Rebound Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Aioli insisted on helping me and whining, because I really had left it way too long for a walk, and I tried to placate her as I lit some candles and pulled out my nice stuff. I showed Jude to the bathroom and he sighed as he sat down on the toilet and stretched.

"You're an angel, Nate." He said. "Thank you."

"It's no big." I grinned. "Alright. I'll see you in an hour."

------

I'd just got in the bath when the door opened a fraction and Nate's tattooed arm reached around the door with a fluffy robe.

"Might be a bit small." He said. "But I thought you might want something other than a suit to put on and I didn't want to go through your stuff. Anyway, I'll lock the front door, but there's a spare key in the bowl in the hallway, it's the red one, ok, bye Jude!" He closed the door and I could hear him talking to the big fluffy dog as they went for a walk. I lay back- the bathtub was a little small for me, probably the perfect size for Nate, and closed my eyes with a sigh. Man, a glass of wine and a cigarette and I'd be in heaven. Not that I'd ever smoked in a bathtub. Actually that sounds like way more trouble than it's worth. I smiled to myself and let myself relax. I closed my eyes, and before I knew it, I was asleep.

I woke up to the smell of onions and a dog licking my face. I laughed as I gently pushed her off me and chided her kindly. She was very excited to make a new friend, and seemed a lot less whiny now that Nate had worn her out a bit.

"Crap." I heard Nate yell. "Is she in there? Sorry, Jude!"

"It's ok, I'm a prune anyway, I'll be out in a second." Not helped by the dog wrapping herself around my legs and jumping up on me as I tried to get dry. I tried on the dressing gown Nate had leant me and grunted. Hmmm. Barely acceptable, but I'd get changed right away.

I ran into Nate in the hallway and both of us just stopped and stared. He'd changed, and was wearing a pair of shorts so short his ass was basically hanging out and a singlet with deep cut outs in the arms. I mean, he may have well have been naked, that was like almost all his skin on display. And his body was... well I knew it was hot. But that was the most I'd ever seen of his abs and his arms... and christ, his legs.... And he was totally on the same wavelength, looking at me hungrily in his robe which barely did up around my chest. I almost laughed as he suddenly turned away from me and waved vaguely in the direction of the kitchen.

"I'm... trying to cook." He said. "Don't expect much." Aw, I'd really been hoping to cook for him, until I fell asleep in the bath. I laughed and went to get changed and rejoin him in the kitchen in a much more modest t-shirt and sweatpants. He grinned at me and offered me a bottle of wine. Cheap, probably shitty stuff, but I was grateful.

"Thanks Nate." He looked over his shoulder with a smile.

"Maybe if you're drunk you won't notice how bad this is." He said with a grin.

"What is it?"

"Stir fry?" He looked dubiously at the pan. It smelled good. I poured myself some wine and smiled at him.

"Can I help?"

"Can you take over?" He widened his eyes. "Seriously I'm not joking, I can't cook." I laughed and stood up to join him.

"Looks fine so far?" I took the spatula off him and stirred it. "What's in here?"

"Onions and a packet of frozen vegetables." Nate blinked at me. "Rice in there..." He pointed to a pot that was simmering with the lid on. I smiled at him and touched his shoulder.

"You're doing perfectly. Did you have some meat you wanted to add?" Nate bit his lip.

"Sorry, no meat in the whole house- unless you count the dog food... Sorry, I'm vegan..."

"Oh no, that's fine. Glad you told me I was going to add some eggs." Nate wrinkled his face.

"Ok, well, actually I eat eggs." He coughed. "But only because Betsy and Bertha insist on laying them." I smiled at him.

"You have chickens?"

"Oh yeah." He gestured vaguely outside. "Chickens and bees. That's why we have eggs and honey, although I'll be honest, we don't have a cow so I can't explain the butter..." He caught my eye and smiled. "Ok, maybe not vegan- although like, I sometimes am." I laughed.

"I really don't mind." I said. "I'm not going to hold you to anything." He smiled and poured himself a glass and hopped up on the bench beside me. I glanced at him. "Smooth transition." I said. "I'm making this then?" Nate grinned at me.

"Please?" He whined. I rolled my eyes.

"Nope." I decided. "Where's your pantry?" Nate glared at me, but he wasn't really mad, he was smiling, and he slipped back off the bench and pulled out a few drawers for me. I flicked through the bottles and herbs and looked at him. "So your flatmate can cook." I said. "You're well stocked." Nate shrugged.

