Official Choices

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She held up her sandwich, offering a bite to the woman. "So, Uncle Jonah. Dad says you come over a lot. You do much? Family games or something?"

Hannah stole half the sandwich with a ridiculous bite, before grinning at her, and speaking through it. "We could play Twister!"

"No." Jonah said flatly, and shrugged, "Ah, mostly Hannah plays on the computer. Whilst I and Teo sit out here with a quiet drink. Celia joins us sometimes, other times she plays piano. There's one in the spare bedroom."

Lorelai felt her stomach flip into butterflies as her dad emerged, whilst also feeling a massive amount of guilt for flirting with her cousin, no matter how little it was.

He set a beer down in front of his brother, and held up another towards her, "Feel like joining us?"

She shook her head sheepishly, "I... Don't really like beer. Sorry."

"Wine? Got plenty of that, too." He offered her.

Lorelai shook her head, again, "I'm fine. But, thanks. Daddy."

"Daddy. You're adorable." Hannah said, and then seemed embarrassed and looked away.

Jonah made a disapproving grunt, "Nip that in the bud."

"Oh, honey. Of course that'll happen. They're total strangers." Celia sat down nearby, balancing a glass of sparkling white. "They'll learn they're family, in time."

Mateo glanced around, "Hmm. Well, this feels awkward. So, something about board games?"

"No one wants to play your complicated four hour RPG stuff." Jonah said to his brother, "Well, not right now. Still on, for next week, though?"

"Yeah. Only Paul pulled out." Mateo said, "And I wasn't going to suggest it. I was thinking five-card draw, or something like that. You know that one, Lorelai?"

She nodded, and then stared at the crust of her sandwich as Hannah stole another bite from her with a giggle. She glared at the woman, and grabbed another sandwich, sitting further down the couch swing to protect it. "Yeah, I know how to play. Sounds like fun."

Mateo ducked inside for a minute, to grab the cards.

His brother leaned forward, "Hannah. Seriously, not appropriate. Keep yourself to yourself."

"Whatever." The redhead rolled her eyes. "I'm just playing around. It isn't serious."

"I am, though."

Lorelai could tell that her cousin was behaving brattily towards her dad because she was hurting. She was trying to cover up how much it hurt to be a disappointment.

"It's my fault, too. Sorry." She whispered, "I... May have encouraged her. Things just feel a lot awkward, right now. I'm in a house full of total strangers, and I feel safer than I do at home. More relaxed."

Celia looked at her, "That is very mature of you, Triss."

"Please don't call me that." She winced, "I know it's my name... But I like the other one, more. I wanna change it."

"Changing your name is a big deal." Her aunt replied, sensibly.

She shrugged, "I know. I like it more. I don't like my mum. It's... Beautiful. Makes me feel beautiful. And it makes me feel closer to my dad. So I want it. Don't call me, Triss. Please."

"If that's what you want." Celia nodded.

Hannah scooted closer to her, suddenly, and pulled out her phone and held it up, "Cousin selfie!"

The phone issued a snapping sound, and the girl showed her the picture, "We look adorable, together. What's your number, so I can send it to you."

That was about as subtle as a brick through a window.

Lorelai tapped her number onto the phone, and shook her head. Smiling as she realised that her dad, she, and Jonah, all had the same head shake when they were feeling exasperated.

When she got the photo, she fired off a copy to Kirstie.

"Who's that?" Hannah asked, intrigued.

She shrugged, "My best friend. She was a bit worried about this whole... Running off to meet a strange guy, thing."

"She cute?" Hannah asked, cautiously.

Lorelai rolled her eyes, and pulled up her gallery, showing off the black-haired goth. "Depends by what you think cute is. I reckon her chokers are always sexy. But they don't look as good on me."

"Damn. She is hot!" Hannah exclaimed, "You ever kiss her?"

"No." Lorelai said tightly, "I don't swing that way."

They were spared an argument, when Mateo returned with the cards. He made some room on the table, and began shuffling the deck out with a practised hand.

Hannah sat up, excitedly, "We should make a bet. Something interesting."

"Oh no." Jonah complained.

Mateo flicked through the cards, "Last time, it was who was going to pay for dessert. What do you have in mind, Hannah?"

"If you hadn't realised, honey, these two are extremely competitive." Celia interjected, "Don't deal me a hand, Teo. I'm not playing, if you're taking it seriously."

Lorelai took her five cards, shielding them from Hannah, who was biting her lip and thinking. The redhead mused for a bit, and then shrugged, "I dunno. It should be your thing, cuz. Your birthday, yesterday. Your choice. Name something you want. Winner has to treat you."

"That doesn't seem fair." She whispered nervously.

