Real Love Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Brad thinks to himself that this will be the best day ever here on the Island. Upon reviewing the contracts, they agree with all of them so Brad goes out to find Kelly.

She's standing by the pool talking to Nikki and Rick when he comes up behind her, scares the crap out of her, then put his arms around her and squeezes her, a smile comes over her face knowing who would do such a thing. He apologizes to Rick and Nikki saying he needs to borrow her for a while, then grabs her left hand and drags her away to the business suite telling Nikki and Rick not to run away because they're next.

After they leave, Debi asks Nikki if she can arrange a small surprise engagement party for Brad and Kelly because she doesn't want them to get suspicious of her. Nikki agrees and makes necessary arrangements for a surprise lunch hour celebration of Brad and Kelly's engagement.

Brad has Kelly sit down in the business suite and he puts her left hand on the table where Craig can see it and releases her.

Craig immediately notices the engagement ring on her finger and congratulates them. It's not a big surprise to him because Debi told him prior. Kelly has to tell him the whole story of how it happened as happy tears return to her eyes. It's heart warming to hear her tell her side of the story.

Getting back to the subject, Brad says, "Kelly, this is your new contract. I have read it four times and it's perfect. Craig even dotted the T's and crossed the I's."

They laugh.

"Now it's your turn. Read it and sign it, please. Or else," he says, winking at her with a smile on his face and a kiss on her lips.

Kelly reads her new contract, nodding as she reads it. Then she signs it and gives Brad a big hug and kiss. She's a happy girl and also gives Stacy, Peggy and Craig a hug.

"Kelly, based on your promotion, would you please present the other assistants their new contract with their team leader present?" Brad asks.

"Absolutely. I would not miss that for the world," she says. "But I have to get something before we start."

Kelly runs to the suite, picks up a folder and returns to the meeting. Then she reads each of the three contracts before presenting them to the assistants.

The three owners, Kelly and Craig will be in the room as Debi, Rick and Nikki are presented their contracts, one at a time. Then Kelly asks who wants to be first.

Peggy volunteers so she goes off to get Rick and escorts him into the business suite. He sits beside Kelly as his contract is presented, with Peggy sitting on the other side of Kelly. After reading it, he says he's satisfied with the raise and especially the open employment contract. Kelly is the first to offer congratulations and a hug, followed by Peggy. Stacy, Craig and Brad congratulate him after signing and welcomes him to the new Packard Empire with more big hugs handed out.

Brad says, "Welcome home Rick."

Next, Stacy takes hold of Rick's hand and walks him out to Nikki where she takes her hand and escorts her to the business suite. They sit on either side of Kelly as Nikki is presented her contract. Nikki says she's satisfied and happy, especially about the open employment contract. Again, Kelly does her thing first. Brad, Craig and Peggy congratulate her after signing the contract and welcome her to the new Packard Empire.

Brad gives her a big hug and tells her, "Welcome home Nikki."

It's Brad's turn to go out and get Debi so he takes Nikki's hand and escorts her out to the pool to join the rest of the team, more definitively, Rick.

After they leave, Kelly explains that Debi is going to receive some special, personal training and asks them not to interfere. Moments later, Brad returns holding Debi's hand, just as Kelly finishes telling them, and he escorts her to the seat next to Kelly. He takes a seat on the opposite side of Kelly as she prepares to present Debi her new contract. Debi is all smiles.

Brad puts his head on Kelly's shoulder and holds her hand as she's about to address Debi.

"Brad, this is a business meeting. You can't do what you are doing. It's not professional," Kelly says.

He sits up slowly and releases her with a disgusted look on his face, trying hard to hide a smirk.

"You do it!" he says as everyone giggles.

As soon as she looks away, he wraps his arms around her and gives her a kiss on her cheek, then takes her hand in his again.

"Men," she says shaking her head as the room laughs at their fun, then she kisses him and says, "I love you."

They might play this game again as Debi smiles at them the whole time Brad plays the game.

Kelly begins as Brad releases her, "Debi, you have been a great asset to the Packard Empire. As a result, we have evaluated your current contract and made a few changes. Read it and sign, if you so desire."

Debi reads the contract and signs it, but doesn't look happy, noticing that she only gets a two grand pay increase and a one year extension to her current contract, which is what she agreed to in her interview.

