Real Love Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

All Stacy and Peggy can do is cry with him. They understand what he's going through because they feel it too.

"Brad, your father was a great man and there's no denying it. To have people compliment you in that manner is the greatest compliment you can ever receive. Even I'm impressed about how close to your father you are. Even though I was proud of your father, I'm more proud of you. Not just because I'm in love with you, but because you are as good as your father, only better, to quote Craig. I admired your father because he was a very smart man, a tough man. You're also a very smart man because you are every bit your father's son. You are molded in his image with many of his characteristics. I have to live with that reality every day."

"I'm so sorry you never met him. I wanted him to go to all three of you when he got sick, but he said no. He didn't want to interfere in your life after 23 years. He thought it would be better for you and your sisters if you didn't meet him. I think he was sorry he made that decision because I heard him crying in his bed later that evening. I never confronted him again about it though. I think he loved you three very much, but was afraid to admit it to anyone but himself. He didn't fight his illness like he fought so many other battles, leaving me to think 23 years without the love of his life was long enough for him. He was ready to spend the rest of time with her."

"Thank you Angel. I understand."

Kelly is only trying to help, and Brad understands that, but she didn't really tell him anything he doesn't already know and understand.

He reaches for her and they hug each other as Brad continues crying. Then Brad hugs his sisters. Kelly is feeling his pain and she cries with them. She did her best to comfort him, but doesn't really know if she did.

He asks Kelly and his sisters to go back to the meeting without him and he will join them shortly, that he wants to be alone for a while. Kelly doesn't want him to be alone and tells him so. He wraps her in his arms, gives her a kiss and tells her he's okay. He just wants to be alone. He will join them in ten minutes, so they slowly leave him with major trepidation and concern.

He stays on his bed longer than he thought. Ten minutes later, he hasn't shown up at the meeting so Kelly goes back to the suite. She finds him still laying on the bed, staring at the ceiling, but he's not crying. He almost looks normal.

He looks at Kelly when she stops at the side of the bed, reaches for her hand and tells her he said goodbye to his father. There is little else he can do in reality. He said he asked him to watch over them as they lead this company and make sure they don't screw it up. Kelly breaks down and cries as she crawls beside him on the bed. He holds her tight as they became one as they grieve for his father.

When they recover, Brad says, "Kelly, thank you for being here for me. You have been a huge help to me and I don't think I can ever repay you for that. You're my everything. You're my life. I love you so much," Brad says sobbing.

"I will always be here for you Baby. Always," Kelly says, also sobbing.

Fifteen minutes later, Brad and Kelly return to the meeting holding hands. He looks as normal as normal can be as they take their seat.

"Sorry everyone, for my sudden and hasty departure... Several people have told me I remind them of my father. When Craig gave me that compliment a while ago, for whatever reason, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I love my father with all my heart, but my sisters and I never met him. All of you know him personally and that's what pains me... us. Because of this, the compliment made me loose control. So... I'm asking all of you not to talk about my father anymore so I can maintain better control of myself. Craig, I deeply appreciate your compliment and thank you for your sincere thoughtfulness. I know it came from your heart."

Kelly is becoming nervous and it shows. She is thinking something that Brad may not want to hear.

"You're welcome Brad, and I will honor your request. My apologies to you and your sisters."

"Thank you Craig, but no apology required."

Peggy says, "Brad, I do hope you feel better. I feel the same way. I'm here for you brother."

Stacy says the same thing.

"Thanks girls."

"Brad," Kelly says in a sorrowful voice, holding his hand, "I think you better get use to that compliment. It's going to come at you time and time again from CEO's and Danny's friends. I don't know if we can stop them from being absent minded, even if we tell them in advance not to say it. I'm sorry Baby, that's just the reality of the situation as I see it," Kelly says.

"You're probably right Kelly. You usually are about these things. I guess I need to man-up get use to it after all. But, here, with this team, I will still ask you to refrain please," Brad says... "I cried like a little baby if that makes anybody feel better. I also bet you guys didn't know I could run that fast either," he says with a smile.

