Saving the Doctor Pt. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He had lost track of how long he sat there when suddenly he startled at the glare of headlights turning into the driveway. He couldn't see the car in front of the garage from where he was by the front door around the side, but he waited patiently, quickly getting more nervous.

He heard talking as two car doors shut, Carly's voice, and a man he didn't recognize.

"It was SO good, we should definitely go back."

"I can't believe how much I ate, sorry I pigged out."

"Whatever, you're eatin' for two. I'm the one with no excuse."

"Haha, ugh no seriously I feel like I weigh a ton."

"Naw, let me see..."

"What are you-... AAHHH!! Haha! Sean!"

"See! Light as a feather!"

"Haha! Put me down!"

"Naw, give those feet a rest. I'll even rub them later."

"Ooo that sounds nice."

"So when we get inside am I settin' you down in the living room or bedroom?"

"Hahaha! Mmmm bedroom please..."

Carly kissed Sean on the cheek as he carried her around the corner. He was tall and burly with a short beard, like a lumberjack in a business-casual suit. Jon had been standing helplessly listening to them, each word driving home the pathetic situation he'd found himself in.

Carly was in a blue blouse and a long skirt, with the cast on her broken leg hanging over Sean's arm.

She turned away from Sean's cheek with a blushed smile, looking confused when he suddenly stopped. Her smile vanished when she finally locked eyes with Jon.

Sean spoke first, "Oh, uh hey can we help you?"

Jon opened his mouth to respond but Carly beat him to it.

"Hey! Um, Sean this is Jon. I had mentioned him before, he's just a friend-..." she coughed, "A good friend of mine."

Jon gave a tight smile "Hi, sorry I was just-"

"Oh! Yeah, I remember," Sean said in a loud boisterous voice. "Good to meet you man." He shook his hand. "She's had a lot of good things to say about you, helped her through a few rough patches, and all that."

"Uh, yeah, thanks, um, good to meet you too Sean. Glad to see she's uh, got an alternative to crutches." Jon said with as friendly a smile as he could muster.

Sean laughed as Carly straightened her skirt nervously.

"Were you waiting around?..." Carly asked.

"What? Oh, no I um, just beat you guys here I guess. I got you a bit of a get-well-soon gift. I was in the record store and saw a few that I was pretty sure you'd appreciate."

"Th- thanks." Carly said, looking beyond embarrassed, taking the bag from him.

"Riiight the whole music thing, I remember now," Sean said. Thankfully seeming oblivious to the tension. "We got WAY different tastes, she always brings you up in her defense when I'm like 'who even listens to this?'" he said with a laugh.

There was a brief awkward pause.

"Anyway I just wanted to drop it off and, um, yeah you're looking g- like your doing good," Jon stammered. "I'm glad to see you're... really happy, despite... everything," he said, gesturing to her cast, but knowing they both knew it wasn't what he meant.

She smiled back, with both genuine gratitude and even more genuine pain written across her face.

"Thanks," she said, her voice seeming on the edge of breaking.

"Anyway, I'll leave you two love-birds alone."

"Yeah, take care Jon, it was great to meet you," Sean said, with the only natural smile of the three of them.

Jon nodded as he walked around them, trying to resist literally running away. He didn't dare look back. His smile had been gone the moment he was facing away from them. His heavy steps finally brought him to his car and he stepped inside, fumbled the keys and drove away immediately, afraid she might be looking back at him and able to see his eyes burning red through the car window even in the dark.

He drove home with his knuckles white on the steering wheel.

He wasn't sure how or when he finally got to sleep that night.

**********

- I just feel like I'm starting to get sick of texting. I mean, please don't stop, but could we call again at some point?

- Maybe. I'm glad we're helping support each other, but maybe we both should be talking more with people who are closer to us. Geographically.

- Maybe. Or maybe the solution is for us not to be so far away ...geographically.

- Come on, I know there must be a guy or two, or ten, who'd kill to sit down and chat with you.

- Haha. I suppose. None like you though.

- Look it's tempting but I don't know where to even start.

- I've been thinking about it a lot actually... can I send you a couple links?

...

Jon knocked on the door, clearing his throat while he waited.

"Oh hey, uh, Jon right?" his neighbor Dennis said, opening the door with a confused but friendly smile.

"Hey Dennis, yeah that's me, from just across the street there. How are you?" Jon asked.

"Good, good, how are things with you?"

"Oh not bad, just keeping the house in order."

