All Comments on 'One Night in Baton Rouge'

by yukonnights

Sort by:
  • 11 Comments
BuzzCzarBuzzCzarabout 5 years ago
Driver

Maybe that driver's name should have been Fred to honor Fred Foster the co-writer of the song with Kris. Thanks for the memories this dredged up. I didn't make either of the two shows in Baton Rouge. Some friends drove to LA from SC but I had just come home from my last tour in VN in late June of '68 and was still trying to get decompressed, I guess. A crowd was not where I could be at the time. Enjoyed the story immensely. Thanks.

goducks1goducks1about 5 years ago
5 stars

clever, well written story. loved Bobby. and i remember the opening and lyrics of the song, but i can't remember the ending. lucky me - i like the idea of imagining them going thru life together. although i'm sure since it was a janis joplin song, that didn't happen!!!

yukonnightsyukonnightsabout 5 years agoAuthor
Thank you

Just wanted to say thank you for the positive comments. I also wanted to mention that it was Kris Kristopherson and Fred Foster that wrote the song. Thus, in the original song it was Bobby that was the woman. Of course, Janis was the one who turned it into a hit. On a sad note, Kris Kristopherson heard Janis' rendition the day after her untimely death. I was worried that the song might be too obscure for readers to connect with the story, I'm pleased to see at least some will remember it - Thanks again for the comments!

gordo12gordo12about 5 years ago
Beautiful

Took me back to those days.... 5*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

Beautiful story, with the warm and comfortable 'yukonnights' atmosphere. It's a real pleasure to read, and no matter how this song ends, I can imagine they'll always think back to this night with feelings of love and happiness. I'm happy you took up the challenge and submitted this contribution. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
I love it!

Yes, I’m old enough to appreciate the song and the setting, but I’m not old enough to have participated those heady days. It’s a great story, well crafted.

Thank you for writing it, and thank you for sharing.

PiscatorPiscatorabout 5 years ago

Well written with lively dialogue and good coverage of the scene form both male and female perspectives. I found that Janis' Nananannanda' was definitely at the back of my mind.

SolarRaySolarRayabout 5 years ago

Enjoyable story. As with the other commenters, I also appreciated the way you wove the song inspiration in and captured the atmosphere of the time. Nice work! Thanks yukonnights!

mcfbridgemcfbridgeabout 4 years ago
Great story

Love the emotions. You really know what they're feeling. Yes I know the song. Kris version better than Janis. Only criticism is some of the more poetic descriptions seem a little out of place with the tone of the story. But that's minor. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great story

Do contest rules prohibit you from writing more stories about this couple? I’d love to read more stories of their journey to SanFransisco.

OmenainenOmenainenalmost 4 years ago
Lovely story

I’d trade all my tomorrows for a single yesterday, to be holding Bobby’s body next to mine.

I would love to read more of their hippy adventures. I really liked this story. If you haven’t written more of them I just have to sample something else of yours, then :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
useryukonnights@yukonnights
a true romantic who believes; that love is more powerful than hate...that kindness is stronger than cruelty...that sex fueled by true love is better than sex fueled by lust alone...that there is good in all people, it's just hard sometimes to find... edit 12-2013) It's been...