Once Dead Twice Bound Ch. 03

Story Info
Jack's emotions overflow and a dragon is dueled.
10.7k words
4.75
24.8k
17

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 06/26/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
capn_doggy
capn_doggy
1,048 Followers

Spoiler Tags: Monstergirl, Transformation, Shapeshifter, Harem, Kitsune, Orc, Vampire, Adventure, Straight Sex, MF

*

What the fuck is going on?

I waited a good thirty seconds after the passionate red-dragon left before asking Diana just that question. "What just the f-... What just happened?" I inquired tactfully, remembering her station at the last minute.

"An opportunity I've been dreaming of for a while."

"While intriguing, that tells me almost nothing," I groused, my patience fading as I felt played.

Of course she uses me for nebulous ends, she's nobility. Why did I even begin to think she was anything like me?

She noticed my frustration and the joy became muted. "That fellow was Vincent Redclaw, and he, and his parents, believe that a joining of our houses would be in the best interest for the few remaining dragons. As such, he has recklessly pursued my hand for more decades than years you possess. He is an unmitigated cad, and thinks my refusals are merely attempts to play hard to get." A toothy grin stretched her face. "You've given me a chance to use you as a vessel to speak a language he understands."

"You still haven't said what you just got me to agree to. Goddamn it." I shook my head and rose to leave, angry at both her and myself. "Why do I keep letting you people drag me around like this?" I asked, disgusted by my spinelessness. I tossed my napkin onto the table and got ready to leave. "Last week I was just a college student wondering if I would ever get a girlfriend and worrying over a statics exam. Now I'm getting played by royalty and agreeing to what sounds like a deathmatch."

Her tail snapped out and caught me by my wrist as she rose to her feet. "Jack, no. It isn't what you think."

I flicked my arm and broke her hold on me. "I don't know what to think; that's the problem. You won't tell me!"

The guards outside the door responded to my raised voice, poking their heads through to peer inside the room. Diana waved them away.

Her now free tail slipped over around my stomach. The winding untucked my shirt as she winched me right up to her. I didn't resist. Her scales were soft and cool against my skin. Darkness descended around us as she made a cove around us with her wings. Her hands squeezed my shoulders and helped pull me close.

"I am sorry, Jack. That was callous and thoughtless of me. Please forgive me. I implore you."

I was not so far away from my nights of sadness and wishing for someone to hold me like this that I was not unaffected by her plea. Plus I was curious.

I let go of a portion of the tension I was holding in my biceps and upper back.

"It's a duel. But he had made a mistake. As the challenged, you're allowed to promote a champion to fight in your place."

"But, wouldn't he know this and plan accordingly."

Diana snorted. "You'd think so, right? But it probably never occurred to him that you would think to utilize a champion and give up the honor of facing him yourself. He's arrogant, and speciesist. Enough to think that you as a 'mere' human couldn't possibly challenge him."

"Wait a second... Go back. I don't have to face him?"

"No, by the rules as agreed upon by the council as it pertains to dueling, as the challenged party, you have the right to elect a stand in, a champion to fight for your cause."

A number of potential people to fight on my behalf came immediately to mind.

Tara with her terrifying spirit-fire. Opal with her healing. Hell, even Olivia with her quickness and frightening fangs.

"... I don't feel right asking someone to fight for something that I stupidly agreed to," I argued hesitantly.

She laughed, the sound draining some of the tension out of both of our bodies. "That won't be a problem, when you get back to your room tell the girls what happened and see how you respond."

My attitude was softening as we continued to speak. The talk along with the increasingly comfortable warmth I felt at having someone embrace me was doing double duty but I wasn't quite ready to completely give in.

"I'm not going to let you use my loneliness to forgive you," I groused.

She chuckled and began to gently rock us. A small stream of smoke issued from her mouth to soak into my hair and drip down my body.

"What was that?"

"Oh. Sorry. It's a dragon thing. It's what we use to comfort one another," she admitted. Her voice was colored by surprise, as if she hadn't expected to do it.

"It wasn't unpleasant," I admitted gently. "But this is a little too familiar for someone I just met a couple days ago."

