Perspectives Pt. 6a - Rachel

Story Info
Rachel brings a new friend into her world, baggage and all.
15.2k words
4.63
2.2k
1
0

Part 11 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 03/25/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I'm going to put the rest of "Perspectives" in the novel section since it is long, and I'm having too much fun to shorten the story. I ended up enjoying Just Kate more than I anticipated since she surprised me in this one. I should have started here with chapters, but I will catch up the side stories and do chapters moving forward. Once the side stories are caught up, I'll do chapters.

Rachel parked the Mercedes in the side lot. Correction, she parked her Mercedes. She smiled while she checked her makeup in the rearview and got out of the car looking around skeptically at the old parking lot and the building next to it. She had never driven downtown until today. The campus was close so the area was normally full of college students, but the summer months were slow, so parking was easy. Rachel hit the alarm as she walked to the front door of Downtown Grounds, a coffee shop and bar that she heard Emily talk about. It was a popular place to study during the school year apparently, but Rachel didn't have any interest in studying today and college wasn't something she thought much about anyway.

The place looked old but old on purpose; the door was covered in band advertisements and ads for Tarot readings, and something called Dungeons and Dragons groups. She'd ask Emily what that was about later. The knob was loose on the heavy door so thankfully someone was walking out and held the door for her.

Thanking the stranger for the door, she walked in, and immediately felt out of place. She looked for Kate but didn't see her. Everyone seemed so grown up. Was that the right word? She was a high school kid, 18, but still. The people here seemed like her age but way older, more seasoned. Maybe this wasn't such a great idea, she thought. She dressed casually for the date, but she had never been on a date with a girl. She had only been on one non chaperoned date ever now that she thought about it and that was last week.

She walked farther in and made her way near the bar. She saw herself in the mirror and wondered if everyone else could see through her attempt to be so grown up. She wore a frilly white crop top off her shoulders and a long Indie skirt that Emily had bought her last year. The white top made the freckles that covered her body more pronounced. She'd grown to love them over the last year and the crop top showed part of the three large ones on her belly that Emily called her solar system which always made her laugh. She looked just like all the people here but they seemed so much older. She wasn't used to being nervous like this. Where was Kate?

Rachel turned from the bar and a group of people pushed by her to sit on some couches nearby, grabbing a board game from a crowded bookshelf. She tried to move out of the way but ran into a waitress.

"I'm so sorry," Rachel said embarrassed. "I'm just a bit lost, I think."

"Oh, do you need a table? I can get you one over here in my section. Never been here?" The waitress had her blonde hair pulled up in a ponytail and she wore a long brown apron over jeans and a t-shirt with a smiling coffee cup on it.

"I'm supposed to meet someone. I think I'm in the wrong place though, so I'll go." Rachel turned to the door. This was too much. She would meet Kate at the mall, somewhere safe and comfortable. She was too new at this and her mom would kill her if she found out she was here.

"Wait, Rachel? Is it Rachel?" the waitress asked causing her to turn back around.

"Yea, how do you know my name?"

"I'm Kate's friend and I was supposed to keep an eye out for you, but I got busy. One second." The waitress sent a text on her phone.

"Sorry about that, I'm ordering pizza from next door. We don't make it here, so they bring it over, but I glad you're the redhead I'm looking for. She is on the back patio, c'mon." She held her hand out for her which took Rachel back a second but she appreciated how sweet the girl was being, so she took her hand and smiled. She wanted as many friends as possible in this new place.

Walking through the maze-like lounges that seemed more like connected living rooms, they came to a back door and Rachel saw Kate through the window, sitting at a table with her laptop. She stood up when they walked out.

"Look who I found!" The blonde waitress smiled and threw her arms up in a grand gesture.

"Hey you," Kate walked over and stopped mid hug again. In her defense, they didn't know the first thing about each other, but Rachel already liked her. Like last time, she met her halfway to steal the awkwardness away and after her not so grand entrance, Rachel was relieved to have someone familiar near her.

"Sorry I didn't wait up front, but I had to get this project over to my teacher for my class. I saw you pull up though. You drive a Mercedes? I walked over from my apartment so I can't try to impress you with the Nissan." Rachel laughed and wasn't even sure she knew what a Nissan looked like.

"Oh, yea, the car's a long story, but yea," She saw Kate's laptop and a textbook on the table. "You are in summer classes?" Rachel didn't want to explain about Mr. Morgan and the car so she changed the subject.