Jonah frowned, "No, that's a good one, Hannah. Very mature. I like it. Whoever wins, has to treat Lorelai."

She nibbled nervously on her sandwich, not sure if she liked all the attention... But at the same time, feeling like she really wanted Mateo to win it.

She wanted her dad to have an excuse, to treat her. "What if I win?"

"Then you get to choose who has to treat you." Hannah shrugged, "Come on. We're all excited to have you back. Just play along."

Lorelai nodded slowly, "Sure. First round of betting then?"

"Gummy worms." Mateo picked up a bowl off one of the trays, handing them around, "I bet two."

He tossed them down into the middle of the table.

"Three from me." Hannah said, mirth suddenly vanishing from her voice. Her mum was right, the girl was absolutely determined to win.

"Fold." Jonah sighed, "Lorelai?"

She considered for a moment, "Five."

Hannah glared over at her, rolling her jaw, "Call."

"Call." Mateo agreed, and spread out his cards, "And... Full house."

"Fuck." Hannah swore angrily, tossing out a two pair onto the table.

Jonah shook his head, "Language."

Lorelai smiled over at her dad, and laid out her cards, "Read 'em, and cry in a corner. Straight flush."

"Luck o' the devil!" Hannah exclaimed. "You didn't cheat for her, did you, Teo?"

He shook his head, staring, "I can't believe I got a full house on the first round, and I still lost. Wow. Your turn to deal, Lor."

She shoved her food into her mouth, and picked up the cards. She couldn't deal like her dad, so it took her a bit longer until everyone was sitting around tensely.

Hannah glared at her cards, and then whispered, "I hate this. Fold."

"Wow. Already? Not even going to try and bluff?" Mateo said in surprise, and then put two more gummy worms onto the pile.

"When the cards are shit, they're shit." Hannah shrugged.

Jonah shook his head, "I hate what this game brings out in you, daughter. Call."

"You only call me that when you're mad." Hannah's jaw practically cracked.

Lorelai glanced at her cards, and looked up at her dad and grinned sheepishly, "Raise."

"No way. Not again." Mateo said with disbelief, "Call."

"Fold." Jonah said from the side, "She's inherited your luck, Teo. I wouldn't tempt her."

She laughed and showed her cards.

Her dad shook his head, "Not even a pair. That's a dead hand. Too bad for you, I've got three of a kind. My pot."

Celia frowned, "Oh my. She's got quite the poker face. Not even a hint that you were trying to bluff it, honey."

She shrugged casually, "Well, I was raised by my mum."

Mateo's face briefly looked disapproving, but he managed to bite his tongue, this time. Hannah, on the other hand, looked at her with an overwhelming sense of concern.

Jonah put a finger to his lips, glaring at his daughter.

Mateo dealt out another series of cards, "What do you say, we make this the last round? Got to pick your treat, Lorelai."

"'Kay, Daddy." She replied as she took her cards.

Hannah giggled, and whispered to her, "That's still adorable."

"Three." Jonah made his bet first.

The redhead glared at her dad, fingered her cards grimly, and then issued her bet, "Five."

"Fold." Mateo said with disappointment, making Lorelai's heart drop like a stone. He couldn't win, now. Which meant she wasn't going to end up with him being the one to treat her.

She was tempted to fold, just because he was out.

"Cuz?" Hannah elbowed her, "You there?"

She shook off the funk, "What was your bet, again?"

"Five."

Lorelai took a glance down at her cards, and looked up and over at her uncle's confident poker face. Confident, but flawed. His cards were actually decent.

Hannah, beside her, would do basically anything to annoy her dad. Her cousin felt some kind of innate need to try and rub him up the wrong way. Lorelai wasn't sure if it was instinctual, or conscious, but it was there.

Hannah's cards were dead.

"Call." She sighed.

The redhead looked over, "Well, Dad? In or out?"

"In." He replied, and matched the bet.

Hannah tossed her cards onto the table, "Fuck."

"Language!" Jonah said louder, and shook his head, "Oh well. A three and a pair. Lorelai?"

She looked at the cards he was displaying, and smiled slowly and showed her own. "A three. And a pair. And higher."

"What the shit?" Hannah said in amazement.

Jonah shook his head and sipped at his drink. Showing his disappointment for his daughter's language in a way that would hurt her more than telling her off.

Mateo tried to be diplomatic, "Guess you win, daughter. So, who is treating you, and what are they treating you to?"

"You." She said quickly, and then bit her lip, "Um... I wanna sleep over. Tonight."

"Sleepover!" Hannah said excitedly, "Can I, dad? I know, I'm supposed to be grounded. And I deserve it. But... Please?"