Diana complied, releasing me without complaint. I was a little sad to see her beautiful swaths of wings get tucked away at her back. She noticed, storing that tidbit away for later. The beautiful dragon waited patiently for me to unload whatever I needed to get off my chest.

I scrutinized her, but she gave nothing away but for the occasional twitch of her tail; something I couldn't help but suspect was a calculated motion. "I'm sorry, Diana. You seem nice enough, and you supposedly saved my life, which I am grateful for, but I just..." I rubbed my hand through my hair frustratedly. "I have no reason to trust you. You roped me into something you had to know I didn't understand for your own benefit. It's my fault for not standing up to you and following along blindly, so I have to deal with those consequences but it was you who put me in this position."

She seemed saddened by my assertions and opened her mouth to debate them.

I held up my finger. It was a major point in her favor that she didn't press the issue, her lips sealing to allow me to continue. "But it feels foolish of me to continue discussing this with you when I can consult other people whom I do trust."

I could see her struggle to remain agreeable, the nostrils of her dainty nose flaring more than a few times before she spoke. "I cannot fault you for your reasoning, although it pains me to do so. Just understand that I am here if you wish to talk more about this side of the veil. I also offer my services to help you understand and gain control of your budding abilities as a mage, whenever you wish to explore that side of you. Jack-... Mr. Reynolds, I do hope that I haven't bruised our budding relationship too badly."

Her offers and pleas seemed genuine and almost swayed me into staying and talking about the duel as she obviously wished too.

"Thanks for the dinner, Diana. It was lovely." I offered her a brittle smile as I made to leave. "As for the last bit, all I can say is that it almost certainly depends on the outcome of the duel and the lasting consequences that come from participating."

Leaving her, my cheeks itched as little pebbles of lilac scales sprouted across my cheeks like a charming trail of freckles.

The moment I entered our room, Tara and Opal knew something was wrong. My bond-mate's tail bristled behind her into a bushy mess. Opal's muscles rippled instinctively, her biceps and neck rolling and swelling with barely restrained strength. Tara swirled around me like a little tornado, examining me from every angle.

"What happened? Why do you smell of disappointment and fear?" She tugged at our bond. "And anger? I'm going to go give that meddlesome sulfur-huffing hag a piece of my mind," she only halfway-joked.

As amusing as the colorful name-calling was, it didn't feel right in the moment.

Now is not the time for forced levity.

"Following Diana's lead, I have accepted a duel from what I'm told is a dragon by the name of Vincent Redclaw."

Tara and Opal both stiffened at the words.

"He wouldn't-" Tara started.

Opal shook her head, following along where I was totally lost behind. "He would if he didn't know who Jack was. Not surprising, considering the recency of his enlightenment. But who doesn't do research into known associates before issuing a challenge?"

"I don't know him personally, but from what I've heard, it tracks. He prides himself on knowing the 'who's who.' He probably thought if Jack wasn't already on his radar then he must be inconsequential."

Both of their eyes narrowed as they were struck by the same realization. They slowly turned their heads to look my way before huddingly together. They quietly murmured to themselves, isolating me from their discussion. Their talk grew heated, Opals voice dropping into a rumbling growl even as she bowed her head respectfully. Doubt and anxiety pecked vigorously at my brain.

I knew I screwed up. He's a dragon for fucks sake. Diana lied. They're probably discussing uprooting their lives and running away with me. This is why people shouldn't hang around me, I invariably fuck something up and make their lives harder. I should-

Before I could travel any further down the self-destructive highway of negativity I found myself the center of a warm and squishy sandwich.

Fox to the left of me, Orc to the right, stuck in the middle...

I shook my head free of the song, ducking out of the two women's embrace. They were having no part of that. Moving in sync, they pulled me right back into a three way hug.

"What's this about?" I groused, secretly loving the affection and attention.

"We are not about to let you suffer such thoughts alone. While we may not be able to erase such anxieties, we can show proof that we care about you, and maybe that helps."

"... It does," I admitted softly.

"Do you wish to talk about it?"

My pride wanted to tell her I was fine but I knew that was callous and unconstructive."I just feel like such a kid at times."

"You are young. And you've been thrust into such an alien world with different rules and customs. It's only natural that you would need a period of adjustment." She hugged me tighter, her soft tail joining in on the action."

