Roderick's Tale

Story Info
The twists Rodi's Victorian life takes.
52.2k words
4.71
24.8k
47
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Padre33
Padre33
562 Followers

Thank you for selecting my story to read. This is a comparatively longer story than many on the site, with long stretches of story between the sex.

I started this story after reading "A Victorian Sex Fantasy" by GeorgeEHeller1950. I consider this a tribute to that story. I modelled it closely after that story, I liked the premise but thought it should flow in a different direction.

I highly recommend reading "A Victorian Sex Fantasy."

Though this story is set in 1845 England, I would like to stipulate that this story is not historically accurate. A better description of the setting might be "anywhere England/America, anytime 1800s." So, if you are reading this for a historically accurate accounting of life/technology then seek elsewhere.

Disclaimer: This story includes scenes of assault, reluctant sex, as well as incestual sexual relations. If these are not your thing, then don't read this story. The assault, and reluctant sex scenes, set the story, but are not the overall theme.

I hope you enjoy this story as much as I enjoyed writing it. Please rate and comment when you're done.

Prologue

Good day to you readers. My name is Roderick Xavier Ebenezer Livingstone Esquire. At least at the start of this story anyway. I find myself in a position where I simply must record the scandalous situation that my life has become. And yet, though scandalous, I would not change but one part of it.

Before I get to the story, though, I think there are some essential things to know about my family beforehand. This knowledge will make understanding the situation easier.

To start this explanation, I would like to describe my maternal grandfather, Lord Ambrose Bennet Caspar Lockwood. He is a brilliant man, with vision. He is the younger brother to the Count of Durham, and not being directly in line for the family title, he used his small inheritance to invest.

Grandfather began his career as a solicitor, after which he tried his hands at politics. He always told me, however, that he couldn't stomach politics. He hated the deceit and lies inherent in the manoeuvring and jockeying for position and favour. When Grandfather received his small inheritance, when his father died of the cough that swept the land, he left politics and invested in the new railways. That investment paid off, and he expanded into banking with his newfound wealth.

Grandfather was a canny businessman and continued to grow his fortune.

After he married my grandmother, Lady Mercy Morrigan Lockwood, he sired ten children. The four eldest, my uncles. The six remaining children, my aunts and mother; my mother, the youngest by four minutes; Mother and Aunt Lola are identical twins.

With all of his daughters and the dowries Grandfather would have to pay, it would have depleted him even with his vast wealth. Unlike some families, who would ship daughters off to convents to ensure the dowry of the other daughters, Grandfather wanted the best for all his daughters. Grandfather also wanted to protect his wealth, keep it in his family, and not distribute it to that of his son-in-laws.

My grandparents worked hard to find suitable matches for their daughters, and to the best of my knowledge, they found compatible matches, generally speaking. I know Grandfather had a talk with his daughters-- Well, I should say that I know Grandfather had a conversation with Mother. Mother explained it to me one time when I asked about my father, which I will speak about more in a moment.

Grandfather told Mother that the man who would become my father was a young politician, and he was not looking for the family's money but rather the connections and influence. Though there was no love between Mother and Father, Mother agreed that they would be a compatible match after courting.

Grandfather negotiated with Father, and his family, the wedding contract. I don't know everything in the contract, but the critical part for this tale is that my mother's dowry, a large estate, would remain my mother's. Legally, it would be in my father's name, but as soon as a male child is born, that child, me, would inherit the lands, managed by Mother until I could take over management of the estate. Instead, Father would receive a stipend from the estate, and that allowance was variable depending on the number of children Father sired with Mother; Grandfather wanted many grandchildren.

And so, my mother and father married. At first, Mother lived with Father in his townhouse in the capital. There my father sired myself, and, two years later, my sister, Faith Philadelphia Livingstone.

Now, I don't know exactly what happened, but after my sister was born, Mother, with us in tow, moved to our estate in the country. After which, we only saw our father, but once or twice a year. Mother dutifully sent Father correspondence each month, reporting on our education and upbringing, but rarely did we receive anything in return.

