Rebound Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Na." I said. "But next time I meet a guy and go home with him two minutes later can you try a bit harder? Do that over protective 'absolutely NOT Nate' thing you do. I ah... I really should listen to that." Russell grunted. "He kicked me out and I ran into his girlfriend outside of the lifts." I said. Not the worst of it, but he wasn't quite the right person to hear the whole story. I could hear Russell trying not to laugh.

"Oh god, dude." He said softly. "You actually, truly have the worst taste in men. I almost can't believe you like Jude. I'm almost starting to think it's a good idea." I laughed. "You will come back Nate? Let me be that annoying over protective brother and check you're ok."

"Ok." I sighed. "Thanks."

---

"Nate's back!" Russell waved vaguely at Jude and the others. They all glanced at each other before smiling at me too widely and greeting me with enthusiasm. Gee, thanks Russ. I looked at him and he shrugged. Yeah, like he didn't tell them some sob story about what a fucking moron I am. I mumbled something about going to the bathroom and brushed past them.

I'd just have to get over it. The last thing I needed right now was a bunch of people seeing me cry all over Russell because I was a stupid whore. I cleaned myself up. You know, with the right guy there's something fucking sexy as hell about his load leaking out of your ass. With this guy I felt nauseous. But I did it, trying not to think about how long I was taking, and eventually I returned to the group with a spring in my step and a smile on my face. I accepted the drink Russell handed me gratefully and slunk onto a stool and tried to distract myself with my phone. I glanced up as Jude sat opposite me.

"You ok?" I glared at him and he flinched as he saw my face. Oops. He didn't come over to tell you off, Nate. Be nice.

"I'm fine. What exactly did Russell tell everyone?" I grumbled. Jude shrugged.

"Said you had a bad date. You looked like hell when you came in. Figured maybe it was worse than a bad date." I smiled a little.

"Yeah." I sipped on my beer. "Like... a really fucking awful bad date." I grinned and relaxed as Jude smiled at me. "That's kind of my thing though." I winked and Jude rolled his eyes. He stretched out and looked at me with a sigh. Ooh. I know that look. I get it like 7 times a day from Russell. I frowned at him as he leant back in. "Are you about to give me some unsolicited advice?" I asked. Jude laughed and turned a little pink.

"Na." He said. "I also just had a bad date. I was going to commiserate." I smiled at him.

"Bet mine was worse." He raised his eyebrows.

"Eh..." He winced. "I dunno." I raised my eyebrows.

"Had a girlfriend." Jude smiled smugly.

"Surprise threesome with a cuckquean." My eyes widened.

"Surprise threesome?! Oh my god! Did you fuck her?" Jude laughed and motioned for me to keep it down.

"No I didn't fuck her!" He laughed. "I stormed out." He said slowly. "I was really upset. I'm still feeling a little..."

"Used?" I suggested. Jude caught my eye and he frowned a bit. His hand slowly drifted to mine as we held each other's gaze.

"I think I'm cursed." He said slowly. I couldn't help but smile, and I brushed my hair out of my eyes.

"Fucking tell me about it." I moved my hand a fraction closer to his, unsure if he would notice. "What is it about me? I seem to attract the WORST guys. I'm starting to feel broken." My voice, embarrassingly, shook a little and to my surprise I found Jude was hooking his legs around mine under the table. My heart started to beat faster.

"Nate." He smiled at me. "It's not that you attract the worst guys. You attract everyone, ok? The mean ones are just pushier and get to the front of the queue first." I laughed.

"Yuh-huh. Please direct me to this queue." I gestured around the bar. Jude had a small smile on his face and he raised his eyebrows a fraction as I looked at him. Oh. Oh, Jude. I started to blush as he looked at me, with that small smile on his face.

"I really wish I hadn't gone on a date tonight." He said slowly. "Should have gone with my first instinct." His eyes flashed as he grinned at me, leaning in a fraction. Oooh. My chest got warm as I looked at him and my mouth felt dry.