Kelly speaks up and asks, "Debi, why do you look so unhappy?"

"I'm not unhappy Kelly, just disappointed. I still have a job working for the best bosses in the world," she says, forcing a smile, but feeling sad.

"Debi, if you're disappointed, you're not happy, either. Who are you trying to kid? We gave you everything you asked for in the interview. Why aren't you happy?"

"I was hoping for a bigger contract is all. It's no big deal."

Showing confusion, Kelly says, "We thought if we gave you what you wanted, you'd be happy. But, if you're not, I would prefer you rip up the contract."

"If I rip it up, I won't have a job with you and Brad and that's not an option for me. I want to stay and work with you so I'm willing to make the sacrifice to stay."

Brad says, "Debi, do you remember our deal when we extended your contract?"

"Yes Brad, I remember."

"Did it have anything to do with you being happy?"

"Yes," she answers, knowing where Brad is going to take this.

"Are you happy with that contract?"

"I will accept it to stay here, Brad."

"That's not what I asked Debi."

Hesitating, and bowing her head, she finally says, "No, Brad, I'm not really happy with it."

Debi's eyes begins to show a little wetness because she doesn't like the direction this is going.

"Then, you're violating the agreement you made with me. Tell me your not trying to weasel out of it. I didn't think you would do that to me."

Her eyes begin tearing up.

"I don't understand, Brad. This doesn't make sense. Why are you doing this to me?" she asks as she begins to softly cry.

"Because you're letting me, Debi," Brad says, raising his voice.

"Then what do you want me to do?"

"You already know what we want you to do."

"But I really want to stay and work with you and Kelly."

Tears are running down her cheeks now.

"And we really want you to rip up that contract if you're not happy with it. I don't want unhappy employees working here."

"Will I still have a job here if I rip it up?" she asks as she continues to cry.

She's not feeling good about this contract, nor is she feeling good about the direction this negotiation is heading.

"There are no guarantees Debi," Brad says, moving him and his chair between her and Kelly.

Debi now feels she screwed up big time and may have lost her dream job.

"Kelly, Brad, this is my dream job. If I lost it, I don't know what I would do," she says crying. "It would devastate me. I have to stay here and work with you guys so please, don't ask me to rip up the contract. I can't rip it up without knowing if I still have a job here, working for you," Debi explains as more tears begins appearing.

"There are always options, Debi, and fewer guarantees in life. You may not like the options, but they'll always be there. You need to pick the one that's best for you. Don't make this decision any harder," Brad says.

Debi wants to stay real bad, but she's fully aware she pissed Brad off. It's decision time for her as she finds herself on the hot seat, a place she's never been before. She doesn't want her dream job to slip away, but she's realizing, deep down, it's gone, her once in a lifetime deal.

After a few more struggling minutes, Debi starts to rip up the contract, with tears streaming down her face, but stops. She hesitates for the longest time and repeats the same act a couple more times. Then, with tears flooding down her cheeks, she rips the contract in half, hoping she didn't just lose the job of her dreams, but facing reality, she knows she has.

She crosses her arms on the table, lays her head on them, and cries her eyes out. She has no hope left in her body, feeling like an empty vessel. She knows she pissed off Brad and assumes he doesn't want her around anymore.

Brad hangs his head and closes his eyes as Kelly and the gallery watch him. Kelly reaches for him with her hand. He's feeling bad for Debi. He hates himself for doing this to her because it has drained the life out of her. The worst part is over, but he's not done with her yet. He reaches for Kelly's hand and looks at her with a sad expression. He squeezes it, brushes the wetness from his eyes and stands up in front of his chair.

"Debi, stand up, please," he says softly.

She stands up very slowly and starts to head toward the door.

"Where are you going?" Brad asks as he reaches for her.

"To pack."

Brad stops her, embraces her and holds her tight, which makes her relax a little, but not much. Still crying, she puts her arms around Brad's waist, limply, doesn't squeeze him, but does rest her head on his chest. She knows she going to be terminated. Her crying diminishes a bit, but she still has tears as the realization begins to take affect. Kelly gives her some tissues.

"Why are you hugging me after what I just did?" Debi asks.

