Realms of Eden Book 03: Whirlwind

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What if instead of putting the bugs on the girls that the Virgin Guardians had them for use in case something comes up that is too big for them to handle?" asked Sandy thoughtfully. She felt the eyes of the group turn towards her.

"I was thinking that the alarms are more for alerting someone that a person was in trouble and telling the relevant back up where they are. Couldn't we use them to provide safe paths and signalling on a general thing. We could mount them on posts along pathways or at schools or bus shelters, anywhere. People could yell out that they were in trouble and the alarms could sound and maybe trigger some sort of recording of what is happening," she continued.

"Yes!" exclaimed Sydney. "They could be linked to volunteers, like the Virgin Guardians, off duty police and rescue people. I am sure that there would be plenty of military personnel that would take on a monitor role."

Robert turned to the monitor beside him. "Alfred how many security cameras are around this motel, not inside, but outside, feeding to local law or other security businesses?"

The other people in the room waited for the green faced man to respond. Alfred's face disappeared and a schematic of the surrounding area came up, yellow and green dots were displayed across it as he spoke. "There are eight cameras linked to district control, in yellow and four linked to law offices, they are shown in green."

Another set of lights in blue appeared. "These are private company cameras, installed to watch buildings such as the motel, the businesses across the street. There are also several cameras installed in ATM's and for traffic monitoring. In all there are almost four dozen cameras within a 500 metre radius of this motel."

"Is that typical, Alfred?" asked Sandy.

"For a business area, Sandy, yes it is. On the harbour area there are almost twice that number and that is not including the military ones that have been camouflaged to look like signs and lighting. Around areas such as Jenny's and Bonnie's schools there are significantly less, but still enough to monitor a reasonable distance. In most urban estates there are quite a number of them, mostly for use by the estate security contractors. In the very rural areas there are very few, but then again there is less likelihood of people moving about with criminal intention that would not already be noted by the populations. Country folk tend to be very nosy!

"In all of the kidnappings over the past 200 hundred years less than one quarter of one percent has been carried out in isolated rural areas," Alfred concluded. During his explanation many graphs and maps had been displayed, most of them far too quick for the humans in the room.

Robert grinned as the computer entity lectured. "Thank you Alfred," he said.

"With a little modification I think we could use Clinton's alarms to trigger a link to those cameras and at the same time send alerts to registered groups including all of those that we talked about," said Sandy. Her enthusiasm for the plan was beginning to grow and she saw that Sydney's frown and unhappy face was gone as he too considered the possibilities.

Cue Ball appeared in an empty chair at the table and startled all present with his sudden appearance. "Sorry," he quickly apologised, "I just needed to see you about this now before you went any further."

The group waited for him to continue. "You are not to become involved in this, give it back to Southey! He will be far more effective at organising the necessary links and support groups. There is only two other persons he needs to make it work."

"And they would be?" asked Sydney.

"You don't need to know, none of you do!" the man said firmly. "I will take these plans and Alfred can replay the conversation for him and the others."

"Why?" asked Kelsey suddenly afraid that something drastic was going to happen and that the man from the future was holding back the information.

"Let's just say that certain people are not too good at keeping their hands off other people's areas of control," he said gently before he and the papers on the table disappeared.

"Well that's that then," Thelma said with a sigh, "you have declared us off limits!" Her smile to Sydney was one of concern but also to signal the man that the decision was no longer in their hands.

"I guess so," Sydney said as he smiled back at her. He decided that Cue Ball would let him know in good time what it was all about.

Robert looked between the two and couldn't help but worry that something about their easy acceptance of the decision was not all it appeared to be. A quick glance at Kelsey confirmed it, the woman's eyes were full of alarm. "Sydney, promise me that you will simply concentrate on winning the last one day match and nothing else," he said softly into the silence that was growing around the table.

Sydney looked at his friend and noted that Kelsey was also watching him carefully. "I promise," his voice was firm in his commitment and he turned to Kelsey, "and for you too!" He grinned as he saw their relieved faces.

