Old Wounds Ch. 04

Story Info
Laying it all on the line is hard, even for a soldier.
12.5k words
4.79
6.7k
20

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 02/11/2024
Created 01/19/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
BlueBran
BlueBran
378 Followers

********************

I truly appreciate all of you for welcoming me back with open arms. I know the delay was too long, so I hope I'm beginning to do you guys justice.

Any and all comments and feedback is more than welcome. Let me know what you think of Matt and Katie so far! I hope you enjoy what I've got planned!

Also, this story, if you haven't caught it by now, is not entirely militarily accurate. Matt going through all the post deployment junk would just take away from the story, so just try to play along to all you know know the differences.

*****************************

The rest of my deployment went by without a hitch. I'd hoped for a calm one and I got it. Sometimes I thought it was too calm, drowning in boredom and my own sweat from being stuck in a desert.

I used to enjoy these. Listen to me... used too... I sound like I've been in for twenty years...

At this point there was only about forty-eight hours until I'd be on a plane headed back to the world, and honestly I couldn't have been any more nervous.

What was I going to do about Katie? I'd kept my promise to her and Ally and been in contact with them more in the last month than I had in any of my other deployments combined. My feelings for her had not dwindled at all. Apparently they weren't just a shower of fleeting emotions. They were here to stay.

I honestly don't think I went an entire hour without thinking of her the whole time I was here. Her beauty, her smile, her laugh, her kiss...

She'd kissed me. That was true. I didn't dream it. That would mean she had to have some kind of feelings for me right? A girl doesn't just kiss a guy for no reason. At least I didn't think so.

Over the rest of the deployment I'd come to the conclusion that I was freaking out over nothing. We'd been best friends since forever, and she kissed me for crying out loud! Regardless, I was still shitting bricks imagining telling her how I felt.

What if I was wrong? What if I she just laughed in my face and walked out of my life? Ok, Katie wouldn't do that, but I still couldn't help but feel like it was a possibility.

Once again, I tried to convince myself it was all in my head, that I was worried about nothing, but it wasn't working. Either way I steeled myself to the reality that I was going to lay it all on the line and find out one way or another. Either I was going to have her, or I was going to lose her. I was either going to hold her for the rest of our lives or lose my best friend.

The thought alone scared me half to death, but I just couldn't go through the rest of my life never knowing if she felt the same way. It scared me how fast and how strong these feelings came over me. They consumed me. It's like I'd been living a lie my entire life and all of a sudden I was brought back into reality. A reality where the only person I wanted by my side was her. The only person I ever wanted to hold again was Katie.

Fuck it. I didn't really have a choice anymore did I? I'd survive the next forty-eight, get home, and pour my heart out to her.

**

"Please put your tray table up and straighten your seat back as we prepare for landing," I heard over the intercom, rousting me from my exhaustion fueled slumber.

I'd flown in to Detroit after leaving post with the quickest debriefing of my life, then boarded the Puddle Jumper to take me to the UP. The instructions from the flight attendant were aimed at me in particular, not because I was doing anything wrong, but because I was the only one on the plane.

In the dozen or so times I'd flown out of or into our small airport this was the third time I'd either had the plane to myself or myself and one other passenger, so it really wasn't uncommon.

The numbers and the calendar were my best friends at this point. Everything had lined up to perfection. I'd gotten back and gotten debriefed, and had thirty days of unused leave, which I was taking now, then it was a flight back to my unit, discharge papers and equipment turn in, and I was done.

Retention tried their best to get me to re-up. Those guys are nothing if not relentless so I'll give them that. My command and my buddies were all sad to see me go, but they understood and I assumed there would be a good few beers drank, goodbyes said, promises to keep in touch, and even a few tears when I finally left the post for good.

I was going to miss it. I knew that for sure. But at the same time, well, I knew I had more important things to do in life at the moment.

I was twenty-three now, having celebrated my most recent birthday in the desert once again. That made it three separate birthdays I'd spent with a rifle in my hand and desert sand on my face. At least my commander usually found a way to find a cupcake for the occasion.

I was ready to settle down. Not the traditional sense of the word, but more of a "be in a single long term relationship with the woman I love, find a good job, get my own place, and have kids before too long" kind of way. Hell maybe I did want to truly settle down...

