Over Here

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hesitantly he took a few steps forward. She turned and saw him. Her face lit up.

"Kevin!" Her fingers clung to the fence as she watched him walk towards her. She looked so happy to see him.

He smiled as he reached her.

"Hi." He said simply. "I like your hair."

"Thanks," Katie suddenly felt shy. "How are you?"

"I'm good, and you?"

"I am fine. Kevin, I've been so worried about you..." Her eyes searched his, trying to work out his feelings. But he was giving nothing away.

"Good news about Nick and Colette!" Kevin tried to keep the conversation light; he wasn't ready for an interrogation from her.

"Yes." Katie took her lead from him and kept the conversation neutral. "They are planning a Christmas wedding."

"Katie, can I come and see you Saturday?" Kevin asked quietly. "I think we need to talk."

His words sounded ominous, and it made her uneasy.

"Of course. Do you want to come to dinner?"

"Yes, that would be nice. I'll see you about 7pm?"

"O.K. Kevin, I'll see you Saturday at 7pm. Its...its good to see you again." With a final glance in his direction, she turned and whistled for Hamish, and headed for home.

Kevin watched her walk away. Her hips gently swaying as she did so. He wasn't immune to her attraction, but he couldn't help feeling guilty for his dalliance in France.

With resignation he turned back towards the base.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colette was thrilled. Nick had got her a parachute! It was slightly damaged, but it was nothing she couldn't work round. She and Katie had it spread out on the lounge floor and they were cutting out the pieces to make the wedding dress.

"This material is ideal." Colette enthused. "Thanks for helping me with it."

"That's O.K. lovey, I'm happy to help." She stood up. "Just a mo' I have to check the dinner."

"What time is Kevin arriving?" Colette called towards the kitchen.

"He will be here for 7pm." Katie replied, as she came back into the room. "I'm starting to get nervous."

"You will be O.K. Nick is picking me up around that time too, so you can talk in private."

The girls finished cutting out the pattern for the dress and Colette carefully put away the pieces. Then they both went to their rooms to get ready.

Katie was draining the vegetables about an hour later, when there was a knock at the door. She went to answer it to find Kevin and Nick standing there. Kevin looked gorgeous in his uniform. His skin looked a lovely colour. He had obviously been outside a lot, while he was in France.

She invited them both in. Colette came running down the stairs, into Nick's arms. He swept her up off the ground and kissed her soundly on the mouth.

"Hey baby, ready to go?"

Saying goodbye to Kevin and Katie, they disappeared out the front door. Leaving an awkward silence behind them.

"Would you like to come through?" Katie thought she sounded too formal, but didn't know what else to say.

They went into the dining room where the table was set for two. Katie went into the kitchen and started to serve the meal.

She set it down in from of him.

"It is only shepherds pie, I am afraid, and there are more vegetables in there than meat..."

"It looks great, thanks." Kevin tucked in. "Mmm, tastes good."

During the meal they made small talk. There were several awkward silences. Once they had eaten their dessert, Katie washed the dishes, and Kevin dried them. Finally everything was put away.

Kevin took Katie's hands in his.

"Please come and sit down, we really need to talk..."

Katie followed him into the lounge and they sat down on the settee together. She turned to listen to him, expecting the worst..."

Chapter Fourteen

Kevin sat down on the settee and pulled Katie down beside him. She looked nervously into his eyes, trying to determine his mood.

"My time in France...a lot of things have happened to me over the last couple of months." He tried to explain. "It was a difficult time, we were in hiding a lot of the time. I was with Bob, a Negro; we got to know each other quite well. He told me all about his family back home in America, we talked about our interests, we have a lot in common."

Katie was listening carefully to Kevin, wondering where this was going.

"I feel uncomfortable about this, but I understand what you meant before, about how we treat Negroes in America. We shouldn't treat them that way; they really are not so different from the rest of us. I don't know if anyone is going to listen to me, but I am going to encourage the others to be more considerate towards them."

Katie sat waiting for him to continue. When he didn't, she took a breath.

"That is very good to hear." She was still waiting to hear him say he didn't want to see her anymore.

