All Comments on 'Revenge by Misadventure'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 217 Comments
AmbivalenceAmbivalence3 months ago

Well now, that was just mean. Having a friend die of course reminded me of 'The Unicorn'.

And having Banty die reminded me of another story where the guy's wife dies.

But just mean to kill off both.

Think I'd maybe like a story where the *last* wife was definitely a jewel but *not* a step or two up from the deceased one(s)...

.

Yeah, I still liked the story though... especially what happened to Hoser and the shithead boyfriend that got whipped.

Diecast1Diecast13 months ago

I love the story. Thank you. AAAAAA++++++

AardieAardie3 months ago

He runs away for four days to assert his independence and one slap from his mother and he falls back into line. Of course, he has spent years letting his mother run his personal life. Of course, it was too obvious that he was supposed to hook up with Addie after his friend died. That would have saved Banty’s life, too.

jflindersjflinders3 months ago

The main character absorbed several slaps in this story. This writer seems it is ok for women to hit men and that men should do as the woman says and just say "Yes, honey."

I disagree. Despite the writer's obvious talent, this one got 3 stars from me.

payenbrantpayenbrant3 months ago

5 stars for the writing....I have a problem with the MC accepting being abused by women. I know some people lived in a time period where it was okay for women to slap men hard enough to make them bleed or loosen teeth. In the modern world, no one should be hitting anyone unless they are sparring.

Maybe I am too "woke" or something to that effect, or maybe it's just a difference of culture? Most folks I know would not stay with someone who when they were angry slapped those they loved. A man or woman doing that to someone else would quickly find themselves single.

Other than that small, tiny thing a very funny and enjoyable tale and I am glad to read it. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with in the future.

Sincerely,

Payenbrant

RePhilRePhil3 months ago

Truly one of the best writers here in LW. I have been a fan since your first story was published in 2011. Boy has the world changed in these last 13 years. So have the story plots. More so now with the distance ever growing between old and new or right and left. I do take exception to the slapping, while understanding its use as an anvil for “storing” the story for the reader. Thanks for again swimming in the shark tank we lovingly call LW

RePhilRePhil3 months ago

That should have read stirring the story for the reader

johntcookseyjohntcooksey3 months ago

In the words of the late great Jimmy Buffett “…some of it’s magic, some of it’s tragic…” . Thanks for a somewhat bittersweet, but ultimately heartwarming new story.

dardefdardef3 months ago

Confused about his father.... Did he pass away on page 3, or run off on his mother page 1...killing off a wife to make a happy ending is not my idea of a good storyline....4 stars

jocko_smithjocko_smith3 months ago

Meh. MC is a doormat.

francemanfranceman3 months ago

Betrayals, adultery, the death of his best friend and his wife, violence against women and men..........

This story is filled with catastrophes as if without it would have sounded empty.

Wow, I expected everything after that. Don't skimp on the special effects.

- you forgot a hurricane

- a long incurable disease like cancer.

- the spread of STDs.

- a fire that destroys the factory.

- a tidal wave on the pond.

- a meteorite fall with Bruce Willis.

-

-

It's funny all these serial disasters.

Nasty56Nasty563 months ago

Słów romance more than loving wife but good story!

Tx77TumbleweedTx77Tumbleweed3 months ago

Quality writing is much appreciated in this category, as only a very few new writers are even close to those who have left or been lost over the last 5-7 years. His story had more tragic than happy moments. The main character has been so warped by not having a father in his life at a critical time that he allows women to to run his life. Standing up for himself for a four day period and delaying his second marriage and then reverting to his old form seemed showed how weak he was. Perhaps it was necessary, as the only women he truly picked for himself proved they could not be trusted (first wife and Juliette).

SorchakSorchak3 months ago

One nitpick: they're welts, not whelps. Whelp is another word for puppy. A welt is a red, swollen mark left on flesh by a blow or pressure.

mithanialmithanial3 months ago

Loved it well done. Though his bride floating down the isle after his last wife was found floating felt odd.

heydog52heydog523 months ago

5 stars. Truly great writing. Thank you.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc3 months ago

Interesting read from one of the best on the site! That said, lots of narrative driven sections in this one kept me from fully engaging like I normally do with your stories. So many abrupt plot twists left my neck aching from literary whiplash. There were a few sections I really enjoyed as they were dialogue driven, like the blowup that sent him on a several day walkabout. 4.3* overall.

oldpantythiefoldpantythief3 months ago

Pussy whipped, manhood asserted, back to pussy whipped. This story had more rides than a circus carousel, but not nearly as much fun with Banty getting killed off. I liked the story but what a hell of a way to get to the happy ending.

DontPanic442DontPanic4423 months ago

Wonderful story. Thank you 😊

Big_Tim99Big_Tim993 months ago

He almost got rid of Banty because she was steamrolling him. She dies and he lets Adele steamroll him.

