Nanny for Hire

Story Info
A widower and his daughter are rescued by an angel...
17.6k words
4.78
20.1k
28
4
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note: This story is one that is very close to my heart. As a widower, I relate very closely to Bryan in this story. The overwhelming feeling of darkness at the death of a spouse is something I am keenly familiar with. Fortunately, I too found an angel who saved me from that darkness. She still does. She is... my soul's twin flame and I am blessed beyond measure to have such a remarkable woman and slave as my companion in this life.

~~November 2056~~

Kayleigh logged into her computer, rubbing her temples. This latest short term house had been a hassle and a half, but it was over with and the owner had returned home from their stint overseas to their kids. She tapped her lower lip with her pen. 'Full-time nanny for a single daughter, and housekeeper needed, location, Fairbanks, Alaska,' the job advertisement on her company's website read. The pay was really good, with room and board provided. The man had a good rating based on the company's vetting process, and everything appeared to be on the up and up. She pondered a bit longer, then studied the qualification requirements. All of them she had, and it was volunteer-only with a year's contract. "Well, Alaska is someplace I wanted to visit...," she sighed before clicking the submit button.

It was nearly a week later that she got a message, her application had been approved. Her tickets would be available at the airline's terminal at Heathrow. She was allowed two checked bags and a carry on. She snorted at that; she didn't even have enough stuff for one checked bag. Rising to her feet, she started packing. She would leave in two days, and the furnished London apartment she was living in would go to another with the agency. It was three days later that she landed in Fairbanks, Alaska. The travel had exhausted her and the delay was frustrating, but she had finally made it. She hoped that whoever she was meeting had made it too. Looking out the window as the plane landed, almost all she could see was white.

She walked out of the airpoint checkpoint into the main section of the terminal and saw a large man, dark hair and beard holding a sign that read 'Walsh'. Down clutching at his leg was a beautiful little girl, brown hair pulled back and braided into a ponytail. She was looking around at all the people. As she got closer, Kayleigh could hear her. "Is that her, daddy?" to which he would respond, "No, Cherry." This repeated several times and Kayleigh could not help but smile at the little girl's enthusiasm.

Kayleigh stepped closer, she knew she was smaller than most, being just over five feet, but she felt positively diminutive next to the man. "Hello."

"I knew it was her Daddy!" the little girl exclaimed, not realizing that both her father and Kayleigh had heard her ask about the last three females that had exited the checkpoint. The man smiled at her. Looking up at him, he had at least a foot, probably a little more on her.

"Welcome to Fairbanks. Have you been to Alaska before?" he asked in a rumbling but warm tone.

"No, sir," she murmured, "It was on my list of places to visit however, and now here we are."

"Wonderful. I hope you enjoy it here. Have you got a coat?"

"Yes, it's with my checked luggage... with the delays and the close quarters there really wasn't much room for an onboard bag," she paused, "I hope it's heavy enough... I bought it in Texas before I started this job a couple of years ago."

His lips twitched, as he tried not to smile. "There's a good store here in town. We'll get you fixed up. And my Land Rover heats up pretty quickly," he murmured. Gesturing off to the side where the carousels were, he asked simply, "Shall we?"

She nodded, "Sounds good," she smiled down at Cherry, "It's a pleasure to meet both of you."

"I'm Cherry. I'm seven. My mommy named me Cherry because she said her life was so good. I was like the cherry on top of a biiiiiiig ice cream," Her hands spread as far apart as they could go and she concentrated as if trying to spread them just a little wider.

"It's a wonderful name," Kayleigh agreed, crouching down slightly, "As a matter of fact, my favorite treat is chocolate covered cherries."

"They cover them in chocolate?" she gasped. "Daddy! Did you know they cover cherries in chocolate?" she asked in a voice that said that this was the most brilliant idea that had ever been conceived.

The man smiled, "I did. But I've got the only cherry I need already. Are you saying I need to dip you in chocolate too?"

"NO!" she squeaked and gently smacked his leg. "But someday can I try some?"

He looked at Kayleigh for a moment, then smiled, "I think we could figure out a way to get the two of you some chocolate covered cherries to share."

Kayleigh gave him a small smile, then offered Cherry her hand as they walked towards the carousel, "Of course, do you know what's as much fun as eating chocolate covered cherries?" She winked down at Cherry, "Making them."

