Rue the Day Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As I stood there, I looked around at all the faces; young and old, of every race. They were there for Deborah's funeral. People from her work, my work, and people from the neighborhood, hundreds of them. They were there to support me and one another.

Music started playing from the funeral director's portable music system, "It is Well". It was appropriate, Deborah, especially these last 5 years, was happy and content. It was well with her soul, (since I stopped being a douchebag).

Most of the people were, heads down, thinking to themselves. I hope all the thoughts were happy thoughts, thoughts of good times we shared.

Pauline, with her arm now at my side, grabbed my hand and intertwined fingers. She leaned in close to me and said, "They're here for you, to support you in your time of grief. I know, because it was me that stood just 20 feet from this spot 17 years ago, not knowing how I was going to make it."

I squeezed her hand and she squeezed mine back.

"You have a void in your life and your heart right now. Let us fill that, and when you're ready, maybe I can fill it permanently. Oh, I know you will always love Deborah, but I'm willing to share that love, if you're willing to share mine too."

I looked up into her eyes. I saw empathy, support, and yes love.

Perhaps I was going to make it after all.