Saving the Doctor Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jon stared at Beth's tear-stained face, and felt that his own eyes were starting to moisten. He stood there, absorbing everything she said, and feeling in his bones that it was all very likely true.

"So whatever, hate me if you want, make them fire me, but you need to know that," she croaked, and turned to storm out.

"Wait! Beth. Don't..." he gulped and took a deep breath. She hesitated by the door and turned around. Tears and hopelessness spread over her face.

"Thank you," he said. "Really, thank you. I can tell you're being honest, and I appreciate it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all that, and it hurts to hear it, but I don't hate you. That's... the kind of thing a good friend would tell another. So... thanks."

"You're um, you're welcome," she said, seeming perplexed but relieved.

He nodded. They stared at each other for another silent moment.

She hesitated with a sniffle, and finally said a very uncertain, "Have a good night Jon."

Then she finally opened the door, and was gone.

That evening Elaina seemed like she was over the kitten fiasco, and was trying to make amends. She complimented him on his choice of takeout, and said she was glad to see the bags from the menswear store, She was eager to see him try the clothes on and might have given him a hint of a suggestive look. His head was elsewhere though, stoic and withdrawn, thinking about what Beth had said. Finally, after a break in the conversation he asked her how her day at the hospital went.

"Oh nothing out of the ordinary, it was fairly standard consults and the dialysis clinic was the usual. A few issues with staff like there always is."

"Oh?..." he said, interested to hear more, realizing how she might have been downplaying her behavior in the hospital if what Beth said was true.

"Well you know, it's always an ongoing struggle keeping people in line, and making sure things get done right. I wish it didn't take so much effort to get them to understand professionalism, but that's life," she said nonchalantly.

"Yeah... how do you go about that? Like have you changed your approach?" he asked, trying to stay casual.

"Oh well yes, when we were residents I tried to keep things in order, as much as I could, but I was always holding back and limited by what our attending might think, and I had to worry about rotation evaluations. So I always had to be a bit more passive."

He bit his tongue. He had never thought that she had ever really held back, to have called her 'passive' would have been ridiculous.

"Anyway, now that I'm an attending I feel like I finally have the confidence and freedom to assert myself. It feels good, and it really is necessary I think, to maintain a certain quality of care. I just feel like I'm the only one putting in the effort sometimes, you know?"

"Uhh, yeah I guess. Does that cause problems though? Like, interpersonally? If you're too harsh you can burn bridges right?"

She shrugged, "I'm careful not to lose my temper with the other doctors, at least not as often as I do with the support staff, so I don't think it hurts me professionally. I think people respect that I demand a certain quality of work, and it takes a certain level of discipline to achieve that," she said calmly.

"I... hear what you're saying, I guess, but respect goes both ways right?"

"Yes and I find poor quality work disrespectful."

He sighed, "Do the other docs on the wards treat people the same way?"

"We all have our different approaches and that's fine. Though I like to think I can lead by example." She squinted at him. "Why? Did someone say something?"

He paused for a moment and thought.

"Nothing... too specific," he said carefully. "You know I'm in the O.R. assisting every Wednesday right? So I overhear things, and occasionally your name comes up, and... just the way some of the nurses talk about you makes me wonder."

It was all technically the truth. After hearing what Beth said, he had thought back to other conversations, and some of the vague things he remembered the staff saying about her had suddenly clicked in his mind.

She shook her head angrily, "Those fucking nurses I swear to God. They all seem to have it out for me, I feel like they have little sorority meetings every week to think up new ways of pissing me off. Don't believe a single word any of them say. Entitled, lazy, nattering little bitches. All of them."

"ALL of them?" he said doubtfully, trying to make her hear what she was saying.

"YES, all of them. I don't know how it's possible, but it seems to be.

He knew it wasn't. It was clear where the problem was lying.

He didn't push it any further. He had heard enough to confirm what he feared, and she was clearly in no mood for him to try to help her see the err of her ways. Not that she ever was.

She settled down quickly though, and even said out loud that she wasn't going to let work issues ruin their weekend.