"Yeah. Alex can cook." He moved close to me and watched me select a few things. I explained what they were as I added them to the vegetables, and he obediently stirred the pan. I added the rice and explained to Nate how to get it crispy and we sipped on our wine and stood too close to each other and talked about why he didn't cook- because he lived with his mum for way too long and couldn't sit still for long enough once he moved out to properly learn, and talked about why I did- because I grew up with a thousand foster parents who all worked too many jobs and someone had to be the grown up, and eventually he helped me plate it on a really nice set of ceramic bowls. I inspected them.

"These are stunning." Nate smiled.

"Thanks, I made them." I groaned.

"I should have put money on that." I laughed. "You do pottery then?" Nate shook his head.

"Na, I can. I don't like DO IT, but I hang out at the Wellington Pottery Studio sometimes." He sat down opposite me.

"These are really good for someone who doesn't 'do' it." Nate frowned.

"Na, they're a little heavy at the base." He said. I rolled my eyes.

"Nate, one day you better learn to take a compliment." He laughed.

"Ok." He said. "One day I will. This tastes so good. Thank you."

"Tomorrow we'll do something Mexican." I said. "Loads of easy vegan Mexican recipes." Nate grinned.

"Amazing." He said. "I'll get so fat with you here." I laughed.

----

He made tea after dinner and I helped him with the washing up, even though he told me that was unfair because if it wasn't for me we would have been eating rice swimming in soy sauce.

"That could be nice, you heard of Oyakodon?" Nate shook his head and I laughed. "Actually if you're vegan you really don't want to be eating Oyakodon." Nate shrugged.

"I did mention I'm a pretty half assed vegan."

"Well, maybe I can try it with tofu for you." Nate smiled at me.

"Can I hire you to cook for me when you find your own place?" I laughed. I almost told him he could come over any time, but he yawned before I had a chance.

"Christ, I've done nothing but sit in front of a desk all week and I'm exhausted." He sighed. "Alright, I'm going to brush my teeth. You can stay up." I glanced at where he'd be sleeping, inches from where I was sitting. No, bad idea.

"I'm pretty tired too." I said. "Thanks again for propping me up."

"That's ok." Nate smiled.

His bedroom was covered in protest posters and art he'd collected from across the world, and I smiled as I inspected the walls, and his bookshelves, and almost his drawers- before I realised that was crossing the line. The dog did come to sleep on the bed, which I was delighted by, and I curled up. Something about being warm, in a room that wasn't devoid of personality, with a full stomach and the dog I'd always wanted in my arms meant I had the best sleep in months.

----

Saturday

----

Jude

----

I woke up and stretched out and grinned at the dog, who was whining at me. Nate knocked on the door.

"Are you decent?" He called out. "It's breakfast for Aioli, then I was gonna take her for a walk." I drew the blankets up around me.

"I'm in bed." I answered, and I guess that was good enough, because Nate swung the door open and Aioli bounded up and jumped all over him.

"Calm down!" He laughed. "You're bigger than I am, dummy." He laughed and nodded at me before leading Aioli out for breakfast. I bit my lip as I watched him go. Did he... ever wear... actual clothes at home? Shoot.

But still. I smiled to myself. I did it. A whole night at his and I didn't even kiss him. We'd be fine. I'm a goddamn hero.

Of course. There was an entire weekend to get through.

----

Nate

-----

My back was in so much pain. Ok, I guess I'd have to take Alex's bedroom after all, this was not going to work indefinitely. I tried yoga to stretch out the kinks... first time for everything, before I could hear Aioli whining and went to get her breakfast. Jude's eyes bugged open as I opened the door. Ah, yeah, Nate... maybe, since you're not living alone, you could stand to put on something a little less... revealing? My loungewear is mostly long singlets, and crop tops, and short shorts... but then again, I kind of liked the way he was looking at me. Like he couldn't look away. God, I was going to make his life a living hell, I could tell. I smirked to myself as I made breakfast for us and the dog.

Jude was trying really hard not to look at me too much as I sat up at the bench and watched him eat. He glanced at me.

"Um. You just gonna watch?" He asked. I shrugged.

"Usually my breakfast is liquid." I said, holding out the mug of coffee. "Am I being weird?"

"Yeah." Jude grinned at me. "You're watching me eat. It's disconcerting." I hopped off the bench and went to scrub out the pan I'd made his eggs with.

"Sorry." I laughed. He caught my arm as I walked past.

"Ah... did you really just... make this for me?" He asked, turning a little pink. I grinned at him and shrugged him off.

"You looked tired last night." I said. "And fresh eggs on toast is like, super easy good host points so you'll cook for me tonight." I looked over my shoulder at him and he rubbed his neck. Huh. I'd never expected Jude to blush like that. I grinned and turned back to the washing up. "I'm heading to the shelter in half an hour." I said as I scrubbed the cast iron. "So out of your hair all day."

