All Comments on 'Roderick's Tale'

by Padre33

Sort by:
  • 14 Comments
ag2507ag2507about 2 years ago

I very much enjoyed this tale and hope that your leaving unresolved storyline means there will be (a) sequel(s). Though you carefully warned about historical accuracy, or the lack of it, there was one element that grated on my nerves: in England, we don't have Counts (though we do have Countesses) instead the older Anglo-Saxon term, Earl, is used in its place. Consequently I winced at every reference to the Count of Durham. You did lead me to speculate as to why there is no Duke of Durham, it is a county after all, but then Durham was hewn out of Northumberland, (North of the Humber-land) so the lesser rank would be appropriate. I look forward to meeting your Earl of Durham in future episodes.

ag2507ag2507about 2 years ago

The Earldom of Durham was created in 1836.

cageysea9725cageysea9725about 2 years ago

I couldn't manage to get past the first half of page one. Why do so many typists think it's good to start with boring details that contribute little, if anything, to the actual story? Can they just not think well enough to give those boring details that they, in their little mind, think are important with the story instead of belching out so many useless words right at the beginning?

Intentionally avoiding saying anything even remotely interesting in the first paragraph, or even the first page is an excellent way of getting the reader to lose interest.

If that was your intention, you did a wonderful job of it. Congrats.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

I enjoyed the story.

Some speech used and parts of some scenes were not appropriate to the mid-19th century. However, it was meant as a bit of fun, so who cares. The overall air of the story felt good.

The only sour note was the reference to the Archbishop of Canterbury. No matter how influential Grandfather was, he could never get approval for a brother and sister to marry. It would have been illegal at common law, let alone church law, and mobs with pitchforks would probably storm the estate.

This diversion was not even necessary, since Henry stood in. I suggest editing out this proposal, as it breaks the flow of the story without need.

Michael

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

The story held my attention from the beginning,1st you wrote that your inspiration was from George Heller,Sir from the eloquence of your written word this was fun to read reverting to hold onto but ride like a wild horse and slowly taming it if you write more on this family I for one will read again and again I have never read any other story but I will if you continue in this vein I can relish the 19th century characters in living to those day s .Many thanks ...

greenreadergreenreaderabout 2 years ago

5 stars because this is how tales are meant to be told.

Although you broke my pervy little heart with Mom not being the prize.

Angel_AzraelAngel_Azraelabout 2 years ago

Brilliant. Loved the story. It caught my attention from start to finish. I felt like I was transported to that era, and the old UK English dialogs were spot on. Five ★ (and it's been a long time since I rated a story so high).

Now, for the record, I have to say I REALLY hate non-consentual, forced sex or rape, in any way or form, in any media (and in real life, of course). But I appreciate when these actions are tagged in a story or appear as a warning in a disclaimer, so I can avoid them and move on to something else. This time though, knowing the talent of the author, I took a risk and... it was totally worth it.

The story was well written, detailed, and the "attack", although horrible, it was toned down thanks to the actions of the main character. Something I liked about him was, he was open-minded and always tried to make right or fix any wrongful or bad situation, to protect and help his family and friends. This is the reason that made the "attack" and results of that situation bearable. Plus, the full story was actually really good, with all the drama and problems involving the family and the actions to protect everyone from harm, and the repudiation and ostracism of the society from that time.

Funny thing though, Padre33 warned it was a long story, but by the end I just wanted to keep reading. Somehow I found it short... even though it really is a long story. Well, after all, from the first to the last word, it only covers about two months and a little bit more only, and left many unanswered questions (which I won't mention to not spoil the story in the comments section). Although it's also a good point to conclude the story and leave the rest to the imagination of the readers. But still, there's more than enough left for a sequel... just saying. And I would love to read it, if there's ever one.

Take care.

Angel_AzraelAngel_Azraelabout 2 years ago

Just forgot to mention, I caught a few typos that will list here so you can take notice of them for next time:

• "goodnight" should be "good night" ("good night" is the saying, "goodnight" is the act of saying it)

• "laps" instead of "lapse" (to fail at something)

• "wellbeing" should be "well-being"

rockman123rockman123about 2 years ago

Awesome. I actually read Victorian Sex Fantasy. It is offered on Project Gutenberg for free. Well done.

WargamerWargameralmost 2 years ago

I enjoyed your story and hope it continues. I know it is a homage to Hellers works but l do think the incorporation of the forced rape scene,he has in his story, into yours should’ve been avoided. It is way too close to the original. I hope he approved your use of his plot device?

I do not think, and this is just my thinking, that the relationships forged from the rapes would survive in the long term. The thought of my wife having my mother as a full time lover does nothing for me. I cannot see how the relationships could progress without awkwardness an jealousy. Someone, somewhere will get their backs up over something, and bang there is a bust up and scandal ensues. Just way too many servants to hide all the goings on in the mansion.

Such secret behaviour cannot be hidden forever.

The biggest weak links are the two gay realationships, mistakes are always made.

All in all a passable story, if it continues l hope you improve on it

Scores 3/5

GeorgeGaleGeorgeGaleover 1 year ago

Wonderful story an all time favorite, however, would love to know whom the insider or the leaker was and how close to the family that individual was.........():\

Mango2021Mango202110 months ago

This needs a part 11

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Ok so I really liked this story .

Not many goofs and only a few anachronisms.

There were a few things I didn't get for one why didn't he try to unite the two family's to go after the father together, he knew he wasn't a good guy to begin with.

After it went the way it did why was there nothing about going after the other family for stuff like attempted murder, forced entry, causing bodily harm, imprisonment.

In any society those are felonious.

Maybe thats for a sequel.

I also think their father needs his nuts crushed, but that's a whole different story.

Any way good story, it would be nice to finish it.

Thank you

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Really, really enjoyable story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userPadre33@Padre33
1 May 2024 Good morning Everyone, I'm still alive, though just as swamped, and struggling to get any writing done. I am not done with Kodie and Martin, and have a few ideas on how to take the story, but need to find the time and motivation to get to the writing. Thank you...