!" I said as I closed my eyes and faked a snore.

"The raccoons are going to get you," he giggled as he lightly bumped his shoulder to mine.

"Scary," I said with a wide smile. "I'm so scared that I'm just going to fall asleep right here."

I giggled at myself, but the truth was, I legitimately was that tired. My mind was simultaneously fuzzy while also wondering why it was so difficult to end this conversation and start my short journey home; why it was so comfortable to be on this bench, under this light, with this company that I had found so annoying early in the day. But sometimes, there are those people you can endlessly talk to about literally anything and never become bored.

"Gemini," said Trevor as a warm hand patted my face.

"What, hey cut that out; trying to sleep," I jokingly said.

"Well, at least you're awake; thought I lost you for a moment there," he said.

I really did drift asleep, me realizing that the cold stung my lip where I had lightly drooled and my arm lazily sat on Trevor's waist...that waist that I slowly began to creep away from.

"Sorry...uh...sorry," I said as my head started to become aware of my surroundings.

A light layer of snow sat upon my coat as I looked about me and wiped the drool from my lips.

"It's OK, you were only out for ten minutes," he said, giggling.

"No, I should not have done that...sorry about that...not trying to be rude," I stammered.

"Does not bother me, you were out cold and it was cute," he nearly whispered. "I am sort of avoiding going inside, anyway."

"Wait, no...I mean me grabbing you, I did not mean to do that," I said, my brain clumsily trying to parse his words. "Uh, we are at your house? Why are you avoiding going in?"

"It's just stupid stuff; my roommate and I have been having arguments, so I'm hoping to avoid her for a while," he said.

"Ah, this is the place, then," I said while trying to look behind me. "Cruddy roommates suck but I hope you could figure it out. Well, at least I got you home safely."

"Yes, this is true," he said with a warm smile.

I sat up to rub my eyes with my snow covered gloves. "Well, it's really late and I better get back to the lodge to crash. You sleep well, now."

"Yeah, that's probably for the best," he said with a giggle. "Hee hee, you make me worry that I need to escort you home so you don't fall asleep on a rock in the woods."

"Hey, not fair," I said as I nudged him a bit before getting to my feet and taking a long stretch.

He remained seated, blushing at me and smiling while gazing through those innocent hazel eyes. I offered my hand to him and he happily took it, me easily pulling his light weight up.

We walked to one of the sets of stairs behind us and I watched as he ascended them and produced his keys from his coat pocket. Before he unlocked the door, he stood there briefly to gaze at me and give a tiny wave. I waved back and told him to have a good night, and he smiled before entering the apartment and slowly closing the door behind him.

"What is wrong with me," I whispered to myself halfway through my walk back home.

Before I knew it, I was in my apartment and I had managed to start a fire in my hearth with little thought.

"He said I was cute?" I asked myself as I climbed into my covers to forget the world.

-- Chapter 2 - The Festival --

The large grandfather clock in my living room chimed six times, goading me from the covers to done my clothes and make it to the lodge common area outside of my apartment and down the stairs.

"Morning," Mom said, her leaning on the bar counter with her elbow and the daily paper being ignored underneath her arm.

"Good morning," I stated as I fished the pies out of the pantry that Lorelei baked the night before.

Mom sat up to yawn and stare at me as I drearily served her usual dish.

"Something is up with you," she said with a grin and lowered eyelids. "What mischief did you get into last night?"

"Heh, no mischief," I said. "Just tired. I made sure that Jeramin and Trevor got home safely."

I yawned, glanced at my grinning mother, and quickly added, "Oh yeah, Trevor and I nearly got attacked by a four foot tall owl, so I should head to town to report it."

"Oh, don't bother. The shop is in town, so it's just logical to have me do it instead," she said.

"Thanks, that saves me some time," I stated.

"OK, tell me what happened last night, you are all sorts of smiley and I was worried that you would still be pouting over Samantha," she teased.

"What, I'm not smiling; who's smiling?" I asked.

"Hey Gemini," said Ceresh as he thudded his weight into his chair. "Huh, you seem happy today."

"I have no idea what you goobers are talking about, but here's some coffee. Both of you need to wake up because you are clearly still dreaming," I laughed.

"This is only a half-day for everyone, right?" asked Mom.

"Shorter than a half day; everyone is leaving early to join the festival," I said. "You going to the beer chugging contest, Ceresh? They have a pretty large prize this year for the winners."

"Yup, and I'm going to take that prize! Our whole shift is off for today, so I'm going to be horking down BBQ and smoked salami," he said proudly.

"So no soup for you, I'm guessing?" I teased.

"Oh, I will take the soup, and don't forget the cider," he grinned. "Going to need it to get through the morning cold."

