Reality Check

Story Info
A good dose of reality was just what the Doctor ordered.
15k words
3.52
17.9k
11
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Prologue

I ran across Literotica a few months ago and started reading stories about cheating wives. I found one story written by Ohio called "Preemptive Strike" that had some similarities to what actually happened with my wife and I. I've never been much for writing. In fact, I took freshman English as a senior because I kept putting it off. I believe this is a good story worth sharing so I figured what the hell, I'd give it a shot. As unlikely as some of it may seem, this story line follows the actual events as they unfolded. All names, places, and facts that weren't pertinent to the story line are fictitious to protect the not so innocent. I did, however, take some creative liberties at the conclusion. Since this is my first submittal, any constructive criticism would be appreciated. I enjoyed writing it, I hope you enjoy reading it.

**************************************************************************************

Mark's phone was vibrating on the table. He continued with his story while he fumbled picking it up. Glancing at the screen, "Oh it's Dave, I should take this... Yeah buddy, what's up... Yeah, were on the 19th hole about ready to leave... Hold on, let me walk outside it's pretty noisy in here."

Thinking to myself, that must be Dave the young guy that just moved to town a couple months ago. I met him a few weeks past when he filled in for Eddie, a regular in our foursome. We had a standing tee time at 11:30 every Saturday that the wives didn't really like, but reluctantly put up with. I always got up early Saturday morning to spend a few hours taking care of "honey do's" to earn the afternoon off. Sundays always belonged to her and the kids and I was always happy to do whatever.

Eddie chugged down the last of his beer and stood up. "Gotta get home to take care of a few things before dark. Tell Mark when he gets back in here to make sure his ass is ready in when I get there in the morning. Thanks again for the ass whoopin. See ya next week."

We always play a little game called Captain that you earn dots for winning holes, birdies, sand saves, etc. At two dollars a dot it never amounts to much money, it's all about the bragging rights.

Mark walked back in just as Ernie and I were finishing our drinks. Sitting down in front of his half full beer, staring at the glass, he appeared deep in thought.

"Everything alright?"

"Hopefully. I don't need to finish this-- let's hit it."

Once out the door we gave Ernie a "see ya next week" and headed to our trucks parked on the other side of the lot.

"I wanted to talk to you alone. I'll give you a recap of the conversation before my phone went dead. That was Dave Collins the guy that golfed with us and you invited him and his wife to your Sunday barbeque. He wanted to thank you again for having them over. He said your wife and Amy really hit off. Guess they've talked several times about decorating their house. Anyway, I guess he is a big time deer hunter. He went out to check some potential hunting spots this morning before archery season opens. On the way back he decided to stop at Gordon's, that little cafe-motel on the main highway about 40 miles north of here. He was being seated in a booth next to the front windows when he noticed a truck pull up. The guy didn't get out of the truck; just sat there until a car pulled up next to him. They got out together and met in front with a big hug. Her hair was different, but it sure looked like Jen to him. When they started walking towards the door the guy reached down and squeezed her butt cheek. She turned and said something to him before playfully pushing his arm away. His first thought was maybe it wasn't her, but until he was sure, he didn't want her to see his face."

When we got to our trucks Mark said "Hold on a minute John while I plug my phone in, then I'll finish what he told me while its charging."

"They sat down in the only available booth right behind his. She was sitting with her back to him so he could clearly hear everything they were saying. It seems they knew each other from high school. With all the giggling and laughing he said they sounded like a couple of young teenagers. They were doing a lot of reminiscing so it was clear they hadn't talked to each other in years. I guess some of the conversations were about encounters that were sexual in nature, so it was obvious they were more than just friends. The last thing they talked about before she got up to go to the ladies room was when they were going to meet up again. Using the opportunity to leave without being seen, he paid his bill and snuck out. Once outside he decided to take a picture of the truck and car from the back getting the license plate numbers. Driving out he noticed the building next door was a small motel. Being in no hurry he decided to wait until they came out to see where they were headed. After about 20 minutes he was about to give up when they finally walked out. They headed over to her car with his arm around her waist then they talked a few more minutes before he reached out and grabbed her face with both hands planting a long kiss on her lips. She finally pushed away, smiled, then said something and turned and got into the car. She rolled the window down and he put his head in the window and they kissed again. Then she reached out and gave him a little pat on the arm and drove off heading south. He just stood there watching her drive away before jumping in his truck and heading north. Before I could ask him anything my phone went dead."

