New Girl in Town Pt. 21

Story Info
Revelations, regrets and new beginnings.
10.6k words
4.81
48.1k
83

Part 21 of the 25 part series

Updated 01/21/2024
Created 09/08/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks for everyone's patience and kind comments of encouragement to continue the story. Thanks to Devir for his quick editing skills and to Matt for being another set of eyes on this tale and as always to Jessica for just being her usual awesome self!

Please enjoy, comment and vote!

****

Patrick walked slowly toward Jake's room. He and his mother had run into Jake's mom in the waiting area when they arrived. She told them that she had just come from Jake's room and he was being checked over by the nurses.. He had said that he would wait but his mother insisted he go ahead. Patrick wondered how Jake would look as he pressed the button for entry to the ICU wing. He fumbled over Jake's name, when the desk nurse asked him who he was there to see, over the intercom. For a moment he hoped that he would be turned away but that hope was dashed when he heard the buzz of the door being unlocked for him. He made his way to Jake's door and almost knocked then he remembered that Jake's mom told him that no one was in the room at the moment. The sight of Jake brought him to a halt there in the doorway.

"Jesus, Shadow," Patrick whispered as he looked at Jake's leg in a cast.

His eyes followed the myriad of wires and tubes that were attached to Jake and led to all sorts of monitors in the room. The heartbeat one was the only one he could figure out. He watched it for several moments so he didn't have to look at Jake's face. Words wouldn't come out of his mouth as he stood there until he turned and walked for the door where he paused and looked back.

"I'm sorry, Jake," he said then hurried out the door to rejoin his mother.

****

"Shadow!"

Jake heard a voice call out. He wiped the sweat from his brow then used his hand to shield his eyes from the hot afternoon August sun that beat down on him. He stopped on the stadium steps and looked up for who had called out his clever nickname. He wasn't surprised when he saw Patrick and his normal crew at the top of the stadium. What did surprise him was the tall, beautiful blonde girl that stood with them. Something about her was familiar but he didn't know why that was. A name slipped out as he opened his mouth.

"Jess," he said.

The blonde smiled at the sound of her name then beckoned for him to join her. He started to climb the stairs again until his legs felt like bags of wet cement and his lungs threatened to burst from his chest. He looked up to check his progress but it seemed as though he hadn't moved. The blonde still stood at the top of the stadium with Patrick who now had his arm around her waist. Jake could still see the smile on her face but she was even further away now.

"Jessica," he called out breathlessly.

"Sorry, Jake," she answered him as she slipped her arms around Patrick's shoulders. "You can't just keep me waiting like this."

She leaned in as if to kiss Patrick when Jake felt the stadium tremble beneath his feet. To his astonishment the stairs that were between him and the blonde he called Jessica doubled in size. Then tripled with a blink of his eyes.

"No!" he cried out and started to climb them again until he fell to his knees. "I can't do this."

He kept his eyes on the step in front of him afraid that if he looked up again that Jessica would disappear from his sight. That Patrick would disappear with her and that would be the end again.

"Just like always."

Jake heard Bobby say. He turned toward the voice and saw his friend seated on the metal bench of the stadium.

"What?" Jake asked.

"You just give up when you find out Patrick is involved," Bobby responded then tilted his head. "Or you used to do that. Is that who you are again, Jake? Jake the quitter?"

"It's impossible," Jake complained as he gestured to the stairs. "I'm exhausted and the stairs... the stadium just keeps growing!"

"Sounds like another excuse to me, Jake."

Jake looked back to where Bobby had been but now Roxie sat there and Bobby was gone.

"It's not an excuse, Roxie," he said. "I'll never get to her. I don't... I don't deserve a girl like her."

"Is that what you think," she asked him. "Who said that you are the one that gets to decided that, Jake?"

"Me," he answered then shook his head. "Don't I?"

"If you have to ask then you're probably wrong, Jake."

Staci now sat where Roxie had been.

"Staci?" Jake said confused.

"The one and only, babe," she answered him. "It seemed like you needed a cheerleader so here I am. Now get moving up those stairs. Jessica is waiting for you."

"She's with Patrick," he argued.

"Then go get her back. He's not better than you, Jake, and you know that," she told him. "He's not taking her. You're letting her go to him. Get off your damn knees and go get her!"

"Get off your damn knees," he repeated through gritted teeth.

A pair of pom poms appeared in her hands and Staci stood and started to cheer.

"Go, Jake, go!" she shouted as she started to jump up and down beside him.

