Old Blood and New Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vyn didn't ask any more about it.

Dinner was meant to be taken at a small, private table on a balcony. The table was small too. There, the Earl of Bethron, Lord Alexis Fabronly, sat down beside one of the most beautiful women in the world. Well, that's what Vyn thought.

Her flaming red hair was swept up in a cloud-like mass of natural looking curls. The candlelight made it glow. Her large eyes seemed dark at first, but Vyn saw a hint of green there. Her almost exposed chest was large and inviting, with a string of pearls draped just a bit above it. The panniers under her skirt were quite wide, which meant that her chair had to be at an angle in order to stay near her companion.

Vyn loved her plump cheeks and upturned nose. She almost had a rabbit-like face, complete with a darling expression of slightly parted lips showing off front teeth that were a little big but very cute. She could definitely try the "cute baby woman" technique if she needed to, but Vyn had a feeling she often tried the "confident sultry woman" technique much more often.

And she was definitely trying the "confident sultry woman" technique right then. Her eyes trailed up and down both the Duke's and Vyn's bodies as if she was appraising a piece of jewelry. Perhaps she found something worth her attention? The way her enchanting eyes energized, and the way her round lips formed a smile, certainly implied something positive.

Vyn and the thrilling beauty of a woman were served food by a servant just as the Earl and Duke were. Vyn and that woman both remained politely silent as their apparent betters discussed things. At first the topics were light in the heart. Then, the Duke finally mentioned the issue they'd brought to the court not long ago.

The conversation then turned much more gray and sad, but Vyn understood why. Nothing rather important was said, though, or rather nothing Vyn either didn't already know or didn't care about. Damn shame what that cult of mostly werewolves was doing, huh? An understatement, indeed, but the Earl was the one who said as much. His smile was trembling when he'd said it. His eyes couldn't shroud his aching.

Yes, a tragedy. Fret not, they'll be dealt with. That was the gist of the Duke's position, but Vyn could sense something in his countenance just as he'd done for the Earl. The Duke's jaw clenched between sentences. His silvery eyes were hardening into shards of ice for the most part, but sometimes that ice melted into a slushy mess as he looked back to the Earl's attempts at a stiff upper lip.

Some time into the conversation, there was a sudden pressure on Vyn's thigh. His heart panicked, and he jolted in his seat. He looked down to see a perfectly manicured hand, complete with fingernails covered in a transparent varnish. He'd heard some upper class women had been experimenting with varnishes on their fingernails, but he hadn't seen it before. He was pretty sure it was a trend learned from an eastern country with a completely different culture. Lots of artistic and fashion related trends had been coming from that way for a while.

Vyn turned his head up and saw that the lovely woman was giving him one of the most forward looks he'd ever seen. She'd even licked a corner of her lips at him.

He didn't want to admit that his cock throbbed a little.

He brushed her hand away, gripped the seat of his chair, and nudged himself closer to the Duke.

That just so happened to be the time when the Earl said, "Ah! Your Grace, I was hoping you might consider taking this poor dear under your arm." His face flushed, and he was almost grinning. "She's a true beauty, but I no longer have the energy for her."

Vyn understood it right then. This woman was certainly a courtesan. It was possible that the Earl was still grieving and overall in distress, and so he might not even have the desire to play around with a courtesan.

The Duke looked over at the woman's face and gently asked, as if he was speaking to a frightened little mouse, "What's your name, Pretty Flame?"

The woman spoke in a partially hushed tone that was as smooth as softened butter.

"Ambre Duponta."

His eyelids tensing only a little, his lips only relaxing a bit, the Duke said to the courtesan, "It's a pleasure to meet you. I wouldn't mind being your patron for a time, if you wouldn't be inconvenienced."

Nodding, Miss Duponta responded with, "I wouldn't be inconvenienced, but I'll pray that your reputation is truthful. I can't entertain well if I believe I'm locked to only one man."

The boldness made Vyn blush and look away. He even coughed a bit into his fist.

Then, without any hint of bitterness, without any cruel tones, the Duke picked up a glass of wine and said, "I don't expect a cube of cane sugar to hold the taste of cinnamon. Neither should I expect a person with your profession to have the behaviors of a chaste wife."

Absolutely nobody had any reaction to such a statement, except that Vyn coughed a bit more.

Frankly, he'd expected fancy people to be more quiet about these sorts of relationships. But then again, Vyn was still very inexperienced in many areas of the world. Still, he saw nothing wrong with what he'd witnessed. Whatever willing adults did without harming anyone was truly nothing to worry about.

After the meal was finished, the Duke reached up to his frothy cravat and removed his golden brooch. Slowly, he slid the brooch across the table and right before Miss Duponta. Then he said to her, "This brooch would suit you."

Miss Duponta's gleaming fingers picked the brooch up. Then she put it to one of the sleeves of her gown, near the shoulder. The brooch's needle was carefully pinned through the fabric and then secured in its clasp. The courtesan's face blossomed into a pleased expression that had Vyn's heart pounding. It was as if sunshine was being kept in a secret and happy place deep within her heart.

***

12