"Yea, it's easy though. It's an art class that I could probably teach at this point but I needed a few extra credits to graduate next year. What do you want to drink? I'm buying." Rachel didn't realize the waitress was still standing there.

"Do y'all have frozen coffee drinks? I want a mocha flavored something with whip cream." The waitress smiled. "I got you, fam. We have a mixer that makes it like a margarita machine so it will only take one second." Rachel smiled back and finally sat down.

"I've never been here. It seems ... fun." Rachel looked around and tried to hide her nervousness of being in a new place with all new people.

"Yea, it's fun. They have good bands at night and a pretty decent wine menu."

"I don't know a lot about wine."

"I know a bit. Want me to order you a flight in a little bit?"

"A what?"

"Oh, a flight. It means you can try 5 different wines without ordering a full glass of each. I learned about wine from a friend last year."

"I know smoothies and coffee and those seltzer things. I tried some beer too. It was okay."

"Those seltzers are dangerous," Kate said with a shiver. I overdid it at party the beginning of my junior year."

"I just finished my junior year too."

"You're going to be a senior? What's your major; I've never seen you on campus?"

"High school."

The server sat the drink down in front of Rachel and she winked at Kate as she walked away, but Kate didn't take her eyes off Rachel.

"Oh my god. You're in high school? Oh, I didn't know. Wow. You act so much older. I'm sorry. This may not have been a good idea. Forget I said anything about the wine and make sure she didn't spike that coffee; I wouldn't put it past her. Give me that."

"Hey, I'm not a kid, OK." Rachel pulled her drink back over. Kate looked down at her computer, obviously disappointed. "Oh my god, are you a minor? I sent you an almost nude picture. Oh fuck. I'm going to jail. I won't survive and I'm claustrophobic."

You're going to lose her, Rachel. Your first date with a girl and you're screwing it up. Maybe you should go home, or you could let me out.

Rachel paused as she reasoned with the existence of her new inner voice. It worried her; excited her. Ms. Morgan and she were together, and they were becoming more of the same person. She needed to be bold again and knew what she had to do.

"Hey Kate. Just Kate?" She looked up from her computer, still stunned. "I'm 18 and I'm no kid; I'm learning okay. I've never been on a date with a girl, and I thought you were my age. If you want me to leave I will but I'm pretty and you are excited to see me which is why you told the waitress to keep an eye out for me. You wanted her to text you so you could be ready when I walked out here. You weren't sending anything on your computer; it was turned off."

Kate looked at Rachel with wider eyes. Her cheeks started to turn red, hopefully out of embarrassment and not anger. Ms. Morgan was almost done.

"It's sweet and it makes me feel good that you want to impress me. You dressed up pretty for me. That outfit is new; it was on a display where I bought your skirt. You realized I shopped there so when you got off work early last night, you went. You didn't work until 9 like you said because closing shifts at your store start at 3; you were there before then. You bought it for our date, right? I don't want you to have wasted it. Can this still be our date, Just Kate? I want it to be."

Kate swallowed hard and Ms. Morgan could hear her shallow breaths, feel her heart beating fast through the thin green top she bought last night. She had large round breasts, not like Emily's but they fit her frame. The bra was perfect for the shirt, just barely showing the outlines of the full cups through the thin material of top. She wondered what color it was and whether her panties matched. Surely, they did. She was too self-conscious to risk not matching them. The shirt had very short sleeves that showed off her pale arms and the V-neck exposed her ample cleavage behind a thin necklace with a pendant she didn't recognize; the cut was not risqué really, but she knew it took all of Kate's courage to wear it out. To wear it for her.

"Uhm, yea, I mean. You're 18 so I'm not going to prison."

"Not going to prison for showing me your cute red panties? That was the first time you've done it, right? I really hope it isn't the last time, Just Kate."

"Yea, I mean, it wasn't the first time but I didn't know you so it was as first time with someone I hadn't kissed or dated, not that we have to kiss, or that we're dating and I can probably do it again. If you want me to. I will. I mean, I don't mind. Does that make sense? I'm 23, but I look like a kid so I'm not that much older, I guess. I'm not saying you're a kid. It's just that I'm in a different place than high school and, I can buy you a flight of wine and not tell anyone. I can make it at home, not that I'm trying to take you home with me, but if you wanted to at some point or we could get you a fake ID. I'm a computer geek and can make them. I made one for my little sister, but she isn't allowed to use it unless ...