They put on a tv show and settled in on the couch for a while. When the second show ended she looked to him and smiled.

"By the way I've been thinking about your apparent love of little hairy creatures."

"Okay..." he replied suspiciously.

"First of all I'm sorry I probably over-reacted about the kitten a little bit... only a LITTLE," she glared at him when he had nodded in agreement. "But... if you really think it would make our lives more exciting to have a pet, then I know I personally would prefer a dog," she smiled.

He stared at her in surprise, then smiled back doubtfully, "Really?"

"Not just ANY dog. I don't want some mutt off the street. Something purebred, well groomed, well trained. I've never had one before, and they always seemed like nothing but slobbering messes to me, but I caught some dog shows on tv the other day and it actually looks like it would be quite the event to attend. I was thinking we could hire someone not only to help look after it, but perhaps also do some of the regional shows if we find one well-bred enough. I know some people with kennels would do that, and even keep the dog there most of the time. We would still own it of course, but that way it wouldn't be as much work or mess around here."

He looked at her trying not to change his face, but inside he was dying. She had somehow taken something wholesome he would've been excited about, and manipulated it into one of her attempts at flaunting wealth and status. He had always just wanted a furry friend for companionship. She wanted a trophy.

He chose his words carefully, "If you really are sure about it... You gotta be careful with some of those breeders, there's some shady stuff that goes on in that world."

"Yes of course we'd be careful not to get swindled," she said.

"No I mean like, with animal welfare," he corrected her.

"Oh. Yes I suppose," she shrugged in agreement. "Anyway I don't want one right away, but I'm open to considering it." She smiled at him, as if, with her consideration alone, she had just given him the greatest Christmas present ever. He was less than impressed, but tried not to show it.

"Thanks," he said politely.

She snuggled into him. She seemed to be feeling more and more affectionate, and he kept feeling less and less. His loins were still aching in denial from what had happened with Beth, but emotionally he wasn't sure his desire for Elaina had ever sunk this low.

The evening wore on. It wasn't that late yet but Elaina turned off the TV.

"You have an outfit to show me I believe," she said, looking at him with a suggestive smile.

"Oh right. Yeah sure," he said, and got up slowly without much excitement.

They went upstairs and he put on the red shirt and silver-blue tie.

She loved it. She said she couldn't believe he had picked it out himself.

"The clerk helped me pick it," he said.

"Ahhh that makes sense now," she replied. "Well either way, thank you for listening to me and getting something nice." She smiled again and pecked him a kiss.

"Elaina, before we go to bed, I had wanted to have a chat about something," he said.

"Of course honey," she said, running her eyes over him, and running her fingers along his belt.

He knew he should appreciate the attention but he also knew she was probably toying with the idea of seducing him to avoid talking, in case he was about to bring up a touchy subject. Which he was...

"I've been thinking about... one of the big things we haven't been able to agree on. That's been tough to talk about. And I think I've reached a decision."

"Without me?" she said, narrowing her eyes and freezing her hands for a moment.

"Well. Sort of... Just listen. As far as us having kids-..."

"Jon WHY do you keep bringing this up," she said, moving against him and sliding her hand down to his crotch almost instinctively.

He grabbed her hand to stop her. "No. Just LISTEN Elaina. I've been doing a lot of thinking. And I've decided... we don't need to have kids."

She looked up at him in shock.

"I can tell you don't want to, and that's fine," he said. "We can still live a good life together without them. I can learn to still be happy without them. It would be wrong for me to pressure you into it if you don't really want to. So we don't have to."

She stared at him for a moment, then smiled wide.

"Oh Jon!" She leaned up and kissed him passionately.

"Thank you so much," she said between kisses. "That means so much."

She hugged him tightly and then kissed him on the neck.

What was left unsaid was why. He had been having doubts for a while, but now had reached the conclusion that she wouldn't be a good mother. He hated thinking it, but he couldn't convince himself otherwise. He still loved the idea of having and raising kids, but didn't want to have kids with her. Saying even half of that truth out loud made it that much more clear in his mind now. It drove home the bitter reality of it, of how little he thought of her despite their lives being so entwined.