"To be honest, when I first got back, I wasn't sure how I felt about you anymore. That is why I didn't come straight here to see you." Kevin took hold of her hand. "As I said, a lot has changed while I was away, but I knew, when I saw you at the fence the other day, that I still have feelings for you. I want us to start again. Do you want to do that.... to start again?"

He looked anxiously into her eyes as he waited for her reply.

Katie gulped back the lump in her throat; she was so relieved, that tears pricked the backs of her eyes.

Seeing her tears, Kevin took her into his arms. She quietly cried on his shoulder for a few moments. Finally pulling back from him, eyes red, Katie said.

"I thought you didn't want to see me any more." She took a steadying breath, "I realised how I felt about you when they reported you missing. I hadn't wanted to get involved before, because I had been hurt when I lost my husband. But I realise now, you can't chose who you fall in love with."

"I need us to take it slowly though," Kevin explained. "As I said, I have changed. I feel I am a different person in some ways."

"That's fine, taking it slowly will be good. We can get to know each other all over again." She smiled and her face lit up. Kevin looked into her smiling face and he felt that feeling in his chest again. No it wasn't sympathy. He wasn't sure what it was yet, but it felt good.

Sinking into each other's arms, they kissed for the first time in a very long while, and it felt wonderful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kevin didn't feeltoo guilty for not telling Katie about Annette. After all, it benefited no one that she knew. It would ease his conscience, but it would hurt her feelings, and lose her trust. He would never see Annette again, so he relegated her to just a pleasant memory.

His first flying mission was exciting; it was good to be back in action again. He made it clear to his crew that racism would not be tolerated, and on the whole they cooperated with him. There was, of course, the odd comment thrown in the direction of their navigator, who was Negro, but he wouldn't rise to their comments so nothing ever came of it.

Kevin didn't expect major changes in people's attitudes but he tried to encourage his crew to be more tolerant, and he hoped that others would follow, and do the same.

It was time for Pascal to return to France. Kevin went to see him off.

"What will you do if the Germans noticed your absence?" Kevin asked, concerned for his safety.

"If they have noticed, I may have to move away from the area. But it is best if I can stay put. I am the last link in the route back to England; it would not be easy to find someone willing to take my place. There are too many people who think the Germans will win the war, and they collaborate with them. If the Resistance were to ask the wrong person to help them, they could all be revealed, and risk being shot."

"If all else fails, you know you can come back here."

"Yes, I know, but I would rather be back home doing my bit. Thanks for everything Kevin. Maybe I will see you again next time I fly someone else to England?"

"I will look forward to it. Bon voyage."

Pascal climbed into his plane. Kevin walked away to a safe distance, and watched the plane take off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Colette and Nick's wedding was fast approaching. The dress was finished to Colette's satisfaction. Katie had a blouse made with the left over parachute material, and she was going to wear it with a suit she had, which was a pretty shade of red that set off her colouring to perfection.

The local church was booked, and they were going to have their reception in the pub.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day of the wedding arrived. It was a crisp cold winter day. But the sun was shining and the sky was clear.

The girls got themselves ready. Colette's parents had travelled down from Liverpool for the wedding.

They had met Nick earlier in the week, and although at first they were not thrilled that their daughter was marrying a "Yank", they could soon see that he was a nice enough lad, and they obviously loved each other.

Colette's father walked her down the aisle. Colette could see Nick and Kevin waiting on her right hand side. Nick looked wonderful in his uniform. He turned as he heard her approach and he gave her that wicked grin, which she didn't think entirely appropriate for the occasion, but she couldn't help grinning back.

The service was very moving. As Colette and Nick said their vows to each other, Katie couldn't help but glance at Kevin. He looked incredible in his uniform, so tall, dark and proud. He noticed her looking at him, and winked at her. Which almost made her giggle.

They had been getting on very well. They were going to dances together, and on bicycle rides and walks. Kevin had a weekend leave for the wedding, and he was looking forward to spending the time with Katie.

The organ struck up the Bridal March. The service was over and the bride and groom walked back down the aisle together.