"As soon as I have enough charge I'll call him back and get him to send me the picture of the car. Just hold on it should only be a couple minutes."

"You know Mark, Dave's only seen her one time. I really don't think that was Jen. She did her errands this morning before I left for golf because my mom is out of town. She wouldn't have had anybody to watch the kids. Besides Jen hasn't been acting any different. Shit, we have never even had a serious argument and our sex life is better than ever-- and it started out great. Hell, you've been around Jen enough. She won't even let anybody kiss me at New Years and there's been a few that have tried. You've seen it. When we go out drinking and dancing she spends most of her time keeping an eye on me, paying very little attention to other men. What worries me, if this was Jen, there's a whole lot more going on here than just her looking for a little adventure."

"No, I hear you. It's pretty hard to believe she would do this. Hold on, I heard my phone chime. Yeah, got 3% now, that should be enough. Looks like Dave texted me 3 photos."

The first photo was a silver F150 truck.

"Holly Fuck!" My jaw dropped when I saw the second photo. It was definitely Jen's white Escalade.

He pulled up the third photo which was actually a video. It started with them just coming out of the cafe up until the parting kiss. The guy was tall, tan, rather well built with long blonde wavy hair. I'm thinking middle aged surfer.

"Mark, can you call Dave back. I need to talk to him. Ask him not to say anything to his wife if he hasn't already. I don't want Jen to have any idea I know about this. And ask him to give me a call when he has some time, I want to hear all the details."

"Buddy I'm really sorry. Do you plan on confronting her?"

"I need time to think. I don't know what the hell to do."

"Well, let me know if you could use my help with anything. You know we have his license plate number and my bother-in-law is a cop over in Conner. I'm sure he'll run the plates for me if he's on duty. I'll text it to him and let you know as soon as I have something."

Driving home my initial shock turned to anger. The longer I drove the madder I got. How could she do this? We have a better marriage than anyone I know. Or at least I thought so. I may not be perfect but I'm a pretty damn good husband. By the time I entered the garage I was ready to storm in the house and confront her. As I was getting out of the truck a bit of reality slapped me in the side of the head. I should be worried, not mad. What right do I have to be angry when I've been cheating on her for several years when I go to the annual builders trade show. They are just one night stands--just sex. But regardless, it certainly counts as infidelity. So I shouldn't be upset about her possible straying. I need to worry about her heading into an affair with somebody that she obviously has an emotional attachment to. She's had some time now to think about what's at stake. When I see her hopefully a little reality has smacked her too. I'm hoping to sense some regret or remorse in her for the little lunch time excursion.

As I walked into the house I got a text from Mark. "Chet says don't do anything illegal with this info. Kevin James Anderson, 3735 Hill Crest Rd., Brextin."

I'm thinking to myself that's got to be at least a 140 miles north of here. If that guy drove a hundred miles, he's got to have more than lunch and talking old times on his mind.

Jen was in the kitchen starting dinner as I walked in. I could hear her singing and when she turned around there was a big smile on her face. My first thought-- so much for regret. I said "Wow somebodies in a good mood. What's got you all smiles."

She ignored my question and asked "How the golf go."

"Great. I won a few bucks for once. So what did you do today?"

She turned back to the counter and after a long awkward silence "I had lunch with someone I knew from school."

"From college?"

"No, high school."

"Who watched the kids?"

"Oh... Shelly had the day off and didn't mind keeping an eye on them for little while."

Shelly is our next door neighbor who normally works Saturday at their family business. She has a 6 year old the same age as Frankie and a 9 year old boy one year older than Brad. They get along great and spend a lot of time together.

I dropped the questioning at that being relieved that she didn't lie to me. As far as I'm aware she's never lied to me about anything. I wanted to keep it that way so I made no effort to corner her. I grabbed a beer and headed out to the back deck to contemplate my next move. My head was spinning trying to get control of my thoughts.