"Good, because you have training under lights tonight immediately after dinner," Robert told him as he stood. Sandy grasped his hand as he did and bumped against him as they walked towards the door and through it back to their own room.

Clinton Southey was surprised when he arrived at his office the next morning to find a thick manual on his table and beside it two items that looked surprisingly like large grasshoppers. Opening the manual he found a letter addressed to him and as he sat at his desk to read it he began to chuckle. By the time he had finished the two pages he was almost in tears of laughter as he handled the two insects and inspected them. "By Jove, Cue Ball, you do come up with some unique critters!"

He looked at the two names that were shown on the bottom of the note and found himself reaching for his desk phone dialling the name at the top of the list. "Hello is this Maria Castellantes?" he asked the pretty brunette who answered on the second ring. The girl nodded. "I have a friend of mine who tells me that you are a mathematics genius and a superb organiser and you might be willing to come and help me with a project I have in mind?" he continued.

"Who is this friend?" the girl asked.

"Sydney Douglas," he replied.

"When do you want me there?" was the immediate response and Clinton Southey felt fresh laughter bubbling to the surface as he began to outline what was required.

By the time he had finished with Maria and her parents he had the woman booked on a military flight for New Zealand the next day. He contemplated the next name on the list and placed the call. "Penny Rogers," came a soft voice and Southey found himself staring at the back of the blonde head that was bent over a work bench adjusting the components of what appeared to be some sort of computer equipment.

"Hello Penny, a friend gave me your name saying that you might be able to send me a couple of computer hardware technicians that might be interested in making some cash for a short term contract," he said quietly.

"Depends," said the woman turning around to see the military man sitting at his desk, "who is the friend and what do you want them for," she peered at the monitor for a few seconds before adding, "Captain?"

"The friend is not important, actually he wanted me to keep his name out of the conversation for some reason. I need some people who can set some hardware up to link some equipment into existing video surveillance equipment. Public and military stuff mainly. It is not anything dangerous or top secret, or at least it won't be, but I would like to get the project started as soon as I can," Southey told her. He was impressed by the blue eyes that stared at him frankly and the pretty face with it.

"Can I see the specs of what you want to connect?" she asked.

"Certainly, I can transmit them to your email account in Cellarium if you wish."

"Good and include a contact please, Captain?"

"Southey, Clinton Southey," he supplied to her.

"Very well Captain Southey, I will get back to you later today." The phone call disconnected.

"My word you do find some pretty ones Cue Ball," Southey said to himself as he sent the file from the computer chip that had been supplied with the manual.

Penny Rogers reviewed the information that had been sent to her from Captain Southey and grinned to herself as she noted that his reply address was in New Zealand. "Sydney Whirlwind Douglas," she said to herself, "what are you up to now!"

She scanned the list of names in her head that she thought would be able to handle the job as well as the cash and a few months in the Shaky Isles. There was no way she could go. Cellarium's computer systems were so old that she was spending all her time replacing and fixing them. Already her team had grown from the original four to over thirty staff and that didn't include the administration department she had to employ to keep track of the costs and requests. Still she laughed to herself, Sydney certainly was keeping her busy even if he hadn't been back to her bed since he left her after the wonderful encounter with Thelma.

Giving herself a little shake she extracted the hand that had snaked its way into her blouse and begun stroking her ample breasts and returned to the problem at hand. "Kyle and Theresa would make the perfect pair, both young, bright and capable. Another thing they hate each other, will give them a chance to turn that hate around," she said to the machine she was still tinkering with on her workbench. It was Penny's main annoying trait, talking to herself or to the equipment she was working on, it set everyone around her on edge.

The beautiful woman was apt to carry on conversations for hours with a computer server yet clam up around actual humans. It was also something that endeared her to many of them as they listened to the conversations that she carried out with the imaginary entity in the machine. Many of her staff knew that she pined for the opening batsman for Australia in a love hate relationship that most of them could not fathom. Yet she would openly confront her feelings to a dismembered box of chips and circuit boards. If one was lucky enough to be with her you could learn a lot about the attractive long legged blonde without actually having to ask her a question.