Cherry's mouth dropped open, "You know how to make chocolate covered cherries?"

"Yes ma'am, I know how to make all kinds of things that are fun," Kayleigh smiled at her fondly, "But, if your Dad agrees to us making things you have to be very careful and follow my instructions, because melted chocolate is a little hot."

Cherry giggled at being called 'ma'am'. "I'm not ma'am, I'm Cherry," she stated firmly.

"Well then Cherry, I'm Kayleigh," she said with a wink.

"Kayleigh. That's a really pretty name. You're pretty too. Do you think I'll be as pretty as you someday?" she asked with a wistful smile.

"Thank you, lovely Cherry." She smiled down at her, "No, I think you're going to be even prettier as long as you keep that attitude," she murmured, and tapped Cherry on the chest with one finger, "Beauty comes from here, because physical beauty can fade and change, but a good, kind heart, and a sharp mind are always better."

A loud, irritating buzzer echoed in the small room and the conveyor started up, all clanks and rattles. The man looked to Kayleigh and asked, "What does your bag look like?"

Kayleigh smiled up at him, "They're going to be silver, with a bunch of stencils spray painted on it and a few quotes from famous authors. One will be larger than the other." It wasn't long before the suitcases came tumbling down, a few minutes later she tugged a small one off, then she pointed as her big one came down, "That one's mine too, sir."

Cherry was looking at the images and the quotes, "Kayleigh, what does this one say?"

"Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I'll try again tomorrow'," Kayliegh murmured.

"Radmacher, right?" the man asked, pulling the larger silver suitcase off the conveyor.

"Yes, sir. Mary Anne Radmacher," Kayleigh responded with a slight smile.

"OK, you're making me feel like my old man, for God's sake. Please, call me Bryan. I'm not very good at the whole... nicety, introduction thing, but I'm nobody's sir," he said with a sad smile, as he slowly started walking toward the doors that would lead them to the parking garage where his Land Rover was parked. He finally added under his breath, "Not anymore..."

"Yes, Bryan," Kayleigh murmured, her eyes wide, and she stopped before they exited, opening up the small one to pull a somewhat heavy jacket out and pull it on. It was a puffy thing of dark purple. She buttoned it, then closed up her suitcase and followed them out to the parking garage, "Oh, feathers and pillowcases, that's cold...," she breathed.

"Would you prefer that I pull around? I can do that..." he asked, trying to be helpful.

"No, I'll be alright, it's just... an adaptation," Kayleigh responded, walking beside them, only doing high knees, to flex her legs and warm them up, "I'm going to have to get used to this, no?"

He chuckled softly, "Well, there's about three months out of the year that we get into the high fifties, low sixties...," he offered, looking at her with a bemused smile.

She squeaked softly, "Oh, my that's going to be a big change... that's winter in Texas," she wrinkled her nose, "I'll just put my big girl pants on and deal."

Cherry giggled, "You're already wearing big girl pants."

Kayleigh laughed and gently booped Cherry's nose, "You are correct, but I think that I'm going to need some leggings to go underneath my pants." She smiled at Cherry, "I'll let you help me pick them out, OK?"

"You'd let me help?" Cherry asked in amazement.

"Of course, Cherry," Kayleigh said with a smile. "We'll do all kinds of fun things together, yeah?" She patted Cherry on the shoulder.

"Wow! Dad never lets me pick out his underwear! That's so cool!" she exclaimed. Bryan for some unknown reason started coughing furiously, blushing a deep red as he tried to regain the ability to breathe.

Kayleigh giggled softly, and patted Cherry on the back. "Of course," she murmured. True to his word, the Land Rover warmed up quickly, and it had the seat warmers that did so even faster. The trip back was filled with Cherry's constant chatter of excitement. She passed out about twenty minutes before they arrived at his house. Kayleigh smiled looking over her shoulder at Cherry, "She's adorably sweet..."

"She's her mother. Only... you know... littler," he murmured, the sad smile back on his lips.

Kayleigh gently patted his arm, giving him a soft smile, "I empathize with your loss," she murmured. She was silent for another minute, "The dossier I received said you wished to homeschool her, do you have a specific curriculum in mind?"

He shook his head. "I was hoping to discuss it with whoever they sent to work through the options and pick." He paused, then asked, "Have you had much experience with homeschooling?"