Asking my wife how her day went or something to that affect was the usual when I got home. It was pretty obvious she hadn't given any thought to what she was going to say should I ask. Either she was so excited about the day she forgot or worse yet it didn't occur to her that what she did was really out of bounds until I asked.

I feel confident my wife loves me, but then again maybe I shouldn't. I've always got the sense that my wife felt like she over achieved when she married me. Then a disconcerting shock went thru me like a lightning bolt. What if I was just the best she could do since she couldn't have her true soul mate.

I don't know much about psychology and this is something that I'd never given any thought to until my own indiscretion a few years ago. I managed to rationalize it in my mind by convincing myself it's just physical. No different than masturbating while thinking of some women you don't know. Although my wife's sex drive is pretty much off the charts this appears to have happened because of some unfilled emotional needs. I've got to figure out what the hell is going on. Why? How can figure out what to do if I don't know "WHY"? My phone rang startling me out of my thoughts-- no name, must be Dave.

"Hi Dave, thanks for calling."

"No problem. I want you to know I won't say a word about this to anyone including Amy."

"Mark told me you want to hear it all, blow by blow."

"Yeah, give me everything you can remember."

"I assume you saw the video. At that distance, I'm sure you didn't see much detail. This guy, who Jen was calling Kev, looks to be a little over 6 ft., mid thirties, with muscular arms and chest; definitely lifts weight. He has long blonde wavy hair. I think most women would describe him as very good looking, but kind of a pretty boy; not the rugged type at all. In fact, the young waitress did a double take when he walked in. I also noticed his hands were small and kind of feminine; doesn't look like he's ever done a hard days work."

"The first few minutes after they sat down he was showering her with compliments. Then it was on to how much he's missed her. How fantastic their life would have been if fate had not torn them apart. They spent the next half hour catching up on each others lives. Jen didn't say a whole lot, he did most of the talking. Never married, just couldn't find anybody like her. She set the bar too high. He sold his software company a few years ago for enough money that he's set for life; just looking for someone to help spend it. The last several years he's been traveling the world going on all kinds of adventures, even claiming he climbed Mt. Everest. He just kept going on and on and on about all the great things he's seen and done. He reminded me of Johnny Cash in the old song "I've Been Everywhere" he rattled off so many places. He made a point of telling her the only thing that could have made it better is if she had been there with him. She seemed quite taken with this guy, constantly laughing and giggling at his experiences and stupid jokes. It was almost like she was a groupie talking with a rock star. Personally, I think this guy is full of shit."

"Then he asked her about college. She told him about her interior design degree and how she regretted getting pregnant before she could work a few years and establish a career. Then she mentioned that your not supportive in her desire to go back to work full time. He came back with that would never have happen with him. Her happiness would be his number one priority."

"The conversation turned to all the good times they'd had together. They lowered their voices to just above a whisper but I could still hear some of what they were saying. A lot of reminiscing and laughing about their sexual exploits and the different places they did it. Sounds like it was mostly oral sex. In fact, he made the comment that she'd promised him he would be the first and even though he wasn't, the way he looks at it she still owes him. She responded with you were the one who was here one day and gone the next-- never to come back. And what happened to your move only being temporary and you moving back with your real mom. Then after school started you quit taking my calls. He explained that he didn't get along with his moms boyfriend but she promised him she was going to boot his worthless ass out and he could move in with her. Ended up she didn't kick him out for 6 months. He said he quit taking her calls because she was constantly on his mind and he had to let her go-- or go crazy. After a moment of silence Jen said I guess I understand now, but I didn't then. I got so depressed that I didn't leave the house for weeks except to go to school."

"He asked her when they could meet again. She let him know only Mondays or Saturdays. She's off on Mondays and your mom picks the kids up from school, or Saturdays when your golfing and she can take the kids to your moms house. He asked if they could get together on Monday. She told him your mom was out of town until next Sunday so it would have to be the following Monday. She got up to go to the ladies room and I took the opportunity to make an exit. Once in the parking lot I snapped the pictures and took the video you saw.