"They will have the bonfire up soon enough, so it won't be too bad," Mom said.

"You going to join us all?" he asked.

"Nope, but someone is bound to remember to get me a funnel cake, so I'm looking forward to that," I said with a grin.

Mom raised her eyebrow at this and finally turned her attention to the paper. Ceresh ordered double the soup and had it down in less than five minutes.

About thirty minutes later, Trevor, Jeramin, Emmie, and Hunter entered the doors and immediately got to work. Lorelei emerged from the second floor and joined us.

People slowly filled the common area, clearly taking it a bit more easily since they did not have any pressing appointments. Some came down as usual and left to go to work, but the majority meandered around until they decided it was time for them to join the festival. They were sure not to waste too much time once the sun came up, and the lobby was bare before we knew it.

"All right, lets get tomorrow's breakfast baked and prepared early today," I said, everyone helping in the kitchen except for Jeramin who took over the day's housekeeping duties. "We are making lunch, but everyone knows that the kitchen is closed tonight and the bar is only going to serve a limited selection. Should not bother anyone since most will be at the festival."

We quickly cleared the floor of the breakfast rush and finished preparing food for lunch and the next morning's breakfast.

"Good work, everyone," I called. "I really wanted to give you the day off, but Mom and I could not find a temp crew for today. We will figure something out for the actual holiday to allow for some of you to travel. Either way, thanks for the help and have fun at the festival!"

"If you end up getting some time to come, you are fee to join us!" said Jeramin. "My wife is one of the writers for this year's play, so I hope you can make it there if you get time off."

"Yeah, we are all going to the play," said Emmie as she and Hunter exchanged smiles.

"Thanks, guys," I said. "You have fun now."

They all bustled with conversations of holiday booze, candy, popcorn, steed rides, and a Ferris wheel. Hands waved to me as they headed through the door to leave me alone at the bar.

The day drearily went by as I performed some deep cleaning to some of the kitchen corners and took up the housekeeping duties. Because the bar was empty and the kitchen was closed, I soon found myself monotonously re-balancing the months bills before realizing I was getting the same result over again and finally retiring it to Mom's office.

A few people came to the bar to get coffee and complain about the noise emitting from the festival but I was more than elated to see Trevor emerge through the doors and trot quickly up to me.

"I had gotten this for you," he chimed as he placed a small box on the counter in front of me.

"Thanks," I said as I opened it and took out a huge candied apple.

"Sorry it's not a funnel cake; I will grab you one of those later," he said with a wink.

"Heh, not a problem; I love candied apples. Thanks, Trevor," I said smiling at him. "Oh, before you go, I owe you this."

My hand fished through my trouser pocket and handed him a gold coin.

"Why are you giving this to me?" he asked, his cheeks turning a light pink.

"Cause you had to sacrifice one of yours to that monster of an owl, so I figured I'd pay you back," I said. "You were under my watch so it's only fair."

"Thanks, Gemini," he said with a sweet smile and a bright pink blush. "So are you dying of boredom yet?"

"It's not bad, and keep in mind, I don't intend to work through the night or anything. I'm still taking time off, I just need to do so while in this building in case of an emergency," I said, smiling to him.

His hips swished and he sat in one of the bar stools opposite from me to tilt his head and give a content smile.

"What are you doing; run off and have fun," I said before picking up the apple and taking a bite.

"It's good, isn't it," he asked.

"Yeah," I confirmed after swallowing. "I bet it smells fantastic at the festival."

"Oh, candy popcorn, cotton candy, and all the smoked meets and breads," he giggled before setting his voice in a whimsical tone. "But it's not that great, you aren't missing much. In fact, I could stay with you the rest of the night and there would be no events forgotten."

"Yeah, right," I stated as we both giggled.

"Heh, it's magical; definitely a bigger festival than in my previous town. Really wish you could join us," he said while biting his lip.

"Wish I could, too," I said with a smile. "Anyway, you having fun with the rest of the crew?"

He leaned forward and placed his elbows on the counter. "Yes, you were right, they seem to like me; it's quite nice."

"That's fantastic," I said. "Anyway, you should probably get back with them."

"Yeah, but they will have presents for you when we get back!" he happily stated as he got up a from his seat.

"Take care," I said and we both waved at each other and he was off.

"He's flirting with you," Mom's voice called from across the common area.

"What do you know?" I said with a challenging tone as I grinned at where she sat at the large hearth. "When did you get back, anyway?"

"Got here sometime after he came in, but my daughter was a bit too distracted to notice her sullen mother," she teased.

"Sullen is not the word for you," I said as I preemptively brought her some coffee. "The festival already wear you out?"

She played with her golden hair and released it from it's braid. "Nope, just taking a break and thinking about things."