Nashville Skyline

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I...I'm...so...sorry."

"Don't be. Hanna, Drew's a good guy. You seem to be a very nice person. Do what you need to do. But try to hurt as few people as possible with the things you plan on doing."

"I'll try."

"Are you here for the night? The week? Forever?"

"The night...at least."

"Well, it's a start."

Her head lowered to her chest. She was trying once again to hide her shame and tears. I touched her shoulder. Not to console her, but to get her to look up.

"We'll be there shortly. It's a big enough condo for you guys to have some privacy, not that you seemed to care last weekend. But it will give the two of you a place to talk."

Her hand curled up so she could touch it against mine.

Teary eyed, she turned and walked away.

*****

Drew and I didn't talk about anything but baseball on the drive home. He asked if the Brewers were in town, and never noticed the Illinois plate on the car parked in the Visitor's parking spot. Nor did he notice that I waited for him to open the front to the condo. But he did notice someone sitting in the living room when he stepped in.

"Hey, Mack. What brings you to Milwaukee?"

Mack? What the fuck. I roughly pushed by my younger brother to see if he was shitting me. But how could he be? He had no idea what happened earlier today.

And there she was. Sitting on my leather sofa. Magazine in hand. Looking directly at me but talking to my brother.

"Well, Andrew. It's not like I wanted to drive 'up' here, but I still don't trust you Brooks boys, and I wasn't about to let my little sister cross the state line to be with someone who I still think might be a mass murderer."

"Hanna? Hanna's here?"

"I think she's peeing."

Drew sprinted down the hall, leaving Mackenna and I alone.

"Hope you don't mind, we helped ourselves to a beer and some stale Doritos."

"Hanna knew she could help herself."

"Joe, I'm sorry about the surprise. I wanted to let you know we were coming. I wanted to talk to you when Hanna was at the shop, but I couldn't make myself get out of the car. And after having acted so poorly on Sunday morning, I was afraid you might have blocked my number. So, every time I tried to text you, I..."

"Never," I said, shaking my head, no. "I'd never block you out of my life. Ever."

Mackenna put down what she was reading and looked at me. We had one another's full and complete attention.

"Is having to drive Hanna here the only reason you came?"

"Saying yes would be the easiest answer."

"Are you looking for an easy answer? Are you looking for the easy way out?"

"It's complicated, Joe."

"Life usually is," I said.

With no clear end to where we were heading, I excused myself, so I could take a shower and change out of my work clothes.

The trio I had left behind were waiting at the kitchen island for me.

The now very chipper Drew was the first to speak.

"Bout time. The girls are starving. What say we all grab some dinner and come back here for a few drinks?"

It wasn't a question. My younger brother had it planned out in his head. There was no question we were dining out. There was no question we would be returning later. And the was no question the girls would be staying with us, rather than a motel. It was another of his bad plans. But fuck it. I had said it before, "we're all adults".

So, without any debate, we took the Hadley ladies to Ward's. It was in our opinion the best steak house in town, and we also had an account there. In the end we paid for it, but our father also got stung for one-third of the bill.

Over the years I had been out on many double dates with Hillary and Drew. At times, I brought a date of my own. Other times, I flew solo. And of all the times I could remember being together with them, I have never seen my brother smile as much as he had tonight.

He laughed and joked. He told stories. Then he listened intently while others spoke. He was very charismatic. And if I didn't know he was engaged to another woman, I would have sworn he was in love with the girl currently at his side.

The night out was the best the Brooks brothers had shared in over two years.

Unlike the nights in Smashville, tonight there was no rush. Everyone in the room knew why Hanna was here. It wasn't a secret. We had drinks and listened to music while we talked. I even played both sides of "Nashville Skyline", just to be ironic. But, long before midnight, Drew and Hanna excused themselves for bed.

With no pretense of sleeping on the sofa, Mackenna carried her bag into my room a set it on the reading chair nearest the window.

"Can I have a shower before bed?"

"Help yourself. Sorry, there's only guy stuff in there."

She pulled a make-up bag from her larger overnight bag and shook it.

"I came prepared."

"Toothbrush?"

"Sorry Joe. I like yours better."

As she walked away, I called after her.

