My Priority

Story Info
One whimsical night and a kiss was all it took.
34.3k words
4.6
16.6k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

- My Priority -

---------------

-- Chapter 1 - A Usual Day's Work --

"Here's your order, please let me know if there is anything else I can do!" sang an all too happy voice at an all too early time in the morning.

Light from the hearth's ample fire bounced off of the frosted windows of Boss' Tavern and Lodge and cold wind would occasionally whip through the drafty door. Some of the travelers to the right of the bar were already drinking it up after a late night of the same activity. Other guests ordered meals with dreary eyes and pensive attitudes as they contemplated another hard day working in the sub-zero outdoors.

I yawned at the deep darkness that gripped my sanity during the cold months, wishing I was still in my warm bed upstairs near my warm hearth.

"I'll take your largest cider," said a stocky man as he slapped his hands on the thick boards of the mahogany bar table.

"Coming right up, Ceresh. You look like your doing better this morning than you did yesterday," I said with a light yawn.

"That's the dragon blood in my veins!" he nearly shouted with a grin and flexed his muscles. "My Mum was a proud dragonkin and my Dad a proud dwarf; you can't get tougher than that!"

"Careful, now, you will excite the rest of the bar at a way too early hour," I huffed with a little shake of my head. "I was up too late last night with last nights brawl between a few nagas and dwarfs that decided to have some sort of contest."

Ceresh gave a hearty laugh as I returned with his cider.

"You'd think you'd be used to this place by now; how long have you owned it there, Boss?" he asked with a laugh.

"Oh, I'm not 'Boss'; that's my Mom. But I get it, I've been the operator here for years. Heh, I should be the boss at this point, but my Mom is being super stingy with things lately," I groaned and rolled my eyes while wiping the counter.

"So yer Mom's gotcha down because you can't own the place?" he teased.

My mouth opened with a response but I was instantly hushed by a chipper voice behind me.

"Everyone really likes the yak soup, but I think we are going to be out of it soon enough," said a small being that swished thick hips and smiled brightly at me.

"I'll start making more of it in about an hour," I said. "Just make sure that everyone has enough hot cider before they head out to work."

"Will do!" said the half elf before whisking off.

"That's what's got me down," I said with a sigh as I jerked my thumb towards at the chipper half elf.

"Really now, what's your beef with her hot little ass," he said with a large smile. "I'll have to remember to ask her out tonight."

A laugh escaped from my mouth and I quickly waved the half elf back to the bar counter.

"Trevor, can you tell our guest here why you can't go out with him," I said with an all too giddy tone.

Trevor delicately set the dishes he was carrying down onto the table and walked towards us with swaying hips. Both Ceresh and I stared as we got lost in the fluid movements, Trevor's low cut dress swishing with what had to be a natural gait.

"Oh, sir; I'm not into guys," he said with a light smile as he fingers gently twirled a tendril of hair that was not restrained in his ponytail. "But I'm also a guy, so you would have to be OK with that."

With that, he whisked off and fluidly continued the work that he so easily paused.

Ceresh stared at me for a bit, shot me a look of confusion, looked back at Trevor, and shook his head while I laughed at him.

"Seriously had me fooled, he fills out a skirt and has more sway than you," he grumbled while taking a big swig of cider. "That took no time at all for him to turn down old Ceresh."

"Serves you right for hitting on nearly everyone!" I said with a giggle.

"Heh, at least I try," he grinned. "Truth is, I'd still go for it."

I shifted my weight to my other leg. "Does not surprise me, but you know the rules; no asking the staff out more than once."

"Loud and clear," he said with a smile. "So what's your issue with him, then?"

"New help. Mom hired him a few days ago and honestly, he's a bit too much to handle," I groaned.

"I'm surprised; ya said you were going to hire that red head," he said with a wide grin.

"Yup, and Mom vetoed it immediately," I stated and rolled my eyes.

"Didn't you say that she already turned you down?" he asked, taking another swig from the large mug.

I swooned with a dreamy little smile. "Seven times. But she keeps flirting with me, dancing with me, drinking with me. Figured she'd finally date me after I hired her."

"You don't give up just like me!" Ceresh gave a bold laugh as I shook my head.

