Orlando and Rami in Mystohr

Story Info
The continued story of a sell-sword and merchant.
8k words
4.79
3.6k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The town of Mystohr was a grand sight for those unfamiliar with it. A tall wall of dark stone encircled it, only breaking when it got to the sea that dominated the horizon to the west. A small line of carts and people had formed at the large iron gates, being examined one by one for any contraband. The sun had hung in the sky for a solid five hours by the time that Orlando and Rami finally made it to the town, and he was still feeling a little sore after the journey. Thankfully his head was better, and the bandage would be removed in a day or two. He took a deep breath, tasting the salty ocean air as he held onto the reins of his horse. Next to him, Rami chuckled.

"First time at the coast, princeling?" She grinned, rolling her shoulder. The axe on her back had been cleaned off blood, and she stood confident, watching the guards ahead of them.

Orlando blushed and gave a nod, clearing his throat. The journey to this place had changed character halfway through, and he was looking forward to sleeping in an actual bed for once. Even if the activities that he and Rami had indulged in was pleasurable beyond words. "Uhm, yes. I'm just hoping we'll be able to get a good deal on the goods. Wherever I go after this, I'll need money."

Rami raised an eyebrow, turning to look up at him. "Wherever you go? Are you looking to get rid of me?"

Orlando blushed brighter, holding up his hands while still grasping the reins. "No, I didn't mean it like that, I..."

Rami grinned and reached up, slapping his arm. "Only jesting, princeling. You really are too easy to get off-guard."

He couldn't deny that and tried to straighten himself, though his voice held no authority. "Yes, well, we'll see. I'm sure you have other, uhm, clients."

She shrugged, cracking her neck. "While work is good back at the Fiddler, it's not my ideal situation. Besides, if this leads to gainful employment? I wouldn't mind." She smirked. "There's still plenty to teach you, greenhorn."

His face turned red as a tomato at that and he went quiet, head lowered as they got to the guards. When one of them cleared his throat, Orlando raised his head to look at him.

"Anything to declare, Sir? I assume that cart is not filled with air, given how it almost drags on the ground."

The merchant shook his head and fumbled while he reached for the documents inside his coat. Finally finding them, he handed them over to the armoured man. "This is a complete inventory of my goods. You are welcome to examine them, I have nothing to hide."

The two guards looked over the pieces of paper, speaking quietly among themselves. The wait was agonizing for Orlando, who feared he would get rejected.

Rami spoke sharply to him, ignoring the guards. "Confidence. If you appear nervous, they're likely to search the whole thing. And that could take hours."

Orlando stiffened at the comment but gave a small nod, holding onto the reins. "I'm sure that you have many other carts to check today, and I don't intend to leave town before the night falls. Unless you suspect something, everything should be in order, right?"

The guards turned to him, and there was a faint sound of Rami's palm hitting her forehead. "Eager to get into town, are we? You just let us do our job, and we'll see about sending you on your way."

Orlando froze and didn't say anything further, just focusing on breathing. He had to get through, there was no other way. He couldn't...

"Everything seems to be as you claim. Move along, Sir, and welcome to Mystohr."

Orlando had not even noticed the guards moving to flank the cart and looking through some of the goods, cross-referencing with the inventory list. His heart felt like a rock in his chest, and he didn't start breathing normally again until they had passed through the gates.

Rami spoke up beside him, reaching up to pat his arm. "You can relax now. They were just being hard-asses, but you got through. Now, did you have a plan for where to sell all of this?"

Orlando blinked, coming back to reality after his minor panic attack. "Huh? Oh, I... I don't know? I don't really have any contacts, and... figured I'd just head to the square and see if there's a market?"

Rami watched him with a look of disbelief. "Do you want to get robbed? Bringing all of this straight to the market will only result in you losing a quarter of your stock, if you're lucky."

Orlando was getting annoyed, and turned to her. "What do you suggest then? Got a brilliant plan between those muscles of yours?" He caught himself, lowering his head. "I'm sorry, Rami. I... I didn't mean that."

Rami didn't look upset with him, and softened her voice. "No harm done, greenhorn. Now look, I actually have a contact here in town. They don't have the biggest shop, but it's one often frequented by those heading into the wilderness. You know, people with more money than sense, and carrying half a city's arsenal in their bags?"

Orlando gave a small nod. "Yes, luck-seekers. But... do they pay premium?"