He is way to easygoing until someone crosses the line. He needed to stop them before they crossed the line.

Regguy69Regguy693 months ago

Fun story! As I read it, I thought I knew what was coming, but you kept changing it up, keeping it interesting. Not too many guys are lucky enough to have found two great women at so young an age.

dgfergiedgfergie3 months ago

The good writers like Q just seem to know how to write the the story just flows and is easy to read. One sentence follows the other seamlessly as in this story. The only problem I had was keeping track of the names of the women that our MC was bedding or interested in. I particularly liked the scene where he just walked out the door and disappeared for a few days. I was surprised that Gladys made thru the semi maelstrom when he came back. Keep writing Q I'm running out of good stories I haven't read. 5 stars

JH4FunJH4Fun3 months ago
Just Didn’t Like It Much ⭐⭐

As always with your tales it’s well written. However, unlike most of your tales it just didn’t click with me. I gave it a Just Didn’t Like It Much ⭐⭐ rating. It wasn’t worth the time it took me to read it. I have never said that about any of your tales.

While I can’t pen down any one thing that makes me dislike this one. I can point to many good things that kept me from giving it the I Hated It ⭐ rating. There five main points that kept me from totally hating this one.

First was the way you wove the tale together. Second was the fact that you didn’t burn the bitches to a crisp when Al found out he was not the person to them he thought he was. Third you led the flow of the tale keeping it smooth where other writers/authors might have slipped in their tales. Fourth actual building of the characters and blending them into the tale was ok. Fifth was the fact that you put it in the south. While you put the bulk of the tale in the south you left it in one of the areas that had all 4 seasons. Those moving from the far northern USA can really appreciate the milder winters with limited snow accumulation.

Keep Writing

JH4Fun

imhaplessimhapless3 months ago

You're a good writer; 5*

CumminginsiderherCumminginsiderher3 months ago
It was..... OK

I think it got silly with the dating Banty and having her drown angle.

He should have just gone with Addie from the start.

Also the first girl he dated after moving down there seemed like an "off" plot line as well. How did she have time to date another dude if her and his mother were so close? It seemed out of character for her and the situation but that seems to be the downfall of many writers on here where they want a certain plot line and end up just writing it regardless of everything and everyone else. Even the really good writers make this mistake.

Cracker270Cracker2703 months ago

Damn good, very well told story. Many thanks.

GrimmerGrimmer3 months ago

Another one. You do seem to keep coming up with winners.

Call it what it is - a solid fiver.

knoxhardknoxhard3 months ago

Love your stuff. This wasn't one of your good ones.

And just a little hiccup -- Bermuda in February?! You gotta be kidding.

numbnutz49numbnutz493 months ago

Good story but as a Yankee who moved south over 50 years ago, the story reminded me of my introduction to my work place. I was 'announced' as the new Operations manager at our office in Atlanta (truck leasing) and as I shook one of the mechanics hands and he looked at me and said, "Are you a Yankee, or a damned Yankee!" I asked him what was the difference. He said "A Yankee is someone who comes South to visit, a damned Yankee is one who comes and stays." So I'm proud to be a Damned Yankee! Oh, going to Bermuda for that kind of fun - not going to happen.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamer3 months ago

It is a pleasure to rate this one a 5! Thanks! cd

Dittybopper6989Dittybopper69893 months ago

Great read, it was a complete story.

servant111servant1113 months ago

Nice one.

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

qhml1 is a talented author, and I have enjoyed many of his prior submissions. My opinion of this piece of work is ambivalent at best. If two characters have to die young to resolve a short story's loose ends, perhaps the plot outline needed more work. Tragedy may be an inevitable part of life, but it is not entertaining.

AngelRiderAngelRider3 months ago

Bottle of red in the fridge. C'est dégeulasse.

SunnyU2SunnyU23 months ago

Not fond of stories were the author kills off the MC's best friend so MC can get with the friends wife. It was obvious on page 2. Lame

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

What more can I say I little bit confusing (SO MANY WOMEN INVOLVED) but in the end a great read (jaybee186)

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

couldn't get past the first page. I won't score it.

AngelRiderAngelRider3 months ago

This wasn't very good leon.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Doesn’t feel like a Q story, more like a too-long JPB story.

Or maybe it’s 3 stories in one.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I like this author, I really do but I share the reservations expressed by some of those who posted their comments before me regarding the casual acts of violence with which Q's stories are routinely peppered. I was also concerned about the amount of equally casual bare breast exposure indulged in among the female characters, even the MC's mother getting in on the action with him present. Really? Here in the UK it has become a prosecutable offence to shout things like "Get your tits out!" to a woman because nearly all women are offended by such loutish harassment. In what universe does a group of women take up a group of horny, hormonal college boys on this suggestion?