"I love you Jon," she said, and hugged tighter.

"I love you too," he lied.

She broke away and told him to put on his suit pants and jacket so she could see the full effect and she left the room for a few minutes.

He went to the closet and put them on in a blank-faced trance. He had so much he regretted, but in that moment he realized he regretted what he had just told her. Instead of telling her he didn't want kids, he should've asked to postpone or call off the wedding. He wasn't sure he would've had the guts to, but he knew it would've been a more appropriate move. Too late now, he told himself, sinking into self-defeat.

She walked back into the room slowly, wearing a shiny green ballroom gown. The deep v-neck designed to be worn bra-less and cut low past the space between her breasts. She was the definition of elegance. A look of seduction on her face.

"Well hello sir..." she said with a smile "You're looking quite dashing this evening."

He simply stared at her. She seemed to mistake his depressed empty gaze, for being dumbstruck at her dress. She walked forward, trying to saunter her narrow hips, though she was trying a little too hard.

"I'm going to wear it tomorrow. How do I look?" she asked.

He paused a moment, trying to make his brain care enough to speak.

"Like a queen," he said honestly.

Her hands went immediately to his cock. He simply breathed out but she took it as a shared desire. She leaned up and kissed him passionately, wrapping her other arm around his neck and putting her tongue in his mouth sloppily. He kissed her back, as his cock hardened. He needed release, and like it or not she was his fiance. At least for now.

She slowly pulled him backwards, walking step by step to the bed.

She told him to take his tie and shirt off and he complied. She pulled the straps of her dress over her shoulders and let it slide down to the floor. She was completely naked underneath. She took a step forward and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him again, her hard firm nipples pushing up against his chest.

He couldn't help comparing her body with Beth's. Elaina had a great body, the kind many celebrities worked hard to achieve to show off on the red carpet. But compared to the last woman to press up against him, she felt cold, boney and wasted. Her soft breasts were there, but it was mostly ribs that pressed into him. He moved his hands down to her tight, tiny ass, wishing there was more to grab on to.

She sat down on the bed and told him to take off his pants.

As he did so she reassured him that she wouldn't play any games tonight. That she already wanted him so badly, and that he'd already said enough to earn everything.

He felt insulted by the last bit, but he was a strange combination of horny and dead-inside and wasn't about to start an argument.

He climbed over top of her on the bed and she pulled his face into hers. She didn't waste any time and after a few short minutes of foreplay she rolled him over and impaled herself on his erection. She wailed his name, and started rocking her hips immediately. His body had been responding to hers almost by muscle memory, his mind checked out, but his hands and cock were both playing along convincingly.

"Ohhhh Jon!" she exclaimed. "Oh I'm so lucky to have you. Ohhh...To have a man that will do so much for me. Aaahh. A man to make me happy. Ughh. To be a loyal. Ah. Dutiful. Ah! Husband! Ah! I love you! AH! AH!"

She humped him harder. He flexed his body to meet her instinctively, but was hating everything she said. He felt even more like a pet. Like a trophy. Like that dog she had decided she wanted.

He closed his eyes and images of Beth immediately came to him. The incredible fit, tight curves of her body sitting on him. Her breasts in his hands.

He imagined what it might have been like if he had kept going. If he had given in like so much of him had wanted to. Kissed her back passionately. Buried his face in her full supple tits. Let her rip his shirt off and bring her hand down into his pants to find his eager cock. To reach down and move his fingers past her panties and into her wet pussy. To let her slide his pants down. To slip her panties to the side and to shove his rock-hard cock inside her as she wrapped her legs around the chair. To let whoever had been in the hallway be shocked by hearing their cries of passion and slapping skin of their bodies as she drove herself down on to his bare cock.

He was close to the edge, but then he remembered why he had stopped Beth. The real reason why. He thought of Carly in that massive sexy black bra perched on his exam table. If they had actually kissed. If they had taken each other right then and there...

He opened his eyes as he came hard inside Elaina. He yelled out in grunts and flexed his entire body in violent spasms of desire. None of it for the woman on top of him.