"If I could eventually marry, Mom would finally give the bar to me; and Samantha would be a great bride. But she already said it won't work out and she's been harping on me to date because she wants to get away from this place," I stated as I placed my elbow on the counter. "I told her yesterday to just freaking go but she's set in her ways. She was pissed when I divorced my wife years ago."

"Well, if ya want's to start dating, I can be your guy!" he grinned and flexed his muscles.

I quickly gave him the stink eye and grinned.

"I already turned you down once; that's my final answer," I laughed before turning around to put up a few large mugs.

"Eh, thought I would try at least one more time, and you don't count as 'staff'," he said with a grin. "Ya have a nice lodge here."

He was right, the lodge was large and ridiculously so, holding a huge common area and nearly thirty individual rooms that guests and travelers would book. The main hearth towered at nearly ten feet and the ceiling stood high above the three story structure.

"Thanks. Mom built it with the rest of the old village nearly two hundred years ago; long before she had me," I sighed.

"Probably why she wants to get out so quick," Ceresh said.

"I can only imagine," I stated, shifting my weight to my other leg. "So, you ready to order the soup?"

But Ceresh provided no answer as the rest of the bar went nearly silent. A tall, beautiful women with long, golden hair had now stood at the third floor balcony to peer at the rest of the lodge. Many watched her as she swayed her large hips and descended the stairs with a grace that few had mastered.

"Hello," she called with a little wave.

Many waved to her in their own bewildered stupor as she strode down the stairs and sat at the large hearth at the ground floor.

"OK, I need to know anything you can tell me about that hottie over there," Ceresh quickly added while nearly spilling his cider.

"Oh, she's an elf, nearly three hundred years old, and she's known around here as 'Boss'," I snickered. "And seriously, she turns every man down."

"That's Boss??" he said with his mouth agape. "Your mom?"

"Yup, that's her. I recommend not to hit on her, but that is your prerogative," I cooed but quickly found that I was unheard as he got up from his seat to address her.

A grin spanned my face as I giggled at him and stepped to the kitchen to get him a bowl of yak soup and refilled his cider preemptively.

"Have Hunter feed the hearth soon," said the elf that looked all too fanciful to be caught within any bar.

"He's not due till later; but going to start cooking food soon," I said with a shrug.

"Be sure to have the new one aid you," she smirked.

Ceresh sat down heavily and begun eating his soup with a subdued expression.

"Dang, Mom. You do not have to rip their hearts out, you know," I grinned.

"He's responsible for his own feelings, dear. And seriously, you are one to talk. When will you stop pouting about Samantha, hmm? It's not going to work out between you two," she nearly cooed.

"It was my last chance," I stated, my words filled with disappointment.

"You really know how to get stuck on them," she said as I handed her the tea and pie she had every morning. "Move on; actually take a look at what's around you. You are in your thirty's; I shouldn't have to tell you to stop pining over people that don't value you. I truly have difficulties understanding all of it."

My thumb picked at a bit of dry food from a fork before setting it into the basin. I briefly considered a retort; my mother had plenty of people she fell in love with within her three hundred year life span. However, as I thought about it all, I felt a little sad for her. She had multiple instances of heartbreak; all of which ended due to her lifespan. This women was not a purist like many elves I had encountered, for she had her heart open to other species.

My face must have told a harrowing story because she briefly donned a concerned expression.

"I'm only doing this for you," she said before taking a dainty bite of the pie.

"Look, Mom. I've been in love with Samantha for over a year, it's not that hard to just get over her," I said.

"And she has never loved you, so do just that; get over her," she said with a simple wave of her hand. "Now, I'm going to see your Father in Lavillarah next week, and the last thing I want is for you to spend the holidays moping about that girl. Go on a date or two and make sure that the lodge at least remains standing."

"You never had to worry about the lodge; I manage the lodge just fine," I declared with a smirk.

"I'm not worried about the lodge; I'm worried about my daughter. Try not to overwork yourself, and remember that I will fire Samantha instantly if I find you hired her while I was gone," she said.

"I get it, just why did you hire him?" I nearly whispered to her while eyeing the half elf.

"Gemini, I know you are not speciesist against merfolk," she huffed while setting down her fork.

