All Comments on 'Phillip K's Dick'

by LenNeal

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
SadieRoseSadieRoseover 10 years ago
Good Answer :)

A really nicely thought out story, and it played well with the classic sci-fi theme that you used. Your characters are very strong and well written and I loved the conclusion.

jt42ajt42aover 10 years ago
The Fine Line

You have really captured the mind set of someone who has both grown up during and fought in a devastating war. How he walks that fine line between the post war world and the war that still haunts his nightmares. The ending was excellent. He has recovered to the point where he has empathy for Claire. The way he spares her feelings by a simple statement of truth was a brilliant piece of writing.

sojourner2001sojourner2001over 10 years ago
Very much in Phillip K Dick's style

As a long time fan of the real PKD, I almost thought for a moment that he had written this. It's very much in his style, something that he might have written. Too bad he died long ago. I really enjoyed this. My only complaint is that it's too short.

LenNealLenNealover 10 years agoAuthor
It's all about the adverbs!

I finally got around to reading the complete short stories of PKD (shame on me, I know), and the things that struck me about his writing are: the hilarious boob obsession (I have yet to find a description of one single female character without a gratuitous description of her breasts), and the use of adverbs. Nobody just says or does anything, they do it '-ly'. I wrote the story, then added as many adverbs as I could stand, and you're right, it reads like PKD. It's the adverbs. I suspect a history of being paid by the word. Also, there are weird undercurrents of both PTSD and a deep romanticism in PKD's stuff that really is only explicit in one story, with that killer closer: "This one." That final line blew me away. It shocked me. That is a brilliant story.

I'm deeply flattered by someone saying my work reads like PKD, and, actually, I enjoyed crafting this story so much I have thought about doing another, or expanding it. It is, after all, about what PKD wrote about: "What it is to be human." And where else do I get to use lines from BLADE RUNNER, and describe Robert Heinlen as talky and annoying? :)!

Thank you so much for the amazing and generous comments, I deeply appreciate them, and am reading your material. Thank you again.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

This is lovely.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Long time.

This is actually a completed story. The ending is heartbreaking. I'll post it.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous