All Comments on 'Only You'

by Bh76

Sort by:
  • 203 Comments
oldsage_1oldsage_1over 2 years ago

Nice twist on the Loving Wives genre. I really liked it. Very well executed!

Cheers

SAGE

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 2 years ago

oh nice, flipped me for a flop, flip it lol was a fun read

Bebop3Bebop3over 2 years ago

I enjoyed the story. It was unusual and well told.

SwordWielderSwordWielderover 2 years ago

Very good. She went right up to the cliff edge and turned back, and she's paying the price for doing that.

Cringo31Cringo31over 2 years ago

A very interesting take on the going for a date idea. I think you hit the whole issue though in that she may not have cheated but was overly tempted and now he does not trust her without trust can the marriage last?

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 2 years ago

Sweet story, Mr. 76. Write another, please. Randi.

lujon2019lujon2019over 2 years ago

so he gets to send the rest of his life as a whores warden rather then a husband?

Yea(that was sarcasm)

because even in her prep to confess the slut was still fantasizing about her affair

Also who is dumb enough to agree to sex without any prior physical contact?

Feoalex81Feoalex81over 2 years ago

Trust is the hardest thing to give back to someone that breaks it.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66over 2 years ago

I enjoyed the unexpected turn of events. Well done. 5 stars.

mac1729mac1729over 2 years ago

The broken plate says everything, it will never be the same

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

If things were good, why'd she break his trust?

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 2 years ago

Interesting story!

5

PowersworderPowersworderover 2 years ago

Interesting twist on the "we need to talk" cliche.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Why did she have to tell him? Just to hurt him? She knew what she was going to do, actually did and the probable consequences. Heartless!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Nice twist. Well done.

TwentysevenTwentysevenover 2 years ago

You should not have told him. But then there'd be no story, would there?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Liked it, short story. But also refreshing to read a wife meeting temptation but showing the strength to keep her wits and snap out of it to resist.

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 2 years ago

Telling him was the right thing to do. Dressing up like you would for the date and seducing him might create more doubt and question as to whether the cheating already occurred. Still, it's believable and way more likely than February Sucks and all 2,000 variations.

lover1953lover1953over 2 years ago

Good story. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Yes you suprised me. Very creative and well presented. Maybe the personalities needed a bit more depth, but in all I'm very pleased. Thank you for a nice read tho it was quick.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 2 years ago

That was a nice twist to this plot.

Entertaining.

Slick742Slick742over 2 years ago

Nice twist to the old wife has a date story. Love the ending the way it is written. Thanks!

MigbirdMigbirdover 2 years ago

Unoriginal storyline with stereotypical characters and dialogue. Maybe intended to be some sort of parody but brevity undermined that possibility.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Funny...As in peculiar.

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 2 years ago

Phony drivel, yet another story without a plot and a waste of a page.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 2 years ago

While it obviously shouldn't have gone as far as it did, she DIDN'T go out with Simon, told Joe everything, even outed Simon to his wife, I think Joe should let it go.

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 2 years ago

Interesting way of dealing with the "honey, we have to talk" trope.

And for anyone who says "this never happens in real life!" You need to understand that means it never happened in YOUR life. Other people? Sometimes it does happen.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Very good. IMHO it was a coin flip to tell him or not that she went to the cliff edge, but stepped back. Pros and cons. In the end, she probably needed to fess up as part of a way to insure that she didn’t approach that cliff again.

.

About as good of a flash story as it gets. Very strong 4 ****

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

If that’s all it took to break his trust, then he’s not a man. If he had to hurt you during sex to tell better about himself, then he’s not a man. If he has to follow you and check your phone, then he’s not a man and it’s not love: it’s fear.

The ending should have been with her divorcing Joe. Otherwise, she’s just an abused wife, gaslighted into believing she deserves to be treated like shit.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Nice story, honest and decent. Good outcome that rings true.

lbeachamlbeachamover 2 years ago

Burn the bitch. Life is to short to be suspicious all the time.

GarySmith69GarySmith69over 2 years ago

The wife should have never accepted the invitation from "Simon". Confessing on the day of the date does sound a bit odd. Tgd writer says she will never cheat if that is so then good luck to these hopefully fictional characters.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Surprising and well done. What a refreshing change from the norm in this genre, and it is especially refreshing that you wrote a wife who had moral agency.5

someoneothersomeoneotherover 2 years ago

Joe proves that neither honesty nor redemption has any value. Don't like the guy, and wondering if wife could not do better. Good original short story, but I would have preferred a different outcome.