"Debi, I can't hear what you're saying," Kelly says.

Debi turns her head to face Kelly and repeats what she said so Kelly and the gallery can hear.

"First, because I want to, second, because Kelly wants me to, third, because Peggy wants me to, fourth, because Stacy wants me to, fifth, because Craig wants me to and, sixth because we're not done with you yet. You have quite a large support group here you know... Why don't you know how special you are to us, especially after this last trip?"

"I thought I did, but you're telling me I'm not."

She gives Brad a squeeze.

"Based on our actions alone, do you think Kelly and I are trying to get rid of you?"

"Brad, you're confusing me. What you're saying now and what you said before don't match up, so I don't know what I should think," Debi says.

"You didn't answer my question Debi."

"I'm sorry, Brad... No. I really thought you want me to work with you both," she says as she hugs him a little tighter, still crying, tears still running down her cheeks onto his shirt, increasing the size of the wet spot.

"What did I ask you to do when I gave you that bear hug in Ohio?"

"You asked me to remind you to hire me as your assistant when we got back to the Island."

"Was I serious?"

"I thought so."

"Was I serious?" he asks a little louder.

"Sorry. Yes, Brad, you were very serious," she says as she cries again.

"Kelly and I, all of us actually, have always supported you and there is no reason why you should think otherwise. You knew that going into this interview, yet you signed the worst contract for a person of your skill level and you did it without even as much as a question or challenge. You need to stand up for Debi and present her as a great employee, because you are indeed, a great employee."

"I know I should Brad but I hate fighting with people over trivial matters. The contract I just ripped up guaranteed I still had a job working with you, I would still be able to support myself and I would still have my dream job. Now, I don't have a contract, don't have a dream job, don't have an income, don't have happiness and an unknown, rotten future without you guys. Besides, it's not up to me to determine my worth to a company. It's the company's decision and I thought, or hoped, it would be different here, since you and your sisters took over," Debi reveals with tears streaming down her cheeks.

"It is a negotiation between you and the company. All you need to do is stand up for yourself, convince us you are worth more by telling us the facts of your work history since your last evaluation," Brad says.

"I know you're right, Brad, but I don't like confrontations."

"Then don't make it a confrontation. Just state your case, that you're an excellent employee and have specific examples to back up your claim," Brad tells her. "No matter what, you still need to stand up for your future, like it or not. It's not as hard or as difficult as you make it out to be... Now, I would like you to tell me what contract would make you happy."

"I was hoping... for $60 grand and a... five year contract," she mutters quietly.

"I'm sorry Debi. The Packard Empire is not willing to pay you $60 grand, nor give you a five year contract."

That says it all and Debi cries more. Now she knows she's done at the Packard Empire. Now she's after confirmation.

"Brad, are you going to fire me?" she says in a low voice with tears streaming down her face. "I will take a pay cut to stay here with you."

"I ought to beat you to a pulp for asking me that question."

She cries again.

"Your future with the Packard Empire is Kelly's decision now and she has something she wants to say to you. Are you up for it?" he asks as he loosens his grip on her.

Debi softly cries saying, "I'm sorry, Brad. It doesn't seem I can do anything right. It just isn't my day. This is too much pressure for me..."

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, Debi, and you are much stronger than you think. I've seen you stand up for yourself so I know you can do it."

"When?" she asks as she backs away to look at him.

"Not wanting a mediator between you and me, and when you expressed your team feelings when we came back from the first trip."

"Okay Brad, I remember and you're right on both counts... I've made it this far. You may as well finish me off. I can see I haven't performed well and it's impossible for me to feel any worse than I already do," she says, speaking out of sheer desperation.

"Be strong, Debi. Believe in you. There's a lot more to you than you're aware of," Brad says.

She sits back down and puts her head back on her folded arms, not looking at Kelly. Brad also returns to his seat with a smirk on his face, knowing she can't see him.

"Okay, Kelly. Let me have it. I can take it."

It's clear to her that she has pissed off the boss and knows she's going to be fired. She's not happy with her own performance and knows she blew it, even though she has revealed what she wants in a contract, and a relationship.

Kelly says, "Debi, this is going to be the worst part of this interview, if you can survive it. Are you ready?"