"But I-"

Tara bowled right over, not giving me space to talk. "Need to give yourself time. You'll get there. I mean, if we stop screwing up in a rush to protect you and start explaining things to you instead of trying to protect you."

My heart fell. "So you were talking about leaving everything behind for me? You shouldn't have-"

Her laughter and Opal's chuckle cut me off. "Is that what you think? I'm not really much of a runner and Opal even less so. No, Lover. We were arguing over which one of us gets to go and put that pompous prick in his place. Speaking of which-"

"My queen, please give me a chance to redeem myself after I failed to protect Master from the lich," Opal pleaded with a smooth growl.

Tara peered at Opal around my shoulder, talking to each other again, but this time allowing me to be involved in the conversation. "And I want the chance to hurt someone who wishes to hurt my beloved. I might or might not have some feelings to vent after the events involving the lich as well." The exposed fangs and bristling tail told everyone which side of that particular fence she landed on.

The way they talked about Olivia didn't sit quite right with me. "Her name's Olivia," I said weakly before realizing I had more relevant problems to address. "But... You could get hurt. Why would you do this for me?" I asked.

Tara understood me better than I did, and knew just how to cut to the core of the issue. "Because the care you show us is mutual. Even with your natural abhorrence to violence, what would you do if that lecherous guard managed to corner me and slip a hand under my shirt.

It took me a handful of heartbeats considering such a situation before my mouth opened in a snarl, baring my too-sharp incisors. My hand curled around the haft of my spear that flowed like mercury from my wrist, stretching out into the dangerous weapon. I radiated a pulsing cloud of violence for a long moment, my jaw itching to bite before I realized how ridiculous I was acting.

Tara smiled at my aggressive possessiveness. Her fingers covered my hand that had latched onto the side of her buttocks, latching her to my side in an iron grip.

Opal's response was less tame, letting out a purring moan as a glittering shaft of silver pressed up between her breasts.

Tara continued on, her tone amused, "And unless you intend on tormenting our lovely warrior, you should probably put that away." She tilted her brows at the spear tip that had once housed her old friend and companion through the years of my absence.

Her reaction made no sense to me. Eyes dilated, they remained locked onto the spear tip as it delicately drifted through the air.

"Not that I'm opposed to a little fun. I just don't share her racial fixation on artifacts of power."

The events finally registered and I banished the spear with a quick burst of focus. Opal shook her head and let out a disappointed sigh that bordered on plaintive. Her muscles rolled as she worked through her frustration, flexing them in isolated bursts with control I found entrancing. Despite my enjoyment of their closeness, the combined heat of our bodies was beginning to prove too much. I patted at their arms and they got the hint. We seperated and I sat down at the edge of the bed. They joined me, our shoulders pressing together as they lined up on either side, me as the central domino.

Her argument felt wrong and I tried to vocalize that. "But this thing I have with that guard is different. That's me being a jealous asshole and confronting an even bigger asshole who thinks it's okay to molest someone with their eyes. Diana is using us to handle a problem that could be settled with words."

"Jealousy doesn't make you an asshole, as long as it doesn't go too far I find it rather flattering," Tara admitted. Her tail swished behind her in a satisfied motion. Opal agreed, nodding her head.

"But you're risking serious injury and death," I argued. "You're talking about combat."

"Can you tell me the odds that you get hurt each time you get into a motor vehicle?"

"... No. But I'm a cautious driver and-"

"I believe the odds of someone getting permanently hurt and/or dying in a sanctioned duel is similar to that of a motor vehicle rider."

"But it's not the same. They're different," I said, working through how to articulate that difference.

"Both are calculated risks." A foxy smile tugged her lips into a pursed line. "Tell you what: if you promise me not to ride in a motor vehicle, I promise to stay out of any duels. Sound good?"

"But, one is a modern day convenience and the other is something to soothe pricked egos. Don't you think-"

"While technically correct, the colosseum is also an important outlet for certain species with fierce combative instincts. Like our green girl here."

Opal confirmed Tara's assertion with a nod and a feral grin.

"You have a bad habit of speaking over people, don't you?" I questioned, only a little annoyed both by the action and her logic that I couldn't seem to defeat.

