Out of the Ashes Ch. 15

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I would have been appalled if that's the case," Alexia mused.

The curvaceous blonde's eyes regained some of their usual spark. The sense of juvenile but also majestic joy and liveliness that was omnipresent when Margaret was allowed to be just her.

"It felt great to see you, Lexi. Only now, when seeing you like this, I realise that I should have said this more often in the past: Every moment with you is invaluable. And I should not take even a second for granted."

Alexia's cheeks lifted on their own and no matter how guilty she felt about what led them into this whole situation, she couldn't hold back the warmest of smiles when hearing that.

"Thank you... that ... really means a lot," Alexia gasped.

Again, those tears she tried to summon earlier were about to break free, just to retreat at the last possible moment.

"I love you. I hope you never felt like I didn't," Margaret said in a soothing tone.

"I love you too and never doubted it for a second."

The blonde smiled warmly and her smile was indeed a genuine one. But like anything these days such moments didn't last long and always felt too short.

"I really should get going. A ton of work awaits me," Margaret sighed.

The reluctance in her voice was felt with every word, but also her determination to pursue her responsibilities as king.

"I promise I will visit you tomorrow. And every day after... until you are feeling better, ok?"

"Sounds like a deal," Alexia mused and instinctively leaned into Margaret's lips when they closed in on her.

The magic of their kiss sadly subsided as fast as it arose - and that meant Alexia's mind was back to challenging her heart.

The blonde has already gotten up and turned her back towards Alexia. She was already out of reach - almost.

"Hold on. Maggie... may I ask you something? And please answer honestly," she asked while firmly grabbing Margaret's hand.

The king's face darkened and just like her lover awaited something grim, something urgent enough that Alexia couldn't wait another day.

Actually, two questions were burning on her tongue. One that she actually wanted the answers for ... and one she didn't know if she could bear them. She chose the first for now.

"When you challenged the ki-... your mother in battle. You knew you couldn't beat her, right?"

"I did."

"Why did you still challenge her then? Did you expect her to show mercy? Because I did not."

"Honestly. I wasn't sure if she would. Afterall, I thought she wanted me dead or at least out of the way. Only a fool would expect mercy from such a person, right?" Margaret said with a sad grin.

"But you are no fool. You must have had a plan. You said you had one," Alexia insisted.

"I did. One that was half wishful thinking and half knowing what my mother valued the most."

"I don't think I understand," Alexia said timidly.

Margaret exhaled and once again sat down on the bed, while caressing her partner's tightening hand. She started to shake subtly, but no fear was originating from her.

"My mother always believed the most valuable treasure one could possess was family. And after speaking to her today I truly believe she is thinking that."

"But you and her... you didn't see eye to eye for so long. You said it yourself. Only a fool would expect mercy from her, even knowing all that," Alexia said as her anticipation was building with every new question.

"I didn't expect her to show mercy for me, Lexi," Margaret said and looked deeply into Alexia's eyes.

"You... who... who do you mean then?"

Margaret's face brightened and her fingers returned the same demanding eagerness as her partner's as she was choosing her words carefully.

"A mother might learn to loathe her daughter. Despise her even. There might be a reason for that or not. But even if she closed the book on me ever being the daughter she wanted, she would always welcome her granddaughter with open arms."

Alexia's eyes widened and her heart threatened to break through her chest.

"You... are... you..."

Margaret smiled and led Alexia's hand to her soft stomach.

"I am pregnant with your child, Lexi. Our child."

The whole world crumbled around Alexia. Nothing in her life ever felt this earth-shakingly overwhelming. While her mind was filled with hundreds of stray thoughts just moments prior, it was by now a deserted wasteland.

"I... will be a mother?" she muttered, with her brain was still catching up with reality.

"You will be the proud mother of a beautiful daughter, my love," Margaret said.

"Does... do your mothers know?"

"I told queenmother just earlier... and I will tell it kingmother soon."

This was the confirmation Alexia needed. She could have misheard Margaret the first time. Might even somehow misunderstood the gesture, but there was no denying anymore.

The realisation hit her hard, harder than any bullet ever could. Alexia's tears, tears she wanted to summon all-day erupted from her eyes and most contradictory they were tears of pure joy.

She leaned forward and buried her face into Margaret's soft body as she allowed her emotions to burst free.

"Our daughter," she gasped and cried into the king's dampening dress.

"Our beautiful daughter, Lexi," Margaret whimpered herself and kissed her partner's head time and time again.

Margaret laid back down to her partner. The kingdom could wait for a bit longer. What was a kingdom worth if there was no place for what truly mattered the most in this world? Something the past and current kings both cherished more than anything else: Family - and Margaret and Alexia just started building their own.

12