Never Let Me Go

Story Info
A high school friendship becomes something more.
8k words
4.51
19.5k
23
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

(This is my entry for Valentine's Day Story Contest 2024. Please rate and vote! I love to hear comments from my readers!)

Mason Flaith tried not to look at Ruby as he delivered her the 5th Strawberry milkshake of the night. It wasn't his business; he shouldn't butt in and ask. It's just that The Malt Shop should have closed 1/2 hour ago. It was Valentine's Day, and the Malt Shop had been very busy with couples in love on dates. They were kissing, and Mason was fairly sure a few had gotten it on in the restroom or cars parked outside. But now, it was 12:30, and Mason had 1/2 an hour to catch the last bus.

He liked Ruby...A LOT! He had a crush on her forever. She was so pretty and kind. She emanated pure class like Audrey Hepburn. She was a lady. Mason didn't blame her for not looking at him. Mason was just an average guy...average at best. They both went to Antelope Hill's small high school together, but Mason grew up "on the wrong side of the tracks."

Mason was always the nice guy who finished last. He'd actually asked a girl, Agnes, to the Valentine's Day dance, but she'd put him on the back burner- hoping something better would come along. (Mason was usually put on the back burner.) It hadn't, and by the time Agnes had agreed, Mason promised his boss he'd work Valentine's Day. His boss had offered time and a half. Mason had given his word SO he worked. Mason might not have much but Mason's word was his bond.

Mason's family struggled to survive; that's why he was working the late shift at The Malt Shop. His family relied on him to pitch in a few meagre dollars in the winter to help cover the heating bill. So what was making Ruby cry this hard on Valentine's Day...what had brought her such heartbreak and anguish?

"You okay, Ruby?" asked Mason, even though it was apparent she wasn't.

"Ye...ye...yes!" sobbed Ruby, rubbing streaks of mascara from her eyes. She was obviously lying, but Mason washed the counter down as Ruby continued eating her strawberry milkshake. Mason would let her be at peace for now. He wouldn't press her. It wasn't his business, to many people stuck their nose in other people's business.

Ruby stared at Mason, diligently cleaning the restaurant. He was NO movie star and never would be. Ruby had never cared or not cared for Mason; even though they'd known each other since kindergarten, Mason had always been one of those average kids who blended into the background. Yet, here she was, talking to Mason, who was almost a stranger. Ruby had no one else to talk to. Mason was as good as anyone to reveal deep secrets...

"I'm pregnant, Mason...I'm pregnant. I know I'm not far along, only two months, and I'm not really showing yet...but I'm pregnant! Doctor Potter said so! I haven't even told my parents! Oh GOD! Oh GOD OH GOD! I know what they'll say; they'll call me a Scarlett woman and toss me out...they won't even give me a bus ticket to a big city like Cheyenne. It's not like a pregnant woman can get a job in this one-horse town. God...I'm pregnant." Ruby sobbed profusely. She was hysterical. Her tears continued to fall like rain.

Mason didn't know what to say. He longed to say something very poignant, poetic and reassuring, but he didn't have the words. So he said nothing. He was a young man in the early 1950s! What did one tell an unwed teenage mother? Mason supposed he should lecture her on morality and cleaning living. But Mason wasn't like that. Mason was a gentleman. It was his great fault. He wanted to congratulate Ruby, but she wasn't exactly giving off a motherly glowing vibe. She wasn't in a mood to be congratulated. Ruby's world was crumbling into darkness and despair.

"Have you told Kurt?" he questioned. Mason knew that Kurt was Ruby's longtime boyfriend. Kurt was her one and only, Ruby's great love! Ruby would never cheat on him. She wouldn't even think of it. Ruby had slept with Kurt BUT she wouldn't cheat on him with anyone else. There was no doubt in Mason's mind that Kurt would be the father of this baby.

Kurt was Antelope Hill's star quarterback. He was the king of Antelope Hill High School! No one questioned him or criticized him. Teachers were "encouraged" to pass Kurt despite his failing grades. Kurt helped Antelope Hill's football team win! What did a little thing like grades matter? Winning at football was clearly the more important thing!

Mason and the entire Antelope Hill High School knew Kurt stepped out behind Ruby's back and slept with cheerleaders. If she was honest with herself, Ruby probably knew it too. Still, she loved Kurt. She told herself that Kurt was a man---sleeping around was what men, especially "real men" like Kurt, did. It was his right to "play the game"! Ruby was absolutely devoted to Kurt. She truly loved him and didn't cheat. The baby would be Kurt's baby; Mason knew it without a doubt.