They chuckle, then smile with him. Taking some time for a joke or two before everyone gets back on subject, everyone agrees not to talk about Danny anymore and they move on. Craig's comment prompts Stacy to speak her mind and take this conversation to the next level.

Stacy addresses the group saying, "Okay, now we are back on subject. Craig, thank you for your comments and compliments, but for me, they don't go far enough. All of us knows Brad gives credit where credit is due. I think this team should do the same. The attitude we now share is because of Brad. He's the leader of this team and everybody knows it, including Peggy and myself. His vision about pushing this company forward starts by making his people happy and proud to work here. We're all his people and like you, I am proud to be one of them."

"And now, we're a family with a home, as Kelly made us realize about a week and a half ago. It's very important to him and, therefore, important to everyone in this room. He caused our attitude change. Peggy and I think we should continue to look through his eyes and allow him to take his rightful place as the leader of the new Packard Empire."

That statement got a round of applause from the team.

"Craig, do we need to make it legal or just let him do what he is so talented at?"

Brad interrupts, his voice very strong, "Absolutely not! You will not make it legal Stacy. You and Peggy are very much a part of this company as I and I won't entertain anything about putting me above anybody on any totem pole. It's not what father wanted or he would have done it in his will. Since he didn't, things will remain as they are. End of subject."

"I will take the blame for starting this change if that is what you expect of me, but it's up to all of us to continue it. It's a philosophy or attitude that takes everyone's determination to make happen. I know each one of you feels the difference between management of year ago and now. I can see it on your faces. Which is better for you? If it's better for you, will it not be better for all Packard Empire employees?"

Brad continues, "If the fired VP had our attitude, do you honestly think he would have said what he said to us? This attitude is contagious. All I did was practice it and all of you caught it as if it was a disease. You caught because it is right and deep inside, you know it. You can feel it, same as I do. I didn't force it down anybody's throat, nor did I try to convince anybody of anything. Nor did I didn't tell anybody I was doing it. Not even Kelly..."

"Now you know this attitude is right. It changed each one of you as a person, for the better. I've seen it change all of you and I will give you an example."

"Rick and Nikki were on vacation just before we left on the last trip. Even still, they attended the manager interview which I specifically told them they weren't required to attend and all of you heard me tell them that. The average person wouldn't attend the meeting based on that permission. Would either of you be willing to tell us why you made the decision to attend that meeting?" Brad asks.

"Nikki speaks up for them and says, "Because Brad, Rick and I both agree that what has happened here is a good thing. It makes both of us happy and proud of our new owners. It has created a strong team and we are part of that team so we want to participate as team members. It's also the same reason why we took the trip with you and boy was that ever a wise decision. We got a front row seat to see you propose to Kelly. That alone is worth my weight in gold."

"We are very proud of what you have accomplished, especially in such a short period of time, and it reflects on the whole team. Stacy and Peggy have changed as well and we can see it plain as day. I can't stress enough how proud this team is of our owners."

"We have noticed everybody on this team change, including us. We feel privileged, happy and proud to be here and we have the same desire to want to work for the new Packard Empire, especially to be part of this team, as the rest of you do. It's the biggest honor of our lives. I can't explain how lucky we are to be here."

Debi speaks up and says, "That is the same reason why I put Kelly on vacation and took her job on the trip. I wanted to be part of the team and share the experience, and I did," she says smiling at Kelly.

As Brad sits there thinking, he suddenly realizes what was just said. His mouth opens and his face appears shocked, very serious expression.

Kelly looks at him, does a double-take, and says, "Brad, what's wrong?" as the team watches in disbelief.

"Oh my god! Kelly," he says. "Do you realize what this means?"

"I do Brad."

"I don't think you do... We won't be able to get rid of them at all, will we?!" he says as he maintains the shocked look on his face.

The entire Packard team bursts out laughing hysterically. With the joke sold, Brad laughs with the team and pulls Kelly to his lap and they hug each other tight.

"I love you so much Baby."

