Sausage and The Law Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I went back downstairs. Our Sheriff was still on the back deck, looking over the twinkling lights of the Town. I took a bottle of Eagle Rare 10yr. bourbon and two Glen Cairn glasses outside, and joined him right next to the warmth of the fire.

"Did we push Paulina too hard?" the Sheriff asked as we sipped the delicious bourbon.

"I dunno." I replied. Then I added: "I'd suggest letting her have a few days to think about it. She's got a lot on her mind... and if I don't miss my guess, she's going to have a lot more on her mind soon. I also think she'll have a solution for you in the coming days, as well."

"While I've got you here, let me ask you for some campaign advice on some things." the Sheriff said. It was late into the cold night, and a lot of trains came out of the western horizon and through the Town before we finished...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Saturday, February 26th. It was overcast with a little bit of wind, and cold. Three vehicles were parked at the edge of a relatively flat parcel of land. Standing on a spot in the middle of the land were State Medical College President Laura Fredricson, Town & County Councilman Edward R. Steele, Your Iron Crowbar (me), Your Green Crowbar (Cindy), and Your Iron Wolf (Teresa).

The spot we were standing on was inches away from where 'Good Time Charlie' was found dead, killed while attempting to murder my daughter Carole. (Author's note: 'Environmental Hazards', Ch. 03-04.) In the distance to the north, on the same general level, was The Mountain Nest. To the east-north-east, and up the steep mountainside, was The Cabin, as well as Teresa's home. To the west, and down the mountainside, was the back side of University Hospital.

To the south the land fell off towards the Fraternity and Sorority Houses, other residences and apartments, and the Halfway House jail facility. The flat track of land curved southeast around the mountain, and met the road that went on down towards McGhillie's Golf Course and Reservoir Road.

"It's a good property." said Edward R. Steele. "Relatively flat, won't have to be graded very much at all. And you can probably get three buildings in, as well as parking for them. The only issue for me is access. To have the Hospital in sight, but having to drive all the way around Reservoir Road and back into Town, or along the road The Cabin is on, is extremely inconvenient at best."

"What about the road to The Mountain Nest?" Cindy asked.

Laura said "The road ends at my house, but they could cut it up between my house and Dr. Childers's house, then hug the mountainside going up and over to here."

I said "Alternatively, a road could begin down there not far behind the Mountain Nest and down to behind the Hospital, and empty into the parking lot on the south side of the Hospital. It'd have to be graded, but it's doable."

"That'll cut into the back side of the Hospital." Teresa said. "Where the Wrangler Circus wants to hold their Charity Rodeo."

"We'll find them a space." I said.

"All that begs a question." Edward said. "Who owns this parcel, and the land down to the Hospital?"

I said "As near as I can tell from the deed books at the Annex Building, almost all of the parcel is part of the Hospital property, while some of it that is at the end up there behind The Mountain Nest is part of the University itself. But the catch is that the Hospital was owned by the University until the Legislature just acted days ago. So we'll have to see what kind of stink Jerry Moore makes of it if Laura claims the property for the State Medical College."

"And he will." Laura lamented. "Hell, he's trying to force me out of the Mountain Nest."

"Can he -do- that?" Cindy gasped.

"No." Laura replied. "The University created what amounts to a subdivision with a covenant, like the Heritage Cloisters, when they sold the land for the homes that were built. They own the mineral rights under the ground, and they have first rights to buy the property if it's put up for sale. But they can't force me to sell it, and as part of the covenant they gave up their rights of eminent domain.. So Jerry Moore is full of crap, and he's just trying to make things as hard for me as he possibly can."

Cindy said "My only question is where the water is coming from. Are they going to tap into the lines that go to The Cabin, or try to tap the lines on Campus that feed the Mountain Nest and the other houses there?"

Laura said "I sure don't want the water lines at the mercy of the University, Jerry Moore, and Lionel Carmela." Then she looked past me and said "And here's why."

We all looked back to see a Campus Police vehicle drive up to us, having come around the mountain the way we had. Only Cindy was in uniform; khaki shirt and brown pants with a double-stripe of light brown piping, and brown windbreaker with "SHERIFF" on the back. Yep, a windbreaker in this cold. Canadians, dontcha know.