"If they know the goods are of good quality? Yes. Trust me, people like that prefer having a steady place to return to for supplies. If you want, I can guide you there. My friend will give you a good price for this, I'm sure of it."

Orlando hesitated for a few moments before giving a nod. "Alright. You lead the way, Rami."

Rami smiled and moved to get a bit further ahead, while still remaining in position to protect him if need be. "Sure thing. It's a bit of a walk, but it's a scenic route."

***

The streets they passed through were quite colourful, banners of different kinds with all sorts of motifs lined up along the walls. Some of them indicated a shop, others a bank, and there was even one or two for locations of less repute, so to speak. All in all, the town appeared very alive to Orlando, and far less stiff than the cities he had left behind. He actually remarked as much while Rami guided him through the cobblestone roads.

Rami chuckled, shrugging her shoulders. "Maybe less stiff compared to what you're used to, but if you think this is a place of loose atmosphere? You haven't seen anything yet. The city truly comes alive at night, and you will damn well know it."

That scared him a little, and he held onto the reins tightly enough that his knuckles went white. He felt entirely out of his element, and he really did not want to make enemies here, not when he was hoping to earn some gold.

Rami suddenly stopped, looking around for a few moments before smiling. "Ah, there it is! She's changed banner since last time." She pointed to a large, two-story building, with a clear store-front and a large banner that hung from the very top of the place. It was mainly red, with a black curved horn that seemed to be pouring out gold coins. He blinked, and... did the coins actually glimmer?

Rami saw his expression and grinned. "Your eyes are not fooling you. All banners here are enchanted to the owner's specifications. More durable than a sign, and you can make it a bit flashier by adding some movement to it." She pointed to the banner itself. "It's quite eye-catching, isn't it? Gold constantly pouring?"

Orlando could not deny that, and gave a nod. "Yes, it... it's quite something. I guess it makes it easy to see where things are, at least if you're high up."

Rami tapped her temple. "Exactly. There's a big hill over to the east, and a balcony on top. From there you can orient yourself quite easily, just by looking for the banners. Few people remain lost here for long."

Orlando was about to respond, but he was interrupted by the voice of a woman.

"Rami! Darling, it's been too long, I thought you had forgotten about me!" Out from the shop stepped a tall red-skinned woman with long ebony hair, a dart-shaped tail swinging behind her, and with curved black horns identical to the one on the banner. She had on a professional outfit made up of a vest and blouse, along with a skirt that went down to her knees. Her cloven hooves made a clacking noise on the cobblestone as she ran over to them and threw her arms around Rami.

Rami laughed and embraced the woman, grinning. "It's only been little more than a year, don't start getting too attached to me. I live a transient existence, you know that."

The tiefling woman let out an exaggerated sigh, and patted the half-orc's back. "Still, a girl can get wistful after such an extended absence." She paused, looking over at Orlando with her intensely golden eyes. "And who's your friend? Won't you introduce me?"

Rami paused and nodded, letting go of the woman. "Right, of course. Orlando, this is Excellence, an old friend of mine, and owner of this shop. Excellence, this is Orlando Rosson, my employer."

Orlando smiled sheepishly, raising a hand. "Hi. Uhm, nice to meet you?"

Excellence strode forward, reaching up to grasp the merchant's hand. "Very nice to meet you too, Orlando. Given you've come here with a fully loaded cart, I assume this is not just a friendly visit?"

Rami shook her head. "Afraid not, Exy. Do you reckon you would be interested in restocking your shop with some goods from the human kingdoms?"

Excellence cocked her head, looking behind Orlando and at the cart itself. She mumbled something under her breath for a few moments before leaning back, smiling with sharp teeth. "I think we can make a deal. Come around the back, I'll open the gate for you." She strode away, moving fairly quickly to get into her shop.

Orlando blinked, feeling as if a hurricane had just passed. "She... she seems nice?"

Rami smirked and patted his shoulder. "She's got a certain way about her, but she won't screw you over, if that's what you fear. She'll offer you a fair deal, and you should be able to leave here with enough gold to go wherever you wish."

Orlando smiled sheepishly and grasped the reins again. "Well, guess we'd better get this cart moving and then see what she's interested in." He paused, looking over at her. Given how they had acted, was... "So, uhm... have you two been..." He stopped himself, a blush coming over his cheeks. "Nevermind, let's go."