FireFox59FireFox59over 2 years ago

Once lost trust is an extremely hard thing totally get back. Even though she didn't follow through with her plan and confessed his total trust in her is lost and probably will never be the same. Good story.

laptopwriterlaptopwriterover 2 years ago

This one got 5 big stars from me. I thought it was going to be a role play story at first, but it was better. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

In weapons tactics we say A miss is as good as a mile’…so I guess this was a miss…and she did confess! She has used her one chance and any further slips will be en finito!

Mac_LapuMac_Lapuover 2 years ago

Whew, the wife dodge a bullet there.

But she had to accept, it takes a lot of time for trust to be earned again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Sounds like everyone who ever been married. There is always someone trying to get between them. Some give in some don't.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

You should have kept quiet and got a good screwing. What a fool!

HikingThruHikingThruover 2 years ago

Nice twist on the standard trope. As to the tell/not tell question, this story exposes the risk of confessing the near-miss, because you cannot control the other person's reaction. This reaction was feasible, but his doubts could've been far worse and marriage-ending. As written, saying nothing, while doubling down on being a loving wife, seems the wiser play.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well written wifey is a borderline slut. She deserves the same treatment. Go out on her a few times. Make sure she experiences that feeling of betrayal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Excellent! 5 for sure. Succinct and insightful. Somehow Bh76 walked around a lot of LW cliches, and came out of it with something original. Really can't argue with anything here, and the less than happy (though reassuring) ending is realistic and in perfect pitch.

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinionover 2 years ago

BH76 I liked your story, and I would have rated it higher if the ending would have been just a little bit different. I think that couples that have been together for 20 years or longer would know each other better. If I was Joe and I had felt things were off, strained or however you want to describe it, I would have seen it coming and made a plan to deal with it when it happened. It would have been perfect if after her confession he would have pulled out a petition for divorce and showed her that was what she would have come home to, if she went through with her date night. I agree that it would take a lot of work to put the plate back together and it will never be as strong as before and the cracks will always be a blemish on the beauty of the plate, but if she had gone through with it no glue could have put it back together. Maybe the next story you write you can keep that in mind and give hubby a little more brain power, more insight, to have a back-up plain in place. Thanks for your stories and I will be following you in the future.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 2 years ago

Painful at first, but a good ending. We are allowed to be stupid so long as we come to our senses before we do any harm. She's a good wife, momentarily foolish, and a keeper. Good story.

WargamerWargamerover 2 years ago

Okay, but could’ve been better, way better.

3/5

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

rings very true about that later trust issues. Only issue with what was written was in the way she told him. All dressed like that and she goes for the forgive me speech and lets use the other guys reservation! If I were him I would not have taken her out or let the blow job take place. I would be sooo upset that would not be on my mind at all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

She's showed that she's untrustworthy. Who wants to live their life constantly wondering? Stress eats at a man's soul. We have only her words that she'll not fall. Actions speak louder than words.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It's nice to know she could wake up and smell the coffee... TANSTAAFL

KRD19254KRD19254over 2 years ago

Ok, it was a miss-direction story. But it missed critical data points - how many years were they married and any kids or parents or siblings?

/

She could not have delivery this issue to Joe in any worse way. She should have told him THEY were going out on a date; "I have a confession that needs your defined penance upon me." "I pulled my head out of my ass - I truly love you and hope you will too." Her method and timing put him into pure dread, needlessly and made her emotional crime all that much more severe. One dumb chick, like she wanted him to kick her out.

/

3*, hooyah

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyover 2 years ago

It wasn’t that she told him. It was in the way she told him… it was cruel. Thanks

ibbunkibbunkover 2 years ago

I appreciate the angle taken with the story, but it raises our ire and provides no relief.

Regguy69Regguy69over 2 years ago

Good read. I agree with some others, her approach was cruel, but it was part of the misdirection, so ok. Bottom line, she showed she could be tempted to the point of actually saying yes to the asshole. She did come to her senses soon enough to avoid anything physical, but just barely. I liked that she burned the asshole, but why would Joe want to take out for the romantic evening that Simon had arranged? Seems every minute would be a reminder that she had agreed to be with someone else for the evening. Can’t blame him for not trusting her- he shouldn’t. Maybe long term it will work out. The reconciliation is warranted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

For all we know, she only changed her mind when she saw how her announcement was affecting him. She's just proven herself to be the type of person who can rationalize cheating - and the pain it will cause her "man" - by thinking, "meh, he'll get over it eventually." Why would you want to remain tied to that person?