"Which was...?" I led him on, reflecting his movements and moving in... when out of nowhere Ethan and Logan were sitting between us, glaring at Jude. I flinched in surprise. Jude sighed and inched away from me, giving them each a really firm gaze. I followed all the eyes as they seemed to talk to each other silently. I'm pretty good at reading people. I grinned to myself. Huh. They were pulling the 'stop hitting on Nate' card. Which meant he'd said something about me. I smiled at him shyly. I wonder how long he'd been into me? Forever? Or just since he split up? And he obviously knew I was into him because I am the world's least subtle person. Jude glanced at me and an expression of longing crossed his face. I grinned. Oh god, I loved it when he looked at me like that. But his friends didn't. I sighed as they directed the conversation to houseplants, because they're all adults and apparently that's something adults care about, and I was insanely bored. With Russell on my end and these guys on his we so weren't going home together. Which I suppose I didn't need. Not tonight. I wanted him when I was feeling warm and safe and when I was sure Jude knew how to read consent properly. And I wanted him to want me, really really want me, not just want a pretty hole to get over his ex with. I wanted someone who'd fuck me over and over, and switch, and still joke with me, and someone who liked me, really liked me. I felt myself growing warmer. Oh. I wanted a boyfriend. And Jude... was not a good candidate for that. For so many reasons.

----

Jude

----

Russell sighed and bit his lip as he hung up his phone and returned to us. He slumped over on the stool beside me and stared at his phone

"Nate's on his way." He said. "Um. He sounds a little upset." I felt my heart melting. Fuck's sake, Nate. Just go out with a nice guy. Why was his type apparently 'total douche'? Russel smiled as he read my expression. "Yep." He said. "I think that too. Anyway, you'll cheer him up." He said with a smirk. "Just not too much." He warned quietly. I raised my eyebrows.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked. Russell grinned at me.

"Oh Jude." He said. "We both know you know what I mean." I found I was blushing. Oops. Nate's total inability to play anything cool must be rubbing off on me. I smiled at Russell. He was a really good brother. At least I knew Nate had him.

When Nate arrived he glanced at everyone and made a beeline for the bathroom before quietly accepting a drink from Russel. He was smiling and looked lighthearted, but I could read him ok these days. Oh, Nate. Just fall for me. I thought silently. I'll buy you dinner first at least.

I drew him in to talk to me and we began to exchange bad date stories. He didn't tell me much and I didn't pry. But as I looked at him, and he brushed his hair off his face and my heart started thumping heavily- I started flirting in spite of everything. And he was so game. The electricity between us was crackling in the air as we inched closer to each other... Only we were interrupted because apparently my friends have a sixth sense for cockblocking. They're very good at it. Eventually, once they must have decided they'd eased up the tension, I found myself alone with Nate again. He was fiddling on his phone and his head seemed to be very far away. He yawned and stretched out and I blinked as I saw he had a bellybutton piercing. Fuck that was hot. He looked at me and blinked.

"I'm going home." He said with a small sigh. "I'm exhausted. See you Monday." I smiled and glanced at my phone. Huh, time had really slipped away.

"Ah shit. It is late. I should be going too."

"Where do you live again?" He asked. "I can drop you in the uber." I glanced at him, but he really didn't mean anything by that. He wasn't smiling or blushing or being cute. Aw, he's too sweet, he really is. No wonder he gets himself into so much trouble.

"Na, I'm ok." I said slowly. "I'm nearby anyway."

"Oh, I thought you were..." Nate's winced. "Oh. I guess you've moved out huh?" I sighed.

"Yep. I'm in a hotel just around the corner."

"Oh, huh, lame." Nate said. He looked at me thoughtfully. "I have a spare room at the moment. Alex is away." He said that so casually. He shrugged at me. "If you need a place to stay. For free I mean." I widened my eyes- but like the uber, he really wasn't suggesting anything at all. He was just a nice guy. I stared at him and he frowned as he looked at me. "Uh... you don't have to." He said. I swallowed.

"Nate." I said quietly. "Uh. You don't think that's kind of a bad idea?" He suddenly turned pink as the penny dropped. He cleared his throat.

"No." He said with a sly smile. "It's a great idea. I'm close to work, you need a place, you like dogs, I like company." And I like you and you like me, I didn't add. Nate grinned and his eyes twinkled. "You really should think about it." He said. "I'm a terrible cook and with Alex away I'm practically starving to death." I laughed.

"Oh I see. So this isn't for free."

"Cheaper than a hotel though." He grinned and stood up. "I mean it Jude, least I can do for you. Think about it." And he bounced away to say goodbye to Russel with a real spring in his step.

-----

Monday

----

"Right." I cornered Ryan as soon as I spotted him. He looked at me seriously.

"Right." He said in agreement, game for whatever I was about to throw at him. I really like that about Ryan. He's so... Earnest. I looked at him firmly.

"I have it bad." I confessed. "I had a shitty date on Friday and now all I can think about is Nate. You have to keep him away from me." Ryan laughed.

"Aw Jude." He said. "Have you tried Grindr? I never have, but I hear it's not all bad." I grumbled as I folded my arms tight across my chest.