"Yeah it's still for sale I see. You're still living there for now?"

"Yeah, just, um, just me."

"Of course yeah," Dennis cleared his throat, "So what brings you by?"

"So, I was wondering, and I know she might be sensitive about it so it's okay if it's a simple 'no', but I'm hoping you might have Tabitha's new number? I know she was sorta close to you two, and I was hoping to get back in touch with her."

Dennis eyed him for a long moment, "...yeah, but you know..."

"That it stays a well-kept secret, cause of Brad, absolutely," Jon said, as Dennis nodded in appreciation, "Don't worry, he and I don't ever talk,"

"Yeah I know you two definitely aren't-..." Dennis cleared his throat again.

"You know what? How about I get your number, and I'll give it to her and let her know you're hoping to talk?"

"If that's... what she prefers then sure," Jon conceded.

"I just don't want to break her trust, you know?" Dennis explained.

"That's fair, here," Jon said, giving her his number.

"Don't worry I'll make sure she gets it," Dennis said.

"Thanks, I appreciate it."

...

That night Jon set to staring at the TV wondering if she'd ever call, eventually picking up his guitar again.

Late into the evening, to his surprise, the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey. Jon?"

"Yeah, Tabitha?"

"Yeah, how are you?"

"I'm good!" he replied excitedly, "Er, good enough I suppose. How have you been?"

"I'm... okay. I got your message from Dennis," she said.

"Yeah, thanks for calling, I wasn't sure if he'd actually give it to you."

"Yeah, it's um, fine. I'm just... keeping a low profile, so to speak, so as long as you don't share this number with anyone."

"Yeah, yeah of course. I get it."

"So what's up? I didn't think we'd ever, um, hear from each other again"

"Well, I just wanted to get back in touch. I mean, back when we said goodbye you'd told me to give you call if certain things did, er didn't transpire, and well, here I am."

She paused, "Right... I guess I did say that. Jeez that seems like so long ago now, but I guess it wasn't that long. That was such a crazy time."

"3 months I guess. Lots changed for you?" he asked.

"Uh, yeah, well I moved away."

"Oh, where to?"

There was an awkward pause, "A... few hours away," she finally replied.

Jon tightened his lips and continued in determination, "Well that's good to hear, fresh start and all that. Honestly I'm considering something similar, but I'm not sure."

"Oh, um okay. So things didn't work out with Carly, hey?"

"Yeah, not exactly how I'd hoped to say the least. It'd be a bit of a story that's for sure."

"Well, I hope you can keep moving on positively. That's all I've been doing anyway. How's the condo?"

"Oh. Right, I actually moved back to the house."

"Oh..."

"Elaina's moved away."

"Ah, okay."

There was another awkward silent pause.

"So, a few hours away isn't too long to meet for coffee, like on a weekend maybe? What would you say? It'd be nice to catch up," he offered.

"I dunno, Jon. We're catching up enough now I figure."

"Well I... really enjoyed our time together, and I dunno, I thought maybe it ended too soon."

"Are you sure? I mean I didn't think you'd really have much more use for me at this point."

"Tabitha I... I'm sorry if you felt... used. Again I'm sorry about that party, I-"

"Oh I know you probably didn't consciously feel that way, but I mean come on," she said. "We both used each other. And, hell, we probably both needed to, but that's a fucked up way to start a relationship. I made the mistake of letting myself get carried away at least for one night, and I paid for it emotionally. I've been doing a lot of work to move on, and make a new life, and no offense but I think you're part of a world I don't want to go back to."

Jon let out a long sigh. "Okay. I think I can understand that."

"Thanks. Don't worry, I don't resent you but... you'd feel like a step back," she explained.

"Fair enough," he said. "I guess I'm glad you're moving on to better things."

"Thanks. It's good, you should try it," she joked.

Jon chuckled bitterly, "Yeah. I kinda have been I promise. You were just... worth a call at least."

She giggled, "K, well I'm flattered, I suppose."

There was a long, but more comfortable silence.

"You sound like you're doing well Tabitha, I'm glad to know that at least," he said.

"It's still hard. But thanks. I'm doing better," she said. "I hope you are too."

"Getting there," he said, pausing and wondering to himself how true it was.

"Well, all the best Jon. Again make sure no one else gets this number K?"

"Yep. For sure. Thanks Tabitha."

"Bye."

**********

- No it's not like that. If I'm bring honest, I think you're one of the most impressive, intelligent, and driven women I've known.