I was in my 'all black' shirt and pants with my trenchcoat over them, my badge on my belt and service weapon holstered under the left shoulder. Teresa was also in all black, with a black leather jacket (very expensive), her badge on her belt and her alternate service weapon, a.38 Special revolver, on her belt over her right buttcheek.

She and Cindy became wary of the approaching Officers, and I took my red crowbar out of its pocket in the inner lining of my trenchcoat.

"What are y'all doing here?" said the male Campus Officer as he and a female Officer got out of the vehicle.

"Looking at this property." I said as I continued to look around.

"You're trespassing." said the female Officer. "You need to leave. Right now."

"And you are?" I asked.

"Campus Police." said the female. "This is University Property."

"No, I meant your names." I said. "What are your names?"

"I'm Campus Police Officer Patricia Ellis." said the female, who looked to be in her early twenties with fairly stringy brown hair in a ponytail. "This is Campus Police Officer Charles D'Alesandro." He was also in his twenties, a bit thin, also with brown hair. Ellis said "One more time, you're trespassing. Now are you going to leave, or are we going to have to arrest you?"

I said "This is University Hospital property, not University property. And we have every right to be here."

"Okay, drop that crowbar and show me your hands." said Patricia Ellis, going for her service weapon. "All of you, show me your---"

Well, Cindy and Teresa did show their hands... holding their loaded service weapons and aiming them at Ellis and D'Alesandro. With amazing speed, they'd gotten the drop on the young Campus Police Officers.

"GET YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM THOSE WEAPONS OR I WILL SHOOT YOU!" Cindy yelled.

"What the hell?" gasped Charles D'Alesandro. "We're the Police!

"So are we." I said. "I'm Commander Donald Troy of the Town & County Police." I pulled my trenchcoat back to reveal my badge.

"Then you're still trespassing." said Patricia Ellis. "This is University property, and under jurisdiction of the State, not the Town & County. You have no jurisdiction here."

Not lowering her weapon that was trained on Patricia Ellis's chest (which was not protected by armor), Cindy Ross said "I sure as hell have jurisdiction here. I'm Command Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross of the Town & County Sheriff's Department, and the Sheriff has jurisdiction over every square inch of this County."

I said "And Commander Croyle and I are SBI Reservists, as well."

"Who are these other two?" snarled Charles D'Alesandro.

"None of your business." I said, especially not wanting to reveal to them who Laura was. "Soooo, you can either get back in your car and drive away, or you can put your hands on the hood and let me take your weapons from you. Or you can stand there and risk getting shot dead. What's it gonna be?"

Just then two more vehicles approached. One was a Campus Police SUV, and the other was a State Patrol SUV. Seconds later, Campus Police Commissioner and Provost Marshal Bob 'Brick' Briscoe was walking up to us. Behind him was State Patrol Captain Cortese, which surprised me, since Cortese was the Commander of the Town & County's State Patrol unit.

"Stand down, guys, please." said Commissioner Briscoe. "What's going on here?"

Cindy and Teresa pointed their weapons the ground but did not relax their defensive postures. I said "Your Campus Police Officers have incorrectly accused us of trespassing, and were going to draw their weapons upon us."

"This -is- University property." said Briscoe.

"No it's not." I said. "I looked it up in the deed book, and you're welcome to do the same. This is University Hospital property... which just got transferred to the State Medical College."

Laura said "And as if they need it, the State Medical College President has given them full permission to be here."

"She's got you there, 'Brick'." said Captain Cortese.

"Yes, we -will- see about the property lines." said Briscoe. "And I'll add that President Moore is contesting the legitimacy of what you can steal from him and the University, Dr. Fredricson."

Laura replied acidly "To the point your Campus Police Officers were about to draw weapons on two TCPD Officers and a Sheriff's Deputy, and would be dead now if they had?"

"They never identified themselves, sir." said Patricia Ellis.

"Commander Ross is wearing her uniform." I replied. "And I exhibited my badge."

"And your crowbar." Teresa added helpfully.

"You guys don't know who the Iron Crowbar is?" Captain Cortese said, mock astonishment in his voice. I noticed Ellis's and D'Alesandro's reactions on their faces... a total lack of reaction.

"Oh, they know who I am." I said. "They're just following Jerry Moore's orders. Be careful, kids. Be careful."