We lived happily on our rural estate; we learned all the things we needed to function in high society. Mother provided that I was taught to ride and hunt. Mother also ensured Faith and I learned to read, write, and do arithmetic.

Mother's twin, Aunt Lola, and her three children, Edith, Ephram, and Agnes, would often come and visit us at the estate through the summer. I always enjoyed it when they came to visit. Oftentimes it was the only time when we were exposed to other children of our social class with whom we could play. My cousins, sister, and I often could be found exploring the estate, and more than once, we were found playing with the children of the tenant farmers. I don't think that Mother minded so much, but we were often reminded that social class is a crucially important thing.

That was how life went for me, up until I turned twelve. Grandfather came to visit for my twelfth name day. He was of the opinion that I needed a more formal education, one that included other boys in my social class. As such, I was shipped off to a boarding school on the other side of the country.

I only saw my mother and sister four times for the next two years. I was sent home for two weeks, twice a year. Once for Christmas, and once in the spring. I missed my family terribly during this period, but I learned a tremendous amount at the same time. Ironically, though, what I learned was not from my instructors; what we learned in class was the same things Mother had already ensured my sister and I knew. Instead, what I learned was the ways of boys. This was my first experience with other agemates. I won't go into detail, but I imagine what I learned is the same as all boys who have other boys to spend time with.

Before the Christmas break, my second year at the school, Grandfather visited. I later learned that he invested in the school, which was part of the reason I was sent there. I'm not sure if Grandfather liked or did not like what he found there because I left with him when Grandfather left. He brought me home, for which I was grateful.

Every time I came home to visit, I was astounded by the changes. Namely, my sister. She always grew so much, and that was no different upon returning home. I suppose looking back, the same could be said about me. I know Mother always exclaimed over how much I had grown.

When Grandfather left me at home, he left specific instructions; I was to accompany Mother and the senior staff to learn more about the running of the estate; which I did, gladly. I enjoyed learning about what we produced and how we made our money. Though I was not making any decisions, I was learning how and why the decisions were made.

My time at home, though, was short-lived. Grandfather sent for me that spring. Grandfather sent a letter to both my mother and myself. In his letter to me, he explained that he was quite happy with how my education was coming and that he thought I should expand my horizons. He planned on fostering me, where I would apprentice with him to become a solicitor, and learn about the family investments.

In the letter Grandfather sent to Mother, he explained how he wanted to ensure that I would have a strong male influence in my life. Since my father completely ignored us, Grandfather determined that he would fill that role.

Though I hated leaving home again, I was excited for what Grandfather had planned for me. It was especially difficult to leave again. Faith and Mother shed tears and hugged me tightly, despite its impropriety, when they saw me off at the train station. I'm not too proud to admit that I shed more than a few tears as well. As a boy, a little more than fourteen, I was off in the world again.

As with my time at the boarding school, I won't bore you with my time fostering with Grandfather. I stayed with Grandfather for four years, after which I did become a solicitor. I learned lots about investing and running a business. And most importantly, I was able to see my family more often. Rather than seeing Mother and Faith for a total of four weeks a year, we met regularly. Mother and Faith often came to stay with Grandfather for a week or more at a time. Though I missed my home, I enjoyed my time with Grandfather.

To celebrate my graduation and eighteenth name day, Grandfather held a ball in my honour. For the first time in years, I had my entire family together. All of my aunts and uncles. My cousins, young and old, were all there. All the highborn in the surrounding estates were there, and more than a few from afar. My Great Uncle, the Count of Durham, even showed up expressly to congratulate me. Though I didn't know it at the time, Grandfather kept his brother up to date on most of his grandson's progress. I was surprised to see even my father made an appearance.

The ball was a grand time. I enjoyed being able to dance with my cousins and sister. Mother, and my aunts ensured they each got at least one dance as well. Though I probably should have been more discrete, I tried to spend as much time with my cousin Edith as possible; we shared several dances together. Though I hadn't seen her in several years, I always enjoyed her company when her family would come to visit our estate, and looking at her now, she had grown into a beautiful, intelligent young lady.