"Yes---" said Ruby as she continued to break down. Mason had never seen anyone in such a state. "He called me a whore and said OUR baby isn't his. He said I was ruining his chances of getting into Notre Dame! They're offering him a full scholarship since he scored four touchdowns in that game against Central High! God, Mason...what am I going to do?" questioned Ruby, in tears. She'd given up all pretense of being a "proper lady" and was outright sobbing.

1950s' Antelope Hill, Wyoming, was a very conservative small town. There was no birth control (it had yet to be invented---even if it were, the local pharmacist wouldn't prescribe it on the grounds of morality.), there were no prophylactics (Again on the grounds of morality!), and the high school didn't teach sex education. (Teaching Sex Education in high school was considered indecent. Someone might get pregnant!) As far as most high school students were concerned, babies were delivered by storks or showed up in cabbage patches!

Mason didn't know what to say. What does one say in a time like this? There was no societal script for it. He did know one thing. He had to close up The Malt Shop---his bus was coming (the last bus of the night). Mason didn't want to walk the three miles (5 kilometres) home in the cold February weather.

"Everything will be alright. Come home with me, Ruby..." said Mason. He left the dirty milkshake glasses in the sink. The Malt Shop didn't need to be immaculately clean tonight. Mason had bigger worries. Namely, what to do with Ruby!

She was an acquaintance...maybe even a friend. He felt responsible for her. They'd been classmates forever, and it was clear she couldn't go home or to Kurt's house. Mason couldn't let her freeze in the February weather.

Ruby cried some more, but between her sobs, Mason managed to hear an "okay." Mason nodded and fetched Ruby's coat. He wrapped her tightly in it. Ruby had to stay warm from the fierce February weather. Mason locked the door of The Malt Shop, and the two stood outside in the shivering February weather. Soon, the last bus came.

Completely misunderstanding the situation, the bus driver, Douglas, who was only twenty and knew both Mason and Ruby, assumed Mason was "gettin' lucky." He gave Mason a thumbs up and mouthed, "Nice." Mason ushered Ruby to the back of the bus. He wanted her safe, warm and away from jerks like Douglas! Ruby didn't need any more trouble!

Antelope Hill had one bus route but no taxi service. It was used to take people to the hospital, kids to school and, at this time of night, drunk people home. Douglas, the bus driver, had gotten the job because he was the mayor's nephew. He also was good at yelling, "Shut up and sit your asses down, OR I'm not moving this bus another inch! Then you all can walk to wherever you're going!" It intimated everyone, especially the little kids, so they sat down and shut up!

Douglas also sold weed and alcohol to underage high school kids on the side. So, the bus always had an "artsy" smell. The weed was mostly stems, seeds and lots of oregano. But the teens of Antelope Hill didn't mind. It was all they had! So they bought it!

Ultimately, Douglas was a good guy. He just wanted to make a little extra money. Douglas got bored driving around town, so Mason knew news of him and Ruby "gettin' it on" would be all over town the next day. It didn't matter if it was true or not! The dirtier and more salacious the supposed gossip, the faster it spread around town.

The unplowed and snowy streets made travelling difficult. It took about 1/2 hour to get to Mason's house. The house was average, warm and comfortable. It would never be in Good Housekeeping. That's all a person could say about it. But Mason and his parents were a tight-knit and loving family.

It was late or early, Mason never knew when he got off his shift. Part of him was glad that his parents were fast asleep. His Dad had to be up at 3:30 AM to start working at the John Deere tractor factory and his Mom at 4:30 AM for the telephone switchboard operator. Bringing a pregnant woman home in the middle of the night wasn't the best sign. Mason helped Ruby with her coat and boots. Then, he took her to his bedroom. The classmates, now complex friends, chastely slept on opposite sides of the bed.

The dawn was barely cresting the horizon as Mason woke up to a retching sound. Ruby was throwing up. "Sorry... morning sickness," she said as she continued to hurl. Mason nodded---having never taken Sex Ed; he didn't know about what a woman went through during pregnancy. He just nodded. He was worried. Ruby was clearly sick.

"Could I get you some peppermint tea?" he asked trepidatiously. Mason's parents weren't home, so he couldn't ask them what to do. But Mason was eager to help in any way he could. Ruby just nodded miserably---being pregnant sucked! She was deeply ashamed she'd imposed on Mason like this. He was a good guy. He obviously cared, but Ruby still had the problem about what to do. It was mid-winter, and Ruby had no other place to go! She'd have to tell her parents soon.