There is no doubt that Q is a talented author but he needs to think things through more carefully and tidy up his style a little before committing to posting.

JR

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Agree with jflinders and Aardie. I HATE the slapping! I would never slap my husband or my adult son, much less a friend. This is not the first story here where women dish out that abuse. Does this really happen, and do men tolerate it? It always spoils a story for me.

TrafficwardenTrafficwarden3 months ago

A lovely story, typically of the authors genius in writing, welcome back

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Obvious from the off that he’d end up with the mates wife in the end. Just went round the world to get there.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I think you're super talented. And I know real life can have many tragedies. But I really wish we did not have to read about said tragedies on Loving Wives. Also, we don't know anything about why his ex-wife cheated. Or how she ended up. Except that she likely remarried. As this is Loving Wives, I'm interested to know about the motivations and outcome for the wife. But to each his own. Again, love your skill, but could you at least put tags indicating death, tragedies, etc. going forward?

talismana1talismana13 months ago

His previous wife dies in a drowning accident, and her replacement "floats down the aisle"? Reallly?

RzcanuckRzcanuck3 months ago

Felt like I was reading a story for a Burt Reynolds movie. 5 stars.

vanyevanye3 months ago

Liked the story. MC was a little too easy going with the women in his life - let his mother control him a little too much. Was glad to see him stand up for himself finally. Timeline seemed a little awkward, not didn't distract terribly much. Good job.

CamdudeCamdude3 months ago

Gave it 5, maybe this would be better placed in romance?

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

On page two now, and enjoying the take. But you describe a woman with "44D" breasts. What you describe is a woman with a man's rib cage. Most women have rib cages of 32 to 36 inches. Most likely, she would be a 34 D or so. Back to the story.

JPB

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

We got to where the story was obviously going but a the sacrifice of 2 very likable characters.

Some of the dialog was absolutely fall down funny and/or incredibly endearing. Overall great writing with just a few grammatical errors near the end when ghml1 must have been getting tired.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

very well done

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I was going to give it four instead of five stars because the author killed off Banty, but it was too good of story.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x3 months ago

"I wanna meet your sister." - Sister?

\

I don't like that he wasn't the first to hear about the pregnancy.

\

"When it comes to us, let me do the thinking." - Isn't that what caused trouble for Banty?

\

@Aardie, I don't think he fell back in line. "Right this minute I didn't like her very much either."

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Cracking read!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I love this story. The writing and story line are, with some surprising and uncommon exceptions, are first rate. And the dialogue is spot on. Overall it was like riding an emotional rollercoaster. Very few authors since COVID are a match for your writing ability. That is why I was surprised the rather obvious bloopers. I hope you have more stories for us in the future. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Harryin VAHarryin VA3 months ago

I don't think the main character was steamrolled the second time. I think his walking way for 4 days was an attempt to assert his independence and not to be pushed. I think his mind set had changed when he came to Adele.

.

He waited a good long time after batty died.... And the second time nobody was pushing him. So the readers here who think that he's being steamhol the second time are just plain stupid .

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Yeah, this one is not up anywhere near your usual standard. I kept waiting, for five pages, for him to show some signs of actually having a spine, but it never happened.

Dennis26Dennis263 months ago

Really enjoyed this story. 5 stars all the way.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I liked it. The story was acceptably complex, and the tragedies and high points balanced well. Generally well written, although it could more se have been published in Romance. But then I would have missed reading it. Well worth five stars

JPB

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

"Never get involved with a woman whose problems are worse than your own."

Barkinbeast2010Barkinbeast20103 months ago

Pretty good start bit WTF with all the women slapping the MC ? I was brought up in a time where I was taught not to hit women and I still stand by that but his mother, wife etc slapping him whenever is not on. If you want to be treated with respect by men then keep your haves to yourself too. This thinking it’s okay for women to hit men is why domestic violence figures paint over the male victims of domestic abuse. And if you go around slapping men when you’re angry with them (and carnt control yourself) sooner or later you’ll meet someone equality as a reason to hit back. I’ve taught my daughter to not accept violence against her but not to feel entitled to use it herself

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Weak.

pjpbpjpb3 months ago

5/5 overall

Well written, consistent characters and narrative, light humor - good job

doctrptdoctrpt3 months ago

Fantastic! Bravo!

ibuguseribuguser3 months ago

He threw a lot of tantrums for a 30+ year old.

Was a good story though and well written.

Worth 4*.

ejsathomeejsathome3 months ago

Always love your stuff! Thank you. Five easy stars.

Hooked1957Hooked19573 months ago

Another great read. Thank you for showing everyone how it should be done.

Hooked

BuzzCzarBuzzCzar3 months ago

A well done story. Thank you. 5*

usaretusaret3 months ago

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Five stars.

