Nanny for Hire

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"OK!" she beamed. "So... what did you make?" she asked curiously.

She paused to rap on Bryan's door, "Breakfast is served," she called through it. Then turned to lead Cherry onward, "Why I made tacos for breakfast." She grinned at Cherry's confused face, "They're sausage, potatoes and eggs with cheese wrapped in a flour tortilla."

Cherry's face scrunched up. "That doesn't sound like tacos. Tacos are those yellow crunchy things. My daddy makes them sometimes."

"Those are tacos also, but they're not breakfast tacos, same name, different breed," Kayleigh explained easily, "Like you can have a dog that's a pug, and a dog that's a husky, they're both dogs, but they're not the same kind."

Her eyes widened as she wrapped her seven-year old brain around that. "Oh!" she gasped in understanding. As her father walked out in pajama pants and an old t-shirt she ran up to him, "Daddy! Daddy! Kayleigh made tacos for breakfast, but not the tacos like you make. They're not pug tacos. They're breakfast tacos, like husky tacos!" she said enthusiastically.

Bryan's brow furrowed in confusion, then he looked at Kayleigh. "We've got... meat in the fridge. Dog really isn't a thing anymore. Even in Asia... And where did you get a husky anyway?" he trailed off softly.

Kayleigh burst into giggles, covering her mouth when a faint squeak escaped as she laughed, holding up her hand for a moment. After a few seconds, she shook her head, "I made breakfast tacos with pork sausage, eggs, potatoes and cheese. I was trying to explain to Cherry that the tacos I made and the tacos you make are both tacos, just different breeds."

Understanding immediately crossed his face. "Oh. OK then. That makes a lot more sense. And... we're not getting a husky. Before anyone asks. Just... no."

"Huskies are adorably evil dogs, and as stubborn as teenagers... I agree." Kayleigh grinned up at him, then tilted her head towards the kitchen, "Breakfast."

"Come on, munchkin. Let's go sit at the table." Bryan tousled her hair gently, murmuring to Kayleigh as he passed, "Thank you for breakfast. It smells wonderful."

"Happy to serve," she murmured as she went to her own seat. Breakfast was eaten and even Cherry thought they were good, despite them not being cereal-flavored. After they finished, Kayleigh moved back to the kitchen and took care of the dishes, cleaning the area back up to its previously spotless condition. Cherry bounded to her feet, "I'm gonna go dress." She raced out of the room.

Bryan watched her go, shaking his head, "God, what I wouldn't give to have that much energy again."

Kayleigh chuckled, then sat down at the table pulling her PDA out, "So, I've got a dossier here of what was listed as part of the expectations," she turned it and presented it to him, "Was anything missed that you would like me to add?"

He glanced at it quickly, then shook his head, "No, that pretty much covers what was agreed on." He paused, then asked, "That's all... still OK, right?" he asked softly.

"Yes, Bryan," she smiled up at him, "Now, as you weren't sure what curriculum, I took a bit of time last night to compile a list. I don't think you want her vibrant nature squashed by the third world prison that is our current public system. So, I picked these four out and thought I'd mix and match them based on what she needs to focus on more." She slid her PDA back over to him, "All four are highly accredited, and while I can provide almost everything on them, the only issue might be language. I am only qualified to teach French, German, Spanish, or Italian."

"Well... French and Spanish are both fairly practical here in the states. German if you go overseas...," he trailed off as he looked at the PDA. "Most of all, I want her to learn how to learn and then learn to love doing so. I've always said all that pouring facts into kids' heads is going to do is teach them to take a test, but if you get them to figure out how to learn, they won't run into anything insurmountable later in life."

"Sounds good," she patted his forearm, "I've got you, Bryan." She turned and padded from the room, "Have a good day doing whatever it is you do," she called over one shoulder.

++++++++++++++

Days flew into weeks, and every day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner were provided. It was always hot, tasty, and fresh. Her grocery list was always written in a neat but tiny hand. During the day, he could hear Cherry laughing, and every evening she would excitedly talk about their day and what she learned.

Music was playing one afternoon, not super loudly, but he could hear furniture being moved around in the living room, then Cherry's delighted laughter. Bryan poked his head out of his studio, the leather apron he was wearing splotched with paint, and looked. Kayleigh was dancing around the living room with his daughter. Neither one was wearing shoes and Cherry was beaming up at Kayleigh. "Again, Kay, again," Cherry begged. Kayleigh laughed and obliged, lifting Cherry overhead in a spin before lowering her to the ground again.

Bryan opened the door a little further and rested against the door frame watching them. He could not remember the last time Cherry had been so happy. It certainly wasn't with him. He was, for a time beyond counting, once again grateful he had listened to James and Michael's advice and called the agency. As sad as he was that he seemed not so capable of doing that himself, he was grateful that there was now someone in her life that could.

Kayleigh's phone chirped and the two stopped dancing to look at it. "I wonder who that could be," Kayleigh mused in a sing-song voice. "It's Skyelar!"

"Yay, Skyelar!" Cherry bellowed. The two flopped down on the floor, and Kayleigh set her phone up, answering it. "SKYELAR! JANE!"

"CHERRY!" came an excited squeal from the phone, "AUNTY KAY!"

Skyelar and Kayleigh laughed as Cherry and Jane started chattering away at each other in excitement, "And then the whale splashed Daddy and I, and I thought Mommy would be mad, but instead she just laughed and laughed." Jane carried on gesturing, "And I sent Aunty Kay a present to give to you, I got it at the zoo, it's supposed to be a surprise, but I can't wait. I got us matching bracelets 'cause you're my bestest friend."

Cherry giggled, "And you're my bestest friend too." Then she launched into her own tale about the snow that came and how her and Daddy took Kay to the store to buy warmer clothes and she got to help pick them out. Skeylar and Kayleigh met eyes over the two girls, and laughed softly, shaking their heads. "And my Daddy carried all the bags in one hand."

"Girls, it's almost time to start preparing dinner for us. Jane?" Skyelar prompted. Jane pouted, then nodded. "OK. Bye, Cherry. I'll talk to you tomorrow, OK? You can help me with Math."

"OK, but you have to help me with French." Cherry responded.

"Deal," Jane said, then handed the phone to her Mom. Cherry pouted as the two women hung up, "It's just past lunch time, but they're getting ready to have dinner... that doesn't make sense, Kay."

"Well, Cherry, let's go figure that out, shall we?" Kayleigh rolled to her feet, and held her hand out to Cherry. She started walking back towards the study area when Cherry took it, but froze for a moment before giving Bryan a shy smile when she saw him watching from the door. "Hi," she said softly.

"Hi. You're quite the dancer," he murmured, before looking at Cherry. "Are you having fun munchkin?"

"Yeah! We're going to go figure out why I ate lunch not too long ago, but Jane's about to eat dinner," she said excitedly.

"That ought to be interesting. Do you think you can tell me about it later?" he asked.

"Yeah. I can," she agreed.

"That sounds like something I ought to know too," he said, then looked at Kayleigh with a small smile. "I'll let you get back to it. I just heard her laugh and...," he trailed off, a wistful expression on his face.

"You're welcome to join in with us at any time, Bryan," Kayleigh murmured, giving him a sweet smile before Cherry dragged her off.

He watched them go, then sighed before turning back to his studio. The massive canvas on the wall was dark and covered with raw pain. Deep blues and black and grey accentuated with red bled as much from his heart as they did from his brushes. He looked at it for a long moment, the tears back, then took up the brush he had been using and began again.

+++++++++++

A couple of months passed. Bryan painted, but he found himself drawn out gradually more and more. He began joining Kayleigh and Cherry as they worked. He found satisfaction as, instead of giving his daughter the answers, Kayleigh helped her find them. He shifted his focus, instead of painting all day he would paint in the morning, when Cherry and Kayleigh worked on the basics then would join them in the afternoon when they worked on discovery. Kayleigh always had a smile to welcome him and Cherry blossomed even more.

His paintings sold, each one for a sum that was split in half, partly to go in the bank, the other half going into a college fund for Cherry. It was after the third painting sold for triple what the previous two had that he got a call from his agent, "Who is she?"

"Who is... who, Henry?" Bryan asked, confused.

"You've met someone, Bryan. I'm glad," Henry responded, looking at the picture of the latest painting, the dark colors still predominant, but slightly off center there was a glimmering of white, a profile of a female, with red hair, no distinctive features but it was definitely a woman. "I just want to know who she is so I can thank her."

"Maybe some other time, Henry. She's... well... I'm keeping this one close to the vest for now. Besides, I doubt she feels the same," he responded.

Henry rubbed the bridge of his nose, "Have you tried? You can't know unless you do. I've got to go, but think about it Bryan. You should find your happiness. Beth wouldn't have wanted you to be miserable for the rest of your life just because she was gone."