"Hmmm." He grunted. I glanced at him, and swung my hair off my face.

"You could come?" I offered. He looked at me with a sigh. "There's a Rottweiler puppy in. He kinda reminds me of you." Jude raised his eyebrows.

"Aren't they... kind of aggressive?" He frowned at me. I folded my arms and shook my head.

"Fiercely loyal." I corrected him. "And smart." He smiled.

"What would Nate be?" He wondered out loud. "A Labrador? Smart, friendly, adorable?" I laughed.

"Flattered. I'd be a Beagle. They're always getting into trouble." Jude smiled at me.

"Not if I have anything to say about it." he said. I rolled my eyes and grabbed his plate off him.

"See?" I raised my eyebrows at him. "Rottweiler. Excellent guard dogs." Jude stood up suddenly and mumbled something as he left the kitchen. I glanced at Aioli. "Oops." I muttered to her. "I think I just went a little too hard on the flirting." I stared at the seat where Jude had been all of two seconds ago. "Although he was too, right?" I stared at Aioli. She panted at me. Useless.

----

Jude took himself out for dinner that night- I mean, I assume he was actually out on a date but either way he came home at a reasonable hour. I watched him from the couch as he let himself in, and dropped the spare key on the counter. On Sunday I'd agreed to go to an Art Exhibition with Russell and Shona, and as impolite as it was not to invite Jude, that would mean I'd have to admit to Russell I'd invited Jude to stay with me... and we could really save that. Jude didn't seem to mind. Actually, if I was reading him correctly, and I think I was... he was kind of relieved.

I arrived home late, and he'd made dinner and left a note.

Enjoy it, I'm teaching you how to cook tomorrow night, Nate so no more free meals x

PS It's vegan, mostly, like you

I grinned at AIoli and showed her the note.

"He really likes me." I told her. "He has it bad. I just need to convince him that it's a good idea." I sighed as I looked towards my bedroom door. "Which would be a lot easier if I actually thought it WAS a good idea."

-----

Monday

----

Nate

----

We had a tiny argument about getting to work. He wanted to uber, because he'd left his bike in storage, which was dumb becuase I had the Prius.

"Just come in with me."

"In your car?"

"Well it's fucking stupid to get two cars going tot he same place! Do you care about the environment at all?"

"Nate, is this really the hill you want to die on?" Jude sighed. "Look. What are people going to think when we get out of the same car?" I wrinkled my nose. Oh yeah. I guess I hadn't got that far.

"Car pool." I muttered. "Let's just say I picked you up because it was on the way." Jude frowned. But he gave in eventually. We got to work early and I went to say Hi to Russell and grab a coffee for everyone. I'd noticed that people in offices will basically melt and do anything you ask if you're constantly buying them treats. Kind of like dogs, actually. Russell glared at me as Jude waved and got in the elevator.

"Is there any reason you're arriving at work together?" He asked. I shook my head, trying to look as calm and not guilty as possible.

"Bumped into each other outside." I said. Russel leant on the counter and shook his head.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're a shitty liar?" I laughed.

"Yeah, actually. Anyway, gotta gap..."

"Gotta wait for your coffee." He said firmly. "So you caved already? Not that I blame you entirely, Jude's also an adult and I'm sure he also knows it's a bad idea." I sighed.

"He's just staying at mine for a bit."

"He's.... Staying... at.... Oh Jesus Christ Nate. Why?!"

"I...." I blushed. "Ok, this doesn't sound believable, but I felt bad for him. I wasn't thinking it through. He got kicked out of his hotel, and I just... I thought it might be nice for him to be with a friend." I rolled my eyes as I heard myself speak. "Ok, I hear it, underneath that there was definitely a layer of maybe I'd get to see him shirtless.... But...." Russell sighed.

"Actually that does sound believable." He said. "You're such a dork." He handed me two trays of coffee. "I give it 48 hours until you cave. Here's your coffee."

"Thanks." I said. "48 hours! That's a lot of faith!" I laughed and waved to him. Way too much faith Russ. You know me better than that.

----

Jude

----

I stood up to leave for the day, later than I'd like but without Nate as my personal assistant I was getting behind again. To my surprise he appeared at the lifts beside me and smiled.

"Were you waiting for me?" I asked. Nate shrugged.

"For environmental reasons." He grinned. "We should pick up your bike."

"It won't fit in the Prius."