"Sir?" I heard, snapping me out of my distant mind.

"Yes?"

"You can get off the plane now," the flight attendant with a rather attractive smile.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, fumbling with the seatbelt trying to get out of my seat, "I didn't even realize we'd landed!"

"I figured you were lost in thought," she joked at me. "Just figured you'd want to get home and change."

Due to unforeseen airline issues, meaning they lost my damn personal bag coming back across the pond, I was still in my uniform. It was a clean uniform, as I'd changed before leaving the desert, but it still wasn't the most comfortable thing to travel in, and I couldn't be bothered to go buy civies just for two quick plane rides, and I sure as shit wasn't going back to the barracks to risk getting drug into drinking by the guys, so I worked with what I had.

"Yea I'd have to say these aren't the most comfortable things to travel in, especially since I've been going for two days now..." I sighed as I stood.

I'd been traveling, save for the few hours I spent debriefing, for close to two days now including layovers. We'd landed and went straight to debrief, and those who were taking leave were able to immediately leave, which I did, finding a plane ticket and getting my ass out of dodge.

"I'll bet they're more comfortable than what we have to wear," she laughed. "But our shifts aren't two days long so what do I know?" She added with a smile.

She looked familiar. Like eerily familiar, but I couldn't place it. I didn't fly enough to personally know any flight attendants, so I figured I'd either have seen her in passing at an airport somewhere, or my mind was playing tricks on me.

"Either way, I'm guessing the first thing either of us will do when we get home is forget we ever have to wear these things," I replied, doing my best in my tired state to create some humor.

"Amen to that," she smiled again.

By then we'd made it to the front of the plane. I was one step closer to home, and to my bed.

"Thanks for the safe flight!" I said kindly, stepping off the plane, "you guys have a great night!"

"You too Matt!" She called back, making me stop in my tracks.

"Do I know you?" I asked, hoping it didn't sound as rude as I thought it did.

"Not me, no, at least not any more than in passing, but you know my brother," she explained with a smile.

"Your brother?" I asked in confusion.

"Mark Shmidt?"

"Oh my god that would make you Sarah!" I exclaimed at the realization hit.

I hadn't seen her brother, or her for that matter, since high school. I'd graduated with Mark, and while we weren't the best of buddies, we were still friends, as most everyone seemed to be with everyone in a town this small.

Sarah had been a few years behind us, though I couldn't remember how many. She was a scrawny teen the last time I'd seen her, so that would explain the fact she seemed familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"How's Mark doin? I ain't seen 'im since high school!"

"He's doin' good," she replied, stepping towards me and gesturing for me to keep walking. "I'm done for the day so we might as well walk so they can close up the plane."

"Fair," was the only response I could come up with as I turned and started up the jet bridge.

"But no, Mark's doin' good, just got promoted at the Mill." She continued.

"Paper or Lumber?" I asked.

Around us, the main jobs people did was either working at the mine, or either the sawmill we had right in town or the paper mill about forty-five minutes south of us.

"Paper," she confirmed. "Been there since y'all graduated."

"Good for him," I said, then gestured to my uniform, "I'll be done with this in about a month and was gonna apply at the mill, so maybe I'll see him there."

It may sound like low work to some, but around us, the mills or the mine workers made a pretty decent living. The cost of living up here was pretty low, so sixty-plus a year was like six figures in a lot of the rest of the country, and probably more closer to a quarter million in the cities. I'm happy I'd never have to live in one of those cesspools.

"Yea give him a call and he can tell you all about it," she said with another smile. "You have someone to pick you up?"

"Oh shit yea thanks for reminding me, I gotta call my brother to tell him I landed!"

Due to the near two days of travel and my after midnight arrival time, I'd neglected to tell anyone I was coming home a day early. Not because I didn't want them to know or wanted to surprise them or anything, I just wanted to sleep, and I know if they knew, it would be a party, and I wasn't up for that tonight, so I'd just told my brother and he said he'd keep quiet and come get me.

"If he hasn't already left I can run you home. I'm still living with my parents so it's on the way." She offered, "as long as that's alright with you and not overstepping anyone," she quickly added.

"You sure it's no trouble?" I asked.

"No not at all," she assured me.