Jake started to shake his head at the ridiculousness of it but then Staci's voice grew in volume and was joined by others. Jake looked around for the source of the voices but the stadium was still empty save for himself, Staci, and the now even further away Patrick and Jessica. He pushed himself back up to his feet and glanced over at Staci who smiled and nodded at him as she shook her pom poms.

"You can do this, Jake," she said then cheered again.

"You're damn right I can," he nodded and smiled back at her then started to climb the stairs in front of him again.

"Must be one heck of a dream you're having," Jake's nurse commented as his heartbeat rose steadily. "You keep fighting your way back to us, all right?"

Jake didn't answer, of course but, she thought she saw his lips curl up into the beginning of a smile. She noted that along with his heart beat increase on his chart then exited the room.

****

Coach Morrison had the volleyball team seated in the school's gymnasium after school at Jessica's request.

"Do you know what this all about?" Tonya asked Caitlyn.

"I think that we're about to find out," she answered as she nodded toward the gym door.

Jessica had entered with a trio of adults and walked toward them.

"That's the woman that was in Charlotte for our championship," Caitlyn said. "She's from UCLA."

"I'm more interested in the cute guy that's with her," Tonya commented. "He's yummy looking."

"You are impossible," Caitlyn shook her head. "Aren't you dating Scott now anyway?"

"We aren't, like, official or anything yet," she answered. "I can look."

"Well look with your eyes and not your mouth, sis," Tabitha warned her. "We don't need you to embarrass Jessica in front of her recruiter."

While Ashley took Jessica to the side to check on her splint Miss Langston addressed the team. She thanked them for staying after school, introduced herself and her team then explained why they were there.

"I know that you are all helping to look after Jessica since the accident which I know she really appreciates," she said. "My assistant has printed up some info on the type of cast that Jessica is wearing in case any of you have any questions about it."

"I saw her take it off during lunch," Tonya said as Ken handed her one of the sheets. "Is that all right for her to do, sir?"

"I had an itch, Miss Langston," Jessica called out as she made a face at Tonya.

Tonya didn't see it. She was too busy staring up at Ken with a smile plastered on her face until Caitlyn nudged her.

"It's fine as long as she is careful when she takes it off," Miss Langston answered with a pointed look at Jessica.

"Careful," Ashley repeated as she made sure to check that Jessica got the cast back on correctly.

"I was," she assured her. "My friends were all around me to make sure that my wrist didn't move and those that weren't actually physically holding me were holding the ones that were. It was crazy!"

"I hope someone got a video of that," Miss Langston laughed. "And yes, Tonya, that is all right as long as she doesn't move around too much."

"You know my name?" Tonya snapped her attention to Miss Langston.

"Of course I do," she smiled. "I do my homework."

Ken faked a cough which got him a look from her which turned to a slight smile as she shook her head.

"As I was saying," she continued. "I've spoken to Coach Morrison about the kind of exercises that will help Jessica keep in shape while she recovers. She graciously agreed to run through them with all of you."

"We'll meet on Friday after school to go over them since Jessica will be cleared to get back into the weight room by then as long as she takes it easy," Coach Morrison stated as she gave Jessica a knowing look.

"Great point, Coach," Miss Langston said. "We all know that Jessica's likely to try to push herself. I've seen it firsthand, Jessica, so don't try and tell me that I'm wrong there."

"She's got you there, Jess," Caitlyn called out with a giggle. "Don't worry, Miss Langston. We'll keep her under control."

"You mean that you'll try don't you, Caitlyn," Jessica laughed.

"Hey, I'm practically family, Jess," she said. "You listen to me or my cousin gets a bad report on you."

"Mmmm, then maybe he'll spank you," Tonya giggled then blushed when she realized the implication of her words. "Oops."

"You said that quiet thing aloud again, Tonya," Jessica said with her face as equally red.

"Moving on," Miss Langston said as she hid her smile. "I'll turn this over to Miss Thompkins now. Ash?"

Ashley patted Jessica's good arm then stood and asked who was the best at hand massages. Jake's name was answered in near unison from the team of girls which created a wave of giggles as well.

"Well until Jake is available who will step up for Jess?" she asked.

"I guess that would be me," Tabitha raised her hand.

"Lord knows that he's rubbed you enough that you should have his technique down," her sister joked quietly and got nudged in the ribs for it.

"Quiet," Tabitha shushed her.

Ashley asked Tabitha if she could stay for a few minutes so she could show her some massage techniques that she could use. Tabitha nodded and after Miss Langston thanked Coach Morrison and the team again she dismissed them.

