Old Wounds Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Eh it was alright. I just didn't want to be that far from my grandson," he explained as he put his hand on my shoulder. "Though it was just across town."

"Pops you've got me all sorts of lost here," I chuckled.

"If you'll have it, I want to give you and Katie everything I'm not sectioning off. That way you'll have a perfect place to live and won't be too far away," he said with a knowing grin on his face.

"I, uh, Pops," I stammered, not entirely sure what to say.

"Don't think about it son. We both know I've got more money than I know what to do with. Hell everything I got will go to you and Kyle when I go anyhow since I got nobody else. You's need the place, and I need to downsize. It was gonna be yours anyways, so it all works out."

"I, I don't even know what to say right now," I said overcome with emotion.

"You ain't gotta say anything other than yes Matt," he laughed. "My place'll be done in about a month, and I've already got movers lined up to move everything I want over, and anything else you's can either keep or burn. I'm taking anything with sentimental value so fuck the rest of it."

"I can't burn your stuff!" I spat, chuckling at the thought of it though.

"Oh you will. There's a lot of worthless junk. I'm keeping anything I'd be sad to see burned, so at least just invite me to the bonfire," he smiled, clapping me on the back as he swung the truck around to take me home.

**

We weren't going to have a big wedding, partly because we didn't want the hassle, but also because we wanted to have it on the island, and the island isn't THAT big.

True to his word, Pops was completely moved out a little over a month later. Also true to his word, he got to watch a lot of his junk burn. Katie and I didn't feel right about burning his stuff, so when he came over one day to find us boxing up the items he'd left behind we didn't want to put them in storage, he just huffed and started dragging things to the front yard, mumbling about stubborn kids and how kickass this fire was going to be.

Katie and I couldn't let him move all that junk, so we finally relented and did it for him. Most of it actually was just junk. Things people would just throw away. So in the end, when everyone was standing around the big fire, beers in hand, we didn't feel too bad either.

Pops also decided, not asked mind you, that he was going to pay for the wedding, so on the twenty-eighth of June, everyone was loading up onto a boat he chartered to head out to the island that he had set up with tables, chairs, an alter, and some food and drink, even though he was throwing a huge bbq style reception at his, well our, house.

I couldn't tell you if it was sunny or cloudy, rainy or snowy, or if everyone on that beach was an alien, because all I can remember is my heart beating a mile a minute as my best friend, the love of my life, the most beautiful woman I'd ever met was walked down the aisle by her father. All I can remember is the smile on her face as she looked at me with unabashed, unbridled love while she made her way to me.

Her father gave her a hug then pulled me into one as well, whispering into my ear as he did so.

"She's all yours now son. Just do what she says and you'll live a long happy life," he said with a slight chuckle before finishing with a tear in his eye and a catch in his voice. "I love you Matt. There's nobody I'd rather give her away to. Take care of my little girl."

"Thank you sir," I said, slightly choked up. "I'll take care of her. I'll keep her safe no matter what the cost. I love her so much."

I barely remember what the officiant said. I don't even remember saying my own vows. The words just fell from my mouth, sent straight from my heart as I told her everything she meant to me.

The reception was absolutely perfect. Family and friends all gathered around a large bonfire in our big yard, open bar, amazing food, and of course, a few games of euchre as the night went on.

I don't think Katie was ever further than ten feet from me the entire night, and if I could count on that for the rest of my life, I'd be one happy man.

I was broken, literally and mentally. I was wounded, both inside and out. I didn't know what to do with my life. I was alone, thinking I'd never find the right woman for me, but as it turns out, she was right in front of me the whole time.

There are a lot of things in life I love. My family, my friends, a good truck, or an ice cold beer, but there's nothing in life that could compare to how much I love that woman.

You can get knocked down. You can get beat up. You can be up Shit's Creek without a paddle. There's a lot in life that can go wrong, but remember, when old wounds heal, new love can be formed.

****

~Epilogue~

"Hey babe?" I called out.

"Yea hun what's up?" She answered from the other room.

"Have you seen Phil's baseball pants?"

"They're in the dryer!" She yelled, "I had to run them again since they were so stained."

Before I could answer I heard her scurrying into the laundry room, opening the dryer door she checked the pants and was seemingly satisfied with the dryness of the uniform. Walking into our son's room she handed them to me and I folded them, putting them in the bag I was packing.

Our son, Phillip, or Phil for short, was obviously named after Pops. It just felt like the only right name for him when he was born. Currently we were packing for a week long trip down to Kentucky as Phil's travel team was playing in a big tournament down there for the week. I remembered playing in it as a kid, so obviously we jumped at the chance to get his team down there too.

It wasn't just us going though. My mom and dad, Katie's mom and dad, and of course Pops were going as well, deciding they couldn't let their collective grandson go play in such a big tournament without being there to support him.

Phillip, Jason, Tommy, Sarah, and Allison, our five children, were completely spoiled rotten by their five grandparents (obviously Pops had to be included). Katie and I always joked that we had one kid for each grandparent.

We'd only planned on having two, but a few years after Jason was born, Katie decided she wanted another one, so therefore we had Tommy. Wanting a girl, Katie decided we try again a few years after that, and we were blessed with Sarah. Five years after Sarah was born, we had Allison. Like Kyle, Allison wasn't exactly planned, but that didn't mean she was loved any less. She had me wrapped around her little finger and she wasn't even a year old yet.

So five kids. Phillip was thirteen, Jason was eleven, Tommy was nine, Sarah was five and Allison was seven months old. I think I had to have been the luckiest guy on this planet.

There were also more kids running around as between Kyle and Allison, Katie and I were made Aunts and Uncles four times over, though neither are sure they're done yet. There are definitely some happy grandparents on our street.

Through all of the years, through every day, every hour, every minute, and every second, my love for Katie has only grown. The rest of my life was looking good. I was a busy man, that's for sure, but I wouldn't trade any of it for anything.

"C'mon Daddy let's goooooo!" Sarah cried while tugging at my pant leg. Try finding another five year old who loved car rides as much as Sarah did.

"We're almost ready sweetheart," I cooed back to her, gently tousling her hair as she ran off to go pester her mom.

We had all five kids strapped into their seats when Katie gripped my hand and laid her head on my shoulder.

"Look what we've done," she said as she gazed lovingly at our children.

"I love you so much," I said as I kissed her head.

"I love you too."

***********************

Thank you guys so much for sticking with me through this journey. As always, feedback and comments are always welcome!

Stay tuned to see what I can come up with next! I'll do my best to not keep you guys waiting so long in between stories from now on. Let me know what you'd like to see next. You's are the best!