"Yes," she murmured, "I am in the process of getting my Masters in Education." She paused, "Do you wish to go over it tonight, or wait until morning? I would also like to know if there is specific music that you would prefer her to be exposed to or not to be. I tend to listen to music when I'm cooking and cleaning so...," she trailed off.

"We can start it tomorrow. As far as music, I think it's a bit young for her to be exposed to vulgarity, but outside of that, I listen to a wide variety myself. I even believe that rock and roll can exist without sex and drugs..." he responded, a small, wry smile on his lips.

Kayleigh nodded, "I like Skillet," she murmured, "I will put on headphones if I decide to listen to something inappropriate."

"Sounds just fine to me," he replied. "And Skillet puts on a pretty good show. I caught them once in LA before they stopped touring and retired."

"I never got to see them in concert," she responded. She looked up at him, "Do you have questions for me?"

"Just one. Is this what you want to do, Kayleigh? Because I know the posting was for a year, but I'll be honest, I was looking for more than that, the agency just wouldn't allow it in their post." He paused, then continued on, "Is caring for a little girl something you want to do or is this just a temporary life stop for you? A way for you to see the world? Because I don't want her to get attached if...," he trailed off, his voice going thick.

Kayleigh reached her hand out again and gently placed it on his forearm, looking at the difference between the two for a moment. "It's life for me," she said softly. "I love children. I love taking care of them and teaching them. If I wanted to 'just see the world', I've got a pilot's license." She paused, looking back at Cherry, "The year isn't for her and I, it's for you and I." She turned to look up at him again, "It's their way of making sure we don't clash horribly. You might not like my six AM bedhead, or the way I do things. That's why they won't allow a contract for more than a year until after the year is scheduled to be up."

He swallowed and nodded his understanding. "Oh... I didn't know that. I just... I need help with her. And some friends of mine... from another life... recommended...," he shrugged. "I can put up with anything for her..."

"Understood. However, I think she deserves my best, as do you." She smiled and patted his arm, "It's going to be just fine, Bryan. We'll figure it out together."

He nodded, and she saw a bit of frantic around the edges that slowly died back down as she patted his arm. He turned off the main road and began driving up a long paved driveway that led back into several clusters of pine trees. After about a three minute drive, he pulled up to a large, cottage-looking structure with sharp, steep rooflines. It looked almost like a lodge; a massive, brand-new looking lodge. "This is us," he murmured.

She looked around admiringly, "It's beautiful, Bryan." She slid out of the Land Rover, a soft squeak escaping at the sudden chill on her legs, "Do you want me to get her, or my luggage?"

"You take her, I'll get your things. She's probably lighter," he said with what was a small, shy-looking smile. He hit a button on the fob of his keychain. "It's open for you."

"Alright then," she murmured. Then gently eased Cherry out of the Land Rover, holding her up. Cherry snuffled and tucked into Kayleigh's neck and she smiled, "Thank you, which room is hers?"

"I'll show you," he said, pulling the luggage out quickly and closing and locking the car. He walked ahead of her and opened the door. Then, leaving her bags in the large entryway, led her past the living room and down a hallway. Off to the left, he opened a room and flicked on the light. The room was pink. Everything, every single thing visible in the room, was pink. He went in and turned down the pink coverlets. "Your eyes stop hurting after a while...," he offered lamely.

"I feel like I just stepped into a world of cotton candy," Kayleigh said with a soft laugh. She sank to her knees smoothly and lowered Cherry into the bed at the same time, she eased off her shoes, "Does she sleep in pajamas or do you want to do that?" Kayleigh asked, turning to look up at him.

"For tonight, she can sleep in her clothes. She's had a pretty exciting day. It shouldn't make it so she can't sleep. But yes, she usually sleeps in pajamas," he paused, then opened his mouth again to clarify, and she murmured with him, "Pink... pajamas."

Kayleigh nodded, then tucked the blankets up around her, brushing her fingers over Cherry's forehead. "Sleep well, sweet one," she murmured before rising back to her feet and stepping back.

Bryan bent over Cherry and kissed her forehead, murmuring, "Ohana," before he stood and led Kayleigh out of the room. Closing the door behind him he gestured down the hallway, "Next door on the left is you. If you want different sheets or pillows or something, we can pick it up in town. It's not a problem. I'll go get your stuff and bring it in." He turned and started walking back toward the entryway.

