Red Sonja Outmatched Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Throwing back her head, Sonja loosed a primal scream of victory that silenced the arena in a heartbeat. The echoes of her roar reverberated through the stands as she stood bloody and indomitable, her piercing gaze sweeping the stunned spectators. Mere moments later, the crowd came alive again, erupting into raucous cheers and thunderous applause in tribute to her sanguine and unyielding triumph.

* * *

Up in the stands, the governor turned to Deija, his expression grim beneath the shadowed brim of his hat.

"You claimed this poison would leave the She-Devil weakened and weary. Yet she dispatches those beasts as if swatting flies."

He gestured angrily at the arena below, where attendants in blood-stained smocks were dragging away mauled panther carcasses. Sonja stood triumphant amid the gore, chest heaving as she basked in the crowd's rapturous cheers.

"You have failed to deliver on your vow," the governor accused, rotten teeth bared in a sneer. "I paid good coin so your potions would humble that brazen witch before all of Kusan. But she has only grown more bold!"

Deija met his glare coolly, outrage simmering beneath her facade of poise. How dare this scarred worm question her skills? She reminded herself that angry outbursts would not serve the cause.

"Patience, my lord," she purred. "Remember, the cats were not supposed to kill her, just exhaust her. The true test is yet to come. I have saved the best for last." She let her painted nails trail feather-light over the back of his gloved hand.

"Watch and see, the She-Devil's humbling approaches."

Though still dubious, the governor seemed mollified by her cryptic promise. He pulled his hand away with a grunt and turned his attention back to the bloody arena.

Inwardly, Deija seethed. Once this was over, she would demand recompense from the Master for dealing with this fool. For now, she masked her irritation behind a sly, knowing smile. Yet she could not help but feel deeply troubled by the unfolding events, though she refused to show it. The governor's rightful accusations gnawed at her composure. How could Sonja still be battling with such ferocity and focus despite the poison that must be coarsing through her veins by now? She had followed the apothecary's instructions to the letter, thoroughly massaging the jurra oil into every inch of the warrioress' bare skin before her fight. By all accounts, Sonja should be slowed in body and senses, an easy mark for the beasts and whatever opponents followed. Yet she had carved through them like a scythe through wheat.

Deija's brows drew together as she mentally retraced each step for the hundredth time, seeking any error or omission in her administration of the toxins. But she could find none. Unease slithered through her core--had she somehow failed the Master? If so, the consequences did not bear thinking on. Outwardly she maintained her facade, clapping and cheering Sonja's bloody victory along with the rest of the crowd. Her painted lips stretched in an adoring smile as their eyes met once more across the smoky arena, though inside her thoughts churned with uncertainty. When Sonja turned away, Deija nibbled her full bottom lip between white teeth before resuming her enthusiastic applause. There was still time to sway the battle's outcome, she reassured herself. She must hold faith in the Master's intricate plan. Failure was not an option.