Recovery 01: Can I Love Again

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I reviewed the gun hearing's invitees' files, selecting four attendees for this quiet social event. My specialty is reading people's inner senses; so I'm hoping to confirm these two days of hearings are seriously dedicated to solving our runaway gun crisis, and not just for show. I want to talk more with you because of your loss from a mass shooting at a Buffalo grocery store, feeling you out for possibly chairing the VP's select committee on ending gun violence.

I had planned to speak in-depth with you during the two days of meetings, possibly asking you to stay in DC a few days longer. The VP and AG are determined to get the President's strong gun control (responsibility) legislation passed during Congress's current session. Our having solid support from a certain type of victim(s) is key for us to succeed with our bold plan.

Unexpectedly, I have a second crisis brewing across the Atlantic. Reviewing your Whitehouse clearance application, I note you're still on a work hiatus from the Buffalo shooting. Also, your previous work was mostly from home, only visiting a USA company office once in a while.

I need to meet an important Danish contact at a NATO base in Munich, Germany. I am on station there for a year at the US Consulate before recently transferring to the Ambassador's DC Office.

So Marsala, "Can you and Tanya take a quick trip to Germany with me on a military transport flight? We'll talk in detail about the US gun violence epidemic on the 9-hour trans-Atlantic flight while Tanya sleeps. Anita and Eleanor are joining me, so they can help entertain Tanya on the long flight. Those two have been my rock(s) since January and I'll give you more details about my life on the trip.

"I'll get us excellent rooms at the VIP Villa on a secure NATO facility and we'll whisk back to Metro DC after 2 or 3 days in Munich. You and Tanya will have a private MBR Suite upstairs, and I will have similar quarters." Anita and Eleanor have GBRs on the main level, where other amenities are found in the Villa."

Marsala looks me in the eye, "Who the hell are you Kenzie, and can you do all that with the snap of your fingers?"

At that very moment, the girls bring Tanya into the small study, so I snap my fingers. "Anita, I need the Munich discussion group online in five minutes!"

Anita nods, "You got it, boss. Hey El, stop loafing and grab some great homemade ice cream for our special guest, Tanya."

Anita informs me the German Ambassador, Colonel Marvel, and Captain Andrews are online. Borden will soon join us, as he needs to move to a secure spot. So, I tell them a little about Marsala and my read on her, she's genuine in her desire to help us pass strong gun control legislation.

I continue noting, Borden wants me in Munich, and I'm inviting Marsala and Tanya to ride along so we can talk openly on the flight to Munich. Both are cleared for the VP/WH residence(s) and reception which suffices for Munich, so we can be wheels up in 72 hours.

As I finish, Borden comes online, "Are you causing trouble again Kenzie?"

I answer, "Du bist voll Borden, mach dich echt du altes Blässhuhn!" (You're full of it Borden, get real you old coot)

Borden, "Ja, und ich liebe dich an Kenzie!" (Yes, and I love you to, Kenzie)

Laughing wickedly, "Okay big mouth enough German. I'll have two guests flying with me to Munich, wheels up in 72, are you committed to downtown in five days?"

Borden, "I'm good Kenzie, and ah, do I know your guests?"

Me quietly," No, it's a mom and daughter and they've had a loss similar to Kris, I'll give you the details in Munich."

Borden, "Okay, Kenzie, I'm onboard, see you soon."

Kenzie, "Do I have the Colonel and Captain's signoff for Munich?"

Colonel Marvel, "Kenzie works her magic again, so everyone onboard?" and they are all yea.

Me closing, "I'll handle the logistics, but asking Marsala to stay in DC for two more days after we're back from Munich. I read Marsala as True Blue, and think she'll be a positive force on the VP/AG gun control proposals, possibly chairing the special select committee."

We're offline, so I turn to Marsala and snap my fingers, "Just Like That!"

She looks hard at me and winks, "Kenzie, niemand mag einen klugen Arsch!" (Kenzie, Nobody Likes A Smart Ass)

Anita, "Ouch!"

STUNNING HAPPENINGS IN EUROPE

Our Military flight lands at the joint GERMAN/NATO base, and we proceed to the secure facility's VIP Villa. I've been opening up with Marsala on instinct, praying I'm correct in assessing her love of life and being in sync with our aggressive gun control legislation plans.

I'd hoped the two of us could talk more on the overseas flight, but there are just too many distractions. As we settle in the Villa, I whisper maybe the two of us can talk later sharing a glass of wine.