"Just Kate?"

"Sorry, I was rambling. It's just ..."

"Can I sit next you? Maybe you can turn on your computer and show me some of your artwork." Ms. Morgan didn't wait for an answer. She got up and pulled the metal chair loudly around the table causing a few people to glance up from their drinks and books. She adjusted her long flowing skirt and sat as close to Kate as her chair would let her. Reaching through the arm of the chair she lightly put her hand on top of Kate's.

"Can I hold your hand, Just Kate?"

"Yes, God yes," She whispered. "I mean, sure. I don't mind," she corrected in a louder voice.

Rachel smiled as she felt Ms. Morgan step back into the shadows of her mind. Turning, she winked at Rachel and walked through an imagined door, not shutting it all the way.

She's all yours now, Braces.

Rachel smiled and waited for Kate to turn on her laptop. Her hand felt nice. It was a little sweaty which probably made Kate nervous thinking about it, but Rachel didn't mind. She liked being close to her, watching her talk; she would rub her hand to let her know to keep going. She was being very forward with her and enjoyed how it felt and got lost watching her.

Having natural red hair always brought Rachel attention. Not just red, but a feisty orange that matched the freckles that covered her body. Girls would always comment on how they wanted hair like hers, she knew Kate thought the same. She probably hated her brown hair and maybe thought about dying it a different color before she chickened out every time at the last minute. "Brown was boring" she remembered an admirer saying but Kate's hair was a perfect brown. A natural brown you see when the sun shines on a hillside of gently tilled earth that waits for the grass to grow and flowers to bloom. An expectant color that is so subtle most everyone misses it and takes it for granted.

"So, which one is your favorite?"

Rachel pulled herself from admiring Kate's hair to answer her.

"Oh, the fat green one." Rachel never knew their names. Emily loved Pokémon and had squishes of most of them, but Rachel didn't know much about them. Kate laughed at her answer.

"His name is Bulbasaur. He is popular. I can print that one off for you; if you want it, I mean."

"Yea, you drew it, right? I want one," Rachel said. Kate smiled with her whole face, scrunching her small nose then she would let it fade away as something else seem to take her expression. Something distant. Rachel squeezed her hand.

"You have pretty hair too. Like mine."

"No, your hair is a force of nature. Mine is the color of weak coffee."

"Good coffee!"

"Old coffee."

"Pretty coffee."

"Coffee isn't pretty."

"Then your hair isn't like coffee."

She laughed, "You're fun and sweet. Sorry I flipped out about you being in high school."

"It's fine. I should have said something. Emily figured you were in college."

"So, you and Emily are close?"

"Yes, very. She likes you and I'm sorry she kept playing with your hair at work, but y'all can be close friends too."

"So, you're friends."

"Of course. You and I are friends too, right? Friends on their first date?" Rachel squeezed her hand and started rubbing her finger. She had held her hand this whole time realizing Kate had been showing her drawings only using one hand on the laptop. Kate squeezed her hand back. She started breathing more shallow and her cheeks were getting redder. She had on more make up than when Rachel had seen her at the mall. It was nice on her but a little out of place. Cute, but a bit much for casual.

"How are y'all doing? Another mocha or maybe a glass of wine?" The waitress was really overdoing the smile, but Rachel paused when she looked up and saw her cheeks. The makeup was done the same as Kate's. That's it. Her friend helped her get ready for her date. She didn't normally wear much makeup.

"I can't. I have to get my sister from work later."

"I'm good. Thanks though," Rachel replied.

"No worries. Let me know what you need, fam."

"So what do you and Emily do? Like hobbies and stuff."

"We shop and sit by the pool and play in the hot tub. We go to my parents' cabins in the mountains too."

"Do y'all hike?"

"Not far. Emily gets tired and whines and it takes forever to get back." Rachel rolled her eyes and Kate laughed.

"So how about books or movies?"

"Movies are okay. I want to read more but haven't gotten into it much. Maybe you could show me some good books." Kate brightened at the prospect.

"Oh yea, I have a ton of books you can borrow."

"So, if you let me borrow a book that means you'll talk to me again and not disappear after our first date?"