Ruby was petrified...what would she do then? Kurt wouldn't help her---he was going to Notre Dame on a football scholarship. Kurt said he was going to be the next Knut Rockne! He was important. He didn't need a wife and a stupid baby weighing him down. Ruby loved Kurt still but Ruby had no answers, only questions and uncertainty as to her precarious fate in the world.

Ruby managed to have some dry Cheerios before she and Mason headed to school. Assuming they'd spent the night together, Douglas flashed Mason a thumbs up. Again, Mason ushered Ruby to the back of the bus. Miserable from her pregnancy, Ruby somehow managed to keep it together through the school day, which seemed like it would never end. Desperate and feeling all alone, Ruby decided to ask her only friend in the world to help her even though they'd just started talking for the first time.

"Please come with me when I tell my parents about the baby?" questioned Ruby. She wasn't feeling great. Her feet were swollen. She wanted to sit down.

"Okay," said Mason. He didn't think twice. Mason no longer questioned whether this was a scam or a practical joke. Ruby was his friend, and he understood he was somehow cosmically involved in this predicament. If Mason wanted to "get out of Dodge," now was the time.

Part of Mason said he should let Ruby handle this on her own. It wasn't his problem! He wasn't the father of her baby! Mason was deeply ashamed of that part. Mason had never been with anyone before! He was still a virgin. He'd never even kissed a girl! (Although if he had, he'd want it to be Ruby!)

But Mason's great fault was that he was an honourable gentleman. Mason felt protective of Ruby and wanted to help her. After all, if he didn't help her, who would? So after school, Ruby and Mason went to Ruby's house. A harsh February wind shook them both to the core!

Luckily, both Ruby's parents were home. Ruby decided not to mince words. There was no sense in dilly-dallying. She already knew what her conservative parents were going to say: best get it over with.

"Mom, Dad...you're going to be grandparents. I'm pregnant," said Ruby. She tried, but failed, to put on a brave face. Part of her thought leading with "you're going to be grandparents" would soften them up.

"What?" questioned Ruby's father, Stewart, irritably. How could his good little girl be pregnant? She was only eighteen, practically a baby, for Christ's sake! Stewart temporarily forgot he and Marie had Ruby at eighteen. Still, he wondered how his little girl could have betrayed him like this!

"I'm pregnant," said Ruby again, as tears filled her eyes.. She was ashamed, Eighteen, and pregnant. Ruby looked at her hands and covered her pregnant belly protectively.

"Fuck..." said Stewart. He glared daggers at Mason. Stewart assumed that Mason must be the father---why else would he be here? It was the early 1950s; real men weren't friends with pregnant women! Women had and raised the babies.

Men were men! They drank whiskey and smoked cigars while the women were having the baby---if their wives really appreciated them, the baby would be a son! Men only stood up for women if they were the father. Therefore, Mason must be the father! It was only logical.

Stewart knew Ruby had been dating Kurt. But Kurt couldn't be the father! All of Antelope Hill knew Kurt was "a good kid." If Kurt were the father, he'd step up and be with Ruby. They'd get married, have a little white ranch-style house, apple pie---the whole 1950s American dream. Also, how could a "real man," a quarterback and a man who'd won a football scholarship to Notre Dame, be irresponsible and impregnate his little girl? Kurt was going to Notre Dame. All of Antelope Hill was counting on Kurt to be the next Knute Rockne!

"I'm going out for a pack of cigarettes when I get back, I expect you to get out of MY house. I never want to see a teenage SLUT like you. A whore who spreads her legs for anyone...doesn't deserve to live here! Ten minutes, or I'll call the cops on you both...starting now." said Stewart angrily. He stormed out to get his pack of cigarettes. He glared at Mason. This was all his fault! How could Mason get his little daughter pregnant?

"Okay, Daddy..." said Ruby. She softly cried as she went to her room and gathered her things. Mason helped put her meager things in a cardboard box...what choice did he have? He loved Ruby! Also, he was involved now. Come hell or high water, Mason had to see it, though! He was a gentleman.

Ruby's mom, Marie, stumbled around in the background. A bit afraid that her husband would come home. Marie loved Ruby! Ruby was her only child. Her little girl! Marie didn't dare stand up to Stewart. A woman's place was in the home. It was a woman's duty to obey her husband, come hell or high water.

Still, Marie slipped Ruby $153, her entire life's savings. Marie watched as Ruby and Mason departed the house. Freezing winds, predicting an oncoming storm, rattled the house. Ruby was out of her childhood house with Mason in under ten minutes. She never looked back. After all, what was there to look back to?

