Sausage and The Law Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

There were a number of Legislators of both Parties present, as well as members of the Governor's Staff. But the Press contingent gathering to cover the event was smaller than expected. The 'Usual Suspects' were there: Bill Hacosta of the SNN Networks, Carl Lemay of KXTC, Tim Sioban of KSB, Margaret Tucker of KCAP-Midtown, Priya Ajmani of KFXU, Greg Wallace of the State Fox Networks, and a few unimportant 'cub' reporters from around the State.

"I wonder who Marshall will name as President of the State Medical College." said Tim Sioban, just to get conversations started.

"It's gotta be Dr. Laura Fredricson." said Carl Lemay.

Priya Ajmani agreed enthusiastically. "It's a done deal that it's Dr. Fredricson. A dunnnn deal."

Jim Hacosta arrogantly asked "Does she have the chops to handle a big administrative job like this?"

Priya, who hated Hacosta, said loudly "What do you guys think? Does a retired Deputy Director of the CIA... the entire CIA... have what it takes to start up a whole new College?" Other reporters laughed, some at Priya's withering humor, some in schadenfreude enjoyment of Hacosta's face reddening in anger at being humiliated in front of everyone.

Everyone settled down as Governor Marshall, her security, and her staff came into the Rotunda hallway along with some others. Her Press Secretary, Sarah Honeysuckle (who had been Governor Val Jared's Press Secretary) announced "Ladies and gentlemen, Governor Sharon Marshall." Staffers and Republican Legislators applauded, the Dem Legislators applauded more softly but politely. The journalists did not applaud at all.

Governor Marshall first went to the desk and sat down, and selected Staff and Legislators stood behind her... including Todd Burke and Teresa Croyle, who was dressed in civilian clothes. Sharon Marshall handed the first of three pens she used to sign the legislation to Teresa, and the second pen to State Senator Jimmy Cerone, who had shepherded the bill through the State Senate, bringing many reluctant (and that is saying it kindly) Democrats around to his way of thinking on the issue.

Governor Marshall took the third pen with her to the lectern. "This pen will go to the courageous person I have asked and tasked to start up the new State Medical College from the ground up. It is going to be a task of Herculean proportions, especially to begin classes this Fall Semester."

There were gasps as murmurs at that level of expectation, then Sharon Marshall said "And so without further ado, allow me to introduce to you State Medical College President Laura W. Fredricson!"

There was strong applause for Laura, even from Priya Ajmani and the Fox reporters. The Mainstream Media reporters just stood silently, their stone-cold hatred obvious on their faces. And I directly observed those looks of hatred because I was accompanying my wife into the Rotunda room. Laura was wearing her bright white dress with black side panels and black high heel pumps. I was wearing my gray suit with white shirt and red tie, and carrying my red crowbar.

Laura came up to the lectern and exchanged a French-style two-cheek kiss with Governor Marshall, then accepted the pen the Governor handed her. The Governor indicated for Laura to step up to the lectern and make a speech. Welcome to the world of politics, I thought to myself as I stood and applauded with everyone.

"Thank you, thank you... thank you." Laura said. The applause died down and she said "I am greatly honored and humbled by Governor Sharon Marshall's faith in me in asking me to start up the State Medical College. I am ready to begin this new chapter in my life, and I accept this appointment as the first President of the State Medical College." Applause.

Laura: "I want to thank the Members of the State House and State Senate that voted for it and for funding it. I especially thank State Senator Cerone and all of the State House Legislators who worked very hard to make this happen." Applause.

Laura: "I want to thank my husband, Commander Donald Troy, for his support and encouragement in taking this job. Without his love and support, I would've had reservations about this, but his standards of courage, confidence, and commitment will be my guides in taking on this task, and getting it done." Applause, though maybe a bit less from the Democrats. Scowls of hatred from the Press, of course.

Laura: "There were several reasons I accepted this position and this task, but the most important one is to guide State Medical College as it produces the best and brightest doctors and nurses to find and implement cures for diseases that afflict our children, funded by the Teresa Croyle Trust." Applause.

Laura: "To this day, I am in awe of Teresa Croyle. I am in awe of her courage, her generosity, her passion, and her drive to make sick children well. From that day when she was severely wounded saving my daughter's life in the Ward Harvester explosion, I have been indebted to her in a way I can never fully repay... but I can try by supporting her and her great cause of saving more children's lives. So, Teresa, let's get started. We have work to do."