.

Our actions prove or deny the truth in our words. Her actions (plotting to have an affair with another man, regardless of how painful it'll be to her husband) speak of something other than "love".

.

IBBUNK is correct: your story made us angry and then left us there. If you want us to "like" the wife again, you have to redeem her in the eyes of your readers. She's so happy and carefree throughout the telling of this story, that it makes her reason for not carrying through with the sex, just as capricious as her decision to start the affair.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Anonymous,

You're thinking of Robert Anson Heinlein's famous TINSTAAFL.

Texican1830Texican1830over 2 years ago

Almost all married women are tempted, some often and severely; same with their men. Many succumb, but some start down the path before seeing the signs and retreating. I'm positive being tempted isn't fatal to a marriage, and I don't see why being led a ways down the primrose path before realizing the folly should be fatal either, if you learn a lesson. Her reveal, however, was bound to cause pain; bad move.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Smart lady. Men don't usually have the same number of opportunities to cheat like women, but they still get offers. I'v gotten at least a dozen women hint at wanting a piece of me. And I'll be honest, half of them didn't seem deterred when I mentioned being taken.

She was honest with herself, but she still has serious character flaws. Even now she's thinking about the man she emotionally cheated with. There is nothing 'innocent' about little lunches and secret conversations. That's how it starts. She rightly weighed the pros and cons, and realized the fault lies with her. She even came clean, and that's a hard thing to do. She did hurt him though in her honesty. It did nothing for him, it was purely for her. The guilt SHOULD eat at her. She was brave and selfish at the same time.

I personally think she passes. But that's just me. I think true remorse and thought went into her overall approach. The delivery was mainly for her though.

Anyone that forgives a truly remorseful cheater (even if just emotional) is a not a weakling. It takes a lot of inner strength to put up with that level of bullshit. Sometimes it's because the other spouse believes they can't do better, but sometimes it's just love. Love and a fuck ton of effort....on the victim. Forget about the cheater, it takes a lot of effort to put up with someone that would betray you.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerover 2 years ago

Nice twist to an old plot. 4 stars from me. Thanks for taking time to write--something I can't seem to get around to lately.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 2 years ago

Well written story, plays with our emotions.

She chose badly with Simon, then doubled down when she chose how to tell Joe.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcover 2 years ago

Interesting complexities during in the story - Did she tell her husband because she wanted to feel the pain of what she almost did and/or alert her husband of her susceptibility to cheat. Doing so would trigger his increased vigilance the rest of their marriage, reducing the likelihood she'd ever do it. Interesting analogy with the broken plate; true analogy as well. 5*

iameaseliameaselover 2 years ago

It was a little too quickly run through. Nice twist though, its always appreciated when someone puts in more effort than cut and paste from 5 different stories to write their own.

And regardless of the teeth gnashing, most husbands would do exactly as you wrote this one.

Thanks for a decent story that could have been even better.

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

You had me expecting the old template “honey, we need to talk” stories, but you changed it up in an interesting way. I liked that she confessed her plan, and apologized after blowing up Simon’s happy marriage. I also enjoyed Joe’s realistic reaction to her revelation about her planned cheating. She might have been forgiven, but would never again be completely trusted. Great story!

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostraover 2 years ago

Life goes on.... Hemingway said that like a broken bone, we heal back stronger in the broken places. With this couple, it will get better every day. Humans are resilient. The 'reveal' was a bit harsh because it was written for the reader. In real life, I'm sure she'd have been a lot kinder, more hands-on with him. 5/5!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

sure you will whore

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

So would she walk into a bank and tell the manager that she had spent the week planning to rob the bank, but then decided not to, but still felt like she should confess her unexecuted plan? I obviously do not get or appreciate the point of this story. I suspect it was not written to tell a story, but rather to spoof the readers. Like some kind of practical joke? I hope someone enjoyed it. I think its dumb. But thanks for the effort.