Lorelai wanted her uncle to say no. It was selfish, but she wanted her dad all to herself. She wanted to curl up on the couch with him, not the fiery explosion of a woman.

Jonah caught the expression, and considered it, "Maybe another time. I think they might have some catching up, to do."

"Oh. Yeah." Hannah winced, looking down sheepishly, "Sorry, cuz. Guess I forgot you rediscovered your dad. I didn't just discover you."

She patted the woman's knee, "Hey, I've got a cousin. I'm pretty ecstatic about that, too. But... Yeah. I just want my dad... If... I can sleep over."

"I'll make up the spare bed, on one condition." Mateo said slowly, not sounding as excited by the idea as she was.

Lorelai swallowed, "Please don't make me talk to mum about it."

"Oh, you don't have to ask her. You're an adult." Her dad replied, "Just... Tell her. And then you can ignore the phone call, like before."

She ground her teeth together, but pulled out her phone and sent a text message. Her phone immediately started ringing. She muted it and tucked it away.

Jonah sighed heavily, "How is Ruby?"

"Don't ask." She said angrily.

Celia bounced to her feet, "Can you help me cut up the watermelon for desert, dear?"

The two headed inside, and Lorelai leaned back on the swing glumly. She took a deep breath, "Sorry, dad. I... Probably making things annoying for you, aren't I?"

"I figured you might ask, actually." He said and shrugged, "Not an issue. I get to do something I've never done before, and always wanted to."

She frowned, "Really? What?"

"Make you breakfast in bed."

Lorelai grinned excitedly, "Aw. That's sweet."

Hannah looked between them, and whispered to her, "Can I talk to you, for a minute?"

She glanced at her, "Sure?"

The redhead stood up silently and walked out from under the verandah and around the corner. Lorelai glanced at her dad, who just shrugged, not knowing.

She sighed and walked up, hoping she wasn't in for another kiss ambush.

Hannah was leaning against the back of the house, looking up at the bright sky, with a grim expression on her face. The redhead had the same expression on her face that Lorelai wore when she had to break up with a guy.

She swallowed, "So..."

"Closer. Don't want your dad to hear us." Hannah whispered.

She rolled her eyes and moved closer, leaning beside her, "Are you going to make this awkward, again? I told you it wasn't going to happen a second time."

"Yeah. And I get why, now. Just not sure that you do." Hannah whispered, "But I was watching you, that whole game. Did you realise you were staring at Teo?"

"I was what?"

The redhead nodded grimly, "That's a right mess, you got, there."

"What the fuck are you suggesting?" Lorelai hissed quietly. "He's my dad."

"Exactly." Hannah whispered back, "But your body doesn't know that, does it? Tell me you don't want to sleep in his bed."

"I don't... Want..." She hesitated, and her cheeks flushed, "Oh, fuck. Oh... Oh, that's bad. Fuck. How did you notice that?"

"You look like I do, when I get a crush." Hannah shrugged, "Sorry, cuz. I thought it'd be better to hear it from me, than to work it out at three in the morning."

"What the fuck do I do?" She hissed.

Hannah gave a sheepish little shrug, "Hell if I know. He is cute, and kind. But he's also family."

"He's also older than me." She said and kicked the ground, "Why the fuck?"

The redhead chuckled, "So? Older guys sound fun. Experienced. Oh. Not helping."

"No."

She winced, "Look... I don't have answers. I'm like two weeks older than you. I just recognised the way you were watching him. Maybe you just have to watch yourself, and you'll get over it."

"Fuck." She took a deep breath, "If you weren't such a flirt, I'd want you to stay the night."

"Yeah. Bad idea. You'd just make me jealous, and I'd make some other stupid mistake that'd make my dad more pissed at me." Hannah said bitterly.

Lorelai's eyes widened and she turned to stare at her cousin. "Say that, again."

"Oh, shit."

Her jaw fell open, "No way."

"Please. Please don't ruin my life." Hannah begged her, even putting her hands together.

Lorelai laughed pathetically, "Well, don't we make a pair. Fuck."

"At least you didn't grow up with him. You've only just met, yours. I've got no excuse." Hannah winced.

She frowned, thinking, "Your mum picks up on things. Do you think that... She knows?"

"She does." Hannah swallowed nervously, "Notice how she tries to make sure I'm never alone, around him?"

Lorelai frowned, "I didn't. But... Wow. Awkward. You're right. We're a pair. I... Have no idea what to think, right now."

"My advice? Get a boyfriend." Hannah stated firmly, "The only way to move on, is to move on."

"You first."