And am starting to believe I shouldn't even be trying to be. What if they're right and they have this in hand? What if we can actually help out Diana after she fucking saved my life? Maybe I should trust that these women I love who've existed in this society might know better than me.

"I do. But you don't mind so much. You find it a little endearing and intoxicating that I'm confident enough to take charge."

She had me there. "... I'm not going to dignify that with a response."

Opal decided now would be a good time to chime in. "Which is how we know she's right."

"Hush you. I don't want to hear it from someone who gets wet at a solid rod of steel."

"I resemble that remark. In fact, if you want to leave me the spear, I'll be happy to give you two a little alone time."

I shook my head, my earlier fear almost completely banished. "So weird, it's a wonder I even hang out with you two."

Tara smooshed her cheek against mine and rubbed it around, the sensation beyond strange. "You cannot fool us." A gentle tug came through our emotional bond, a surge of bubbling love coming along with it. "Our weirdness matches each other like chocolate and pretzels. Until you try it, you might not understand how good the combination is."

"Fine. Fine. Enough." I pulled my head away but didn't move away from them, fiddling with my hands between my legs. Tara set her hands on my back and gently rubbed. Opal patted at my knee before resting her hand there. "Okay."

"Okay?" Tara asked, her ears perking up.

As if she doesn't know what I'm saying? She just wants me to admit she was right. Fine.

"I trust you to handle the duel for me." I shook my head, exasperated. "I can't believe that Diana was right."

"Did she call that we would argue over who gets to head into the arena?"

"Not in so many words but it is clearly what she implied."

"Which brings us back to our conversation." Tara gestured to Opal. "I have sovereignty, so I get to decide."

The orc's shoulders drooped and she bowed her head. "Yes, Queen."

"Hey. That's not fair. I am the one that agreed to this stupid thing, so I should be the one to choose who gets to champion for me. At least, I think that's what Diana called it."

Tara scowled. "That is correct. So who do you want to fight on your behalf?"

I mulled it over for a couple of tense moments.

Opal? Tara? Or should I ask Diana if she would do it? I probably wouldn't care as much if she got hurt... That's it!

"I have two simple questions to ask the two of you, and I want you to be honest with me." I met both of their eyes and they nodded their acquiescence. "One: You are both confident in your ability to win?"

Tara snorted and rolled her eyes while Opal looked almost offended by the question.

"Fair enough. Two: Which of you is more likely to win without getting hurt?"

Opal's lips curled upward around her lips in triumph.

Tara held up a finger in protest. "Now wait a minute, I think we should-"

"Opal get's to be my champion," I interjected. "It's settled."

Tara wrinkled her nose in frustration. "Phooey. One of these days, Jack, you are going to let me defend you the way I should've done all those years ago."

I swallowed as I felt the echo of pain she experienced run through our bond. "You're not mad? Are you?"

She ruffled my hair and teased my arm with the fluffy tip of her tail. "Heavens no. If I wasn't so emotionally invested, I would tell you that you made the right choice. Also this way allows me to cheer our lovely emerald gem here from the stands and watch her work."

Opal's jade skin darkened at the praise and her knees rubbed together with bashful excited energy.

"Oh good." Relief surged through me.

"Gosh, you are just so adorable," Tara cried, throwing herself atop me and peppering my face with playfull kisses until all three of us dissolved into a fit of giggles. My lovely amorous kitsune bounced her eyebrows suggestively.

I kissed her nose and shook my head. Despite their assurances, my gut still coiled tight at the thought of one of them facing a literal dragon in the arena. Tara didn't look outwardly disappointed, nodding her acceptance. She gracefully rolled off to lay beside me. Opal joined me on the other side, keeping up their theme of the evening by bracketing me with their bodies.

"Tell me it's going to be okay, please?" I asked, my voice cracking with vulnerability.

"Everything will be just fine, Lover. Just relax and get some sleep. You'll see how formidable our girl is tomorrow." After that, Tara crooned a gentle lullaby to me. I couldn't understand the words, but the lilting noise somewhere between a purr and a whisper helped calm me. Together with the dual streams of love coming towards me from the bonds allowed me to finally unclench and find some sleep.

When I awoke, it was only Tara and I in the bed.

capn_doggy
capn_doggy
1,048 Followers