By then we'd reached the main part of the "terminal", which is being generous because it was basically just a room with a bunch of seats and 2 gates, since that's all we had at the little airport, and one of the crew already had both my duffles brought up so I didn't have to wait for baggage.

Sarah quickly ducked into an employees only room to clock out and I stepped into the bathroom to relieve myself. It definitely was a stroke of luck running into her since it was close to one in the morning now and I knew my brother had school in the morning, so at least he didn't have to wake up to come get me, since I'd told him I'd call when I land, and if I don't call it means I either got delayed somewhere or found another ride.

Shooting him a text that I knew wouldn't wake him up I told him I'd landed and found another ride, just in case he started to worry for whatever reason, and stepped back into the waiting area to, well, wait for Sarah.

It wasn't but another minute later when she came back out from that room and walked over to me.

"Ready to go?" She asked.

"Let's hit it!" I laughed and I threw one duffle on my back with the backpack straps and grabbed the other in my right hand, carrying it between me and Sarah.

"Fuck!" I cursed as we pushed open the doors and stepped outside.

"What? Forget something?" She asked with a hint of concern.

"No no nothing like that," I reassured her. "But after spending the last six months in the desert it's fuckin cold here!" I added with a laugh and a shiver.

"Oh shit yea I didn't even think about that," she laughed back. "Plus you don't even have a coat."

"The Army gives us a coat, but I'm not even sure it's in these bags anymore," I chuckled. "I'm good though, grew up here so I'm legally required to be used to it."

"Car ain't too far away, you'll live soldier boy," she joked.

She was right, I did indeed live, but not willingly considering the stinging sub-zero air with the even more sub-zero windchill of the Michigan UP. Apparently I'd neglected to think of the fact that if it was warm when I left, then logically six months later it would be freezing.

"Welcome home though Matt," she said sincerely as she cranked the heat up for me.

"Good to be back," I smiled with chattering teeth, thankful she'd started the car while we were still inside.

Nothing was said for the next minute or so as Sarah navigated the snow covered roads leading away from the airport and towards my house. My mind drifted to my bed, and Katie, then back to my bed as I took in the snow covered trees in the headlight beams.

"Wait a minute how do you know where I live?" I asked, smiling to let her know I wasn't upset.

"Had to pick Mark up once or twice when he was passed out drunk in your barn in high school," she laughed. "Plus I pass it all the time since I gotta go through there to get anywhere."

"Fair," I allowed. "Those were some good times in high school. I'll have to call him up now that I'm home and get a class reunion together in the barn."

"I think everyone would like that," she smiled. She really did have a wonderful smile. The last time I'd seen it, it was hidden behind braces.

The drive from my airport wasn't too long, but it was long enough for me to catch myself nodding off a few times, clearly exhausted, so seeing my driveway appear out of the darkness was like seeing a ham sandwich when you're hammered.

"Thanks for the lift Sarah," I thanked her sincerely. "Definitely easier than waiting for Kyle's dumbass."

"Anytime Matt, don't be a stranger hey?"

"Nah, I'm home for good this time around, I'll be around," I said. "Thanks again!"

With a wave of acknowledgement I stepped out and grabbed my bags from the back seat, shutting the door and making my way to the warmth of the house as her taillights faded behind me.

Now all I needed to do was sleep, and then tomorrow I'd figure out what to do about Katie.

**

"Matt!"

"Wha?" I asked groggily, finally stirring from my slumber.

"I've been saying your name for like five minutes dude wake up," said Kyle, taking a step away from my bed, almost as if he was afraid I'd hit him.

"The fuck do you want?" I asked a little more bitterly than I intended.

"There's a very pissed off girl downstairs for you," he said with a grin.

"Fuck, which one?" I asked, knowing it was either Allison or Katie, either sounded plausible at the time.

"Take a wild guess," he answered, still grinning.

"It's Allison ain't it?" I guessed.

"Bingo fuckin bongo," Kyle said, barely containing his chuckling.

"Fuckkkkk," I groaned as I rolled myself out of bed. "How the fuck does she know I'm here?"

"Fuck if I know."

"Tell her I'll be right down."

With that I pulled on a pair of jeans and shrugged into a t shirt and made my way to the bathroom to quick relieve myself before heading down to face the music. Once I left the bathroom I ran into my mother in the hallway, and she wrapped me into a big welcome home hug.