The redhead winced, and rubbed a hand at her head, frizzing up her hair. "Do you remember what happened at my eighteenth? I got so disappointed I couldn't have him, and my dumb dream and... Yeah."

"You wanted your dad to be your first." Lorelai barely managed to breathe as she said it.

Hannah cringed, "I'm a piece of shit, aren't I?"

"Nope. Now I want mine to be my first. Fuck." Lorelai cursed, and kicked the ground, again. "It's like having a sexier mirror of myself. I can't judge you. Not even a little."

"Guessing you didn't do something fucking stupid yesterday." Hannah smiled, "At least you've got that, on me."

"I put condoms on balloons with my mouth. That's as crazy as I got." She shook her head, "Oh, fuck. I shouldn't stay here tonight. I'm going to do something I'll regret. I just know it."

Hannah leaned in and softly kissed her cheek, "Don't waste your first. Not like I did. Make it mean something. Can't mean much, if you can't have him."

"Stay over." Lorelai said suddenly, "Please. We can keep each other honest."

"I'll end up hurting you. I already wanna do... Everything... To you."

She shrugged, "Better than me fucking up my second chance to have a dad. Please. I might even let you kiss me, again."

Hannah hesitated and winced, "Yeah. Shit. I guess my dad can get over me being stupid. Yours doesn't even really know you... I didn't even think about that, you already feel like a part of the family."

The two of them went quiet as they heard footsteps approaching, both just looking down at the ground with the exact same face of guilt as they struggled with the emotional toll of their revelations.

Hannah's mother looked concerned as she saw them, "I was going to ask what you girls are up to. But, I think I can guess what you were talking about."

"What the hell am I meant to do?" Lorelai whispered.

Celia glanced backwards to make sure the boys weren't listening in and stepped closer, putting a hand on each of their shoulders and smiled at them, "No matter what you do, we're family. We love you, even when you misbehave or act irrationally."

Hannah rolled her eyes, "Like you'd say that if I did it, mum. You'd be so pissed at me."

"You really want a solution?" Celia asked, addressing Lorelai more than Hannah, "Well, I don't want to say anything I'll regret... But I can tell you about something I found out when they legalised gay marriage."

Lorelai made a face, "I'm not that into her. Hannah's the one with the bloody crush."

"Cousins are allowed to marry. First cousins. It's only parents and siblings who can't, under the Act." Celia said quietly.

Hannah's jaw dropped, "Mum... Did you just...?"

She shrugged, "Food for thought. And a distraction from our gorgeous men, who wouldn't have a clue what to do if you tried to get their attention. Lord knows, Jonah has a hard enough time when I give him hints, and we're married."

Lorelai looked up at her aunt sheepishly, "You're telling me to date your daughter."

"I'm saying that you can. I'm not telling you what to do, Tri... Lorelai." Celia smiled at her, "We don't do that, honey. Even before Hannah was an adult, we didn't tell her what to do. Some of her choices hurt us, but they're still her choices. We'll always be there to help dig her out of any mess. And to support her when the choice is hard."

She bit her lip, and glanced at Hannah, "I... I've never dated a girl. And you're way too forward. But... Fun."

"So... What you're saying is..." The redhead hesitated.

Lorelai shrugged, "I'm saying, I'm not promising shit. But I do need someone to distract me. Especially if I'm staying the night."

"I'll let our men know, that Hannah is staying over." Celia said sweetly, "But, you should set up a camera for our family photo. And then we've got a surprise for Lorelai."

The blonde spun back to her, "A surprise?"

"Yeah, that's mum." Hannah said and stepped forward off the wall, "She's the one you go to, if you want to be spoiled absolutely rotten. Um... I'll set up over there, see that slight rise? Perfect for photos."

As the redhead moved off, Lorelai smiled at her aunt, almost bursting into tears. "I'm not a sick, gross, monster?"

"You're eighteen, sweetie." Celia rolled her eyes, "You are a bag of hormones. And you're not allowed to tell Hannah, but she's not the only one who lost her virginity to something excessive that she regretted. That's why it hurt, so much. I don't want her walking down my path. Her father set me straight. Taught me love."

"Why wouldn't you tell her that, then?" Lorelai said in confusion, "She's so lost, right now. She hates herself for disappointing Uncle Jonah."

Celia nodded, "I might have. But I've got something better than all the motherly advice in the world."

"And... What's that?"

"A best friend for my daughter, right in front of me."

Lorelai flushed, "I'm a terrible choice."

Celia hugged her, leaning her chin into her shoulder, "That you think that, and understand her, is exactly why the two of you are perfect for each other. It might not be what you want, right now... But I will be rooting for you."

With that, the two of them walked over to where one of the concrete slabs had lifted, and waved at the other two to join them.