Glenda Hixon was one such person who was lucky enough to work with the brilliant computer engineer. She had known Penny ever since she had come to university, even worked with her at times in the Campus Canteen topside. She knew all about Penny's relationship with Sydney Whirlwind Douglas and the beautifully cold chancellor of the university. It was something Glenda had never told anyone. Now she listened as Penny discussed who to send to New Zealand and employed a trick that she had learnt at her father's knee to elicit the rest of the details from her brilliant boss, ventriloquism.

The server spoke back to Penny. "What will Kyle and Theresa be doing over there?" it asked.

"Connecting the eyes of bugs," the woman laughed, "well they look like bugs, I have a picture of them on my computer."

Glenda touched the screen beside her and was amazed when what looked like a giant grasshopper appeared on the display. "What do they do?" she threw her voice to the server.

"They listen for people in distress, calling out help or for threatening voice tones or loud noises like shots or screams. A lot of different things, but when they detect it they have to then connect to the eyes nearest the bug and send an alert to the authorities," Penny replied as she gave a small grunt as she tightened a motherboard into place.

"What are the eyes?" the server asked.

"Cameras that belong to the military, police, district councils, even private homes and businesses. The bug can divert the signal if it needs to but mostly it will simply send to the monitoring groups and the distress signal will go to volunteers, local law or military. It is supposed to be mainly to stop the kidnap of under-age girls for the sex trade. But Sydney has decided that it could be used to help anyone!" Penny replied then sighed deeply as she mentioned Sydney's name.

"Maybe I should put one in my bedroom," the blonde whispered to herself. Glenda did not respond though she desperately wanted to put her arms around the woman who seemed to shrink a little as she returned her mind to the equipment.

Glenda spoke through the server in a soft tone. "Perhaps you should send a message with Kyle and Theresa to tell him to come and see you."

"No he told Southey that he didn't want his name mentioned, no doubt he is undercover again! Fucking fool will get himself killed one day before I get the chance to fuck him to death!" Penny slammed the screwdriver she had been using on the desk and stormed from the room. Glenda paused before she followed the woman out.

"Captain Southey?" Glenda asked the military man in front of her on the monitor in her office.

"Yes, Miss?" replied Southey.

"Hixon, Glenda Hixon, I am Penny Rogers' assistant," Glenda told the man.

"Oh good, have you got some people for me then?"

"Yes Sir, we do, two young and very bright people. No doubt Penny will send you their details shortly but Captain I needed to talk to you about something else, if you don't mind?"

"Sure, Miss Hixon, what can I help you with?"

"It's about Sydney and Penny. I know he told you not to mention his name to her but she knows who asked for her people. Sir, she very much misses him and I think he needs to know that!" Glenda knew she was asking too much but for the love of her boss she had to try. The man on the vid connection smiled sadly at her and she knew his answer even before he shook his head.

"I am sorry for Penny, Miss Hixon, but Cue, sorry Sydney, made it plain that he could not be involved in this project at all! He simply gave me the names of the people he thought would be the best that I could get to help me on this. I really am very sorry," the captain was sorry and he was at a loss to understand why his supreme commander had made it so plain that Penny was not to know.

"Thank you Captain, I won't hold you up any longer. Goodbye."

"Wait!" called Southey as the tearful woman began to cut the connection. Glenda paused watching the captain's face. "I will let a friend of his know, I am sure he will get the message."

Glenda nodded and gave the man a huge smile as he cut the connection. Strangely Southey felt a little more comforted at the woman's reaction.

Clinton Southey never got to pass the message on to Jerome, the alarms on his tablet screamed at him that his wife was in trouble! His hand automatically went to his emergency call beeper as he logged the coordinates of his wife's alarm and sprinted for the exit of the building. He was followed by several darkly clad officers as they exited onto the building's rooftop where a high speed hover was already warming up for departure.

