Rick or Cheat?

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He smiled again, his white teeth standing out against his red painted face in the dimly lit corridor. "Forgive me if I am too direct, but do tell me why you chose your outfit."

Cassie allowed herself a thin smile. "You chose it," she replied. He had, after all, specified it on the invite.

"Ah, I chose only the character. You chose the outfit."

She shrugged her shoulders. "Okay, I'll be honest. Lauren and I were a bit drunk when we ordered our costumes. This dress, if you can even call it that, didn't look quite so...well, revealing in the pictures. Or short. And it only arrived in the post this morning, so I didn't really have an alternative."

He laughed, his grin widening "And the stockings?" he asked.

She tilted her head to one side, a little unsure at the sudden directness of his tone.

"Lauren is wearing hold-ups too. We thought it would be fun. And I kinda thought the dress would be longer." She felt honesty was the best approach.

He nodded slowly, and she felt his eyes on her again. "No bra," he said simply.

She felt her cheeks flush. "Yeh, well I thought I had a black strapless one but..." she shrugged her shoulders. "Why are you asking me all this?" she asked.

He smiled again, a friendly and pleasant smile. "Do you realise how incredibly sexy you look?" he asked, his tone matter-of-fact.

Cassie gasped a little, surprised again at his bluntness of his compliment. Again she replied honestly. "I don't feel sexy. I feel like everyone is looking at me and thinking I'm..." she bit her lip. "I don't know...a slut or something."

Charlie exhaled loudly and shook his head. "Dear god girl. I can assure you, you could not be further from the truth."

She shook her head. "Come on Charlie, look at me. I feel like I'm practically naked!"

"My dear, it is impossible to take my eyes off you," he replied, and she felt her cheeks flush. "You are quite the most stunning creature and what you are wearing...well, it could not be more appropriate for showing off how perfect you are."

She stared at him, stunned by his words. Was he flirting? Or even, coming onto her? His tone though sounded more genuine than that. She felt confused again. 'How perfect you are.' And that word reminded her of something he'd said to her earlier, in the kitchen when they'd first met.

"Can I ask you something Charlie?" she said slowly.

"Of course," he replied.

"In the kitchen, earlier, you said to me 'I could not have envisaged the sexy devil would be quite so perfect.' What exactly did you mean by that?"

He leaned his head back and chuckled softly, then raised his hands up, as if in surrender. "I fear you may be angry with me if I tell the truth."

She narrowed her eyes. "I hate liars," she replied.

He sighed and nodded. "How many devils have you seen tonight Cassie?"

She thought for a moment, replaying the people and outfits she'd seen. And it struck her that, with the exception of herself and Charlie, she hadn't seen another devil costume. "Ummm...well...just us," she replied slowly.

He turned to his side and leaned against the wall. "I will be honest with you Cassie. Felicity has spoken a lot about you since she met you. We talk a lot you know? She is more like Edward of course, but we have always been close. She was very nervous about starting university. Poor girl has never been good at making friends. We spoke daily for her first few weeks. And all I heard was Cassie this and Cassie that. So nice, so friendly, so sweet, so helpful. I could not believe she told me she had gone clubbing. My little sister, in a club! And she told me about a rude boy who was harassing her, and then this Cassie...how she warned him off and made sure she was safe."

Cassie felt herself blush again. She remembered that night. Poor Flick had been in quite a state.

"Anyway, I digress," Charlie continued. "When she told me you were coming to the party, I could not help but to check her facebook page." He opened out his palms again, almost apologetically. "Please believe me dear girl, I was in no way stalking you. I simply wanted to see who this wonderful Cassie was. And when I saw you...well. What can I say? A vision of perfection."

Cassie bit her lip; embarrassed, shocked but also flattered.

"I am always the only devil at this party. It is just my thing," he said, shrugging his shoulders and chuckling. "A privilege of being in charge of the character selections. And I thought, this Cassie sounds like an angel. And for a while, that is what was on your invitation. But then I thought, perhaps it would fun to see her as a devil. Of course, that meant I would not be in a unique costume. That, I suspect, is one reason you have had a lot of attention. It is well known there has only been one devil since I introduced the mandated costumes."

She stared at him in surprise.