"You guys can go." said Commissioner Briscoe. Ellis and D'Alesandro went back to their vehicle and left. Briscoe turned to us and said "I'm standing behind them and their actions, which I believe were correct. I'll be checking up on that property claim of yours." With that, he turned and went to his vehicle, and pulled out at an unnecessarily high rate of speed.

"Sorry about that, guys." said Captain Cortese. "And do watch your backs. Dr. Moore is not playing around; he's told the Campus Police to go after you guys if they see you on Campus. And Briscoe is telling Dr. Moore 'yes sir, three bags full'. If you need help, give me a call."

"Thanks, Captain." I said, going up to him and shaking his hand. He then turned and got in his vehicle, and left.

"Why is Briscoe kissing Moore's ass?" asked Edward R. Steele as we watched Cortese drive off.

Laura said "Well, there was that little uniform issue." That was a shot at me for not wearing my uniform at the University President's Christmas party, while Briscoe had. (Author's note: 'Just A Story', Ch. 06.)

I pretended to ignore Laura's snotty shot, and said "Yeah, but he took our side against Dr. Moore over parking at the Christmas Concert." (Author's note: 'Teresa's Christmas Miracle', Ch. 02.) Laura's eyes flashed anger at me for not conceding, and indeed for continuing to oppose her. But I continued on, anyway: "And Jerry Moore is not the boss of Commissioner Briscoe, nor can he fire him."

"Well, something's changed." Laura replied. "I wouldn't trust Briscoe any more, if I were any of you. And be leery of the Campus Police, too..."

Part 19 - Fibs and Feuds

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, March 4th, from the Anchor Desk of the KXTC studios. "The University files suit against the new State Medical College!"

After the hard-charging intro music, Bettina began: "University President Jerry Moore has brought a lawsuit against Dr. Laura Fredricson and the State Medical College, claiming that the Medical College is attempting to wrongly and unlawfully seize land that belongs to the University! Let's go to trusted reporter Amber Harris for more. Amber!"

"That's right, Bettina!" shouted the athletic, height-challenged, blonde reporterette, standing near University Avenue on the edge of University Hospital's property. "The law creating the State Medical College gave it ownership of University Hospital and its properties. However, Dr. Jerry Moore is fighting Dr. Laura Fredricson's claim to three parcels of land on the mountainside behind University Hospital, and his lawsuit claims that the land she is saying is University Hospital's actually belongs to the University itself."

Amber: "Experts tell Channel Two News that despite the recently passed law in the State Legislature, Dr. Moore has a very strong legal case, and that Dr. Fredricson has already overreached her authority. The case is being placed on the Superior Court docket for an expedited hearing. Back to you, Bettina!"

The feed went back to Bettina, who was looking at something on her desk. She looked up in shock and said "Oh! Uh... I thought you were going directly to Pat Stellum, Amber. Let's go to him now. Pat, I believe you have a special guest?"

"That's right, Bettina!" said the portly reporter as he came onto the feed, with the University President's Mansion in his background. "We are fortunate and honored to be joined by University President Jerry Moore. Thank you for giving us a moment of your time, Mr. President."

The camera panned out to show Dr. Moore standing to Stellum's left. "Good to be with you and KXTC, Pat."

"Dr. Moore," said Stellum, "the land in question is not particularly useful for the University. Why are you suing Dr. Fredricson over it?"

"It's a matter of principles, and integrity, Pat." said Dr. Moore. "Just as Dr. Fredricson's CIA career was filled with violations of human rights, her new career is beginning with similar breaches of integrity by falsely claiming that property which is clearly the University's belongs to the Hospital."

Stellum: "So that is the reason for the lawsuit, instead of working it out, or asking for arbitration?"

Dr. Moore: "Actually the lawsuit is intended to show Dr. Fredricson's overreach, her lack of integrity, especially in being a Climate Denier, and it's meant to put her in her place going forward."

Stellum: "What about her home, which adjoins the properties in question?"

Dr. Moore: "Those properties were meant for homes for University professors to live in while they teach our children important subjects such as Climate Justice. We are demanding that Dr. Fredricson move out of that house and return it to its rightful owner, the University."

"Back to you, Bettina." said Stellum, whose fat lips were fixed in a huge grin.

"Thank you, Pat!" Bettina said as the feed returned to her. "And we thank Dr. Moore for his time, and for reporting the facts of the issues as the University rebuts Dr. Fredricson's egregious overreach of her authority."