DazzyDDazzyD3 months ago

To me, it was a little disjointed at first but great story. 5

AnotherChapterAnotherChapter3 months ago

I generally love your stories and have re-read several, but though I hate to say it, this one seemed long (although it wasn’t) and a bit confusing at times. Maybe one too many dead ends, I’m not certain. I do appreciate your writing and the care that obviously goes into it, so I look forward to the next one with anticipation.

MysticMysteryMysticMystery3 months ago

What a wonderful story, thank you. 5*

Karn9Karn93 months ago

What a beautifully fun loving story! Thank you for publishing it. 5*

BoxerR100BoxerR1003 months ago

Nailed It!!! Thank you!

TonyspencerTonyspencer3 months ago

Excellent story!

Prince020402Prince0204023 months ago

Good writing but the story meandered quite a bit. Also, really confused abouts the title and the byline. They seemed to describe the first half page but had nothing to do with the rest, which was the bulkofthestory. Seems like you wrote a short story, named it but then kept adding on. Went into a lot of detail about Juliette and her boys, as if that was going to be the story, and then abandoned it by having her inexplicably cheat on him for no apparent reason. So you took off in another direction with Mark dying and Adele coming to live with him - which seemed logical that they would eventually end up together.... but the there was Banty...

Seemed like you built a small house and then kept adding wings that were different styles.

It kept me engaged, and I read til the end so I didn't think it was bad at all, just not organized well (in my opinion).

ZoomdoggieZoomdoggie3 months ago

You always pen a good story. Thanks for the escapism.

SBC97281SBC972813 months ago

Five stars! Well earned as even though a couple times I said Noah, I kept going to see what Q had in store next. Thanks!

ttt59ttt593 months ago

There was a lot of shit going on in those five pages! I had to go back a couple times and make sure I had all the characters lined up correctly. Love lit writers who have MC's with character and backbone. Thanks for another good one!

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy3 months ago

Another great story!

5

Larch50Larch503 months ago

You are one of the top writers on Lit and it shows with this story. Well done.

TexdomTexdom3 months ago

What a great story from one of the best. Thank you!

BehindbluisBehindbluis3 months ago

Not sure how many others picked up on the "Ugly Stick" reference when Trey was beaten to such an extent that it left permanent marks on his face. Kind of like the "Southern saying about getting hit with an ugly stick, or falling out of an ugly tree and hitting every branch, and then there's the ugly forest. Thanks for sharing this an all of your other stories. You have the power to inspire....and to intimidate so many of your followers.

njlaurennjlauren3 months ago

As usual a well written yarn but I kind of lost it when Banty died. I realize it was a plot twist where her death kind of made it possible for him to be with Addie , but it hit too deep.

Cringo31Cringo313 months ago

Another fantastic story from Q. Please keep writing for our enjoyment.

katibkatib3 months ago

Average at best, and from the accomplished author a real disappointment. Rather boring, with no character exhibing much of interest. No drama; no tension. Wish there were a rating between average and dislike.

DreddrasDreddras3 months ago

You are a very skilled author in this category, but this one is just...underwhelming. Very little emotional impact. Both obvious and unncessarily convoluted. Bizzare shifts in characterization, especially the MC who randomly flies off the handle because Bandy and his mom are getting aggressive planning that wedding, but then happily "yes dear"s his to-be third wife as she dictates his life going forward.

Chimo1961Chimo19613 months ago

You played us like a fat trout, up and down, well done.

You reeled us in.

brian_scoobybrian_scooby3 months ago

Great story. Banty’s death hit me hard… but it is just like life. The shittiest unexpected sometimes happens. Thank-you for your talent!

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Now3 months ago

Wow!

Powerful tale!

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThree3 months ago

Unusual story for Lit.,

but not for qhml1.

The writer is as comfortable with romance LW stories

as with action LW stories.

That is unusual.

And that takes talent.

Qhml1 sure has that.

And it shows in this story.

Both interesting and entertaining.

Top ratings from me.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago
Very good as usual

I disagree with those who feel he was steamrolled. Not so. You don’t have to be a hard ass to prove you’re strong. He was plenty strong.

I do feel you got us too attached to Banty to have her die like that and the romance conclusion with Addie was too quick to get over the sadness of Banty’s death. The fact that you draw those emotions out of us is compliment enough to your writing. It was a very good story even though it was a quite bittersweet and a little quick on the ending for me. I wouldn’t expect anything less than excellent from you. THANK YOU

Wandering_MongolWandering_Mongol3 months ago

5*

Bravo! Thank you!

-

Be well!

IrishLaddy59IrishLaddy593 months ago

That was a one whale of a good story. So much sadness to finally find happiness. Very nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

THAT was a rambling mess! Bordering on incoherent at times.

.

2 **

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

SIMILAR Stories