"Caitlyn can you hang out for moment too?" Miss Langston asked. "I wanted to ask you something."

"Of course," Caitlyn nodded and went over to where Tabitha and Ashley were seated.

"Jessica, do you have a ride to the hospital?" Miss Langston turned and asked. "I assume that you planned to head there after this. We can take you if you'd like."

"I appreciate that but I already have a ride," she answered. "Staci and Ray are taking me. They're waiting for me out in the parking lot."

"We'll see you there as soon as we finish up here," she stated.

"I'd appreciate that," Jessica answered then gave her a quick hug before she started for the door. "See you soon."

"She's sweet," Ken noted as he joined Miss Langston.

He handed her a folder then nodded toward where Ashley sat and talked to Tabitha and Caitlyn.

"Ready for this, Jess?" he asked.

"Always," she smiled and fought the urge to lean in and kiss him.

She told herself that there would be plenty of time for that later on when they didn't have an audience.

****

Jessica arrived at the hospital with Staci and Ray. They stopped off in the emergency room first to check in with her mom.

"Jess!" Sarah shouted when she spotted her big sister walk in.

She ran over and gave Jessica a hug then she was scooped up by Staci who twirled her around then sat her back on her feet.

"Again!" Sarah giggled.

"Later, Sar-bear," Staci promised her. "After we go see Jake."

"But you have to be quiet so they don't throw us out," Ray added.

"I will be if you spin me around too," she told him.

"Jess, do you hear your shrewd little negotiator?" he chuckled.

"Blame Jake," Jessica smiled. "He taught her that her cute little smile and her giggles can get her almost anything."

"Only almost?" Staci teased.

"Whenever I was there to reel him in," Jessica answered. "Sarah, are we ready to go up and see Jake?"

"Mom was telling us how he's doing," she answered. "Don't you want to hear, Sissy?"

"I already know," Jessica answered. "I've had mom and our friends texting me updates all day long but if you want to stay and hear it from mom..."

"I'll come with you, sissy," Sarah announced as she took hold of Jessica's hand. "You can tell me how Jake is doing on the way since you already know."

"Okay, Sar-bear," Jessica laughed.

"We'll watch after them," Staci promised the Goldens as she and Ray fell into step with Jessica and Sarah.

"I know you will, Staci," Dr. Golden called after them. "We'll see you up there in a few minutes."

As she filled Sarah in on what she considered the good parts of Jake's condition Jessica thought she saw Patrick exit the elevator but that didn't seem right to her.

"Was that Patrick?" she asked.

"Where?" Ray asked as he looked around.

"He just got off the elevator a second ago," she answered as she looked around. "I lost him in the crowd though."

"I highly doubt it was him, Jess," Staci said. "What would he be doing here anyway?"

"I don't know," she answered as she picked up her pace. "I told you that he was being weird after lunch right?"

"When is he not being weird nowadays?" Ray asked.

"He's just in my head because of what happened after lunch," she said as the person disappeared down the hallway which led to the hospitals parking garage.

They rode the elevator up to the ICU waiting area and were greeted with hugs from Jake's mom.

"How are all of you doing?" Jake's mom asked.

"We're all good I think," Jessica answered. "I'm just anxious to see Jake is all."

"Me too," Sarah stated. "Can we go see him now, Mrs. Gibson?"

"You may... after one more hug from each of you," she smiled.

They each obliged her then headed back to see Jake. Jessica walked into his room, leaned down and greeted him with a kiss.

"Hey, Jake," she said with a smile. "I hope that you got plenty of rest today because I have all of your homework with me and Ms. Simpson told me to tell you that she expected it all to be done and turned in on time."

"Oooo, we're doing homework?" Staci asked as she took a seat beside Jake's bed and patted his hand. "Cool. Jake, you help me first all right?"

"Hey," Ray spoke up. "I'm his favorite receiver so I get his help first."

"Maybe but he likes my kisses better so..." Staci started to argue but Jessica cut her off.

"No kissing my boyfriend, Staci," she told her.

As Staci poked out her tongue, Jessica's phone chimed that she had a message. She pulled it out as she scooted onto the edge of Jake's bed.

"It's Caitlyn," she reported. "She wants me to call her."

"Tabitha probably wants her to set up your first massage," Staci giggled then nudged Jake's arm. "Hear that, Jake? Jess is starting to replace you."

"I am not!" Jessica exclaimed. "This is just temporary, Jake. I need your hands but Tabby's will have to do until you wake up."

"She's telling you to hurry up and wake up, Jake," Ray added as Jess called Caitlyn back.