***

The inside of the shop itself was even larger than the exterior suggested, and Orlando found himself awe-struck by the sheer variance of items on display. Shelves with potions, salves, and unidentified bottles lined the walls, joined by the stray sheath with a sword or dagger in. Glass display cases with more expensive jewellery, all with a price-tag that made him nearly gag. He felt incredibly out of place, and couldn't do anything but stand still in front of the counter.

Rami seemed far more comfortable, and was looking through the various displays, running her fingers along some of the items. "First time in a shop like this?" She was still focused on the inventory, and her voice calm.

"Uhm, yes. Things are a bit more... segregated back where I come from. Lots of shops that only deal in one thing, you know. So you never see..." He gestured to the entire store. "This."

Excellence came out from the back room and grinned, pushing a jar on the counter towards him. "Thank you for the compliment, young merchant. Why don't you take one of these? It's an aphrodisiac."

Orlando had reflexively reached into the jar and his cheeks went scarlet, hand frozen over the items.

Rami came over and lightly slapped the back of the tiefling's head. "Don't tease him too much, Exy. He's had a rough journey here."

Excellence pouted. "Aww, you're no fun." She turned to Orlando. "I was only teasing you, it's just candy. Mostly for my younger customers, but I'll make an exception." She winked, smirking.

Orlando's cheeks were still flushed but he gave a nod, taking one of the pieces, and unwrapping it to toss into his mouth. "So, uhm... how does the inventory look?"

Excellence sighed, and straightened her back. "Very well, to business then. So, first of all, I have to commend your choice of goods. I'd be interested in it all, given my wide assortment of merchandise. As for the price..." She took out an abacus, doing some quick calculations. "I'd be willing to give you... 846 gold pieces for the lot."

Orlando blinked, nearly choking on the candy. "Eight... eight-hundred?"

She nodded, setting down the abacus. "Yes, eight-hundred and forty-six gold. Does that seem agreeable?"

He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath while he thought back to what he had acquired the whole load for. Even with travel costs included, it would be a profit of... more than five hundred gold. That was insane to his ears. Opening his eyes again, he gave a firm nod. "Yes. Yes, that seems fair."

Excellence clapped her hands together. "Wonderful! Let's deal with the transaction at a later time, you both must be tired from the journey here. Please, utilize my guest rooms and rest up. I'll arrange for dinner."

Orlando blinked again, not sure how to respond. Thankfully, his companion did.

"You really don't do anything halfway, Exy. Alright, we'll take you up on the offer. Even if we can afford it, I doubt that Orlando here is ready for staying the night at an inn in this town."

Excellence smirked. "Splendid. Why don't you both just follow me, and I'll get you situated. I will send a message to my favourite restaurant, and they'll take care of dinner for us later." She then stepped through the doorway behind the counter, indicating for Orlando and Rami to follow her.

Orlando's cheeks were still faintly flushed, and he walked slowly. "Uhm, is she... always this..." He gestured with his hands.

Rami sighed and nodded. "Yes, she is. She does nothing half-baked, and I've known her for a good few years. She's a good woman, if enthusiastic. And I meant what I said about the inns. Things get... rowdy."

Orlando turned to look at her. "Rowdy? How so?"

Rami smirked. "Let's just say that pleasures of the flesh are not exactly discouraged here."

"Oh. Oh, that's what you meant." He went quiet again, following their host up the stairs into her living quarters. The apartment was much like the shop itself, with plenty of colour lighting up the space. Silk drapes in the windows, embroidered cloths on the table and bookshelves stocked with all manner of curiosities.

Excellence hummed to herself as she stood in the kitchen, putting on a kettle of tea. "Want some tea, darling?"

Rami looked to Orlando, seeking his opinion.

"I... I think I might just go lay down. It's been a tough trip, and I want to feel an actual bed under me at least."

Rami nodded, patting his back. "Then go lay down. Hey, Exy? Guest-rooms still to the left in the hallway?"

The tiefling turned her head, smiling and pointing with a finger. "Yes, just over there. It's not locked, so just go inside and rest your head. Seems you got a nasty hit."

Orlando brought a hand up to his still bandaged scalp. "Oh. Yes, that happened. Uhm... I'll see you later?" He looked up to Rami and without thinking kissed her cheek. Realizing what he had done, he blushed scarlet and excused himself, heading to the guest-room and closing the door behind him. Sighing deeply, he then removed his boots and flopped onto the bed, eyes closed. Within minutes, he was asleep.

