All Comments on 'New Year's Resolution'

by Spencerfiction

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
I don't get it.

The Feds? Just to make sure he doesn't tell? Why should they care? All they'd be interested in would be the technology.

GHreaderGHreaderover 4 years ago

Happy New Year SpencerFiction.

This is a short sweet si-fi story, or is it...

You packed a lot of story into a very few words. Well done.

mordbrandmordbrandover 4 years ago
Disappointing

You took the King one atom in a blade of grass concept from TDT, and then just as we get interested, the story fizzled out. Why?

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Horton Hears a Who!

And got an attorney!

UncleGrahamUncleGrahamover 4 years ago
Is this a tease?

Getting us going with just one page, then leaving us hanging?

prinnaveaprinnaveaover 4 years ago
Years A Go

Liked your story. When I was a teenager I thought about this very thing when I studied atoms, and electrons. I liked the way you brought this out with a grain of sand.

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode along this line??

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 4 years agoAuthor
Yes it does seem like a Twilight Zone theme

What actually gave me the idea for the story was Harrison Ford's computer analysis of cyborgs' "memory" photographs in Blade Runner, when he was able to get into a 2D image and see what was reflected in mirrors and fish scales, even see behind walls. That made me think about the "surface" of the universe being a grain of sand among uncountable number of grains and being able to see inside; but to get to that point I wanted Our Universe within those infinite layers of grains, making Mankind infinitely insignificant. I thought that "knowledge" was dangerous to mankind’s religious-fed ego, knowing that our universe could be scooped up and made into a glass pane or beer bottle on a whim and the discovering scientist wanted to spare Mankind from that knowledge. Of course the "Feds" would want access to resolutions that fine for spying and wavelengths infinitely faster than light for military lasers; and if they cannot have them, then they wouldn’t want anyone to know they had been discovered so anyone with that knowledge would have to disappear.

I hoped the story would be thought provoking. It first appeared in my book of 52 short stories published in March 2014, most of which aren't suitable for Lit, and had a second airing in a sci-fi anthology by Zombie Pirate Press in Australia in 2017. I was re-reading old stuff over the holidays, so I thought it might be interesting to see Lit sci-fi reader reactions, even if it was unlikely to ever achieve a reasonable score.

sdc97230sdc97230over 4 years ago
Might have been badly timed

Considering what's been in the news the past few years, I was really hoping for a story in which the MC exposes a scandal and brings about the downfall of corrupt government bad guys.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSpencerfiction@Spencerfiction
An old printer, typesetter, proofreader, local politician and activist. I write for pleasure only, an untrained writer too set in his ways to change or learn. I have courted and been wedded to the same impossible angel for over four decades, so I am an unremitted romantic. If ...