BSreaderBSreaderover 2 years ago
An interesting

Read just not the way it should have been, she lost his trust and showed him no respect being the prick other guy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

It's been a long time since I've seen a new take on the, "wife goes on a date" trope. For that alone I give it 5 stars.

DanDraperDanDraperover 2 years ago

I'm glad she told him. Sure it threw a monkey wrench in their marriage, but at least she stopped herself from actually doing anything that would've destroyed her marriage. I think a lot of couples have those temptations at some point, it's how you handle it that matters. She recognized what she was about to do and stopped herself. Her husband has every right to be angry with her, but I think in time he would see that at least she didn't do anything with Simon and she did confess to him instead of keeping that a secret from him.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I'm sure there are exceptions, but while a trainer can help you get a flat stomach and an ass that doesn't sag, but I don't think that 45-year-old large breasts are going to still be pert.

AardieAardieover 2 years ago

It's TANSTAAFL, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

tazz317tazz317over 2 years ago
WHEN THE ANTICIPATION OUT WEIGHS REAL TIME

and reality does not make or fake it, the nitty gritty attempts to reconcile, be careful for the decision. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I agree with another commenter that eventually she may end up leaving her husband as she regains his trust and the sex they have is no longer loving but rough and in a way punishing. Maybe that can be a part 2?

magmamanmagmamanover 2 years ago

I actually like this one, most stories I read on this site I do not. But I remember way back, my 2nd wife, she told me similar except she mentioned "this guy" and how he turned her on.

She said it was "just sex and not any big deal".

I told her to do whatever she wanted, I didn't own her.

She must have called me 50 times when she came back and I was gone.

I never did answer, just sent her the papers.

AngstIgnoredAngstIgnoredover 2 years ago

It's actually TANSTAAFL, not TINSTAAFL.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 2 years ago

She chose well with Simon

But she chose poorly when she planned her confession to Joe. Excellent story, even if you did toy with our emotions.

eightytuneseightytunesover 2 years ago

to magmaman = you won!

kirei8kirei8over 2 years ago

She destroyed a real marraige for a "pretend" one. She's right, it will never mend properly. Regardless of her noble intensions, there will ever be trust in her husband's eyes again. If he ever meets his real soulmate, he will drop her like a slut incarnate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Ha, ha! After Simon starts strangling her, Joe will be the least of her problems. LOL!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A affair waiting to happen! Dump the bitch!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Another case where the guilty party does something to clear their conscious at the cost of the other persons health and welfare. As written, this will be a horrible marriage for as long as it lasts. For a year or maybe longer she will feel that she deserves this treatment as penance but in time she will have had enough. As for the husband, he may get worse or he may just stop punishing or doing anything. They become roommates.

tralan69ertralan69erover 2 years ago

@lujon2019

...."Also who is dumb enough to agree to sex without any prior physical contact?"

It happens everyday. You can't tell me you never had a 1 niter!

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 2 years ago

That was interesting.

I've never seen it done like this before.

It certainly is just as realistic

as if the wife had gone on her date.

And we've seen a lot of those stories.

I like the originality of this story.

But I don't see it fitting inside a flash story.

4 out of 5 from me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

You have WAY too much time on your hands. No life?

servant111servant111over 2 years ago

I love watercolor. What I love most about watercolor is that the most important space on the canvas is the unpainted area That is the white space and there is no white in watercolor. Thus every single inch of a watercolor canvas must be clearly organized cause there are no second chances to get that white space right.

Similarly in writing, what the author does not write or choses to cover in light strokes in a few sentences (ah la Hemmingway) can contribute huge amounts to the theme of the tale. Such is the case with this wonderful little story.

We are presented with a short sketch of a a fundamentally sociopathic self infatuated slut wife in the early stages of her turning. She coldly and premeditatedly arranges to have a little strange on the side then is reminded of what she stands to lose when she sees her husband's picture. She then repents of her upcoming action at the last minute and cancels the PHYSICAL betrayal at the very last minute. She then continues to strut out before her husband in her new slutware and snidely inform him about her imminent night of infidelity. Note she only informs her imminent cuckold husband of her decision to cancel the PHYSICAL betrayal AFTER she has strutted and preened in her new slutwear. Then she goes into fake repentance and plays the submissive slut to her erstwhile cuckold. She is not demonstrating repentantance; this is a cold continuation of an in your face demonstration of utter contempt by the sociopathic wife for her husband and her marriage.