"Ugh." I said. "You know, I don't think one night stands with sluts is my thing. Is there like a gay ok cupid?" Ryan shrugged.

"No idea, but I feel the same way about aps. Maybe you should find a gay hobby."

"What the fuck is a gay hobby?"

"I dunno." Ryan said thoughtfully. "My only hobby is the gym." He pondered that. "Ummmm.... Pottery?" I laughed.

"Yeah. No. Plus, what are the fucking chances Nate does pottery?"

"Christ, you're right. Nothing creative." He leant on the wall and thought about it as I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Well, where did you meet Sam?" Ryan frowned at me.

"What do you mean?" He said. He gestured to my desk. "He used to work there and I used to..." He blushed. "Shit. I guess that's not the best story to help you find someone else." He laughed awkwardly.

"Also proof that office romances can work out..." I said slowly. Ryan sighed.

"Nate's like ten years younger..."

"6 years!" I corrected him hotly. Ryan shrugged.

"You make bank, and he's earning a hair above minimum wage."

"So? I'm not into him because of his money."

"Maybe he's into you because of yours." I glared at Ryan.

"Have you MET him? He doesn't give a shit about money!" Ryan sighed and conceded that point.

"You're his boss." He said. "That's not a great start."

"Not directly." I said. "Also wasn't Sam your boss?"

"That's different." He muttered. "We met before that."

"So did Nate and I!"

"Ok, ok, but really, the main reason Jude... you just came out of a really long relationship. Give it a couple of months ok? Especially if you want something serious. I dunno. I just worry that you... I'm sorry Jude, I'm worried Nate will end up really hurt. It's not fair to him." I sighed.

"I know." I grumbled. "So I really need your help. Because every time I see him I end up flirting in spite of myself, and you know Nate- he flirts like it's his job."

"Does he?" Ryan said. "He never flirts with me." I winced.

"Even worse if it's just me." Ryan patted my shoulder.

"I'll do my best to help." He sighed. "Although, honestly...." He sighed. "Well. We'll see anyway."

-----

He did a great job, to his credit. He shadowed Nate all week, and I barely saw either of them, which was an absolute relief. Nate always waved at me whenever he rushed past me, but he always seemed to be moving and never stopped to chat.

I hoped he was doing ok. I'd really meant to be holding his hand while he adjusted, but I was too scared I'd end up... actually holding his hand. But I missed talking to him. I missed him a lot, actually. He used to light up my day with his smile. Aw Jude. Get it together. Find a gay hobby. Whatever the shit that might be.

---

Friday

---

Jude

---

A whole week of not having to talk to Nate and maybe my crush was fading? I didn't go to sleep thinking about him, that's progress right? Maybe I could be an adult after all.

Of course, the minute you let your guard down... somehow he managed to run into me when neither of us were at our desks on Friday. His face lit up as he opened the door and he beamed as he saw me.

"Jude!" He said, delighted. "I've missed you! How are you?" I frowned at him and felt myself grow red as I awkwardly looked away and stared at the wall in front of me. You know. It really shouldn't be charming, the fact that he's an utter airhead, but it is. I coughed and glanced back at Nate and he suddenly turned red and whirled around as he finally realised he was standing in the middle of a bathroom, watching me pee into a urinal. "Sorry!" He squeaked. "I'm going to ask you that again, somewhere more... I... sorry Jude." He sprinted out of the bathroom and in spite of myself, I smiled as I watched him go.

----

He caught me again when he was leaving for the night. He paused as he passed my desk and grinned at me.

"Look, I can let myself out now!" He snapped his keycard at me. I rolled my eyes as he sat on my desk and slowly started to take his hair down. Crap, don't do that. I was just getting over you. Take your damn hair somewhere else. I looked away. "I've missed you." He said. "I guess I thought you'd be helping me. Not that Ryan's not great. But you know." I glanced at him. Yeah, Nate. I know. I leaned back and rubbed my eyes.

"You off now then? Me too." I stood up and stretched out and grabbed my stuff. "You wanna grab a beer?" Nate blinked at me and paused in detangling his hair.

"Like... a beer?" He asked quietly. "Or...."

"A beer." I said firmly. But I held his eye as he looked at me, and we smiled at each other.

---

"Ryan says you're born for this." I said as we settled in a booth in a shitty local bar down the road. I ran my eyes over him when he wasn't looking. He wore real shirts to work, ones with sleeves and buttons, and he'd rolled up his sleeves and shaken his hair all over his shoulders. He'd gone from office appropriate to looking once again like he'd just walked off set for some glossy magazine. Nate bit his lip.