She bit her lip, looking after him for a moment, then turned to enter the room. It was beautiful, a little larger than she expected. She carefully eased off her puffy jacket and hung it up in the closet. She did a quick walk through to locate everything, then turned and smiled as Bryan approached with her luggage, "Thank you," she murmured, "If you'd like to put them on the bed...," she trailed off.

He nodded and lifted both of them up on the bed, laying them down for her. "Of course, Kayleigh." He paused, and then when his hands were free, he pointed. "Through that door there is a bathroom you can use. Shower, tub, lavatory. Take as much space as you want in the dresser and closets, and the hot water will not run out," he murmured. "But this way you can be comfortable taking a shower with privacy. There's a hall bathroom, and it has a shower too, as does the master, but...," he shrugged. "I figured if we had a small enough number of guests, the shower in the bathroom would be more comfortable than the one in the hall..."

Kayleigh nodded, listening to him. "Thank you, Bryan. I appreciate your thoughtfulness," she smiled up at him. "Don't worry, it's going to be OK." She rested her hand on his forearm again, "Just breathe, I'm not going to abandon you and Cherry."

He looked at her for a moment, then nodded, "OK. Would you like the rest of the tour?'

"Yes please," she murmured. "What time would you like breakfast?" She asked as she followed him from the room.

"How does... eight o'clock sound?" he asked. "Or is that too early...?"

"I can do that," she said, "Do you have a preferred breakfast meal or just... whatever I make as long as it's edible? Does Cherry?"

He snorted, "Cherry would eat cereal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I let her. I'm fairly easy to please. I'm not a vegetarian. Decidedly not... a vegetarian. So, throw some meat at it somewhere and it's probably good." He pointed toward a large, very clean kitchen. "Kitchen. It's... well, it's yours now. Anything in there, use. If you start running out, tell me and I'll make it so you don't."

"Yes, Bryan," she murmured, looking into the kitchen, her eyes widening. "Very nice," she commented as she looked up at him to ask, "Do you want me to teach Cherry cooking and baking as well?"

"Good life skills to have...," he murmured.

"Plus it helps with math, particularly fractions," she grinned up at him, "I learned most of my basic math skills in two places, the gaming store and my mom's kitchen."

The rest of the tour was concluded, the remainder being the living room, entryway, and the door to his studio, and she found herself back in her room after he had gone into his, directly across the hall. Kayleigh turned thoughts of Bryan over in her mind, then nodded to herself. She set an alarm for six-thirty AM, then started putting away her things. The only personal item in her room was a single picture of her and her family that she put at the top of the dresser. She glanced at the phone, "Yeah, it's not too late to call him." She slid her earbud in and padded towards the kitchen to fix herself a small bite to eat.

She pressed the dial on her phone, "Hello, Master Hayden, my apologies for calling so late but I didn't want to miss you tomorrow." She paused, "No, I'm afraid that's part of why I'm calling. I'm not going to be able to help Skyelar with the munch in April. I'm not back in the continental states like I'd originally planned." She listened to him for a few minutes, then laughed, "No, Master Hayden, I'm fine, I just took a different opportunity elsewhere. How's little imp doing?" She listened to him as he gushed about his daughter and his wife. "I'm glad things are going well, remind Skyelar that she's supposed to be resting. I'll send emails with more details and talk to you two online, yeah?" She paused, "OK, have a good night, Master Hayden. Give Skyelar and Jane all my love." She hung up the phone, and returned to quietly eating.

+++++++++++++++++

Kayleigh rolled out of bed with a thump when her alarm went off, she grunted then sleepily headed for the shower. She stripped and washed up quickly before dressing for the day, comfortable leggings and a long dress. She pulled on her socks, then slipped her feet into her slippers before heading to the kitchen. Promptly at eight o'clock she slid three plates to the table, one with two tacos and the others with a single taco each. She turned and padded out of the kitchen and headed for Cherry's room, "Cherry berry, time for breakfast."

She almost burst out of the room. "YAY! Cereal?" she asked as she raced up to Kayleigh with breathless anticipation.

"Actually, my little dessert topping, I made you something special from my home state." She held out her hand, "Want to try it?"

"You made it?" Cherry asked dubiously.

"Yes, ma'am I did." Kayleigh booped her nose, "Remember, we had this conversation, I'd make food and you'd eat food?" She grinned, "I figure you can help me make lunch and dinner, sound good?"