"Wha?! How...How would you think I would not talk to you? You're beautiful. I mean, shit, I didn't mean that. Of course I meant it; I mean I didn't mean to say it out loud and you're a lot of fun and, of course, I want to hang out. I mean. Oh hell, I think I need that wine now." Rachel smiled watching her work herself up. She had so little experience dating but she felt in charge, her entrance to the bar was a distant memory now.

"Awesome, so let me come over to your place and borrow a book."

"Now?"

"Yea, why not. You can ride in my car so I can show off for you."

"You don't need to show ... you know what, okay. We can go. Let me pay Amber."

After paying, Rachel followed Kate around the side using the patio entrance. She wore a tight pair of jeans that fit her curves perfectly Rachel thought. She must have tried on ten pair to get ones that fit that well. She really wanted to impress her and the thought made Rachel's stomach flutter. She would buy her jeans. A size 8 or maybe a 10 in some brands, but they would be lose. She could talk her into trying them on for her she thought with a smile.

They got in the car and Kate's mouth fell open.

"This is so nice, Rachel. Oh my god. I don't think I've ever been in a car this badass."

"Yea, I'll tell you how I got it next time. I'm just lucky. How do we get to your place?" Kate directed her to a small building nearby that looked as old as the bar they just left. Old on purpose, Rachel thought, and got a parking place in the lot in back. They walked up several flights of stairs before coming to a loft on the top floor. They made their way over the hardwood floor in the hallway to an old heavy door that Kate unlocked with an equally old looking key.

"It's a bit messy. I'm an artist so that is kinda what we do."

"I don't care about messy. You should see the stack of laundry I almost slept on last night."

Rachel looked around at the studio. There was a bed against the wall and an area with an easel. Her computer was the most modern thing in the room and was insane looking. Three monitors and red lights running around the edges of everything. Her chair seemed to match the computer but everything else looked like it came from another time. The place was so - Kate.

"This is so you. I love it."

Kate definitely blushed that time.

"Um, thanks. You're really nice to me. It's a dumpy artist apartment that I probably can't afford for much longer."

"Why wouldn't I be nice to you?"

"I don't know. It's nothing. Let me get you a book. You'll love it. The main character is a red-haired girl who kicks ass. It's a good start to geekdom."

"OK, I'll try it," Rachel replied looking around the loft. Kate found the book from a bookshelf full of books and art supplies. She made a huge mess, moving things around and kicked a pile of stuff out of her way as walked back over to Rachel.

"Here. Try it and then we can text and talk about it." Rachel took the book from her and looked around the room again taking Kate's place in and wondering if this is what it was like to be grown. To leave home.

"What are those cards over there? Did you draw those too?"

"Those? I wish. That is a super dorky game called Magic. You wouldn't like it."

"Maybe you could show me and I would like it."

"You would like it because I showed it to you?"

"Yea, I like how you explain things to me, and I can sit next to you and hold your hand like today." Kate swallowed hard and looked at Rachel with wide eyes. The look was hard to place at first. Maybe she said the wrong thing. No, it was something else. She almost felt the look from her eyes. Something from her past, a girl from school, a bullied girl. Emily made friends with that girl in the 3rd grade. She told Rachel to invite her to her birthday party, so she did what Emily asked. That girl, Monica, yes, Monica, looked at Rachel the same way, as if some trap was going to be sprung but she was too excited not to risk it. Fear, excitement, new love, humiliation all rolled into a single look that she forgot about until now.

"Kate, do you want to come to my house for a birt... a pool party? Just me and you? I can show you what I do for fun."

"Seriously? I don't even think I have a swimsuit. Maybe I do. I do. I'll get one. I mean, of course I have one. I go to pool parties all the time."

"Kate?"

"Yea."

"Stop being so nervous. You said my hair was pretty. Want to touch it? I want you to. Come here." She sat the book on the bed and held out her hand. Kate slowly moved towards her and reached out. Rachel pulled her close and placed her hand on the red curls hanging past her shoulders.

"You're so pretty, Rachel." Kate scooted closer and Rachel put her hands on her waist, causing her to startle a bit. Rachel squeezed her, feeling the sides of her belly. She was probably scared of that too. Worried she was fat, but Rachel envisioned her in the skirt she bought with the pooch to her belly and the small love handles. She pulled at the shirt until the bottom of her fingers felt skin as Kate stroked her hair.