"You want me to get some extra pillows so you can build yourself another wall?"

"Up to you. But I promise I'll stay on my side if you want me to."

*****

My alarm woke me at my normal time. The time was normal, yet everything else around me was not.

From the time I went to bed until the time I awoke, something changed. Perhaps it was my perspective on life and the importance of happiness.

Beautiful Mackenna was asleep at my side. We had not had sex. We had cuddled and talked for a while, but we both drifted off to sleep.

In the other room was my brother. A little brother who had a lot on his plate. There would soon be very tough decisions for him to make, and his precious time was running out quickly.

He had a fiancée. And now, he evidently had a girlfriend. Those things alone were cause for concern.

After my shower, I composed a short note for Drew and left it by the coffee maker. I knew it would be his first stop when he got up.

Andrew,

There are things in my life that I'd like to change. For one, being a big brother. Sometimes I feel like I haven't always been the best example for you. I'd change it if I could. But as a friend, I think we've done okay. I've always been your best friend, and you mine. But what I'm about to say isn't from your friend, it's from your brother.

Life is short. Too short. It's broken down into a series of years, months, days, hours, minutes and seconds. The older we get, the shorter each one of those gets. They seem to slip through our fingers and fly by. And once they're gone...they don't return. They can never be replaced. So, it's imperative we use every single one of them wisely.

You're smart and successful. Hell, you're almost as good looking as me. So, don't over think your life. Live it and enjoy it.

That's why I'm going to give you, my opinion.

If I were you, in this very moment, and given the very same circumstances you currently have, I'd take beautiful Hanna and make a run for it. I'd start my life over with someone who wanted me for who and what I am, not for what they want me to be. I'd choose to be with someone I truly love. Someone who loved me back.

Then, I'd call my big brother and tell him I was going to our secret place for a month or so, until things cooled down. And I'd beg him to help me cover my ass by making some calls.

These are not things any sane person would suggest you do. It's just me, telling you...what I'd do.

Love you like a brother.

Joe

P.S. Make me proud. I'm rooting for you!

*****

When I returned to my room, I found Mackenna sitting on my bed. She was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt. With my toothbrush hanging out of her mouth.

"Is there somewhere I can plug in at your shop?"

"Absolutely. I'll set you up in my office."

"What about Hanna and Andrew?"

"Let's leave them for now. They'll know where to find us.

We hit a Starbucks and then made our way to work. Mackenna sat as sideways in the seat as she could.

"Did you find it strange we couldn't hear them last night?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"It's by design. Thick brick walls. Insulated wood doors. And a long hallway separating us."

"Oh...so you think?"

"Probably."

*****

Mackenna watched me work from my office. Her eyes seemed to be on me every time I looked her way, but I could have been mistaken. One thing I wasn't mistaken about was how worried she looked. By noon, she was "concerned". By four, she was almost "frantic".

"Let's go. I'm done for today anyway. We'll be there in fifteen minutes. You get to be the one who knocks on the door," I teased.

We had no reason to hurry. Having received a short text earlier in the day, I knew what we would find. My younger brother asked me to see that someone cover him in the office for the next week. The two weeks after had already been covered, because as we all know, he was supposed to be on his honeymoon.

And when we entered my condo, any thoughts I had, were confirmed. The love birds had flown the nest.

"Joe, where the hell are they?"

Like the first night in Nashville, Mackenna's phone was in her hand. She was doing a trace and dialing her sister at the same time.

"That Bitch. She's not picking up."

Mackenna's mouth opened wide, and she turned to me.

"Son-of-a-bitch. They're in Chicago."

I assumed as much. Chicago had a much larger airport than Milwaukee. Drew had flown to his destination more than once or twice using the Chicago airport so he could get a direct flight, so I wasn't surprised.

I opened a bottle of good red. It was a celebration of sorts. But Mackenna didn't know what we were about to celebrate. Pouring two glasses, I handed the first to her.

"Thanks. Shit. It looks like she's responding to my text."

Mackenna read the incoming words. Looked at me. Read them again. Drank a third of her glass in one swallow. Read the message another time just to be sure and set her phone face down on the stone countertop.

"You knew?"