As everyone applauded, Teresa came up and exchanged a long, tight hug with Laura, and tears were in both their eyes. Governor Marshall came up to the microphone and said "Do any of you have any questions for President Fredricson?"

It was Bill Hacosta who said rudely and loudly "Dr. Fredricson, while you were a Deputy Director of the CIA, did you lead or participate in the renditioning of Palestinians on behalf of the Jewish State of Israel?"

A sudden pall came over everyone, even the other reporters, at Hacosta's rudeness. Laura handled it, though. She said "What is your security clearance?":

"What?" snarled Hacosta.

"Your security clearance." Laura said again. "What is it?... Oh. You don't have one. So we won't be discussing anything involving the CIA today, now will we?"

Priya giggled loudly at that, further humiliating Hacosta. But it wasn't over for Laura.

"Tim Sioban, KSB News." said Tim Sioban of KSB News. "Dr. Fredricson... do you believe in Climate Justice?"

She said "And how do -you- define (air quotes) 'Climate Justice'?"

Sioban sneeringly said "I define it as full support for the settled Science of Climate Change, and devotion of maximum resources to repair the damage greedy Capitalists have done to the earth."

"That figures." Laura replied just as sneeringly, then launched her zinger: "As a scientist and a psychiatrist, I can tell you that true Science is -never- settled, and no one should ever be so arrogant to claim that it is. Anyone who does make such a claim is not a scientist, but a politician with an agenda. And I am definitely -not- some sort of Socialist that hates Capitalism like you do."

With a level of hatred in his voice that I'd never heard before, Carl Lemay shouted "Dr. Fredricson, do Black lives matter?"

Laura: "My husband's boss, Sheriff Griswold, has a great saying about that: 'red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight'. In other words, -all- lives are precious in the Sight of God, and that is why I support the Croyle Trust and University Hospital's mission to find cures for -all- God's children."

Governor Marshall intervened. "Okay, we have one more bill signing, the one creating the State Constitution Commission." She went to the desk and signed another bill; this time with one pen, which she turned around and handed to me. I could feeeeel the Press wilting and their hatred rising as Governor Marshall stood up and we went to the lectern.

"Dr. Fredricson is not the only person in the Troy household who is going to be busy these next few months." Sharon Marshall said. "Commander Donald Troy has agreed to be the State Constitution Chairman. He is experienced in this sort of thing, having successfully re-written the Town & County's Charter. By comparison, the State Constitution should be a snap!" The Legislators and Staff laughed. The reporters stared at her in utter, stone-cold silence.

Governor Marshall: "Commander Troy will have to have public hearings, and he will have an Advisory Board of our best Legislators to help him with the task. But the final draft he presents to me, which will be voted upon by the Citizens of the State in November, will be all his. Commander, are you willing to take questions?"

"No, but I will anyway." I said quietly as I came up to the lectern. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Teresa give what was for her a grin. The reporters were somewhat taken aback; they had not expected the rare opportunity to ask me questions, and they were not really prepared with attack questions. Still, they tried.

"Carl Lemay, KXTC Channel Two News." said Carl Lewis. "Commander, is it true that you vetoed two Legislators's names that were submitted to be on the Commission with you: State Representative Tasheeka Harris of Inner Midtown, and State House Majority Leader Wilson Hammonds of Pottsville. And if it is true, why did you veto them?"

I replied "I'm impressed. That was a good, real question, and factually mostly accurate. The inaccuracy is that they were named to the Commission. They were not; I am a Commission of One. I did reject those two persons from the Advisory Board, and here's why."

Me: "I'll be blunt: Tasheeka Harris is a racist, in the true, pure sense of the word. She hates White people based purely upon the color of their skin, not the content of their character. Everyone with a memory cell in their heads remembers how Representative Harris made a fool of herself and was forcibly removed from a Committee meeting during SBI Director Masters's hearings." (Author's note: 'Send In The Clowns', Ch. 04.)