"Thanks Dave, really appreciate the call. Sorry your involved."

I took my last sip of beer thinking where in the hell do I go from here. I definitely need to get into her phone. Knowing my naive trusting wife she probably wouldn't think to immediately delete any contact with him. I've got an idea. This should be easy.

When I entered the house Jen was on the computer at the table.

She looked up and asked "Is everything alright." I told her my phone went dead before I could finish a call with a potential client. Can I barrow yours for a minute. She reached down and grabbed it typing in her password as I discreetly filmed her from behind. She asked "What's the number, I'll dial him for you." Laughing I said "Oh shit, it's in my phone. No problem it will only take a few minutes to charge mine." Walking away I checked the video. Perfect, I could see the password she typed in clearly.

After dinner we went out to see a chick flic Jen was anxious to see. Don't know if it was just my state of mind, but she seemed especially passionate during sex that night. Lying there when we finished, a chill went up my spine thinking, I wonder if she was imagining I was Kevin the whole time. I laid there unable to sleep with my mind going a hundred miles an hour. Why did this happen? What's made her so vulnerable that she would put our marriage and family life at risk. The way she feels about this guy isn't a decision she's made; it's likely a reality that she probably has no control over. I'm thinking I need to man up and put whatever jealousies and insecurities I have aside and control this situation the best I can. I can't do much about her feelings except to expose this guy as a bull shitter just trying to get in her pants. What I need to figure out is what's going on that would make her fall prey to his line of shit. Could she still be in love with somebody she hasn't seen or even talked to in almost 20 years?

Thinking back the last couple years there has been some subtle changes. When we go out she's even keeping a closer eye on me. I have noticed her dressing a little sexier at times. She has been noticeably more flirty with men while dancing. In fact, the last few times she's actually accepted slow dances, something she never used to do with men she didn't know. My mind was wandering. What about some of her comments. Just recently she hit me with "You just keep getting more handsome while I'm going downhill. By the time I'm 40 you won't to be seen in public with me." What did I do? Just laughed. A couple times recently she's brought up getting implants. What did I say? You know how I feel about fake tits. And she's complained about the weight that's never come off after her last pregnancy. It's not much but a little tummy and her butt's a little softer. I made some stupid comment like "Just more of you to love." She's asked about going back to work full time pursuing her interest in interior design. I think my response was something to the affect that why would you want to do that, we certainly don't need the money. Could she be having a mid life crises at 34? Is she insecure about herself and therefore our marriage? Has she been letting me know that things aren't quite right with her and I've been too blind and self-absorbed to see it? Shit! Am I the one responsible for this?

I finally relaxed a little and started thinking about Jen and our past together. I met her at the local community college dance. I was 24, she had just turned 20. A neighbor of mine, who's under age stopped by and asked me to buy him and his buddy some booze. "Yeah... sure, give me a minute." On the way back from the liquor store they invited me to go with them to the dance at the community college. I'd been to many of the monthly dances when I went to school there and figured what the hell, I like to dance and I have no plans tonight. After a couple of stiff drinks in the parking lot, we headed in. I first laid eyes on Jennifer standing against the wall outside the entrance. She didn't strike me as a beauty, but certainly sexy and very petite. I approached her and started to say something but when she finally glanced up I could tell she'd been crying. I got tongue tied and just gave her a little nod before turning to get my ticket and hand stamped. Since we were late it was only about 30 minutes before the band went on break. When we headed out to get another drink I noticed her still standing there. I walked over, smiled and said "Were going out to the car to get a drink. You look like you could use one." After a moments hesitation she smiled and said "You got that right. I'm in, if you make mine a double." While we finished our drinks I got her story. Guess she had come with her boyfriend. Between songs and old girlfriend came up and asked him to dance. Staying on the dance floor for the next slow dance he soon had his hands down cupping her ass. Jen got angry and confronted him. All she got in return was a shrug and your making a big deal out of nothing. It really pissed her off so she walked out thinking he would come after her. When he didn't, it was a matter of pride, she couldn't go back in.