The author has the husband clearly recognizing h er sociopathic contempt in the phrase "I'll forgive you, but you've broken my trust. I'll never forget this." He clearly identifies here that "this" is her cold calculated premeditated betrayal and contempt for him and their marriage. All her actions are for a momentary gratification for a little bit of strange. She is not sorry for her impulses; she is sorry for placing herself, by her impulsive actions in a position of GETTING CAUGHT. What is even more interesting is her actions after that decision not to PHYSICALLY get caught. She simply cannot stop her actions of utter humiliation and contempt. She could have not said a word and hid the whole thing by going out to eat and dance with her husband. Nope...she struts and BRAGS about her partially aborted Physical betrayal TO HIS FACE. Then she blows her erstwhile cuckold in fake repentance; but in fact it is stroking her personal desire for slut submission.

The "negative or blank space" in this work is a fascinating descent into the truths that generated the aborted actions. All marriage must be based on trust, love, honor, and fidelity. The slut wife's is an obvious sociopath. She cares absolutely NOTHING about her husband. Her willing and almost banal betrayal of everything her marriage stands for for a night of in your face sex with Simon a man who makes a few compliments, has a hot bod, and little real contact reveals that she will act out to get a little strange with almost no significant stimulus.

His reaction is obvious Her core is sociopathic. She cannot change that core. The only thing that constrains a true sociopath from acting out on their impulses is fear of punishment. Trust, fidelity, honor, and even love are alien concepts to a sociopath because they simply cannot conceive of anything other than their own selfish desires of the moment. There is no marriage...all that remains is for the husband to fulfill his permanent role as the chief warden of their new prison camp. Thus: It's like putting a broken plate back together. It's fixed but it will never be as strong as it was when unbroken. This in my opinion is the very definition of hell on earth regardless of how much gratuitous sex is provided by his now recognized slut wife. They will divorce...because she will betray him repeatedly once he lets up on the monitoring.. Frankly he should have bitten the bullet and dumped her...cause living in that kind of hell....will convert you into a twisted evil thing....

So great job...loved it for different reasons... I love brevity even though I rarely engage in it myself..(Chuckle) Its the ex writing professor in me...

WillowghbyWillowghbyover 2 years ago
Very Effective Shortie

...and a fresh approach to the "Honey, we need to talk," trope. Thanks, Bh.

Keep 'em comin'.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Dump the slut!

ErotFanErotFanover 2 years ago

Yet another twist on the "date night" LW story.

pummel187pummel187over 2 years ago

WOW!!!! here is a REAL WOMAN.. Owning it is the best start....

And don't say "I'm sorry" Elton John doesn't know shit..

Instead ask to be forgiven... And when you plead your case, tell the person that you have wronged that you don't want there descion right away, no tell them you want them to think about.... If you do this with a sincere and contrite heart, if they truly love you they will forgive you

kirei8kirei8about 2 years ago

On his deathbed with his final breath, he parts a final avenging shot:

" Now you are conscientiosly free to go fuck anyone you desire. "

lbeachamlbeachamabout 2 years ago

Burn the bitch. Don't look back.

lbeachamlbeachamabout 2 years ago

The plan is the "cheat". She can't take that back. Done. He'll never forget. That's not a life or marriage.

JonDoe315JonDoe315about 2 years ago

Only thing missed that I can see was no talks of marriage counseling

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

divorce the nasty whore , you can never trust her again.

lc69hunterlc69hunterabout 2 years ago

Tough decision for her. Did she make the right one by telling him? I am not sure. Maybe some women readers could chime in on that question.

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesabout 2 years ago

Nice short story with a quirky twist. Enjoyed the story, especially her describing herself while getting ready. Thanks for writing.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitabout 2 years ago

He really shouldn’t have gone that night. Everything they did, would be a memory that he was not supposed to have. He should have dropped her at the restaurant entry, and left to park. Then called her from the car with instructions to spend the night at the hotel without him. He needed time to think about next step, she needed to know how badly she screwed up.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBh76@Bh76
2/9/24: Out of the Shadows is finally ready and dropping soon. My long-awaited sequel to Heart is Where the Home Is and Living In the Shadows picks up where Living left off and continues the saga of Mel, Joe, Lainey, Ken, and the rest of the gang. My patreon supporters have al...