He chuckled again. "Sadly, I was engaged in deep conversation with a friend in need at the time you arrived. But when I finally found you, in the kitchen..." he shook his head. "There she was, Cassie the angel. And yet tonight, a devil. In the sexiest outfit imaginable. Like I said. Perfection."

Cassie felt her mouth go dry. She couldn't quite process was he was telling her. It had all been planned. And she didn't know how to feel about it. Was it creepy? Was it arrogant?

He seemed to be reading her mind. "I fear you must think I am a silly fool. Or worse?"

She looked at him for a long moment, then found herself shaking her head. She didn't know why. There was something genuine about him. It was a stupid game of course, and she remembered Lauren referring to him as 'fucking mad,' a description that was starting prove remarkably accurate. The party, the costumes. Him the only devil, breaking his tradition. But, what was his end game?

She shook her head. "I don't think there is anything silly about you Charlie. Maybe, a little mad," she giggled. "But far from silly." She narrowed her eyes. "Why though? I mean what was the point?"

He laughed again, and she hinted a sense of irony in his tone. "I wish I knew myself. I have these crazy ideas. I think I thought it would be fun to have you walk around with me. See them wonder who this new devil was."

She frowned again. Perhaps he was actually mad, or at least, a little delusional. Did people really care that much about the costumes? "Flick never told you I had a boyfriend, did she?"

He sighed again. "No, she did not. Although, I should not be surprised." He smiled at her again.

They stood in silence for a moment, Cassie's mind spinning. She still wasn't entirely sure of his ultimate intentions. "You just wanted to...show off with me then?" she asked.

His smile widened as he looked at her. "Is that bad of me? I know, I know. I am a terrible show off." He started to chuckle. "I could just picture their faces. And in that outfit, my god. The perfect sexy apprentice."

"You really believe they would think that? Or even care?" she asked.

His face straightened as he looked directly at her. "Most of the the people at this party are, if I can be so blunt, some of the most hideous people you could ever meet. Most of them are terrible bores. I sometimes think it is the curse of the wealthy. One must conform you know? I wish I were oblivious to it all, but I am not. I have a horrible streak of competitiveness in me and I know it would shock them to see me with you by my side. Even more so with your choice of costume!" He sighed again. "I must sound like such an arrogant bastard."

She couldn't help but giggle. It was a world she didn't really understand, but he sounded so honest. And for a moment, she almost felt sorry for him. It was true. There were a lot of posh and clearly wealthy people at the party, and none had come across as welcome or friendly. She wondered how Richard and Ben were getting on in the smoking lounge. And she wondered if Richard knew how disappointed she was when he rejected her in the Singapore room. That was twice now she'd used the word 'rejected' in her thoughts, and her earlier concession that it wasn't appropriate or respectful was now fully dismissed. She looked at Charlie and felt herself grin. She had no idea if he was being serious, or playing an elaborate game, or whether she'd drunk enough to lose her senses. He seemed to like her though, and he'd complimented her more in the last ten minutes than Richard had all night. In fact, it struck her that Richard hadn't complimented her at all.

She knew that was a dangerous thought, but somehow, she just wanted to get her own back. Not to cheat on Richard. But to at least make him realise how lucky he was.

She drained the half glass of champagne she held in her hand. "Come on then," she said, placing the bottle of champagne on the ground and then holding out her hand towards him, conscious that that action was a role reversal from earlier. Her grin widened when he looked at her with a quizzical expression. "You want to show off with me? Let's see if they react how you think they will."

He blinked and smiled, then a look of caution crossed his face. "I fear your boyfriend would be less than pleased to see you paraded around on my arm."

She shrugged her shoulders. "It might do him good," she said bluntly.

He laughed and stepped forward, reaching down for the bottle. He topped up her glass, and poured the remainder of the bottle into his own empty flute. Then he tossed the bottle onto the floor and took her hand, turning her to walk beside him. He released her hand and slipped his own into his pocket. She slid her arm through the crook in his arm and as they approached the ante-room she giggled "I think you are as mad as box of frogs."

He laughed out and replied "You are not wrong there, dear girl."

She felt her heart thump as they walked through the drawing room, arm in arm. He led them to a group who were standing talking. "How is everyone doing? Enjoying the party?" he announced loudly. Heads turned and she felt eyes on her but this time they were followed by wide smiles.