She thought otherwise though, gazing down on him in satisfaction as his orgasm subsided. She slid down to pepper kisses over his neck and profess her love for him again.

She went to sleep, curled up against him, as he stared at the ceiling for what seemed like forever.

*********

The cab pulled up to the hotel conference center, where the hospital Christmas party was getting underway. A blizzard was just beginning to pull in as well, and the gusting snow was making it difficult to see. Carly winced as she opened the door and the wind hit her. She pulled her scarf up to shield her face, trying not to smudge up her makeup.

She waited coldly for Brent to slowly walk up beside her.

"Did you tip him?" she asked as they walked into the hotel lobby.

"Why would I? He was late and almost got us in an accident," Brent said, as if she was talking total nonsense.

"It's a blizzard! He did the best he could."

Brent simply shrugged.

"We're not even that late, it's only 10 after, and the meal doesn't start until 6:30," she said.

"I was hoping you could get your schmoozing in early so we wouldn't be too late again," he said flatly.

"Why? What's your excuse this time? Classes are done and your first exam to monitor isn't until Monday," she said, as they took off their coats.

He didn't respond as they walked up to the table in front of the conference room and handed over the tickets.

"I don't know anyone here," he finally said as, they walked over to the coat check.

"And I won't know anyone at your faculty party next weekend, but I'm going anyway," she rebuked. "And we can stay as long as you want on that night."

They handed in their coats and stepped to the side.

"How much do you plan on drinking tonight?" he asked with a tinge of judgment to his voice.

"As much as I feel like," she said coldly.

"Is that healthy right now?" he said, implying the answer was no.

"I had my period last weekend and we haven't had sex since, and even then I took a test this afternoon and it was negative again."

"Are you sure those things are accurate enough?"

"...Yes Brent, I'm a pharmacist."

He shrugged again. "Maybe you're doing something wrong. The place is full of doctors you could ask one of them here."

"Jesus, Brent please do NOT bring that up tonight. It's only been 2 months and it's not like we've been trying very hard. Plus, it could be you as easily as it could be me."

He gave her an insulted glare, "I'm going to use the washroom. Go find our table."

She sighed again as he walked away, staring with disappointment at the small bald spot forming at the back of his head, and his waddling ass in his loose dress pants. She could forgive him for his looks, she knew she was no supermodel, and that's not why she'd married him anyway. What was unbearable was his flat mood, his dull demeanor, his patronizing smug superiority to anyone around him acting differently.

It was getting harder to remember back when she used to be enamored with him. When his quiet cockiness seemed mysterious and alluring. When there seemed like there were so many secrets within him that she could coax out of him, if she only tried hard enough, and the times he romanced her - admittedly rare even back then - made her seem so special. She had thought she'd just lost that man and needed to find him again. She was starting to think that alluring mystery had been a lie to begin with. A projection she had just invented for herself, and there was nothing really there to uncover, and never had been.

She decided to head to the washroom herself. She came out of the stall and checked herself in the mirror. The scarf hadn't smudged her makeup after all. She played with a few strands of hair and pulled at her dress and shawl a bit.

The black dress made her a little self-conscious. The hem was only slightly above the knee but the chest was very revealing. The thin straps digging in to her shoulders went very low before meeting the top of the dress, with a straight bodice revealing the entire top half of her breasts.

She had never been one to intentionally dress provocatively, but when she tried it on, the thought of Jon's eyes running over her made such an excited stirring in her lower regions that she couldn't help considering it. Then Brent's comment of it being 'a little slutty' made her want to wear it even more, just prove to him she had every right to. She had decided to add the red knitted shawl over top at least, partly in case it was cold, and partly to help cover herself. Though the knit was loose enough to see through, and it might just be a tease as much as anything. She remembered Jon seeming to like her wearing Elaina's shawl on that incredible night, and wondered what he'd think of this one.

She chastised herself for her thoughts of him, like she had so many times before. She'd spent so long trying to get over him. Tried so hard to be a good wife and fix her marriage. It had almost seemed to work. Brent hadn't really changed much, but she had convinced herself that they were happy enough and stable enough.

1...456789