"Can I ride it then? I've always wanted to ride one of those fancy e-bikes." I winced at the idea of Nate anywhere near my $5000 baby. No doubt I'd find him wrapped around a tree with that big goofy apologetic smile on his face. But beyond that....

"I can't actually drive." I admitted. Nate started to laugh.

"Really? Huh." I rolled my eyes. "You don't seem the type." He murmured. "You're so put together."

"I didn't have time to learn when I was a kid." I mumbled. "And then my priority was getting out of the system, and getting an education, and getting a job... and learning to drive just slipped down the list." Nate smiled at me.

"You weren't tempted with that sweet Maserati?" I laughed.

"Not a car guy." I glanced at Nate. "Are you?" He shrugged.

"Kinda? But I try to ignore it because you know...." He rolled his eyes and pulled the peace sign at me with a very cute wink. "Environment loving hippy here, it's off brand." I laughed. "Where's your bike?" He asked. "We really should get it, can you ride it home or is it like out in Kaiwharawhara?"

"Na, top of Thorndon Quay. I'll race you home."

"You'll win." Nate grinned. "This baby is gutless." He laughed. "Wish I could spring for a Tesla." I smiled at him. Wish I could buy you a Tesla. I bought Levi the Maserati, after all.

----

To my surprise, I did actually beat Nate home, which was a little awkward, since I didn't have a key. I sat on the porch, waiting for him, scrolling on my phone, and after trying to talk myself out of it for ten minutes, gave in and lit a cigarette.

----

Nate

---

Jude was having a cigarette on the porch which he hastily tried to stub out as I approached. I laughed at him.

"Don't worry. In fact, blow the smoke my way." He sighed and wrapped his hands around his knees and lit another one as I moved his bike to the garage.

"Shit you must have gunned it." I whistled. "Can't wait to have a go on this." I caught Jude's eye. He smiled thinly. Yeah, I wouldn't want me anywhere near a crazy fun expensive e-bike either. I sat beside him and looked at his packet of cigarettes, debating if I was gonna ask for one or not. He followed my gaze and sighed.

"It's bad at the moment." I swallowed and looked at him.

"It'll get better." I said. He looked at me. He looked and I looked, and then his hand was gently tucking my hair behind my ear and my heart was beating faster and I couldn't hear myself think. He leant in, and my eyes started to close, and then suddenly I heard him laugh, and I blinked as he pulled away, and squeezed my hand, which was somehow in his.

"Um. I'm going to finish this." He raised his hand. "And brush my teeth." I bit my lip.

"I don't.... Really mind." I said. Jude smiled and cautiously reached for my hair, running his fingers through a strand.

"I do." He said.

"Ok." I smiled at him and glanced at where our fingers were entwined. I took a deep breath, and slowly moved until I was tucked in close against his chest, his arm around me, his fingers touching mine the whole time. He rested his chin on me and kissed the top of my head.

"Nate..." I sighed and looked up at him.

"Hey, we tried not to." I said to reassure him. His eyes crinkled. "Not our fault we're Bella and Edward." Jude shook his head.

"Huh? Who and who?"

"Oh my god, what is wrong with everyone?!" I laughed. "Uh. Darcy and Elizabeth... except less witty.... Romeo and Juliet.... only less tragic... Rose and Jack... Anthony and Cleopatra...Tristian and Isolde, christ, why are most of these so sad?..." Jude wrapped his hand around my head and suddenly I was facing him, and his eyes were closed, and his lips were pressed against mine... and I moaned and went limp in his arms as he parted my lips with his tongue...

Maybe that kiss lasted seconds. Maybe it lasted hours. I was lost. I'd never been kissed like that- desperately, and passionately....

"Sorry Nate." I blinked as Jude's deep voice brought me back to life. "I really did want a mint at least... but I was worried you'd never shut up." I smiled at him and started to laugh as he smiled back. "Anyway, I know what you mean." He squeezed my shoulders tight. "Richard Gere and Julia Roberts."

"Gee, thanks." I rolled my eyes at him. He laughed.

"I would have kissed you weeks ago." He said, resting his head on mine, and slowly moving his hands to hold me properly. "And then, at the same time, I never meant to kiss you...."

"I know." I reached for his cigarette- now that I'd had a taste I really wanted more, but he batted me away with a firm look. "It's... cool, Jude." I said. "I..." I felt tongue tied. I wanted to tell him we were made for each other, like all those fictional couples I'd just mentioned, and I also wanted him to think I was calm, and didn't care way too much, and I also understood why he'd be hesitant to kiss me.... I sighed. "You gonna cook me dinner now?" He glared at me, but his eyes softened as I reached out to stroke his cheek, and he wrapped my hand in his.

123456...9