"Charlie boy. Great party." "Always a great bash." "Darling, it is the highlight of our year." She heard Charlie laugh at the comments. "You have a sidekick this year?" she heard one say.

"Ah yes. This, my friends, is my sexy devil apprentice." She felt him guide her slightly towards the group. "Meet Cassie," he added. She smiled shyly at the group and raised the champagne glass in her left hand. She took in the smiles, the nods, the hellos. "Is she not just the most delightful picture of a devil?" Charlie asked.

"Quite beautiful," she heard a woman say, and she felt her cheeks flush from the unexpected compliment.

"Those glasses look a little on the empty side to me people," Charlie chuckled, before moving away with Cassie still linked arm in arm. The couple who had been next to her earlier smiled as they passed. "Great party Charlie," the man called out.

Out in the grand hallway now, and once again Charlie steered them towards a group. His confidence oozed as he greeted his guests, once again introducing her. She felt a buzz at the sudden attention, the smiling faces. A few moments there, then onto another group, all male.

She worked out quickly they were all his age group. "Bloody hell old boy," one of them announced, stepping forward to slap his back. The man, dressed as some sort of demon, made no attempt to hide his eyes as he stared at her. She followed his eyes as they dropped to her chest and she realised at the angle he was at, he would able to see the inner part of her left breast through the diamond netting of her dress. But she didn't feel at all uncomfortable. She couldn't explain why. Being with Charlie made her feel secure. She smiled at the demon, and giggled as his eyes widened as he blatantly cast his eyes down her body. She leaned into Charlie, and bent her left leg at the knee. "Are you enjoying the party?" she asked him. He puffed his cheeks out and grinned. "Bloody marvellous," he replied and she giggled, wondering if he meant her, or the party.

They turned to move to another group, and she could still feel the demon's eyes on her. She giggled, and deliberately swayed her hips as she took a large sip of champagne.

Charlie worked the room with her on his side. She was amazed at how people responded to him. He was clearly popular, and his humour and suaveness was evident. She liked how they saw her as his sidekick; how that tiny change made them look at her differently. They came across as pleasant and friendly, but more than once she thought she saw hints of jealousy. And although she realised that was stupid, it made her feel good.

They moved on again, into the library. The group were older in here, and she figured it was mainly Archie's friends. The costumes were more traditional, more restrained and again she felt eyes on her. Charlie didn't care. He checked his guests were having fun, asked how their children were, how business was. She caught her reflection in a glass cabinet and realised she was again leaning into Charlie, her left leg bent at the knee. She noticed the curve in her hip and how the dress clung tightly to her, stretching the material across her right breast. Her breasts were small but pert. She would normally wear a 30A bra. Her legs looked so long and thin, accentuated by the diamond net holdups. Next to Charlie, who was at least 185 cm and with a muscular, athletic frame, she felt almost waif-like.

"Young Charles. Good to see you." Charlie turned them both around to face a man smiling at them. He had thin greying hair and was his costume was an elegant, sophisticated Dracula.

"Henry!" Charlie replied warmly. "Cassie, meet Henry. He was Archie's best man."

Cassie smiled sweetly at him, and was pleased when he bowed his head gracefully and smiled back.

"Well well Charles, a new girlfriend?" said Dracula's bride, as she stepped next to Henry. Cassie felt her cheeks blush.

"Miranda my dear," Charlie said, leaning his head forward to kiss the woman on either cheek. He glanced at Cassie, then looked back at the woman and shook his head, sighing theatrically. "Alas, young Cassie is already spoken for. I am only borrowing this beautiful young lady to enhance my reputation for a short while. A fleeting moment of selfish folly on my part," he chuckled.

Cassie giggled and shook her head. He really was eccentric.

"Charles, you really are a bad man," Miranda said, giggling also. "I do hope this ruffian does not cause bother for you, dear girl," she said, smiling at Cassie.

Cassie giggled and looked up at Charlie, narrowing her eyes. "You better not cause me bother Charles," she grinned, using his full name for effect.

"Ha! Good girl," Henry chuckled. "This boy needs someone to keep him in check."

"Cassie, we must be leaving. Mr and Mrs Dracula are, I fear, trying to besmirch my impeccable character."