Quickly correcting myself, "My apologies Marsala if you do not drink alcohol or like wine."

She responds, "Firstly, we are talking a lot during the next few days. So, if okay, I'm Mars and you're Kenz, dropping the formality. Also, I love a nice glass of Cabernet occasionally, but now rearing Tanya as a widow, it's difficult to find the time."

Okay Mars, "Two MBR suites are upstairs, along with a kitchenette, a small study, and a mini gym. So, you and Tanya take one MBR and I'll take the other. Once Tanya's asleep, we can talk quietly in your sitting room sipping wine. Anita and Eleanor sleep in the downstairs bedrooms, so we can talk openly upstairs."

"I'm certain the Villa support staff has stocked my upstairs lounge with a nice Australian Murray River Cabernet Sauvignon. So, unpack and settle Tanya in, then we'll talk after she's asleep."

Smiling I ask, "Do you have any pressing questions, Mars? I will answer now if you want, or later sipping wine. Also, do you think Tanya might want a sandwich or other bedtime snack?"

"No Kenz, Tanya snacked on goodies during most of the long flight, so her little tummy's full. I'm good for now and we can talk at length later. Tanya's a sound sleeper, so she'll be out like a light for 8 to 10 hours, sleeping little on the long flight. I'll tap on your door when Tanya's sleeping, and remember the wine."

***

I check on Anita and Eleanor, with both settled in for the evening. There're cold cuts, pastries, fruit, and juices in the main kitchen if anyone needs a snack. I quickly check in with Jessica telling her we are at the Villa, and she'll update the Colonel.

I ring Borden, speaking for nearly an hour, but something doesn't feel kosher. We are usually on the same wavelength, but getting details from him tonight is like pulling teeth. He'll arrive at the Villa tomorrow around noon, explaining everything to me in detail then.

I shower, and change into comfortable booty shorts and a top, nodding off until Mars taps on my door. I grab a bottle of Murray Hill Cabernet and stroll to her room. We greet each other with a brief hug, pour two glasses of wine and start chatting.

I share my life story with Mars, including recent issues with my parents and most details of my falling in love with Kris through her death. I also explain my dual role as Chief of the German Ambassador's DC Office, and Colonel Marvel's political attaché. As the Colonel's attaché, I interact with the VP, AG, and JC on occasion. I've served as Colonel Marvels Political Attaché for 15 of the 18 months working for the German Ambassador in Munich and now DC.

Marsala (Mars) tells me about her background growing p in the Seattle area. She studied economics at Seattle Pacific University, where she met her late husband, Daniel. After graduating, Daniel works for a well-known Biotech firm in Boston, which is her first exposure to very frigid weather. Mars consults for an Economic Forum group in Boston, mostly from her home/office. So life's good for them, even after Tanya's birth, with Mars still working remotely while also being a stay-at-home mom.

One year ago, Mars's husband had a one-month assignment in Buffalo taking her and Tanya with him. They stay in an Airbnb and one day after a late lunch, Tanya wants ice cream, so Daniel drives to a nearby grocery store to buy a gallon bucket for the freezer. There was a mass shooting, killing ten people, and he never came back with ice cream.

Mars is devasted and eventually moves back to the Seattle area, where she and Tanya now live. Daniel's company had very good corporate insurance, and Daniel also had high-value personal life insurance policies, so she and Tanya's finances are in good shape. Mars is still in Recovery, and not ready for work yet.

She receives a bulletin describing the two-day congressional hearing on gun responsibility and signs up to attend and speak. Now she is sitting in a Villa on a secure NATO/German military base sipping Cabernet. Mars giggles cutely, "I did not attend a single day of the congressional hearing, nor did I speak. Unbelievable!"

I open up more, "Mars, I am not nor have ever been in the US Military. I have this unique talent for reading people, especially those full of BS. When the VP, AG, or Colonel Marvel meet with groups like NATO or Congressional Committees, they often deploy me as an innocent staffer. I then read the room telling them who is trustworthy and who is subject to flinging horse pooh!"

Adding. "For more accuracy in reading people, I need to be in the room closely interfacing with the group. Looking at the hearing's pre-registration info, I note four persons who seem serious in their commitment to ending the USA's Wild-Wild West attitude toward guns. So, we plan this special reception, including the four-potential witnesses. You're at the top of my list, but I want to read you cold, so initially avoid any contact at the reception. But curiously, you eye me speculatively from the moment you see me.