The team joins her and gives Brad and Kelly a team hug right there on the couch. There are bodies piled on bodies. He had them convinced something was seriously wrong. Craig is laughing so hard, all he can do is shake is head.

As the laughing wears down, they unpile and return to their seats, still laughing.

Brad continues, "Believe me when I say, I see happiness on all your faces because what we have created here, is all because of you..."

"You all know the VP told me we're too young and inexperienced to make this company successful. This team has just witnessed the first major change in this company. I would like anybody who wishes to speak up and say what they want to say about this issue, because if I'm wrong, we need to change it before I make it worse."

There's not a bad comment about the attitude change from anybody, even Craig. The team wants it to continue.

"Oh shit. I think we're in trouble now," he says, turning to Kelly.

"Why?" Kelly asks.

"We've created a few monsters," he says smiling.

The team laughs again at his humor.

"Everyone here is part of this. It has made all of you feel better about yourself, better about your job, better about your boss, better about your coworkers, and finally, better about the new Packard Empire," Brad continues.

"Now, let me back up for a second," Brad says, taking a deep breath. "My sisters spoke to me last night about taking the leadership role in this company and brought it up again just a short while ago. Last night, however, I spent some time thinking about it and made a decision."

Looking at Stacy and Peggy, Brad says, "I will be proud to perform that job with all humility I have in my body. I don't know if I'm ready for such a huge responsibility, but I feel like I am. Do I know everything? No, but I'm willing to learn."

He changes his focus to the group.

"The good news is, I have plenty of support. However, there is one serious complication for me. Even though my sisters and I have all the legal standings in this company, we are a team. I will not take on that role without this team. If I accept this challenge, everyone has to continue doing what they do, including us owners. It takes a great team to lead a great company, but, every great team has a leader. Therefore, I will only step into that role if a majority of this team gives their approval."

Debi inserts, "Every great team has a great leader, Brad."

"Okay, Debi. I guess I better get use to that as well... Stacy, what do you think?" Brad asks.

"I think we should all vote on it," Stacy says, picking up on the hint. "Peggy?"

"I agree," she says.

Brad lays his head on the table so as not to influence the vote.

Stacy says, "By a show of hands, who wants Brad to be the leader, or top dog, of this company?"

Everyone raises both hands while Peggy and Stacy counts the votes. The team holds up their arms until Brad sees them.

"There you have it Brad, everyone votes in favor, 200%. Is that clear enough for you?" she asks smiling as he looks up.

Brad sees the hands as they put them down.

"200%? How do you figure that?" Brad asks with a confused look.

"Duuugh... Because everyone raised both hands."

Brad laughs.

"Duuugh... I'm so dumb sometimes..."

They have a good laugh, again at Brad's expense.

"Thank you, all of you, for your vote of confidence. That only leaves one final issue for me. I'm an inexperienced, 23 year old kid. What do we do about that?"

Everyone laughs and Kelly gets affectionate with him again.

"I don't think any of us gives a damn how old you are Brad. Just do it!" Craig says as he comes down from his own laughter.

Everyone agrees with Craig and another round of cheers and applause follows. As the applause subsides, Brad continues.

"However, based on my previous statement, nothing is going to change. I expect my sisters to continue to learn and carry their load, I will continue to learn and carry my load and the rest of you will learn and carry yours, even if it fluctuates or grows. Is that a deal?"

Everyone says it's a deal.

"Here's something else I hope this team understands. We can't do this without this team. It's literally impossible and we know it. You know it as well. Nuff said."

"Brad, I believe I speak for everyone here and we understand what you're saying. My point is, we want to help you in every way possible, so expect it. We won't let you down," Nikki replies.

"Thank you Nikki. We are going to be one hell of a team!"

Brad continues, "I believe leadership starts at the top of any company and trickles down. That's what has been started and it spread to each one of you. We must push it forward the same way it was started -- by practicing it. All of you excel at what you do. Let it out and show it! It will be the wave of the future in this company, if we make it happen."

"This company is on the verge of a major change in management style and all of you need to understand that you are part of it. It will be a cutting edge change and may even spread to companies outside the Packard Empire. People will be looking at us as proof of this philosophy with major skepticism."