- You really mean that?

- Yeah, I would have hesitated to admit it before, but it's true. I think you should at least know that if you didn't already.

- Then why not take this leap for me?

- I have a life here, a clinic, people that still count on me. It's not impossible to leave, but it's a big leap. A big risk. Plus, just because you're all those things doesn't mean we're right for each other.

- Is it her?

- Maybe a bit. Maybe a lot. She's with someone else though. Seems happy. I should just leave her be.

- Well if you're not going to pour your heart out to her again then maybe you should start fresh somewhere anyway. Even if we just stay friends.

- I'll admit you're starting to make some good points...

- LOL, good. Sorry this kinda goes against all the stuff I've been working on with trying not to be controlling and pushy. I'll try to keep it in check. Keep thinking about it though okay?

- I will. Hey, so I got that book you were talking about, just started into the first couple chapters.

- Thank you! It's got so many good insights. What do you think so far?

...

Jon sat back in his office chair as his patient got back off the exam table, and put his shoes on.

"Yeah we definitely gotta get you to physiotherapy, that's what's going to solve the issue."

"You're sure it doesn't need surgery?" he asked doubtfully.

"Very unlikely, and even on the off chance it does, any surgeon's going to want to know that physio's at least been attempted first. Most of the time though physio is enough."

"Uhhh, it just sounds long and hard."

"It'll take some work, yeah, but it's worth it if you take it seriously and set your mind to it. Quick fixes aren't usually what they seem. Surgery isn't a cakewalk believe me."

He sighed, "K, I'll try it,"

Jon smiled, "Alright I'll make a referral and you should get a call within the next week or so.

"Thanks doc," he said, then stood up and left.

Jon typed up his note and finished off the referral. He looked at the header on the form and saw the names of some of the physiotherapists. He recognized one and thought to himself.

On the drive home he tapped the steering wheel as he continued to think long and hard, debating with himself.

By the time he got home he had made up his mind. He texted Jeff and asked for Dara's number.

...

"Hello?"

"Hey, Dara it's Jon here. I had sent you a text earlier, I got your number from Jeff."

"Yeah, yeah of course, you had said. How are you?"

"I'm doin' okay, how about you?"

"Good, good as ever. You've reminded me I haven't talked to Jeff in a while, I think we're kinda out of the loop with each other."

"Oh, haha, well people get busy. It's tough sometimes."

"Mhm... so what's up? Haven't seen you since New Years there."

"Yeah, that was a while ago now I guess, but I really enjoyed chatting with you then and I was wondering, if you're not too busy sometime, if you wanted to get a cup of coffee, or, even dinner or..."

"Oh... yeah, um..."

"Yeah?"

"No, no not 'yeah', I mean I was worried you might be going there... um look sorry Jon but I'm seeing someone already."

"Oh. Shit, well sorry I didn't know."

"No worries, it's fine. I'm flattered, but, you know..."

"Yep. Well anyway..."

"Thanks for being so good with my Nana by the way, she always raves about you, she's been doing a lot better since you've been looking after her."

"Thanks, that's good to hear. Yeah, I'll definitely make sure she stays looked after."

"Oh. Are you leaving the practice?"

"No. Er, not... officially. It's possible. Thinking about it. Actually that's kinda on the down low, I didn't mean to let that slip."

"Haha, um, k I won't blab I guess. Lots of people like you there though. It'd be sad to see you go."

"Thanks. Nothing's even close to official yet, I'll definitely give ample warning if I decide to. Anyway, take care Dara."

"Yeah you too. All the best."

"Bye."

Jon told himself he didn't care that much. His lie to himself was plain as day as he angrily turned the TV back on and then couldn't sit still or pay attention. He finally turned it off and went to the den to pick up his guitar.

**********

- What do you fill your life with then?

- Whatever I can. Music is helping. I'm getting back into guitar more and more, playing around with song-writing a bit.

- Really?

- Yeah, you're actually the only person I've told that too, keep it to yourself.

- Aww, well okay if you insist. Though I don't know who I'd tell. I guess I won't demand to hear it. ...Look at me, holding back!

- Lol. thanks.

- I think that's great though. I wish I had more hobbies.

- Never too late to start.

- What are you writing a song about?

- It's stupid.

- ...are you writing a love song?

- See? It's stupid.

- No! That's romantic. Even if the person it's for never hears it. Actually maybe that's even more romantic now that I think about it. It's a great way to express yourself.