"Kinda."

"Where is Andrew and your, 'secret place'?"

"South."

"South of what?"

"It's south of everything that matters, Mackenna."

"Hang on for second. Excuse me for just a bit."

She left me standing beside the island. I knew I was in trouble when she walked into my brothers' room.

It was only a few minutes before she returned.

"You gave him your approval? You gave him the green light to run off."

"No, I told him to follow his heart."

"Don't lie. I just read the letter."

"Did it have your name on it?"

"No."

"Yet you still read someone else's private letter."

"It was out in the open."

"But your name wasn't on it?"

"He stole my sister Joe. My sister who's supposed to get married in...fuck. Who has a pre-wedding rehearsal party tomorrow night."

"Did you honestly think when you drove her up here, she'd make it to her rehearsal party?"

"Maybe." Her tone told me even she didn't believe what she was saying.

"Maybe my ass. Mackenna, did you see them last night? Did you see how good they were together. Did you take a really good look at your sister with my brother? That wasn't lust. They're in love."

"Still."

"What did Hanna say?"

"She told me Andrew broke down when he read your note. He immediately packed a carry-on, and they drove my car home. Parked it at my place and took an Uber to O'Hare. Said they were going off grid at the secret place. And she told me I knew what I had to do."

"Should I leave you alone while you make those calls?"

"Alone? You can bite me mister. You better open another bottle of wine and order us some food. It's going to be a very long night."

And it was.

Choosing to cook rather than order, I made some beef stroganoff with the steaks Andrew and I had planned on grilling. It went very well with the red wine and poorly with the heavy conversation Mackenna was having with her family.

Between calls she handed me a piece of paper containing scribbled numbers.

"You call the girls. They know you. And I'm sure a couple of them won't even be surprised when you tell them."

"You want me to call all four?"

"No. Only call two. Let the others show up tomorrow and guess what's going on. Honest to God Joe, make the calls. For the record, half of all this shit is on you."

I completed my calls to 'each' of the girls I had met in Nashville and still Mackenna was on a call with both of her parents. From her side of the conversation, I knew it was going poorly by the answers she was giving. And it seemed like the questions were being fired at her from a machine gun and the voices on the other end were so loud it sounded as if Mackenna were on a speaker phone.

"Yes, I've met him."

"He's a very nice guy."

"Yes, he works."

"I'm at his brother's house right now."

"No. I'm safe."

"Why would you call the police?"

"She left of her own free will."

"Because I was here with her, that's how."

"I don't have their number. You call them."

"No. No way will I make that call."

"You. You'll have to do it."

"I am fully aware she is due to get married in two days."

"Get her back from where? I have no idea where she is."

"Well, I promise you a Saturday wedding isn't going to happen."

Between bites and chews, Mackenna explained everything as "G" rated as she could to her parents. She didn't tell them I knew where their daughter was. And I think by doing so, she saved me from the police breaking down my door.

Putting her hand over her phone, she turned and looked at me with a questioning look.

"This is fantastic. Who the hell taught you to cook?"

"My mother."

"God. If you can cook like this, then I can't wait to meet her."

And she went back to her call.

Opening the second bottle of wine, I cleared up the dishes, hugged Mackenna from behind and kissed the side of her neck. I moved in the living room area to try and give her some privacy.

"No, mom. They're both nice guys. Andrew and Joe. No. Hanna's with Andrew."

There was a long pause while Mrs. Hadley spoke to her daughter. Finally, Mackenna spoke again, and her words shocked me.

"No. I'll be staying here for a bit. Yes, just until this thing settles down. I have been making calls. Mom, you don't need to worry. I'm safe. I told you, Joe's my boyfriend. Yes. I've told you about him a lot of times. You just didn't listen to me. Brooks. Yes. Brooks Brothers, like the suits."

The smile she flashed at me melted my heart. Even under pressure she looked amazing. I closed the distance between us in ten steps. Tilting the bottle of wine, I filled her glass, then I filled her lips with mine. They were sweet and puffy, and her tongue tasted of dark grapes and beef. I knew I was in love.