A week after the ball and revelries, Grandfather officially sent me home. I was deemed fit to manage my estate. So, when Mother and Faith returned home, I travelled with them.

Mother had me move into the master's suite. This made me feel odd at first. This suite was always set aside for my father, even though I don't think he ever used it. Additionally, Mother maintained her rooms in the adjoining suite, which my wife would occupy, when I got married. Though this was odd to me, I quickly adjusted to the position of Lord of the Manor.

With Mother's help, I ran the estate. Mother ran the household, and I managed the business and investment side. Additionally, I used my new title as a solicitor to draw up wills and contracts for people as needed for a modest fee.

For the next two years, I managed to increase the productivity of the estate and, using estate funds, like Grandfather, made some investments which helped us grow our wealth further.

Unlike other landowners in the area, I regularly rode out to the tenant farms and helped out. I provided that the farmers had what they needed. This was only one way I ensured the increase in productivity. Years later, I learned that my practice of helping the tenants gained me a favourable reputation with the commoners and the gentry and peers in the area. Apparently, I was used as an example for sons to follow.

It was this practice that brings us to the beginning of my tale. A week before the tale's start, I received correspondence from Grandfather and Aunt Lola. My cousin, Ephram, is to come and foster under me for the next few years. Grandfather wanted him to learn how I managed my estate so that when Ephram gains his own, he will be able to work it well. Additionally, Aunt Lola requested that Edith and Agnes be able to come to stay as well. She wants Mother to foster her girls. She didn't give a reason, but I could not see a reason not to, and penned a response and sent it straight away.

So now begins my narrative, starting on the fifteenth of May Anno Domini 1845; a lovely sunny day.

Chapter 1

"There they are! There they are, Rodi," my sister exclaimed, tugging on my sleeve.

I looked up from my paper and followed Faith's outstretched arm. Sure enough, through the window of the still-moving train car, I spotted my cousins. Smiling, I folded the paper and tossed it onto the bench.

Faith impatiently waited for our cousins to descend the steps. All three of my cousins carried trunks, and as soon as they were at a clear spot on the platform, the girls deposited their chests and rushed toward us. Faith ran to them, where they embraced, sharing giggles and exclamations. Then the three girls returned to the luggage.

Ephram and I followed at a slower pace; Ephram because he was more heavily laden.

As I approached, the youngest of my cousins spotted me. "Rodi!" She ran forward, ignoring propriety, and hugged me in the crowded train station.

I laughed, gently returning her hug. "Ah, Agnes, you are as lively as ever." I pushed her back to arm's length and looked her over.

Agnes wore a beautifully crafted travelling dress; the wool dyed a light blue. It covered her from neck to toe and to her wrists. She had a shawl over her shoulders and a bonnet covering her brown hair.

"And you are as lovely as ever as well," I said to her.

The twelve-year-old Agnes blushed at my words, turning her face away.

"Don't butter her up too much, Cousin. If you do, her bonnet won't fit," Ephram said, stepping forward.

We shook hands. "Ephram, it's good to see you again. And I can't help it if I compliment your sister's appearance. When I see a beautiful lady, I can't help but let her know."

My cousin and I laughed and spoke for a moment more before there was a light tap on my shoulder.

My conversation with Ephram cut off, and I turned to look, and I was greeted by the sight of my cousin Edith, standing next to Faith. Faith had a disapproving look on her face, but Edith smiled coyly.

"How about me, dear Roderick. Do you have a greeting for me?" Edith asked in her sing-song voice.

Where Agnes looked lovely in her dress, she was still a girl. Edith, however, was a woman and lady. She wore a similar yellow dress; however, she prominently displayed the features that separate the fairer sex. I had always fancied Edith, and seeing her standing there, I felt the attraction still.

Immediately, I dropped into a bow and took her outstretched hand. "Forgive me, dear Cousin, for my laps in good manners. It warms my heart to see you again and to know that you will be staying with us," I said before giving the back of her hand a gentle kiss.

When I straightened, like her sister, Edith was blushing furiously.

Faith looked at her close cousin and laughed. "Come along. Let's get home. We have so much to discuss, and Mother will want to talk over dinner tonight."