"Well... I guess it's pretty straightforward." He said. "I mean, you were right it's mostly just emails and getting people coffee." He shrugged.

"He said you have the whole office eating out of your hand." I laughed. "Which I noticed, actually, everyone raves about you." Nate blushed and looked down at the table.

"They're just being nice." He muttered. "Anyway, Ryan said your workload got really bad this week?" He looked up at me and rested his chin in his hands. "Can I help at all? Who's helping you with the inputting I was doing before? I can make time if that's back on your plate?" I laughed at his eagerness.

"I'm doing fine." I said. "And you should take it easy while you can. You'll be overworked in no time, trust me." Nate laughed.

"I hope so." He said with a small smile. "I'm actually a bit bored. But don't tell anyone."

"Promise." I laughed at him. He grinned and relaxed a bit into the booth. I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding as I watched his shoulders fall backwards. My phone began to ring and I glanced at it. Weird. The hotel. I picked up with an apology to Nate.

-----

Nate

-----

Jude hung up and stared at the table, his cheeks red. Weird, normally I'm the one lighting up like Rudolph's nose at the drop of a hat.

"You good?" I asked him. He winced and ran his fingers through his hair.

"I've... been kicked out of the hotel." He said slowly. I stifled a laugh.

"Really? Jude! What did you do? Like... trash the room?" He chuckled and shook his head.

"No I was... um...." He shook his head again and avoided my eye. "Smoking. Inside. I thought with the window open and the smoke alarm covered I'd be ok... but...." My mouth fell open and I felt myself kick him under the table.

"Jude! Are you like 16?? Come on!"

"I know!" He put his hands up in surrender. "I know. I've been... a little... I dunno. Not myself. Since.... You know." My face fell. Poor Jude. He seems like he'd have it all together you know. Even at work he still has his hair all combed properly, and his belt and his shoes matching, and everything in on time. But of course he wasn't ok. And I guess smoking in hotel rooms wasn't the worst thing he could be doing.... Still.

"Well, anyway, I guess that's you with me for a bit." I said lightly. "You can smoke outside."

"Huh?" Jude looked at me blankly.

"I told you, I have a spare room." I grinned at him. "I'll set it up tonight, you can come round with your stuff." Jude stared at me. But his brain wasn't totally functioning. I could tell, because he just... nodded quietly.

----

"Hey." He said quietly as I opened the door.

"Hey!" I grinned, and was bowled into his arms by Aioli, an adult Samoyed who was staying with me for a couple of weeks. I laughed as Jude caught me and wrapped his arms around me. Thank you Aioli, you wonderful beast. Jude set me upright and laughed. Thank God. He'd been so distant and moody. It was so nice to hear him laugh properly. "That's Aioli." I introduced them to each other. "She's annoyed because I am like, really late for taking her for a walk." Jude smiled and knelt down and started playing. My heart began to melt as I watched them fool around for a minute, Aioli getting slobber all over Jude's nice suit. Jude glanced up eventually and caught my eye. "You wanna come on the walk?" I asked. Jude nodded and stood up with a yawn. I looked him over. Hmmm. He had big dark shadows under his eyes, and he wasn't standing up straight. He was pale, and red eyed. I bit my lip. "Better idea- we walk Aioli together tomorrow morning and right now you get settled?" Jude smiled at me gratefully.

"Yeah, maybe that's a good idea."

"You should have a bath." I gestured to the bathroom. "There's all my nice soap and candles in there. Just avoid Alex's stuff, not that you'd touch it anyway because it's all gross straight guy shit. I'll get it started. You can put your bags in here." I grabbed one of his bags and he followed me mutely to my room. Ok, I'd originally meant he could stay in Alex's room, but then I felt kind of bad because I hadn't exactly asked Alex, and I figured maybe Jude could just have my room and I'd sleep on the couch. Jude glanced around and smiled.

"This your room?" He asked. I shrugged in acknowledgement. Jude smiled at me. "Does Aioli sleep in here?" He gestured to the dog bed at the end of the bed.

"Ah... yeah, but I'll drag that out..."

"Don't you dare." Jude grinned. "Just Aioli right now?"

"Yeah, house is a bit quiet." A cat suddenly appeared and ran up my back. "Ow, fuck!" I swore. "Oh and I guess the twins are here- Paprika." I gestured to the cat on my shoulder. "Cardamom will be around. He hates strangers though." Jude smiled and reached for my shoulder, petting the cat that had settled there. "Here." I handed him Paprika. "I'll start running that bath."

123456...9