All Comments on 'Porn: the Pros & Cons'

by R M Roxinger

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Honest

Honest and well thought out.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Agree

Your editorial is perfectly correct!

VitorioVitorioalmost 17 years ago
Yes but - what is PORN

An interesting essay but it assumes that porn means the same to all people. Is a film about two adults having sex PORN? I dont think so. I a film showing violence meted out by one adult to another (usually female) PORN? I think yes particularly if it is in a sexual context. The problem has been in the UK over the years that we have been unable to separate perfectly natural (with the odd variation) acts with those which the vast majority of people would object to, i.e. involving children, animals, and/or violence. So the argument is not a simple one but, if PORN rates as men, men/women, men/men, women/women having concensual sex then I agree - but does it?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Porn is relative--I'm old enough to remember when

"A Tree Brows In Brooklyn" was spoken of behind hands covering mouths, and passed hand to hand because it spoke of a 'bared breast'

Another book later on used the word FUCK definitely verboten.

I remember masturbating numerous times over a scene in a book by Emile ---which wouldn't raise an eyebrow in a TV scene today.

Of course you can't call all the offerings here porn. Some are quite well written and provoctive.

On the other hand there is of course the Rape catagories. 90% of them cannot claim to have any "Redeeming Social Value" nor are they Erotic to most normal people.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
obscene

the first time i had a baby sitter was when my parents wanted to see "gone with the wind." i couldnt go because of the word hell. then we went thrpugh the twin beds in sitcoms or the forbidden word "pregnant" for lucille ball. still as a bi sexual male who has done about everything you can with both sexes, i am alarmed at the open sexuality for young people in tv shows. somehow, there must be some borderline that brings some common sense into play in mainstream entertainment. no, im not talking about cable or x and r rated movies. i just feel young people are being bombarded unavoidably with the wrong messages. i think we are building a sexually jaded generation.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Nice N Honest..

Nice work.. I agree with your views.. but a little expansion on what is porn would make it better..

Really like your thots anyways

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
WHY

Why cant you form a lasting sexual relationship with another human,are you frightened of rejection or some other deep seated emotional problem,notice I said another human,I did not mention which sex.I found your essay very revealing about you IF it is true.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Definition

I DONT THINK YOU KNOW WHAT PORN IS,OR GENERALLY CONSIDERED TO BE,when you do perhaps you will be more aware of your inner self,interesting submission.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Controversial: I like it

This is good - definitely raises questions about what porn is and what role it plays in different people's lives.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
My thoughts...

I think your essay was well written, but I have a couple of points I’d like to add: <BR> 1) Women like porn too. 2) Not all women are taken.

<br>

If you want to give up on sex that’s your choice, but find a better excuse. I am the poster girl for social reject and I managed to find someone. Focusing on what makes you different can help. For instance, I’m into heavy metal, paganism, writing, and other things that most people consider strange. The first time I went to a personals website I found my husband.

<br>

You’re college educated and appear intelligent. I’m sure you can find someone if you want to look…

R M RoxingerR M Roxingeralmost 17 years agoAuthor
Reply to previous poster

Yes, some women consume porn too, although romance novels tend to be their counterpart to men's Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, etc (which is not to say that all readers of said magazines are male, although the majority are). I suppose if it weren't for women who love porn (or at least love men & sex), where would be those 600+ Playmates (& many thousands of Playmate wannabes)?

In any case, among the many reasons men resort to porn is that they're tired of being rejected by real-life women. They know it's useless to even try to measure up to Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Brad Pitt & George Clooney, to the likes of whom women seem to be attracted. Of course that would be the male counterpart to women's complaint that they can't measure up to the Playmates. Yet we ogle the Playmates not because we'd date/marry them if we met them in real life (I in fact would not), but because fantasy is all that is (or at least seems to be) available to us. Although the right women can make us, the wrong ones can break us; better alone than with a radical feminist or golddigger!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
If I may add...

There are other reasons for porn that are so logical that I do not understand objections; younger people who really shouldn't BE having sex have an outlet, as do married individuals seperated from their wives/husbands, people who are too sick or hurt to really have sex, etc. Not to mention people who simply lack the time, resources, etc, to get a mate. There are so many people outside of the young adult and middle aged, healthy, well-off sections of society who can use this outlet.

Also, since I was reading Playboy even when I was quite young, I feel that porn can actually be an effective teaching device. A few decades ago, how many teens knew what a clitoris was? It really IMPROVES sex lives, not hurts them as some claim, to have this information early, to understand the mechanics and have ideas.

But I don't mean to try and steal any thunder; you have a great article here, and hopefully these types of articles help people keep their thoughts and libidos in order.

And if I may add to what a previous poster said, you CAN find a woman out there for you. Even if it's not "forever", I'm sure there are plenty of relationships you could get into. Try out of the ordinary ways, perhaps. I had a fiance from France I met online for several years; not only that, beautiful girl, great personality, and awesome sex. So, don't give up in life, because women at a bar will never equal a loving wife.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Reply to author...

I doubt most women aspire only to marry the likes of the rich and famous. If that was the case, then most women (especially me), would never have gotten married. Personally, I felt that taking a chance at getting hurt was better than a lifetime of loneliness. But as I said, it is your choice.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
It is difficiult to find well written porn

Porn, the name comes from the greek for prostitute - can be good and exciting. Unfortunately most of it is poor quality and many of the stories could be generated by a computer.

Since porn is very widely read and enjoyed by men and women it is sad that there is not more of it well written. Visual porn when done well is the most exciting but good erotic videos are rare.

Literotica - I do not think it is a poor man's site as the author claims - could help by giving some guidance to first time authors, like avoiding all the lingery measurements and tales of excessively exagerated physical performance and focus on writing a story wilt a good plot, not just crude language.

I guess the general prejudice against sex and erotica prevents talented authors and directors from attempting to create good porn so most of it is produced by people who are incapable of writing good marketable fiction.

R M RoxingerR M Roxingeralmost 17 years agoAuthor
I'm a free man now

Women's interest in me is more in their hands than mine. But continuing to fight a hopeless battle vs. giving up the fight, yes, that choice is mine to make. I choose to give up on the pursuit of women, much like I would on a business venture that proved unprofitable. I've reached a point by now where I no longer care if I never date again, or if I'm not strong enough, confident enough, tall enough, wealthy enough, or whatever. I'm a free man now.

PrincessErinPrincessErinabout 16 years ago
Interesting

Interesting point of view. I do like your ideas. Your point of view is from a man's perspective, maybe I'll write from a woman's perspective.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
NICE PRON OR THE OTHER SORT

I enjoy the female form as much as any man can, but seriously some of it is sad sick stuff out there, to put a polite word on it .When it comes to crapping on each other , involving kids , hurting each other , animal fucking is out to. I knew one truly sick puppy who used to get his rocks off boasting about the snuff video he liked to watch. People there is some really sick shit out there .

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
mnnngh

ooh yesshhh i agreee

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userR M Roxinger@R M Roxinger
I seldom click well enough with girls/women to even get close to having sex, much less form/maintain a marriage/r'ship. My dating opportunities were few in high school, and even fewer in subsequent years. From college on, I found that the women were almost all married or other...