Bryan choked back a sob and said quickly, "Bye, Henry," before hanging up the phone. He set it down and gasped, his heart pounding in his ears as he tried to calm himself down again. Henry wouldn't understand. It wasn't that easy. You don't just wake up one day and go, 'Yep. Today's the day I forget my late wife and go look for someone to replace her.' And then there were her feelings to consider. How many studies had been done where being with a widower was emotionally draining enough that most couldn't or didn't want to handle it.

Bryan quickly brushed the tears that threatened to spill out of his eyes with his hands and went to the small wash room in his studio to wash the paints off his hands. Taking off the apron and hanging it up, he stepped out and closed the door. Kayleigh and Cherry were sitting at the table looking at her tablet and it sounded like she was teaching her some math. Bryan stepped up to the table and asked with as genuine of a smile as he could muster. "How are we doing today?"

"Math is fun, Daddy," Cherry announced, not looking up as she solved different math problems. "Kay said that after I learn Math really good I could learn Python."

Kayleigh on the other hand looked up and her brow furrowed, her eyes turning worried as she took in the different expression on his face. 'Are you OK?' she mouthed over Cherry's head.

He tried another smile. 'I'll be alright,' he mouthed back, before speaking up, "Python, huh? You know, your daddy knows a few things about computer programming too. Maybe I could help Kayleigh with your teaching for that."

"That sounds great Daddy," Cherry turned and smiled at him, blowing him a kiss. She turned back to her math problem.

After she finished the assignment she bounded to her feet and looked at Kayleigh expectantly, "One," Kayleigh said, then Cherry darted away to the kitchen. Kayleigh turned to Bryan and stood up, "I know I'm probably overstepping, but would a hug help?"

"I... maybe?" he offered. "Just an unexpectedly difficult call with my agent."

Kayleigh nodded, then stepped forward and wrapped her arms gently around him. Her head came to just above his breastbone. She was soft, warm and smelled faintly of honeysuckle. "Is this helping?" she asked quietly.

He breathed in her scent and sighed, the muscles in his body relaxing. With a soft smile, he murmured, "Yes, actually... it is. Thank you, Kayleigh. I don't mean to be... a bother..."

"Oh, Bryan. You're not a bother, I'm happy to serve." She tightened her grasp briefly, then slowly released him to smile up into his eyes. "You're welcome to as many hugs as you need and want, OK? I won't ever turn you away."

He blinked, and looked into her eyes, seeing only concern there. He slowly nodded, breathing, "OK," as he glanced up and saw Cherry racing back with a cookie.

Cherry skidded to a stop, staring between the two, then squealed, "Group hug." She stuffed the cookie into her mouth and bounded forward. She wrapped her arms around both Kayleigh and Bryan's leg, and mumbled with a mouth full of cookie, "Ohana."

Bryan's eyes widened and he got a curious look on his face, murmuring softly in return as he put one arm around Cherry and one around Kayleigh, "Ohana."

Kayleigh rested her head against Bryan's chest, one arm around him, then put her hand on Cherry's back, "Ohana."

"Sorry, it's... from an old cartoon movie...," Bryan murmured, looking down at Kayleigh. "She liked the little girl..."

Kayleigh smiled up at him, "I always liked the way Nani was. Of course, the confusion on David's face when Lilo told him his hair was fancy was priceless."

He sighed, relieved that she at least knew what he was talking about. "I won't lie. I ugly cried at the end of that movie. 'This is... my family. It's a little bit broken... but still good'. I...," he trailed off, trying to shove the tears back down for Cherry's sake.

Kayleigh nodded, and hugged Bryan tighter, "I've got you," she murmured softly as Cherry squeezed them tighter. "So, how about we put a movie on?"

Cherry squealed and raced for the living room, "I pick, I pick."

Kayleigh looked up at Bryan, then gently gathered him into her arms and stood on her tiptoes, "I've got you. You are safe, you are wanted. I won't let you fall." She held him and rocked him side to side for a moment, offering him a comforting anchor in his time of need.

His arms found themselves around her again, and he murmured, "Sorry, I don't usually... have this much of a problem...," as he struggled to regain his control.

"Hey, no apologies needed," Kayleigh continued to gently rock him. "I meant it. I am happy to serve. I've got you, you don't have to be strong all the time with me. I won't judge you or think less of you. My arms can always catch and hold you."

They stayed like that for several moments before he spoke again, "You know... you're really good at this."