"I really am," Jessica agreed as Caitlyn answered her call.

"Did you know, Jess?" she asked. "I can't believe that you didn't tell me if you did know."

"Caitlyn, what are you talking about?" Jessica asked.

"The scholarship!" she answered excitedly. "Miss Langston... she told me that she was going to keep an eye on me next season for a scholarship to UCLA! I can't believe it! I'm so excited, Jess!"

"Oh my god, I am too!" Jessica answered. "No, I had no idea she was going to do that! That's amazing news, Caitlyn! I am so proud of you! We'll have to throw you a party to celebrate!"

"Let's wait until Jake wakes up," she said. "That way we'll have a lot more to celebrate, okay? I love you, Jess!"

"Love you too, Caitlyn," she said. "I'll see you soon."

****

"Penny for your thoughts," Patrick's mom said as she drove home.

Patrick hadn't said a word since he had left Jake's room and he hadn't been able to look Jake's mom in her eyes as his mother had bid her goodbye.

"Huh?" Patrick snapped out of the thoughts that ran through his head.

"You've been very quiet since you saw your friend," his mom pointed out. "Do you want to talk about it?"

He shook his head and continued to look out the side window as they drove along. He was quiet for several more moments then spoke.

"I didn't expect him to look that bad," he said. "He's really busted up."

"I know, baby," she said. "He looks better today and that's good."

"He looked worse?" Patrick asked unbelievably.

"He was very swollen when I first saw him," his mom shared. "A lot of that has gone down now which is good. That means that he's getting better."

"Does it?" Patrick asked.

"Pam said that he had a bit of setback earlier today," she told him.

"What kind of setback?" he asked.

"I don't know the details but his mom said that she was told that he seemed to slip deeper into the coma that he's in," she answered him.

"I tried to talk to Jessica today and she was so down," he said. "She must have heard what was happening with Jake."

"I imagine so," his mom said. "She has gone through a lot as well. Jake's mom was telling me that it was Jessica that pulled him from his car while it was burning. Even with a broken wrist and the concussion she had. She sounds like a remarkable young lady."

"Yeah," Patrick nodded as his voice caught in his throat.

They drove in silence for few moments until they pulled into their driveway when Patrick spoke again.

"Mom... I... I messed up," he confessed. "I messed up really badly."

"What did you do, Patrick?" she asked.

"I did it," he said. "I hit them. I caused the wreck."

"You did what?" his mom asked in shock.

"I did it!" he shouted in frustration. "That dent on my car is from hitting Jake's car not some stupid dumpster! I wrecked them! I nearly killed them both!"

"Baby, come... come sit down with me," his mother said as she reached out for him. "We need to talk this out."

"What's there to talk out, mom?" he asked as she led him to the kitchen.

"You need to tell me exactly what happened that night," she explained. "It sounds like it's eating you up inside."

She sat him at the table then got him a water in the hopes that he would be able to tell her everything.

"How did this happen?" she asked as she took a seat.

"You and dad went to his party thing and I didn't have anywhere to go so I went for a drive," he started.

"Were you drinking?" she asked.

"A little," he admitted. "And don't start in on the drinking and driving thing, mom."

"You can stow that smart assed mouth of yours right now, young man," she snapped. "You just told me that you nearly killed two people now explain yourself. Is that understood?"

Patrick was taken aback. It was rare to hear his mother raise her voice and rarer still was the anger that tinged her words. He looked at her with his mouth agape for a moment.

"Sorry," he whispered.

"Continue," she ordered him.

"I went out for a drive," he picked up his story. "Maybe to Staci's, maybe to Somer's, I wasn't really sure. I was just pissed off and needed to blow off some steam."

"Why were you pissed off?" his mom asked.

"I was just thinking about how this school year had gone for me," he explained. "Jake got everything this year. He got the girl. He got the football team's respect. He got a lot of new friends and I lost it all."

"So you went out looking for Jake to what? Even the score?" she asked.

"No," he answered vehemently. "I mean at least I didn't at first. I just went for the drive to try to clear my head and that's when I saw Jake's Mustang. It was just ahead of me and all I could think of was how he took everything from me this year so I... I sped up. When I started to catch up I hit my bright lights just to mess with him but that just wasn't enough. So I tapped his bumper. Maybe I did it twice, I don't remember. I just remember that I hit him, his car started to slide into the curve so I passed him. I don't even remember if I looked back to see what happened once he started to skid. I just left them there and came home. I didn't know they crashed or even how bad it was until the next morning."