Ocean Apart

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Middleson
Middleson
193 Followers

I was on vacation when Mom called, telling me that I needed to come home. Dad was involved in a severe accident on a construction site and was hospitalized at Mount Saint Joseph in Vancouver. I called my team management and explained the situation, and they told me to go home. It was the off-season, so I had plenty of time and didn't have to worry about training.

I couldn't change the past six years, or take back my mistakes. But right now...today I could avoid having another regret. My Dads accident reminds me how precious time is. I could have lost him, and not had a chance to apologize for not being there. I would change that starting today.

Home Is Where The Heart Lies

Boarding my Air Canada flight, I mentally prepared for the overdue reunion. This was going to be emotional and distressing for all.

Twelve hours later, I'm looking out over Vancouver from the airplane window as we are getting ready to land. I'm still nervous. After clearing customs and getting my luggage, I get in my rented car.

On the way to the hospital, I mentally prepare to see my family and decide that I will just turn around and return to Portugal if there is too much hostility.

My stomach is knotted as I pull into the hospital parking lot.

"Hi, would you please tell me my dad's room number?" I ask the hospital employee after I approach their desk.

"What's his name?"

"Frank Silva."

Looking up the information, she answers, "Mr. Silva is in room #5210. Here is a map to help you find your way."

"Thank you."

Stepping off the elevator, my nausea and fear have returned.

As I enter the room, I take a deep breath and mentally prepare for the worst. There is a gasp and a muffled scream. It's Mom. I just stand there, still wearing my toque and black pea coat.

It takes Mom a moment before she asks, "Paul is that you, baby?"

No longer the boy she remembered, she approaches in tears. Reaching up, she pulls me tight to her. Crying, she kisses my cheeks while clutching me tight, as though afraid I will disappear.

"Why didn't you tell me you were arriving today? I could've picked you up."

"It's all right, Mom. I landed an hour ago and have a rental. Besides, you have enough to deal with right now."

Walking over to Dad's bed, I notice his bruised face; it's covered with cuts and scrapes. His left arm and shoulder are cast together. His left leg is cast to the hip, while his right has a cast up to his knee.

"How's Dad?"

"I'm hurt, but I'm not deaf, Paul! Come here, and say hello to your old man."

Bending down, I kiss Dad on the cheek. It is common to greet elders and seniors like this in Portugal. Then, grabbing a chair, I sit beside him while Mom sits on the opposite side.

"What happened, Dad?"

"It was a fluke accident. I was working beside a zoom boom that was lifting a load of lumber. The load shifted and fell off the forks. My hard hat saved my head, but the lumber caught the rest of me."

Mom explains that he'll be fine after a long rehabilitation and lots of physical therapy.

"Does Samantha know your back?" Mom asks.

Tensing and shutting my eyes, I shake my head.

"Paul, isn't it time you come home? How long are you going to run from her? Isn't six years enough wasted time? She's unhappy, and you're avoiding us...her. Talk to her, Paul!"

I lower my head in shame as tears well up in my eyes.

Mom clears her throat to get my attention. Then, with a warm smile, she puts her soft hand on mine and says, "Paul, baby, when you're ready, talk to us. We don't want to lose our kids. We're here to listen and help if we can."

I'm choked up inside and can't get any words out. I don't know what to say anyway. I feel sad and guilty. So much guilt.

Mom continues, "You must be exhausted. Here's the house key. Go make yourself at home and get some rest. Dad's not going anywhere."

"Sure. Bye, Dad. I'll see you later," I say before walking out of the room.

Mom follows me out into the hallway and says, "Paul, I'm renting a place close to here. Samantha moved out a few years ago, so you have the house to yourself. Will you please look after it, and I'll drop in when I can?"

"Sure, Mom."

I guess I won't have to see her yet. Driving to my childhood home, I think about what my mom said. Apparently, they know or suspect why I left and the problem between Sam and me.

Pulling onto my old street, everything looks the same...except the trees are bigger, and the homes are older.

After grabbing my luggage, I go inside. I'm suddenly inundated with memories. Some of my best days were spent here. Loving parents and a big sister who at the time was my best friend, the love of my life, and my kryptonite.

It's only eight at night, but I'm exhausted. I shower, put on some fresh clothes, and head to the family room to sit on the sofa and veg out. My eyelids are heavy, so I decide to rest them for just a bit. Before I know it, it's Saturday morning.

Wanting to maintain my training routine, I put on some running tights and a long sleeve hoodie. I grab a toque, tuck my hair under it, and start a ten-kilometer run.

I stop in the driveway a little over an hour later, dripping in sweat. A female has her back to me and is locking the front door. Then, hearing my footsteps, she turns around. We both stand in shock, gazing at one another. I know immediately, I can never forget...those eyes...her eyes. She doesn't recognize me at first, but her face changes when she realizes who I am. She begins to cry.

"Paul, is that really you?"

"Hi, Sam!"

Her face changes from shock to anger. Her face turns red, and the vein on the side of her neck bulges. As she gets closer, I'm amazed at how beautiful she is. I thought I hadn't forgotten her, but her beauty is without comparison, even with as angry as she is. Then things turn to shit!

"You fucking asshole! How dare you!" Her hand is lightning fast as she raises it and slaps me. Then just as quick, she bursts into tears, runs to her car, and gets in.

In less than a minute, I went from elation to seeing Sam again to wondering how in the hell I'm going to fix this. She's gone now. I have no idea where she went, but she's gone. Dropping my head in sadness, I lumber to the front door and go inside.

End Part I

Feel free to leave a comment or message. Thank you for reading. I'd like to thank RandyGimp for all his time and work in helping out with editing this story. Part II is currently written and being edited.

Middleson
Middleson
193 Followers