Bettina: "And in other news, Assistant District Attorney Paulina Patterson has called a Press conference for noon today! Political experts believe she will announce that she is primarying incumbent Miriam Walters for the District Attorney post, while some believe she may run for Solicitor. And now let's go to Jeff Hull for Sports. Jeff!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well! No wonder Paulina isn't here." said Command Deputy Sheriff Cindy Ross as she, Lieutenant Commander Teresa Croyle, Sheriff Antonio Griswold, Commander Don Troy (me), Chief Sean Moynahan, and Deputy Chief Tanya P. Muscone watched Bettina's hate-fest and drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"Which post is she running for, Don?" Tanya asked.

"I have no idea." I said. "She has not said a word to me about any of this."

"She hasn't said -anything- to you?" Cindy said, extreme skepticism in her voice.

"What, do you think I'm lying to you?" I said harshly as I locked my gray eyes with Cindy's ice-blue peepers. As the tension in the silence of the room grew, I said "Well, do you?"

"She's about to run for office." Cindy persisted. "That'll affect Tasha, which will affect you, especially if she runs for D.A... and she's said -nothing- to you?"

"No, she hasn't. Not one fucking word!" I all but shouted.

Teresa intervened: "Cindy, why do you believe anything Bettina is saying?"

"She just reported it." Cindy said.

Teresa said "And she used the word (air quotes) 'experts', which means she's the one that's probably lying."

"Then why would Paulina call a Press conference?" Cindy fired back.

"Any idea, Crowbar?" growled Sheriff Griswold.

"With all due respect, Sheriff," I growled back while glaring at Cindy, "I'm done talking here. I've got nothing more to say about this." Even the Sheriff was stunned by my embittered response.

Tanya tried her hand at intervention: "Who's going to win that property dispute lawsuit?"

Cindy said "I've also looked up the deeds in the books at the Annex Building. Two of the parcels are straight-up part of the Hospital's land, so Laura should win that one. The third parcel, the one right behind the Mountain Nest, was part of the tracts of land set aside to sell to professors to build homes. It never was sold, so it's still University property."

Teresa said "And it may be the only good route to build a road to connect the Hospital to the classroom buildings Laura wants to build on the two parcels. Todd said that Laura still might can claim it under the law that created the State Medical College, or use eminent domain. But I think Dr. Moore and even the full Board of Trustees are going to fight like hell over it."

I said "Y'all need to know that copies of those deed records are now in the evidence servers of the TCPD. If Moore, Carmela, or anyone tries to fuck with them, I'm gonna be all over them like a tornado. Having said that, whoever wins will be purely up to which Judge hears the case. If it's Watts or Washington, Laura will win. If it's Folsom, he'll be scared of offending someone that eventually could stop him from becoming a State Supreme Court Justice, which is his life's lodestone."

Chief Moynahan said "Doctor Moore must be extreeeemely upset with your wife, Mister Crowbarrrr. That was some pretty ugly stuff he was saying about her."

Teresa asked "Did Lionel Carmela coach him up to say that stuff?"

"I doubt it." I replied. "Carmela is probably secretly ecstatic that Laura will no longer be on the University Faculty, and therefore no longer a thorn in his, Carmela's, side. He also knows that he can influence Faculty hiring even without being able to force them to sign the 'loyalty documents'. No, this is all Jerry Moore, and his wife. Laura has really embarrassed him through all of this, and both he and his wife are taking it most very personally... and bitterly."

Tanya said "By the way, I noticed that Bettina was totally shocked when Amber threw it back to her. Bettina looked like she'd been caught with her clothes off." Everyone but me laughed.

Cindy said "Amber and Carl Lemay despise Pat Stellum. I think Bettina expected Amber to hand it off to Stellum for the Moore interview, and Amber simply didn't do it. Hmmm, maybe Don's dream of Amber getting fired will come true, eh?" (Canadian 'eh', there).

"Not from this." I replied curtly. "Stellum is the one on the chopping block..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome, to Fox University Sunrise!" said Catrina Pierce at 8:00am, Friday, March 4th. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me today is Lisa Fillmore. Priya Ajmani is on location at the State Capitol in Midtown. Good morning, Lisa."

"Good morning, Catrina." said Lisa. "Good morning, everyone. Here's what's in the news. University President Jerry Moore is suing the new State Medical College and its President, Dr. Laura Fredricson, over a property rights dispute."