It was an easy fact to forget, but Mom did not hide from me that Trevor was a merfolk. I shifted my weight and my eyes quickly gazed at him from across the lodge common area as he skillfully served drinks to guests and took their orders, quickly picking up the daily tasks. He looked like a short, blonde half elf, but merfolk had shape shifting abilities so it was all too common for them to blend in with a crowd.

"Trevor is not the kind of person to prey on others like in those over-told stories," Mom continued. "And it pains me that you forget I can see right through someone."

"Mom, it's none of that; he's too chipper! It's really dragging me down," I whispered, my voice dripping with disappointment despite knowing that he was a perfect fit for the job.

Mom pouted her lips and looked at the ceiling, clearly wishing she was having any other conversation. "You could use some sunshine in your life. Your going to end up like Mistress Cersa; lifelessness and frustration being all that's left of you as your duties eat you from the inside out."

"I'm...geez, I have been a pain these last few weeks," I groaned.

"Exactly, clean it up!," she pressed while tracing her fork in the air in little, disinterested circles. "Anyway, just treat him like any of the other girls here; protect him and make sure that any harassment from the guests is kept under control."

"Fair enough," I sighed but quickly decided to pry further in regards to Samantha. "Mom, you seriously see no love in that girl's heart for me? Nothing at all? I mean, she danced with me a few nights ago. It's gotta mean something...she got really close to me."

"Not a shred," she said quickly with little remorse. "Gemini, you insult your own intelligence with this farce. Even a canary can see that Samantha is using you. You can't control her actions but you can control your reactions."

"So not a shred," I said more to myself.

"Not a one," she confirmed. "And I'm sure she will show you that once you stop giving her free booze every time she flirts with you."

Light briefly touched the glass of the frosted windows and a crowd in the back stood up and cheered before getting up and donning thick cloaks. I sighed at the now visible dust that swirled in the sunlight.

"This hurts more than I figured it would," I huffed, breaking eye contact with Mom.

Mom sighed, now showing more defeat than disappointment. "Should have asked me sooner; but I guess you never wanted the answer to begin with. Either way, should be easier now. This would be so much worse if she hustled you into a quick relationship. Seriously surprising how much you hold onto her after she's broke your heart so many times. You know...standing you up, coming to the lodge to show off her various lovers..."

"Yeah...," I sighed.

"I can't stress how toxic this girl is. But you're an adult in your early thirties, you will get it eventually," she sighed.

Cold whipped around the lodge as more guests begun to leave for their day's work. Ceresh got up and waved to me before exiting the large doors with the rest of them.

"Haha, you staying to work today?" I asked, changing the subject.

"What do you think?" she replied, rolling her eyes at me. "I'm going to the market, so don't wait up for me today."

"You're more of a merchant than a lodge owner," I smirked.

"Can't help it, it's exciting. The shop is not off the ground entirely yet, but I'm getting a light profit," she giggled before handing me her empty plate and donning her coat. "Don't wait up for me."

Mom whisked off into the snow clad world, adding a cream colored coat, matching fluffy hat, and long blonde hair to the outdoor colors of the white snow, sun drenched sky, and deep green trees that set against the backdrop of a brick and stone town.

A sigh escaped me as I chewed on her words, my own thoughts attempting to defend Samantha's lack of interest in me.

"Trevor," I called, forcing myself into my usual slew of duties. "We need to make soup."

"Sure thing, Boss!" he called back, bringing a bunch of dishes with him to set into the basin.

"I'm not the Boss, though," I said with a smirk.

Trevor learned surprisingly fast, which I had to admit that I appreciated. He sipped the new batch of soup and rechecked the ingredients before adding more pepper and paprika.

"Not bad," I said in approval.

"I can follow any recipe; worked at a tavern in my home town for a little while," he said, his round face boasting a wide smile.

A small hum escaped his being and his hips swayed as he got lost in that activity, tasting soup, breathing out an approved tone, and humming even louder. My hand lightly came up to the bridge of my nose to lightly pinch it as I scrunched my eyes.

"Set it to a simmer in ten minutes and tend to the bar, please," I stated.

"Will do," sang Trevor.

Condensation from the window met my forehead as I groaned at the blissful winter scene outside. Between the disappointment that sat in my heart and my broken pride, I was sure that the day was going to be unbearable. Trevor emerged from the kitchen to whistle as he begun to wash the mountain of mugs and plates that adorned the basin after the morning rush, me easily retrieving all of them while he was still working on the soup.