So I say to myself, "Kenzie, this lady's either trying to pick me up for a hot date or most likely she also reads people well. I set my sights on you, subtly following your movement(s) for an hour, before deciding to strike. So, 72 hours later we're sitting on a sofa in Munich sipping a nice Cabernet. What do you think of them apples, Mars?"

Mars's eyebrows furrow, "For certain, I trust you Kenz, but it's getting late and I'm tiring. So, let's continue this curious talk tomorrow.

***

We finish a late breakfast and are waiting anxiously for Borden. A military car pulls up, and Borden gets out with three girls; one looks 2-3 years old, the next about 7, and the taller girl 12 or 13.

Everyone looks at me, but I don't know what the heck's going on, and turn to ask Borden.

As I look at Borden, the middle girl strolls over to me, smiles, "You Be My Babe Big Sister" handing me a bracelet.

My mind goes blank and the next memory is of many people saying Kenzie, are you there?

I pull myself together, as Borden smirks, "I got you this time!"

I look at the girl again, drawing a mental picture, "Laryssa! Oh my God, pulling her into my arms. I ask everyone to back off and give us time alone. Please have coffee, tea, soda, or juice in the kitchen, and we'll return shortly.

Then I grab, Laryssa, and her two friends, Tanya and Mars, taking them upstairs. I sit the girls on the sofa and give each one a big hug and kiss on the cheek.

I motion for Mars to do the same and then pull Laryssa and Tanya in close, "Tanya and Laryssa, you two are my special girls, okay? Please play with Laryssa's two friends while Mom Mars and I talk. Now hug each other talk, laugh, and sing songs for five minutes."

I rush away dragging Mars, talking a mile a minute. "We have a real problem because these little girls are Ukraine War Refugees. They will quickly attach and bond with anyone nice to them, and I already see the older girl curiously eying you. Also, Laryssa is my love, Kris's baby sister!"

I continue, "This is not fair to you Mars, but I must ask. Can you stay a month in DC, to help me with the girls until they settle in? If I walk away now, I can never look in a mirror again."

I'm shaking badly as Mars pulls me in for a hug, "Remember Kenz, I've been through this type of hell with Tanya dealing with her father's death. So, I'm all in as long as you and the three girls need me."

I ask Mars to sit with the girls, while I explain to Anita, Borden, and Eleanor, Mars and I need most of the day alone with the girls. Maybe we'll have a group dinner tonight around 8:00 pm but must play it by ear for now.

I love Borden dearly and those girls are the best gift he will ever give me. But. we need time alone to start bonding since it's likely they've been through pure hell in the past few months.

I return upstairs, stopping in my tracks because the teenage girl nestles snuggly in Mars's lap. I backtrack, silently bringing my friends up to look at Mars and the slim girl already bonding, which thrills them to no end.

Back downstairs my friends smile as Anita speaks, "Kenzie, the three of us have many things to do in Munich. So you and Marsala take care of the girls all day and tonight. We'll check in tomorrow late morning or early afternoon."

Anita adds, "Phone me when everyone's hungry and I'll deliver a great KFC spread within thirty minutes."

I say okay Anita, "You bring food at 7:30 pm and we'll have the girls ready. They'll be exhausted after eating, so Mars and I'll put them to bed soon after dinner. Unless I ring you differently, this is the KFC dining plan for tonight. We'll bathe the girls and wash their hair at 6:00 pm, then be ready to eat when you come back with the KFC.

***

I quietly go upstairs, seeing Laryssa and Tanya chatting like long-time buds, I know Laryssa speaks good English because her dad said their nuclear and extended family mostly speaks English at home. I do not know if the older and little girl speak English, so it'll be touch and go for a while.

The older slim girl, Ataliya is now fully nestled into Mars's arms and sleeping like a baby. I pick up the little one, Galyna, and sit close to Mars, tears dripping from my eyes. So we sit there and suddenly everything's spooky quiet, then Mars cries, seeing her little Tanya and Laryssa sleeping holding on to each other.

As all four girls nap, I explain to Mars the attachment MOM syndrome these refugee girls have, due to the war horrors. So Ataliya will be like a second skin on her for the next one or two weeks. It will be the same with me and the little one, Galyna, while Tanya/Laryssa already seem as close as bio-sisters.

We slowly wake the girls at 5:00 pm, figuring out the showering/hair-washing process. I volunteer as the inside mom, stripping down to my underwear and moving a small chair in the shower. We start with the little one, Galyna whom I easily bathe and shampoo her hair while sitting.