At Faith's urging, everyone grabbed some of the luggage, and she led the way to the waiting carriage.

While I waited for the others to collect their things, I peered around the platform before grabbing the last of the luggage. There were a few gatherings similar to our own; one, though, stood out. There were three pregnant women; it looked like a mother and her daughters, accompanied by two mountainous men and a few others who looked like servants. The only reason these people stood out was that the women were speaking in hushed tones and glanced at us occasionally. With the others heading for the carriage, I collected the last of the luggage and followed them, putting the pregnant women out of my mind.

It didn't take long for the carriage to leave the station town and head into the countryside. Faith and I chatted and caught up with our cousins. The last time any of us spent any length of time together was at the ball celebrating my eighteenth name day, two years before.

While we rode, as much as I wanted to simply stare at Edith and drink in her beauty, I knew it wasn't right. To master myself, I watched out the window of the carriage. I took in the countryside, as the farms and forests went past. Though not as beautiful as the women before me, the landscape held a beauty of its own.

Mother came out of the manor as the carriage pulled to a stop. She smiled down at us. I stepped down from the carriage first, immediately turning to aid the women as they stepped down. Each gave me their thanks.

Edith peered directly into my eyes, making my heart flutter, "Thank you, Roderick."

I couldn't help but smile, "You are quite welcome, dear Edith. I am at your disposal."

Edith smirked. "I'm glad to hear that. I'll have to make use of your services again."

Though what Edith said was perfectly innocent, the way she said it made me wonder if the words held a deeper meaning.

I stared after her as she walked up the steps and into the house, following one of the staff.

I started from a voice beside me.

"She is lovely, isn't she," Mother asked.

Laughing at my easy startlement, I nodded my agreement. "Yes, Mother. Edith is lovely."

Mother cleared her throat and looked back up at the house. "Roderick, I want to remind you, and I have every faith that you will do this; if you wish to court Edith, then there are procedures to follow."

Though the women had been blushing earlier, now it was my turn. I felt my face heat. "Am I truly so transparent?"

Mother laughed. "I'm your mother, Rodi. I know things. However, in this case, yes, you are that transparent."

I joined my mother laughing. "I promise, Mother. I will conduct myself appropriately."

"Of that, I have no doubt," Mother said, looping her arm through mine. "Come, let us go inside. This sun is making me uncomfortable."

I escorted my mother inside. Immediately she set to work ensuring my cousins were getting settled and that the staff were preparing the welcoming dinner.

Having nothing to do, pertaining to my cousins' arrival, I retired to my study, where I went over the estate accounts and read through the day's correspondence.

***

"Roderick, when do you think I will start my apprenticeship under you?" Ephram asked as we sipped port after dinner. He and I retired to the parlour while the women retired to the drawing-room.

I laughed, blowing out the smoke I'd just inhaled from my pipe. "Relax, Ephram, you have already started." I chuckled again. "Though you will learn about the managerial aspect of running an estate, there are other things needed to be learned as well."

Ephram regarded me. "Such as?"

I took a sip of my port to give myself a moment to think. "Such as, how to relax. Believe it or not, it's an important thing. The estate's troubles, especially if it's a vast one, can overwhelm. Being able to relax, and put the matters of the estate out of mind, is a key to remaining sane."

I puffed my pipe a moment, staring into the fire, Ephram doing the same.

I took a breath. "When I fostered with Grandfather, that was a lesson I did not learn quickly. As I learned about the law, accounting, and the investments Grandfather gave me to oversee, I obsessed with it. I kept running the numbers in my head. I found it difficult to sleep; I wasn't eating properly. It took Grandfather smacking me upside the head, quite literally, to make me realize my folly."

Ephram chuckled at my tale, and I couldn't help but smile.

"Very well then, I will relax. Shall we play a game of chess?"

I nodded my agreement. I quaffed my drink, set the glass aside, arose, and collected from the mantle the carved ivory and onyx set Father gave me for my eighteenth name day.

We quickly set up, and Ephram made the first move. We played in silence for a few minutes before I brought up my plans.

Padre33
Padre33
562 Followers