Me: "So I'm just not going to sit there and listen to her yell (air quotes) 'You're a racist!' every time I say something not in jackbooted lockstep with her hatred-filled, racist views. As to Wilson Hammonds: as a Crony Capitalist, he supports criminal activity like hiding and employing Illegal Immigrants. I don't trust his word, and I don't trust him not to leak to you in the Press. So I'm just not going to fool with either of them."

There was a silence following that, then Priya Ajmani said with a bright smile "Priya Ajmani, KFXU Fox Eight News. State Senator Katherine Woodburn was named to the Advisory Board, and you didn't reject her, even though she's a Democrat and you're a Republican---"

"Hold on, let me stop you right there." I said. "For the record, I am not a Republican. I am not now nor have I ever been a member of the Republican Party. There -is- a difference between political Parties and political philosophies, and one should not assume philosophical beliefs automatically assigns someone to a political Party."

Me: "As for Senator Woodburn: yes, she's on the Advisory Board, and I'm glad to have her on it. She's a savvy politician, and she can be practical when she needs to be. And on the State Constitution Advisory Board, we'll all need to be practical."

Other reporters wanted to ask questions, and Tim Sioban said "Tim Sioban, SNN. Will the new State Constitution support Climate Justice and protect the earth?

I held my patience, and said "Let's get one thing very clear, here. Documents of governance, such as the U.S. Constitution, the State Constitution, and the Town & County Charter I helped write, are meant to describe and proscribe the responsibilities and processes of governance, and should protect the rights of the smallest minority of all: the individual."

Me: "Everything in the State Constitution will define legitimate functions of Government, and will affect -all- Citizens equally as the equal Individuals they are. Everything else will have to be done through those processes; that is, the Legislature, the Executive, and the Courts."

The Republicans rose up in strong applause, and Governor Marshall moved up to try to end the event by announcing "Thank you for coming, and have a good day!"

But she was rudely interrupted by Bill Hacosta, who yelled "Commander Troy, will the State Constitution have safeguards for Minorities against Police brutality?"

There were gasps in the room at that incredible rudeness, not to mention the fake news insinuation. Par for the course for the rabidly biased, dishonest, and corrupt Media, I thought to myself. But I controlled my temper and just said "Like I said, the State Constitution will protect the rights of -all- individuals... even reporters who are apparently hard of hearing, like -you-."

The Governor moved in again to end the event, and this time she was successful...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Laura, Teresa, Todd, and I were invited to a private and sumptuous lunch in the Governor's Office suite. Also there were Governor Marshall (duh), and State Senators Moe Molinari, Jimmy Cerone, and Katherine Woodburn.

"Both of you handled the Press amazingly well." said Moe Molinari to Laura and me, probably to cause trouble with Katherine Woodburn, who owned KXTC. The first thing I'd done when we sat down was to tell her everything spoken and done was off the record, and she'd agreed.

Teresa said in the scornful way that only she could: "Was Tim Sioban just a wee bit single minded in his questions, there?"

Todd said with his handsome grin: "I didn't realize he was so committed to the cause of Climate Justice."

"He's not." I replied. "Sioban is a jerk. He was just doing that to gin up angst, since he knows Climate Change was the underlying reason for everything that happened with the University, the Hospital, and the Medical School."

"He was nothing compared to that asshole Bill Hacosta." Todd said venomously. To say he had not appreciated Hacosta's ugly question about the 'Jewish State' would be the understatement of the year.

Katherine Woodburn redirected the conversation by saying "That was very sweet, Laura, what you said about Commander Croyle."

Laura said "And every word of it is true. I really have not thanked Teresa enough over the years for saving Carole. And that little girl Diane that Teresa flew here in that Christmas life-flight is the sweetest little girl. I feel so close to her, but I'm not sure why."

Neither Teresa nor I said a word, though we were both remembering Amy's prediction to little Diane on that miracle flight. (Author's note: 'Teresa's Christmas Miracle', Ch. 02.)

"You don't have to thank me." Teresa said. "And I do appreciate everything you're doing for my Kids."

Sharon Marshall said "How are those children you flew here doing?" Teresa looked over at Laura.

Laura said "The little girl, Diane, is doing very well. She's all but cured, and it's only a matter of a few more treatments. Her brother David... well, we're holding out hope. Dr. Napp says he's learned a great deal about why the current treatment works so well on girls but not boys, and he's hoping to develop something that will work on David soon. But it's a race against time... and David doesn't have a lot of that."