Only a few women, an old man, and two minstrels hung around the lodge at this hour and much of the remaining chores were cleanup and prep for the lunch rush.

My feet took me to the large hearth in the middle of the lodge and sat me heavily into a stool as I peered miserably into the orange flames.

"Rough day," said a dreary voice near me in the tone of a statement.

My eyes shifted to the speaker, me noting that he was a minstrel that held a small, detailed guitar.

"I need a song for a broken heart...or broken pride...I don't know anymore," I groaned. "Her name's Samantha. She got away."

"Silver or house specialties?" he asked me with a little smirk.

"Yeah," I waved. "I'll make you anything you want; full meal and drinks on the house."

A moment to formulate a plan, a clearing of the throat, and a few nods later, the minstrel had begun a tune.

He sang:

"Oh, my dearest Samantha, eyes as bright as the day,

I miss you and am in want of your love.

Stars cross the skies; you are so dear to me,

for you have slipped away, away for good.

(chorus)

Away, away. Oh, my Samantha.

You dance, dance away.

I would have treated you kindly, I would have labored for you,

but there are other plans inside your heart.

There you are, my Samantha.

One day, I hope you will see, that you certainly loved me.

(chorus)

Away, away. Oh, my Samantha.

You dance, dance away."

"Does this work?" he asked as he lightly plucked the strings of his lute.

"Yeah, that works," I stated.

"Did it move your heart?" he asked.

"Nope, but it was amusing enough to get me though the day," I said with a smirk, remembering that he used that very chorus in this very lodge a few months ago. "You have a template for unrequited love?"

"I beg your pardon?!" he asked, giving me a cold stare.

"You did good, now let's get you a menu," I stated as we headed towards the bar.

He appeared to remain upset for a second or two but shrugged and sat opposite from me at the bar as he parsed through the menu, happy to anticipate pay for the work.

The later lunch rush had us quickly packed, only to be empty just as quickly but with a huge mess left in the wake. We rushed and bustled in order to get everyone taken care of so that they could eat and make it back to work without delay, and we quickly got to work cleaning after.

"How are you holding up? It's only been like, a week for you, right?" I asked as I joined Trevor to help wash the mountain of dishes that we had finished gathering.

"I admit; lunch is a bit rough on me; I have not yet found a good pace that works," Trevor said while keeping his eyes on the dishes. "But the Boss said that I should not worry about it; that speed will eventually find me if I just keep at it long enough."

I smiled, noting that I was quite happy that the new employee had not become enveloped in anxiety. "She has good advice...sometimes at least. It's hard to find an efficient route that works for you; but I am glad that you have been asking for help when needed."

"Oh yes, Emmie helped me with yesterday's dinner prep and also with that mess I made. And of course, you are always helping your employees," he stated with a smile, his eyes briefly meeting mine before returning to diligently check the silverware and set it in the clean tray.

"Always glad to help," I said happily. "Too many boss' exist to badger their employees; having them perform all of the work, but my employees are here to help me with my work; or at least, that's how I always seen it."

"Huh, I never thought of it like that. It's now my favorite way to look at employment," he said.

My hands accepted the next set of dishes from the pile that Trevor handed to me. "Heh, Mom taught me that from a pretty early age. I was actually in charge of her employees since sixteen years old, so I picked up that value really quick. Now that I'm the operator, all of you are my employees when she is not on duty."

"Sixteen is an early age to start managing," he said nearly in surprise.

"She was sure that I had a childhood up until that point, but she always stated she would have me start working at fifteen. She basically made me the operator nearly immediately, me suddenly running the lodge right next to her and Dad."

"I don't see her too terribly often; where does she go during the day?" he asked.

I snickered while thinking of how quickly she left every morning. "She started that about ten years ago once she figured she could leave me at the lodge for more than a day. You should have seen her then; suddenly going out to market nearly daily, immersing herself in other hobbies, and even getting a totally different job for nearly thirty months before anyone caught her! It was like a game to her and she came back to brag about it."

He snickered as he placed the last bit of silverware into the clean section. "That is such a weird thing to do."