She pulled back gently, giving him a soft, sweet smile, "I'm glad I can be good for you. Shall we?" She gestured towards the living room, "Cherry is waiting."

He nodded and they walked into the living room. Cherry had selected Tangled and Bryan pulled up the movie on the player. The three sat back on the couch, Cherry in the middle and they began watching the movie. As was his custom, when he sat down on the couch, Bryan stretched out his arms along the back both ways. This time, that caused one to fall across Kayleigh's shoulders. He hesitated and was ready to pull it away, but the smile she gave him caused him to stop and relax his arm once again.

After the movie was over, Cherry was curled up sound asleep with her head on Bryan's lap and her feet in Kayleigh's. Kayliegh just giggled softly, then eased up carefully scooping her into her arms, "I'll put her down for a nap for an hour."

Bryan watched her walk off and his mind wandered back to Henry's words. She had been with him for about three months now. They had passed the three week trial period, and things in his life had not been better for years. What if Henry was right, he mused. What if it was time, not to replace Beth, but to learn to care for someone again. But how would he even start?

Kayleigh slipped back quietly and moved around the living room, tidying it up again. She tilted her head and gave Bryan a smile, "Do you need anything?"

Bryan thought about that for a moment, then stood. "How about some help? What needs doing? You point, I'll do it," he offered with a smile.

Her brow furrowed for a moment, then she gave him a sweet smile. "Well, I was going to get another batch of cookies started if you'd like to help with that," she answered.

"Sure. I'd be happy to," he replied, and the two of them went into the kitchen and began to make another batch of cookies. There was occasional conversation, mostly about Cherry and how she was doing with the school work Kayleigh was giving her along with assessment and plans for future adjustments, but mostly they simply worked together, finding something of a quiet familiarity in each other's presence.

The rest of the week passed slowly. Kayleigh found herself wrapped in a hug with Bryan and Cherry a lot more often as Cherry would pull her in for an 'Ohana hug'. Kayleigh simply gave Bryan a sweet smile and tried to hide the love for them that was building inside her. Finally it was Saturday. Kayleigh made breakfast, then retired to her room for a little bit of quiet time. Cherry was watching cartoons and Kayleigh had her door open so she could hear if she was needed.

Bryan stared at his phone for a long moment, before dialing a number he had not called in over a year. It rang for a few moments, then a voice picked up, "Michael Moorwind."

"Michael? It's... Bryan."

"Bryan? How the hell are you, brother-man? I keep meaning to call you. How is... where did you move again? Alaska? A lot different than California, I'd imagine. And that little girl of yours!" the excited voice came from across the phone, as if no time had passed at all and they had just seen each other yesterday.

"She's well. Seven, and precocious. And yes, it's Alaska. Just outside of Fairbanks. How is your business?"

"Wonderful. Got a new product we're showcasing at AVN in Vegas this year thanks to your old company. And... I found someone," Bryan could almost see the beaming smile on his old friend's face.

"That's wonderful, Michael. Is she... in the life?"

"She is. Came to a local munch when Jasmine... you remember her, right? James' slave? They got to be friends and she came to one. We hit it off. Got married six months ago and it's been great. She's expecting!" he gushed.

"I'm really happy for you. Really happy," Bryan smiled wistfully.

"I'm sure that's not why you called, though, right? And you retired, so it's not business...," Michael trailed off.

"No, it's...," he paused looking at Cherry to make sure she was focused on the cartoons. Seeing that she was, he continued in a low voice, "I... I think I may have met someone..."

"That's WONDERFUL!" Michael exclaimed.

"... and I'm struggling a bit with it," he continued.

"Because of Beth?" Michael asked.

"Yeah."

Michael paused for a moment, reaching out to pick up his tablet and pull up his schedule. "Look, I'm free Friday next week. How about I bring Annabelle and we come up and meet you for dinner? My treat. We'll talk and see if we can walk through this. OK?"

"Are you sure, Michael? It's Minnesota, and I don't want you to drop everything..." Bryan started.

"Nonsense. Annabelle has always wanted to visit Alaska. I figure we'll meet you for dinner Friday, and then I'll take Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and we can do some sight seeing. I mean, what the hell's the point of owning your own company if you can't do what you want once in a while?" Michael asked rhetorically.

Bryan chuckled, "Yeah..." He paused for a moment, then added, "I'll make some reservations. Let me know when you think you'll be getting in, and I'll send you the address."