On the monitor on the console in front of him Southey watched as two men raped his wife on board a hover boat that screamed across the harbour heading towards the open sea. Alfred spoke in his ear piece. "It's Frost's boat! I tried to track where the men had gone, but lost them in the tunnels under the city. Frost waited in the boat. I am sorry Captain."

The harbour patrol jet never even asked for permission to fire. Southey and the two officers beside him watched in horror as the boat exploded in flames, killing everyone aboard. "Bogey destroyed," came the voice of the patrol jet pilot as Southey's head dropped into his hands allowing the tears to flow unchecked through his fingers.

"This is my fault," he sobbed. The needle against his neck wasn't even felt as the sympathetic medic behind him sent his captain into blissful unconsciousness.

Chapter 5 -- Goodbyes

Sydney Douglas stood rigidly at attention, his suit black and stark against the sky of brilliant blue as he stood beside the grave of Cassandra Southey. The others had already departed, even Clinton. The captain looked haggard and drawn, but in the last few days Sydney had seen the fire rekindle in the man. A fire that he knew would turn into a raging inferno that would only burn out when Southey died. His instincts told him to leave the man be, even when his heart cried out that he needed to offer more comfort than the quiet words and heartfelt hugs that he had given him in the privacy of the hospital ward where they had taken the man after the destruction of the hover boat.

Looking down into the open grave Sydney let his thoughts flow towards the casket and found his ethereal self standing in the darkness that he instantly recognised. "Cassandra," he called softly.

"No Enyalius, not this time," a woman's voice answered him harshly. "I will not go back to hurt him again!"

"I understand Cassandra," he said softly.

"No Enyalius, you do not!" she screamed at him. "He will kill so many, take out his revenge all in the name of protecting his family. And in the end it will mean nothing to him because I am not beside him, not the one he could save!"

"Will you wait for him then?"

"Yes, I will wait for him! I love him! When he comes to the realms he will not be the same soul that I have known for so long, he will need to be reminded of who he was!"

The woman walked towards him, her hands were in front of her clasped together, the knuckles on each of them white with pressure. "Please Enyalius, watch over him for me?" she sobbed as she let the warrior hold her in his arms.

"I will Cassandra, as always."

"Goodbye Enyalius, I will not see you again in your lifetime. It will take many generations to bring Clinton back to me." The woman turned and walked away, rapidly lost in the swirling darkness of the realms of the dead.

Kelsey and Thelma watched the man they loved carefully as he stood quietly beside the grave. Both of them knew that he walked the realms of the dead to say farewell to a woman that he had met and fought with many times beside her husband. Cassandra.

Kelsey touched his hand as she felt his mind return and with a soft kiss she urged him to come with her and Thelma to the waiting hover. "She is going to wait for him," was all he said as they arranged themselves in the back of the vehicle as it sped them back to the motel.

Later that night Sydney waited in the darkness for Sergeant Jerome Adeane. The meeting place was a darkened alleyway beside the harbour, no light penetrated beyond several metres into the mouth of the small lane way between several large warehouses. "You wanted to see me Cue Ball?" the sergeant.

"Yes, Jerome, as a friend tonight, not as a soldier," Sydney smiled sadly at the Kiwi captain.

"It's about Clinton isn't it?" the man asked.

"He is going to need friends, Jerome, strong friends. Already he has killed twice today," Sydney said softly and the sudden hiss of breath from Jerome was not unexpected.

"Who? Where?" exclaimed Jerome.

"Scum and here," Sydney replied. The fiercely strong man stepped aside and allowed the light from the small torch he held play over the bodies of two men that lay beside a manhole cover that had been dragged aside to reveal a dark opening beneath it.

"That is how they got to Cassandra," Jerome said after giving the bodies a cursory inspection. The two men had been strangled, a belt lay beside the bodies and Jerome noted that one of the men's trousers was missing one. Sydney nodded.

"Where is he now?" asked Jerome, very worried about the man that led his men in the secret operations they carried out for the military.

"Down there," Sydney said quietly then grabbed Jerome as it appeared that he was going to follow his captain. "No Jerome, there is no-one else down there, no-one alive anyway."