Everyone walked to the nearby pub and tucked into a buffet tea. Colette's land army friends from the hostel were there, along with Nick's friends from the base. Nick was in catering. The catering staff were in the village more often as they didn't have to go off on missions. They also were able to get food easily, which made them very popular with the local girls, who were fed up with rationing. A lot of fraternising went on during the reception. But everyone had a great time.

Later in the afternoon Nick and Colette boarded a train for London. Where they were booked into a hotel for a few days. Katie hugged her friend as they stood on the station.

"You take care of yourself, why on earth you want to go to London, with all that bombing going on, is beyond me."

"We just needed a few days away together, that's all. You can't begrudge me a honeymoon surely?" She smiled at her friend.

"Of course not. Just be careful, and have a lovely time."

"You too, you make the most of this weekend with Kevin." She winked at Katie, and Katie blushed scarlet.

"I don't know what you mean." She smiled and held open the train door as Colette got on board.

Kevin had just shaken Nicks hand and said a few words, which had resulted in a lot of laughter between them. Nick turned to Katie and she hugged him.

"Look after Colette." She told him. "She is my best friend, and if anything happens to her, you will have me to deal with." She gave him a mock scowl.

" Well, she is my wife now..." He turned to Colette as though he had only just realised it. "You are my wife...this is going to take a bit of getting used to!" They laughed as they shut the train door. A whistle blew and the train started to move out of the station.

"Have a lovely time." Kevin and Katie shouted as the train chugged away out of sight.

They found themselves the only ones left on the platform. Kevin took her hand and they turned and made their way out of the station and walked back to the village.

It was getting dark by now. The moon was shining bright, its light making the frosty pavement sparkle. They walked hand in hand back to Katie's house.

Katie took Hamish for a quick walk, and when she returned Kevin had made them a hot drink. They sat in front of the fire and drank in companionable silence. Kevin had an arm around her shoulders and she rested her head against his chest.

"Kevin." Katie felt very nervous. "I know you have a weekend pass...would you like to spend the night here?"

"Are you sure? I can sleep in Colette's room, if you prefer."

"No, I'd like you to sleep in mine." She smiled shyly up at him.

"I'd like that too..." He said as he leaned forward and kissed her.

Chapter Fifteen

Katie was curled into a tight protective ball, on one side of the bed, sobbing her heart out.

"I am so...sorry..." she said between sobs.

Kevin was trying to comfort her.

"Katie, don't cry, please..." He didn't really understand what had happened here. He only knew he had hurt her, somehow, and nowshe was apologising. He was confused to say the least.

Kevin was staying the night with Katie for the first time. She had seemed very shy, so he had left her to undress and get into bed, where he later joined her.

They had kissed and caressed each other to a fever pitch, he knew she was not a virgin, (she had been married, after all!), and he hadn't held back. He thought she wanted this as much as he did. But when he had tried to enter her she had panicked, her muscles clamped shut and penetration became impossible. Her cry of pain immediately brought him to his senses.

Katie curled up into the foetal position clutching the sheets to herself. She was mortified that this could happen again. What was wrong with her? She wanted Kevin so much but her body wouldn't allow her to consummate their relationship.

Kevin curled up close behind her. He felt her flinch from him, and it hurt his feelings. He was unbearably frustrated but he had to keep control for Katie's sake.

"How did I hurt you...?" He began, his confusion evident. "I thought we both wanted this."

"Oh, Kevin, I thought it would be different this time." She couldn't look at him.

"This time? You mean this has happened before?"

Reluctantly Katie rolled over and faced him; he began to wipe the tears from her face. She nodded and sniffed.

"On my wedding night. There must be something wrong with me. I just can't...no matter how much I want to, my body won't let me."

"Do you mean...you are still a virgin?" Kevin was incredulous.

Katie's face suffused with colour.

"Yes." She whispered.

"Why didn't you tell me about this before?" He admonished gently. "I would have taken more time...been more gentle. Oh Katie, come here." He gathered her into his arms as she began to cry anew.

"I feel so stupid, what's wrong with me?"