"We will face hurdles, and this team must figure out how to confront them and overcome them. Anybody want to guess what the first hurdle is?"

Nikki speaks up and says, "The CEO's."

"How right you are Nikki," he says giving her a hi-five.

"So tell me. What are you guys thinking? Are you up for it?" he asks with a smile. "It will be our first serious challenge as a team."

Brad goes silent and listens to the team's comments. As the conversation continues, it becomes clear it's what they all want to do. Everyone is in, even Craig.

Stacy speaks up with the conclusion and says, "If this isn't the right thing to do, I can't imagine what is more right than this philosophy."

"Point well made Stacy," Brad says. "I need to warn you this may be a difficult battle to win, but together, we can do it. Another philosophy has been embedded into the minds of management personnel for many decades. If problems pop up, we need to talk about them as a the team and find a solution."

"To throw another iron in the fire, in the next thirty to sixty days, Kelly tells me we are doubling our assistant staff so we need to train them first. No business travel until we get the new staff trained to the new Packard Empire standards."

The feedback Brad just received makes him proud of what he has accomplished. Kelly and Debi are very proud of their boss. Peggy and Stacy are very proud of their brother. Rick and Nikki are very proud of their leaders and are proud to be part of the new Packard Empire. Guess leadership runs in the family.

Craig speaks up saying, "I swear to god, Bradley Weber, you are wise beyond your years. I'm sorry, I just have to say this and then I will shut up about the subject. I can tell you your father is very proud of you. Stacy, Peggy, I can tell you first hand your father wasn't sure if you would take this job, but he did have high hopes you would. Here you are and he's very proud that you stuck with it. To all three owners, this is your company now and Danny told me to encourage you to take control. You have done that in a very short period of time and I can see you're going to do many great things in the future. With that said, my commitment to your father's wishes are concluded, subject closed," Craig says.

The triplets try their hardest to hold back the tears, but it doesn't quite work out. They hug each other and thank Craig for the sincere comment. The team rises and gives the owners a well deserved hug.

As Brad regains control of himself, he says, "Thank you again Craig... We will have more discussions about this as we progress, so expect it. Think about what we will be facing and start preparing. Also keep in mind that this will not only be challenging, it may also be fun."

"Again, I want to thank all of you for your confidence in me. I will do my best to do what you expect of me and take this company to new heights. Is there anything else we want or need to discuss?" Brad asks.

"An announcement first Brad. We expect the first training class to start a week from Thursday. Everybody will be involved so don't be surprised. Just letting you know," Kelly says.

Rick asks, "What's our involvement in this training class Kelly?"

"They will, no doubt, want to ask you questions about your relationship with the team and you need to answer them," Kelly replies.

"What do you want us to tell them?"

"For whatever they ask, answer their questions to the best of your abilities, from your perspective. You will have our full support so you don't have to be shy. You will also have right of refusal so if they ask a question you do not wish to answer, just tell them so and also tell them why. Also, expect the unexpected."

"What do you mean -- unexpected?" Nikki asks.

"I mean to expect something you may not think will happen. For example..."

She pauses to think of a real possible encounter to expect.

"They may be skeptical because this is new to them. Let's face facts. Weren't you skeptical as you learned this philosophy?"

"Yeah, I was because I didn't completely understand what was happening. If I just heard about this philosophy for the first time and not seen it for myself, yeah, I would be totally skeptical. Okay. Thanks Kelly," Nikki says.

"Anything else?" Brad asks.

Kelly doesn't say anything because she knows Brad is going to bring up the next subject, gets her phone out and cues up the recording as Brad continues.

"Okay, I want to bring up something you heard already and I would like Kelly to play it again," Brad says. "This is what I told Larry and his secretary, Helen, about the Packard team. Again, this reflects every member of this team, not just the ones sitting with Larry and Helen. Also, keep in mind I said this about two weeks ago. At the time of the recording, I was still working on changing this team to a family. Back then, it was nothing like what it is now. It was fairly early in the process. Play it please."