- If you insist. I don't know why I said anything, it probably won't get finished.

- Well not with that attitude. Come on Jon, this self-deprecation doesn't send you in the right direction, we talked about this remember?

- Fine. Let's just drop it though. What hobby would YOU want to start?

- I dunno, it's kind of silly.

- Ha! Little miss hypocrite, come on tell me.

- I'm scowling through the phone btw.

- Yeah I think I could feel it

- LOL good, but I had thought maybe geocaching.

- That's not stupid! That would be fun.

- Really? Would you do it with me sometime?

- I'm still not sure about all that...

...

Melanie hummed along to the quiet music in the operating room, and stared at the screen holding the handles of the graspers while Jon held the laparoscope steadily.

"A bit to the left," she said, just as Jon was already adjusting smoothly, "Perfect. God you're good."

Jon smiled to himself under the surgical mask.

Melanie's hum turned into a light mutter of the lyrics, "Cause I'm a picker, I'm a grinner," barely audible under her breath.

Jon sung along, "I'm a lover, and I'm a sinner," slightly louder than her.

She giggled cutely and sung out louder, "I play my music in in the suuuun,"

"I'm a joker, I'm a smoker," Jon sung along.

"I'm a midnight toooker,"

They sang along together, "I get my loving on the ruuuun!"

"Oh enough you two," Deb laughed along with them from the other end of the drapes.

"Yeah I gotta concentrate on this part anyway it's almost loose," Melanie said, focusing harder on the screen.

"Almost..." Jon said, playing up the suspense.

"Shush," Melanie said playfully, "But yeah zoom in just like you are that's perfect,"

A minute later she finally had the gallbladder free from the liver and snipped it cleanly from the duct.

"Noice," Jon said. "God your good."

Melanie giggled and rolled her eyes, "I get by," then batted her darkly lined eyes towards him briefly.

Jon stifled an excited feeling and concentrated on the rest of the surgery. His first couple times assisting with Melanie after her rejection had been as awkward as he expected, but the ice had seemed to slowly thaw over the weeks.

"Appendectomy after this one?" Jon asked.

"Oh, no actually they switched it. We're managing that one on the ward just with antibiotics. Harry's got a bowel obstruction that's pretty emergent, he's takin' the slot, so we're off the clock early."

"Oh okay. Antibiotics only hey?"

"Well yeah with certain criteria there's good evidence showing equivalent outcomes compared with surgery and-..."

Jon chuckled, "Yeah I know, the evidence is there, I just always wonder what patients think of that?"

Melanie rolled her eyes, "Ugh, well whatever, the studies are what matters, you'd think they'd be grateful for not getting sliced into, but yeah, so many patients think it's gotta be surgery or they'll literally explode."

Jon chuckled, "We need a double-blind controlled trial on what counseling techniques will get patients to buy in and accept that management plan then," he joked.

Melanie chuckled, "Exactly. Get on it man, I'll help fund that shit."

Jon smiled as they started to finish up.

...

Jon waited in the coffee-line after changing out of his scrubs, looking at his phone nonchalantly.

"Hey,"

He looked behind him in the line and saw Melanie smiling up at him.

"Hey, fancy meeting you here," Jon replied.

"What are the odds hey? Thanks again for the assist, you always keep it going smoothly."

"I'm just a smooth guy I guess," Jon smirked.

She giggled, "You get by."

Jon stepped up the till, "Dark roast one cream, and... whatever she's getting."

Melanie gave a smirk, "Thanks, you didn't have to."

"I still owe you from last time,"

"Pfft, you could have just e-transferred me the two fifty," she said sarcastically.

He chuckled and stepped back for her as she ordered.

They stepped away from the counter with their fresh cups.

"Just tell me to screw off if it's too personal, but... you've been looking better these days," Melanie offered.

"Thanks, I've been feeling... mostly better. It's been up and down," Jon replied.

"You get that to go, or...?" Melanie asked.

"Either way," Jon said.

"I could sit and catch up... if you don't have to rush off?" she said, shrugging nonchalantly but with a hint of a twinkle in her eye.

"Sure," Jon said, walking with her to a table to have a chat.

**********

- It's just, things have been so hard. It's so easy to go about life in the same habitual ways but when that's no longer an option it gets exhausting, and you've been like a breath of fresh air giving me the strength to actually put the work in to change myself. I'm sick of being texting penpals. I want you in my life.

1...345678