Next is Tanya and Laryssa, so I bring a 2nd chair and bathe them together. Those two are fully awake and jabbering like crazy, as I bathe their little bodies. I carefully shampoo and condition the two girls' hair, both smiling widely. Then, I pass them on to Mars, who has big fluffy towels to dry them, and a hairdryer laying on the bed.

I sneak a glance at Ataliya, who wakes and quietly watches everything since we start on Tanya and Laryssa. I call her over with my finger since she's not said a word after arriving. Earlier downstairs, Borden quickly warns me she hasn't spoken to anyone since his team picked the girls up from a Ukraine orphanage, but silently responds to Laryssa, so she hears good.

Ataliya sits easily in my lap, while I look her over for bruises, kissing her on both cheeks. I whisper, "Can you speak English sweetie?" while Mars watches closely.

Ataliya looks at Mars, then back at me, slowly nodding yes. I ask her, "Will you please speak a little English for Moms Mars and Kenz?"

Looking a little shy, Ataliya climbs from my lap, and slowly walks across the shower to Mars, hugging her, "I love you, Mom." then turns back into the shower, on my lap, "I love you, Mom."

Both Mars and I try to hold back the tears, now flooding our faces. So then and there, I decide to cancel the rest of my original NATO plans, quickly get the three girls a full health check, and hightail it back home. We enjoy Anita's KFC spread and put the girls in bed at 9:00 pm, with them quickly out like a light.

Sipping a glass of cabernet, I tell Mars my new plan to quickly get the six of us back home to Metro DC. Once we're home, I'll check in with the VP, Colonel, AG, and Wanda, then take a month off from work mostly taking care of the girls. Before I can ask, Mars says I'm in 100% Kenz, since we can tackle the gun legislation issue(s) and your other pressing duties from the townhouse.

***

The six of us, Mars, Tanya, Laryssa, Ataliya, Galyna, and I are now in DC, continuing the girls' healing process. It's called Work In Progress (WIP) at the moment since the GB-Medic assures us all three girls are in good health,

Mars and I need to dedicate ourselves to the girls healing for one or two months. So we decide the first month in the US will be at my four-bedroom place in Metro-DC. We can finalize the girl's State Dept documents and assess their education levels.

Afterward, we'll move to Mars's nice home in Metro-Seattle for a second month. Seattle will be dedicated to relaxing and sightseeing while teaching the girls a bit of USA geography.

Suddenly it hits me, I've shoved my parents to the back burner again, so will talk with Mars about stopping for a week in Athens, Georgia en route to Seattle from DC.

Our month in DC is going great guns as the girls settle in almost like biological sisters. Thirteen-year-old, Ataliya progresses cutely, starting to act as a true elder sister. She helps Mars and I bathe the younger girls, especially loving to do Tanya and Laryssa's hair. Ataliya is still relatively quiet as compared to our two 7-year-old blabbermouths, who do everything together. Galyna, nearly age 3, seems to relish her role as the baby girl, being doted on by everyone.

I visit my DC office twice weekly for a few hours but usually keep in contact via email or phone. Both the VP and Colonel Marvel pauses my attaché duties other than emergencies.

Mars cares for the three older girls, especially working on English vocabulary. So, yours truly is 95% responsible for little Galyna, which I love. Borden routinely updates me on Ukraine, which has been battling Russia mostly to a standstill for nearly eighteen months. Kris's Papa knows Laryssa and her two friends are with me in the US and is pleased.

Mars and I grow closer as friends, working together helping the Ukraine refugee girls and on gun legislation for nearly six weeks. Our friendship starts at the special DC Congressional Reception, four days later we are in Munich welcoming three young Ukrainian girl refugees, one of whom is Kris's baby sister, Laryssa

We are living in my Metro DC Townhouse, acclimating the girls to the US. Only twice during the past six weeks, did Mars and I enjoy a glass of wine when the girls are asleep. We fully dedicate our time to keeping our four girls happy, which includes Mars's bio-daughter, Tanya.

***

So I suggest the two of us dress nicely and enjoy a fun evening out next Friday. Earlier, I mention to Shy/Sly, my possibly needing them to stay overnight with our four girls, so Mars and I can have an adult ladies' night out for dinner. The four girls love being around Shy/Sly, so they will have a fun PJ party, staying up late that Friday night.

We finalize the details and choose a trendy DC Supper Club for our night out. Shy/Sly comes over directly from the office and quickly starts fun and games with Ataliya, Tanya, Laryssa, and Galyna. Sly tells me she'll have pizza and burgers delivered to the security desk later on, so they'll have a fun dinner.