"Welcome home baby!" She said into my cheat. "Not the homecoming I wanted to give you, but I understand why you snuck back in. Welcome home Matt."

"Thanks Ma," I said sincerely. "I knew you's would plan something and I was just absolutely dead so I figured this was best. We'll have to catch up in a bit though, I've got a-"

"An angry girl downstairs waiting for you? Yea I know. I did calm her down some though. You can thank me later," she grinned as she hugged me one more time before releasing me.

" 'preciate it," I groaned, making my way towards the stairs once again.

I wasn't completely sure why she'd be pissed at me. Like, I get that I snuck home a day early, and even then I got home after midnight so technically it was still today, but still, I'd basically disappeared for years, this time I just came home EARLY and she was still pissed? Fuckin' women.

I figured it had to be because of the whole new Katie development. Even then though, I figured it would be Katie who would be mad at me, not Allison. Why did SHE feel the need to show up to my house all pissed off?

I was still trying to come up with something as I hit the main floor and turned towards the kitchen. She must have heard me coming since as I made the turn around the corner she was staring at me.

I expected her to yell, cuss at me, or something, but I didn't expect her to literally run at me and wrap me up in a hug. She didn't look mad at all for the moment, like the anger I saw for a split second evaporated as she saw me. I'd guess she was just more happy I was home safe than mad I didn't say anything.

"Outside. Now." She scolded as she broke the hug.

"It's fucking freezing out," I protested, not even thinking about it.

"Do I look like I give a fuck?" She deadpanned, "you're a smoker. Have a fuckin smoke or something."

"Man I really fucked up didn't I?" I asked with a grin, trying to ease the tension.

She didn't respond, didn't say or do anything other than grab her coat off the chair and head towards the back door and the porch beyond.

I shrugged, not really having a choice and grabbed my Carhartt off the hook and pulled my boots on, set to follow her. Luckily the porch sat against a corner of the house, and luckier yet, that corner was in the direction the wind usually came from so the porch tended to feel a good ten to fifteen degrees warmer at all times of the year.

As I stepped outside I was once again bombarded with a chill. It was fucking cold. Well, I guess it wasn't too cold, it was only eighteen degrees so in all honesty, I should have been fine in just a sweatshirt, let alone my Carhartt coat. I guess I was just too used to the desert heat, I'd adjust soon enough.

"Why didn't you say you were coming home a day early?" She asked before I had a chance to say anything.

"I got in at like one, I'd been traveling for two days. Can you blame me for wanting to sleep a little?"

"No, I can't."

"Then why are you mad at me?" I asked, my confusion evident.

"I'm not mad at you. You didn't do anything wrong," she hurriedly explained. "Did you think I was?" She added with a hurt expression.

"Kyle and mom said you both looked pissed off and I needed to go talk to you," I shrugged. Lighting my cigarette. I really needed to quit these things. Leave them behind like I'd be doing with the Army.

"Both are correct, but I'm not pissed at you," she confirmed. "It's my fucking sister."

"Katie? What did she do?" I asked, my mind already racing.

"Nothing yet," Allison said. "It's what she's thinking about doing."

I sensed she wanted to take a second to collect herself, figure out how she wanted to say it, so I didn't say anything back. I took a long drag on my Marlboro and turned to face her while leaning on the rail. Luckily for me, my Michigan roots already seemed to be coming back to me as the cold was wearing off and being replaced with the familiar slightly chilly feeling we're so used to up here.

"Connor asked her out last week..." she began, "she said no." She quickly clarified when she saw my face.

"Ok?" I asked, still confused.

"She told me yesterday she's might consider it now." She said with an apologetic look.

"Well fuck..." I said, not knowing what else to say.

"This doesn't change anything," she urged.

"How does it not?"

"It just moves the timetable up," she grinned, clearly working something in her head.

"I guess it does..."

I finished my smoke and dropped it in the coffee can, then turned to open the door for Allison to head back inside. I figured if I was going to come up with a plan, I needed her input, so I asked if she had some time to talk, she said she did, so I suggested we take a drive and figure it out.

It was two birds with one stone really. I hadn't driven my truck since I left, so this would give me a chance to do that, and it also gave me a chance to talk to Allison without risking anyone else catching wind of what we were talking about.

BlueBran
BlueBran
378 Followers