Not In This Lifetime Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

------------

November, year 0029

Terrasa Post, Domarcan occupied territory in the bordering country of Daneolis

Following his second meeting with Allius Domarc, Symond sat with his good friend Tane next to the crackling campfire. When officer Tane had received a promotion he'd been sent to Daneolis to help with the efforts to capture more territory, and so the two men hadn't been able to chat as regularly as they had grown accustomed to over the years. Symond had missed his friend. After much banter and catching up, the two sat in silence for a while.

At long last, Tane broke the silence to ask the burning question he'd been wondering since he first learned that his friend would be relocating. "Why are you here, Sym?" Symond looked at Tane for a moment before answering. It was a simple question, but he understood it to be a more serious inquiry than it appeared. It was like the man could see right through him.

"I think I'm growing soft, Tane." Symond sighed.

Tane laughed loudly. "No way -- wicked Welles is losing his edge?"

Symond let out a scoff and stared off into the distance. After a long pause, he spoke. "Tane, I had Mile Domarc. I had my hands on him."

Tane looked a bit surprised as he processed this. "He escaped? Or you let him go?"

"I let him go."

Tane let out another laugh. "Oh shit, you really are losing your edge."

"I don't want to have to hurt him. Or to see him hurt."

"Huh. The sex was that good?"

"It was."

"Jesus, Sym, I was kidding." Tane was looking at him in disbelief. "You really -- I don't -- Mile Domarc? huh." Tane sat back as he tried to process this. They were quiet for a few minutes. Finally, Tane spoke again. "Maybe it's not such a bad thing that you're losing your edge, Welles."

Symond scoffed again. "How do you figure?"

Tane shrugged. "You've fought a lot of battles, achieved a lot of glory in the army. But has that made you happy?"

It was Symond's turn to shrug. "At the time it did. But I suppose the happiness was fleeting."

"So maybe embrace the change. See what happens." Tane guzzled down the rest of his ale while Symond sat pensively. Tane continued. "People change. Experience changes us. If you ask me, caring more about people is never a bad thing."

Symond laughed a little. "I suppose when you put it that way you are right."

Tane grinned. "I usually am. Hey, it's great to have you here. It's been too long."

Symond nodded in agreement. "I have certainly missed both your company and sage advice, my friend. Now, tell me more about this Renan fellow that our prince Allius detests so much."

Tane gave a nod. "Young fellow, probably around your age. Very popular with his people. He'd barely been in office before we started moving in -- as you probably know, that's one reason why king Domarc chose to invade. He thought Daneolis would be an easy target with an amateur leader." Tane picked up a stick and began poking at the charcoals in the fire. "There have been multiple assassination attempts, but he has managed to evade them all. Daneolis is a small country, but his people have demonstrated that they are willing to fight for and with him to protect their land." He shook his head and tossed the stick to the side. "They just fucking love the guy. He's been receiving a ton of support from neighboring countries as well. This whole thing could have long been over if not for that factor."

"Hm." Symond gazed into the campfire, small embers floating up into the air around them. "Should be interesting."

12