Cassie let out a little gasp as he stepped forward, pulling her with him. She glanced at the Dracula's who were laughing. Her eyes met with Miranda's and she saw the woman give her a genuine, pleasant smile. She took a sip of champagne as Charlie guided her from the room. She only had one more sip left in the glass and it struck her that, with the exception of the glass Charlie poured from himself, she'd nearly drunk a whole bottle of Cristal to herself. She held his arm a little more tightly, conscious that her head felt light and her long limbs were a little wobbly on her four inch heels.

"Where to next, I wonder?" Charlie mused.

"The smoking lounge," Cassie giggled. She looked up at him as he stopped abruptly, noticing him frown at her. "What?" she asked.

"Hmmm. I do believe that is most likely where your boyfriend is right now."

She giggled again. "I know," she replied, grinning.

"She truly is a little devil," Charlie chuckled. Cassie just shrugged and continued to grin at him. She knew she was drunk, but she was finally having some fun. And weirdly, she felt good attached to Charlie, getting some positive attention.

"I take no responsibility for what is to come," Charlie laughed, stepping off down the corridor. "I must tell you though, I boxed at school."

Cassie giggled again. "I wouldn't worry about that Charlie. Richard is not really a fighter." She wondered how he would react though. What would he think when he saw her, arm in arm with the charismatic host? She hoped he'd feel jealous. And it struck her she really must be drunk.

The strong aroma of the smoking lounge filled her nostrils long before they reached the room at the end of the corridor. She felt her heart beat a little faster as they stepped in through the double doors into a huge lounge. She could feel the cool air from the open windows hit her body and she shivered a little. She counted at least 20 costumed bodies in the room, some stood, some sat on the leather sofas and armchairs. Eyes turned towards them.

"Good evening gentlemen. I trust my brother is keeping the port flowing," Charlie called out loudly.

"He bloody well is. Good to see you old boy. Come to join us have you?" a posh voice boomed across the room.

Cassie narrowed her eyes, peering into the room through the pockets of cigar smoke that hung in the air.

"Giles, always a pleasure," Charlie boomed back. "I will no doubt join you later, but for now I am simply a tour guide." He took his hand from his pocket and slipped it from Cassie's arm. Unattached to him, she suddenly felt awkward again, and then her eyes met Richard's. He was sat in a wing backed armchair, a glass of port in his hand. Ben was opposite, sat beside Eddie on a sofa. She smiled towards her boyfriend, but he just stared back and she detected a hint of surprise in his eyes.

"Hey Cass...how you doing?" Ben shouted over, raising his glass towards her. He took a draw of his cigar and blew out a cloud of smoke.

"I'm good," she replied, nodding her head at him. His smile was momentarily comforting. Eddie also raised his glass towards her and nodded. She looked back at Richard and saw his jaw tightening as his eyes glanced from her to Charlie and back again. She could feel some of the men look at her, but stood on her own, not arm-in-arm with Charlie made her feel suddenly vulnerable. Richard narrowed his eyes and slowly shook his head at her. She lowered her head and crossed the room towards him.

"Are you okay?" she asked. She could hear Charlie doing his amiable host routine further back in the room.

"I'm just great," Richard said, tipping his head back and downing a glass of port in one go. "You look like you're enjoying yourself," he said, his tone blunt and sarcastic.

She gave a little shrug. "Charlie is just giving me a tour. He's introduced me to quite a few people."

"I bet he has," Richard said in a low tone. "Are you enjoying having everyone stare at you?"

She looked down at him and felt her cheeks flush. "What do you mean by that?"

Richard puffed out his cheeks, shaking his head. "You know exactly what I mean."

She blinked. His words were slightly slurred, and she figured he must be drunk, more than her for sure. She glanced at Ben, who gave her a slightly awkward look then immediately started a conversation with Archie.

"I'm not sure I do Richard," she replied, shaking her head.

He leaned back in the chair and sighed deeply, looking up at her. "Is this how you go out now? With your new uni friends? Out to clubs dressed like...like..." his voice was low, and it trailed off as she saw his cheeks flush.

She felt anger well up inside her. "Dressed like what exactly?" she hissed back, consciously keeping her voice down to avoid attention, even although the buzz of conversation was loud enough to drown them out.

He shook his head again. "Well? Is that the kind of thing you wear out or not?" he asked.

"No! For fuck's sake Richard...you know this wasn't what I expected when I ordered it."