"There is nothing worse than getting fired from your dream job, Kelly. Go for it," she says, not changing her position.

Kelly grins and continues, "Debi, your performance with us has been exemplary. You fit in, take responsibility, take control, solve problems and get things done. Your performance on the last trip as a single assistant was over the top, with no help required."

"As a result, Brad and I have re-evaluated your performance and salary and made a few small adjustments. You will receive written annual performance evaluations by myself, and you can talk with us at any time. Read this contract and sign it please."

Debi isn't expecting another contract, so she rises up to a sitting position wondering what the hell is happening. She nearly stops crying and wipes the tears from her eyes as she reads the new contract Kelly slides in front of her.

Brad stands up, moves his chair out of the way and takes a step away from Debi.

As Debi reads the contract, her eyes open wide and get really big. Her mouth drops open, then more tears become visible in her eyes.

Debi looks up and sees Brad with a slight grin on his face.

"You're not going to fire me?"

Brad shakes his head slowly.

"I'm sorry, Debi. There is no way in hell we would even consider firing you," he says shaking his head.

She lunges at Brad and he feels the sudden, expected impact, causing him to take a step backward to regain his balance. Brad wasn't expecting her to hit him that hard since she only had two steps. She puts her arms around his back, buries her face into his chest and squeezes the shit out of him so tight, he can hardly breathe.

Kelly's best friend is crying and convulsing as she embraces him. She's so deep into her emotions she can't do much else. Brad holds her tight and Kelly can see tears racing down her cheeks. Debi's emotions have taken complete control of her. She cries and cries as more tears streamed down her cheeks, giving Brad a couple wet spots on his shirt.

Several minutes later, Brad is still holding her tight, making her feel wanted, and says, "Debi, are you going to survive?"

Moments later, she lifts off his chest and looks at him, still softly crying, and says, "I will, Brad. This is not what I expected. I thought you were going to fire me because you're seriously pissed off at me."

"Actions always speak louder than words, Debi... Would I still stand here supporting you if we're going to fire you? That was a bluff to encourage you to rip up the contract and we're glad you did. By doing so, you told us you are worth more because your dream job is on the line. The contract you just read is what you get when you fight for yourself."

"No company will do for you what the Packard Empire just did. We, on the other hand, want you to be happy, so the new Packard Empire will make the sacrifice to keep you here. There's no reason why you should have to sacrifice anything to keep this job because you're very proficient at it, and it shows. Are you a happy girl Debi?"

"I'm a very happy girl. You gave me a huge promotion, a huge raise and removed the one thing I hated most in my contract, the termination date," she says as she returns her head to his chest.

Brad puts his finger under her chin and lifts her to make her look at him again.

"No Debi... That is not what just happened. We didn't give you anything. You earned that contract based on your performance and attitude. You just don't see it that way yet and that's what we want you to learn."

In a heart beat, she cries again and buries her face in his chest as she hugs him very tight again. She cries and cries and holds him for a long time without saying a word. When Kelly moves in next to her and joins the hug, Debi reaches for her and cries some more as she embraces Kelly. Debi holds them tight for several minutes as Brad gives Kelly pecks on her forehead.

Craig feels their emotions along with Stacy and Peggy and all of them have tears in their eyes as well.

It must have been five minutes later when Debi breaks the hug and says, "I can't believe what you two just did for me. You are the world's greatest bosses. Thank you Kelly. Thank you Brad. This new contract makes me a real happy Debi. I feel so good working with the two of you and I feel like I have a great future here. I can't believe how lucky I am that Brad kept me on."

"Debi, look at me please," Kelly requests.

She does.

"Brad and luck had absolutely nothing to do with it. It was you," Kelly says.

With more tears in her eyes, Debi says, "Okay Kelly... But I'm so happy I can't believe it! It just feels like I'm floating on cloud nine or something, like I'm not anchored to the ground."

We can't tell," Kelly says, resulting in both of them laughing through their tears.

"You keep fighting for me and I keep letting you down. I realize that now and I promise I will do something about it. But, for my own edification, I don't understand why you took the time to teach this lesson. No other boss has ever done that for me, why you? Why now? Why me?" Debi asks while still hugging them, but looking at Brad.