***

Orlando awoke from hearing laughter, opening his tired eyes. The sun had continued on its path across the sky, and the light cast long shadows in the furnished room. Sitting up slowly, he rubbed his temple, relieved to find that the headache had dulled to a faint drumming inside his skull. He sighed softly and stretched his arms, pausing when he heard an audible rumble from his stomach. Now acutely aware of his hunger, he set his feet down on the wooden floor and made his way to the door. In the process of opening it however, he could hear the voices of Rami and Excellence more clearly.

"So, I saw the way you look at him, darling. How was he?" The tiefling's voice sounded amused, and entirely relaxed.

Rami's response was calm, and he could almost imagine her expression. "Let's just say that he's more than meets the eye."

"Oh, don't be like that, Rami. How well did he do? Did he give you a good ride?"

Orlando found himself blushing furiously, frozen with his hand grasping the door handle. He swallowed on a dry throat, not sure what to do.

"Oh, more than one. We were set to arrive two days ago."

Excellence chuckled softly. "My my. Big bad Bloodbreath getting soft?"

"Don't call me that. You're my friend, but I am not above giving you a backhand."

"You wouldn't hurt me, darling. We have too many good memories."

Orlando felt compelled to keep eavesdropping, but at the same time he did not want to get caught doing so. Taking a deep, silent breath, he pushed the door open completely, stepping out into the hallway and to the kitchen. "Sorry about collapsing like that, I was more tired than I thought. I hope the dinner plans have not been messed up because of me?"

Excellence sat leaned back in her chair, tail moving through the air as she turned to look at him. "Oh, not at all. Please, come sit down. It's set to arrive anytime now."

Orlando did as told, and when he sat down next to Rami he became aware that his pants were getting tighter. Blushing again, he readjusted himself, hoping they hadn't noticed.

Rami smirked, looking over at him with her brown eyes. "I thought that mostly happened in the mornings. Never heard of afternoon wood before."

He blushed furiously, trying to center himself again. "It... it can happen. Uhm... so what's for dinner?" He desperately wanted to change the subject, and not think about the fact that he had two gorgeous women barely feet away from him.

Excellence grinned, tucking a bit of hair behind her ear. "We'll be having a personal favourite of mine, a lovely, creamy, oyster stew. Plenty of protein, and the sauce is to die for."

Orlando tried to relax in his seat, hands clasped over his lap. It was the first time he had been invited to dine in a woman's home, and he still felt out of place. Apparently noticing his level of unease, Excellence spoke up again.

"Oh, no need to be nervous, darling. I don't bite. Unless you want me to." She smirked, sharp fangs peeking through her smile.

Rami cleared her throat, putting an arm around her ward. "Exy? That's enough. Poor man was nearly killed some days ago, give him some time to collect himself."

The tiefling raised an eyebrow, leaning back in her seat. "Ah, yes. You mentioned the attack on the road. Bandits never learn, unfortunately. I'm blessed to be in a secure home, with guards ready to come if I scream loud enough. Not everyone in the city is that fortunate, sadly."

Orlando swallowed, speaking up with a slight quiver to his voice. "So, uhm... how do you two know each other?" He desperately wanted to change the subject to something that didn't remind him of the fact he had blood on his hands, even if it had been in self-defence.

Excellence picked up on that, and her smile returned full force. "Oh, that is a story that spans back some years. Isn't that right, Rami darling?"

Rami paused, taking a deep breath. "Yes. Let's stick to the short version, however." She turned to Orlando. "Before I was a recognized bodyguard, I made my living doing odd jobs around town. One day I was hired by Exy here, to transport some crates. I must have been... maybe sixteen years old at the time?"

Excellence nodded, leaning forward over the table. "Indeed. I was just starting out, and needed muscle. Sadly, desperate people are always going to make stupid decisions." She sighed. "Halfway to my shop, we were accosted by two... 'gentlemen'. They wanted my goods." She frowned. "And my body."

Rami continued. "I was a bit frightened, of course. The men were armed, and I only had my fists. But, not about to let these ruffians get their way... I charged them. Knocked one into a wall, and soon he was out cold. The other tried to shank me, but Excellence threw a bottle at his head. Once they were down and out, we quickly got away from there."