Teresa's head was bowed at that. I decided to change the subject. I said "So what are the next agenda items for the Legislature during this session?"

Jimmy Cerone said "Redistricting is the big one."

Moe Molinari said "We're going to try to pass a Budget this year, too. But hedge your bets on that."

I said "There is one other thing that I'd like to request of you, based upon a legal issue that is about to affect our Town & County..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3:45pm, Thursday, February 17th. We arrived home. I dropped Laura off at the Mountain Nest, then drove Todd to BOW Enterprises and Teresa to Police Headquarters. When we went inside, MCD and Vice Detectives came out into the hallway and applauded us.

Joanne Warner said "Commander, can we get something in the new State Constitution that says Police Officers don't have to pay State income taxes?"

I said "If I can get away with it, I'll eliminate the State Income Tax altogether." Everyone cheered at that.

When I got to the anteroom of my office, my assistant Helena French looked up at me and said "Sir, ADA Patterson wants you to call her. She says it's official business, and that it's important." I knew that 'important' was one step down from 'urgent', but merited fast attention.

"Thanks." I said. I went into my office and called Paulina on my Police iPhone.

"Hi, Don." Paulina said. "Are you sitting down?"

"Yes." I said. "Everything okay?"

"Personally, yes." said Paulina. "But we just got Appellate Judge Leahy's ruling about an hour ago. He says the warrant we got for Randy Luna was a phishing expedition and not based on sufficient probable cause. And he has thrown out every bit of evidence against Luna, even though we got that evidence on Rhonda Huntington's warrant. He's essentially dropped all charges against Luna, and demanded Luna's release..."

Part 17 - Appealing To The Masses

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, February 22nd, from behind the anchor desk in the KXTC studios. "Speculation and rumors fly over one local race!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "After George-Schwartz-backed attorney Alvin Whitner declared his candidacy for the Democrat nomination for Solicitor, primarying former City Attorney Dennis Garland, sources are telling Channel Two News that Assistant District Attorney Paulina Patterson may enter the Solicitor's race, as well!"

Bettina: "Alvin Whitner is black and has worked tirelessly for Social Justice for People of Color. Dennis Garland is white and very moderate. Paulina Patterson, who is the sister of international star rapper T-Squares, is black, but would likely run for Solicitor as a Republican, as no other Republicans have declared for the Solicitor post."

Bettina: "If she runs, Patterson would not have to take leave of absence from her duties as an Assistant D.A., like she did during her failed candidacy for the District Attorney post, which ended when it was publicly revealed that the father of her child was Commander Donald Troy." (Author's note: 'Media Matters', Ch. 01.) "Asked for comment, District Attorney Miriam Walters said this. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing District Attorney Miriam Walters being ambushed in the hallways of City Hall. After being asked about Paulina, Walters said "This is the first I'm hearing of that, but if she does run, Paulina Patterson would make a great Solicitor, and she would have my strongest endorsement."

Back to Bettina live: "Neither ADA Patterson nor Donald Troy have responded to repeated requests by KXTC Channel Two News for comment. And now let's go to our highly respected political reporter Carl Lemay for breaking news from the State Capitol. Carl!"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the lanky Reporter of Color, with the gold dome of the State Capitol as his backdrop. "Channel Two News has learned that the Legislature has passed the 'Appellate Courts Act', the largest revision of the State's judicial system in decades!"

Lemay: "Here are the details of the bill. It takes the six regions the State is divided into for things like the SBI, Crime Labs, and Regional State Offices, and cuts them in two. Those 12 districts are now Appellate Districts, serving the Courts within their boundaries."

Lemay: "There will now be three judges on each Appellate Court instead of just one. One Judge can issue stays, but either side of a criminal or civil dispute can insist upon the entire three-judge panel ruling on an issue. Then the current system of appealing to the State Supreme Court would take effect."

Lemay: "The bill calls for the Governor to fill the Appellate Court slots as they become open, with the advice and consent of the State Senate. And that State Senate action must take place within one month of the Governor's appointment, which means the State Senate must be in session within a month of the appointment, or a Special Session of the full Legislature called. So vacancies could be left unfilled for months."