"Sorry mom, I didn't catch that. No. Probably next weekend. Why then? Well, funny thing about next weekend." She paused and let her head sink down for a second. She was about to start phase two of her story to her parents and drop the second bomb on them. "You see, Andrew was supposed to be getting married next Saturday, so Joe and I will probably need to hide at my place for a few days."

Both her parents could be heard yelling into their phones.

*****

The best idea I could come up with was running a bubble bath. I didn't have anything to make bubbles with other than shampoo, but it worked fine. And when Mackenna ended her call, she didn't bat an eye as she stripped and climbed into the very warm water.

"Well, how did that go?"

"It's going to take a lot more explaining to my parents. And I'm pretty certain they will only hate you and your brother for a couple of years, but they'll eventually come around."

"Eventually?"

"I hope. I wouldn't count on it. But we can always hope."

Washing Mackenna's back, we talked about what had happened today.

"Do you think what they did was wrong, Joe?"

"Wrong? No. Going with your heart isn't wrong. Right? The outcome is still to be determined. I mean either way people get hurt. If they never spoke again after Nashville, only they would have been hurt. Now, lots of people are saddened by their actions."

"When will you tell me where they are?"

"Whenever you really want to know. You just need to ask."

"Good. Save it for later. I don't need the pressure of knowing on my back." Her shoulders pressed back against my hand as I massaged the tense muscles. "Jesus. You do that so well."

"Thanks. It's the least I can do for my girlfriend."

"Oh, you heard?"

"Hard not to."

"And?"

"And what? Recently, you assured me there was nothing between us. You told me I meant nothing to you. And now, you're passing me off as your boyfriend to your family."

Reaching back, she pulled the hand I was using to rub her shoulder. She moved it down until it rested on her breast and held it there with both of her hands.

"You know I lied."

"Why did you feel the need to lie?"

"Because Joe. I was scared. Still am. It was a crazy weekend, and I...I wanted..."

"You wanted what?"

"To believe you cared about me. I wanted to believe what we had wasn't just a hook up. I wanted to believe you truly liked me."

"I 'liked' you the first time you spoke to me. But now..."

"What? 'But now' what?"

"But now, I'm in love with you."

Her soaked tanned body rose up and out of the water. She let me wrap her naked form in a towel and carry her to my bed. Placing her gently down on the top of the covers, I kissed every inch of her face.

"Be my lover Joe. Make love to me. Be the man of my dreams."

Tonight, even with everything going on in the world around us, was the best love we had made so far.

Our bodies were well timed and very much in sync. We had a rhythm unmatched by most. Every movement seemed to be perfect, like they had been choreographed by a professional.

And when it came to completion, it ended with me on top, thrusting down as she thrusted up. Her back arched. He hard nipple clenched between my teeth. Her hands tearing at my hair and our screams filling the dark night air.

Every inch of my body was alive with passion and excitement. My chest heaved from the crazy workout it had just endured. My lover, covered with a sheen of sweat lay at my side catching her own breath.

"I know it hasn't even been a week, but I do love you," I told her.

"I love you too."

In the darkness of the night. With only a light sheet for a covering, we lay entangled in one another's arms. Time passed and I began to drift off. And when Mackenna spoke, it made me jump.

"Ben and Sarah."

"Who?"

"Ben and Sarah."

I assumed they were names on the list of people who needed to be called.

"Who are Ben and Sarah?"

"They're the children in your dreams."

"How do you know the names of the kids in my dreams?" I thought back to the outside patio outside 1865. I went over everything I told her about my dreams. Not once did I disclose that information. "Mackenna, I'm not sure if you recall, but I didn't tell you what their names were."

"I know you didn't. But I already knew. Joe, I've had the exact same dreams as you. They've just come to me randomly for years. I recognized you the first night when you were standing on the street. I wanted to jump off that truck and run to you, but I didn't want you to think I was crazy."

"What else do you know?"

"I know about the cottage."

"What about the cottage? I already own the property. I put a down payment on it and bought it when I got my first real job."

"I know you did."

"Where is it?"

"Castle Rock Lake. I brought a copy of the floor plan blueprints with me."

"Mackenna, how do you know all..."

"Because I've seen it in my head hundreds of times. I know it's uncanny, but I live the same fairytale dream you do."