Antelope Hill's only bus driver, Douglas, picked them up. He mouthed "Nice" again to Mason and acted out a crude humping gesture. Mason just rolled his eyes and escorted Ruby to the back of the bus. Douglas had already spread the word through his very efficient gossip tree that Mason and Ruby were "gettin it on". All Antelope Hill residents would soon believe that Mason was the real father of Ruby's baby. After all, Kurt was a good kid; he couldn't be the father! He was going to Notre Dame.

It didn't matter if it was true or not. Life in Antelope Hill was dull, tedious and humdrum, so all of the salacious gossip needed to be true. Kurt made Antelope Hill proud, but Douglas gave everyone the "facts." about Mason and Ruby. The bus finally arrived at Mason's house. Mason took a deep breath. Now, at Mason's house, it was time to "face the music" with his parents.

The nervous compatriots stood in the entryway and shook the snow off."Mom, Dad...this is my friend Ruby. She's pregnant and has nowhere else to go. She's going to be staying with us for a while." said Mason. Mason had also decided there was no sense in beating around the bush. He knew his parents and didn't think they'd kick him out--still, doubt persisted in his mind.

Louise had been doing the dishes. Her hands were sudsy. She turned around, beaming. Louise had always wanted a daughter! But she and Linus had never had the opportunity to have a second child.

"Welcome, Ruby, you can stay with us as long as you want! You must be exhausted. Lord knows my pregnancy made me sick and tired; let's get you to the sofa so you can put your feet up. Then I'll get you a cup of peppermint tea and a blanket." stated Louise---as she swept Ruby into the warm living room. The radiator was loudly clanking, but Ruby didn't care. She was just grateful to have a place to sit down! The small house was nice and warm. It was safe from the blizzard, which was now raging outside.

"Get off the sofa, Linus. You lazy lout! Didn't you hear I have a pregnant woman here? Honestly, do you men ever listen?" Louise yelled at her husband.

"Wha...? Penta wu..man?" questioned Linus, who was 1/2 asleep. He was tired from work at the John Deere tractor factory and wanted his supper. Nothing made sense to him. Louise was in the kitchen making pot roast...

"Pregnant woman...move your ass! You clod!" yelled Louise as she rolled her eyes.

"Kay...dear. What...ever you say!" said Linus as he sleepy rolled over, making way for Ruby.

Linus learned in their nearly twenty years of marriage, it was easier to do what Louise said. Part of him wondered what a pregnant woman was doing here, but he was tired and soon fell back asleep. Mason's parents fought like cats and dogs, but only because they were deeply in love.

Pregnant, worn-out, still devastated at being kicked out of her childhood home and abandoned by her parents, Ruby sat down on the sofa and put her feet up on the footstool. Louise brought her a cup of peppermint tea to soothe her stomach. Ruby felt like the queen of England!

Linus snored himself awake in time for the pot roast. He was a bit surprised to find a pregnant teenager staying at his house, but both Louise and Linus were smart enough to realize that Ruby's baby wasn't Mason's. Their son didn't "play the field. " Mason was a good kid but boring kid. He shared everything with his parents; he'd never mentioned a girlfriend. So they knew the baby wasn't his. Still, they supported Ruby. What choice did they have? She was pregnant, and she had nowhere else to go.

The days, weeks and finally months went by. Ruby just stayed at Mason's house. Ruby chastely shared a bed with Mason and went to school. She helped Louise with dinner and the dishes. Swept and vacuumed. She became part of the scenery--the ebb and flow of daily life at the Flaith house went on.

The Flaith family would never be Rockefellers. They'd never live the 1950s white ranch-style, apple pie, plastic--fantastic American dream. But they'd survived a Depression and a War. The Faliths were clan--ish. So they'd survive come hell or high water.

Linus Flaith had had a bad war. He suffered from occasional bouts of PTSD. He didn't like crowds or loud noises. So, the Flaith family rarely participated in society---whatever that was! Linus was a man of very few words. But, when he spoke, he meant what he said, and everyone listened He adored Ruby and her unborn baby, so they were allowed to stay. Linus could confide in Ruby, so he spoke to her because he couldn't speak to others. He treated Ruby like his daughter.

Now, Ruby and her unborn baby were part of the Flaith family, their clan. It would be difficult. It would be challenging, BUT they'd stick it out. They always stuck it out. They didn't let each other go. The Falith family stayed together. After all, what choice did they have? Louise was able to get Ruby a job at the telephone switchboard after school. It was busy, but at least Ruby could sit as she connected each phone line.