"Nothing is wrong with you, Katie, you just need more time. We have to be sure you are ready. I am sure when that time comes, everything will be fine." He kissed her gently on the forehead. "Now let's get some sleep."

Katie curled into his arms, grateful for his patience and understanding. But still she was not convinced that there was not something terribly wrong with her, that she could never have a physical relationship with Kevin, and if that were the case, how long would he be prepared to wait before finding someone else?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few days later was Christmas day, and Kevin was coming to Katie's house for Christmas dinner. He was also going to stay the night. But he had made it quite plain that he had no expectations of anything physical between them. Still, Katie felt anxious.

She was in the kitchen crashing saucepan lids as she checked the progress of the meal. Kevin had got her a piece of pork for their dinner and she was determined that the meal would be perfect.

Meanwhile Kevin laid the table with Katie's best cutlery. He lit the candle in the centrepiece. Katie walked in and going over to the sideboard, she picked up two crackers from a box and laid them beside each place setting on the table.

"What are they?" Kevin asked picking one up and shaking it.

"Christmas crackers!" Katie replied. "Have you never seen one before?"

"No." Kevin looked inside one end trying to work our what it was used for. "What do you do with it?"

Katie took it from his hand and pointed in one end. "You see that cardboard sticking through the hole? Well that is the snap. When you pull the cracker, you get a loud bang, the cracker tears open and inside you have a hat, a joke and a gift."

"All that in this little thing?" He thought she must have been joking.

"Hold that end tight." She instructed as she took hold of the other end. "Now pull."

They pulled in opposite directions until with a loud bang the cracker split open and Katie fell back onto the settee in a fit of giggles. Kevin was left with the larger half of the cracker still in his hand. He looked inside the cracker to find a little bundle.

Taking it out he removed the elastic band from around it. He unfolded the brightly coloured paper hat. Katie giggled and placed it on his head. He looked ridiculous, but she insisted he keep it on for the duration of the meal.

"Well, if I have to wear this silly hat, so do you." He picked up the other cracker and they pulled that one. After reading the jokes, and finding their tiny gifts, Kevin put Katie's paper hat on her head. It was miles too big and it slipped down over eyes, much to his amusement. She tried to snatch it off but Kevin would not allow it.

"This is a traditional English Christmas, you have to wear the hat." He laughed as she pushed the hat to the back of her head, and stomped into the kitchen to serve the meal.

They had a wonderful meal together. They talked about previous Christmases, and he told her that there was a special dance at the airbase for New Years Eve.

"You will come won't you?" He asked Katie. "There is going to be a real band playing."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. I love dancing with you." She smiled. Then she went and got the Christmas pudding. Although she drew the line at flambéing it with brandy.

"I tried that once and nearly set my eyebrows on fire." She told him as she cut him a slice and poured custard over it.

They spent the rest of the evening in front a huge log fire. Talking, late into the night about anything and everything. Finding so many more things that they had in common.

When it was so late that Katie could barely keep her eyes open, she became hesitant, not knowing what to expect.

"Don't worry." Kevin guessed why she looked uncomfortable. "I just want to sleep with you. Nothing else. No pressure."

Katie smiled gratefully, for his honesty and understanding. Then they walked upstairs together, to bed.

He was as good as his word. Katie lay on her side and Kevin snuggled up behind her with one hand around her middle. Then they drifted off to sleep, together.

Chapter Sixteen

On Boxing Day, Colette and Nick came home from their honeymoon. Colette was full of stories about London. Although the bombing had taken its toll on the city, the people were trying to live as normal a life as possible.

Nick was not allowed to have married quarters on the base, the US Air force were trying to actively discourage their men from marrying local girls, so married quarters were not offered. So Colette asked Katie if it was OK for them to stay at the house. Katie was happy for them to live with her, she had thought she would be alone again, if they had lived on the base, and she had dreaded the thought of being by herself.

Kevin was away on flying missions again. Katie had to try not to think of what could happen to him. It was hard being in love with a pilot, never knowing if he would make it home safely. At least Colette knew Nick was safe each day, working in the kitchens of the airbase, even though he admitted that he wished sometimes he were in the thick of the action.

1...45678...12