Scarred

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Once they left, I waited a while longer before I made my way to the hospital reception. The night nurse at the desk found my father on the computer. She wouldn't let me go up to the ward, insisted it was after visiting times. At that moment a doctor came with the hospital security guard.

"Like the nurse said sir, visiting time is over." I looked up. It was a female doctor. The security guard came next to me. He was ready to take action if I refused to leave.

"Please understand, it's my father. I haven't seen him for seven years," I pleaded.

"Michael, is that you?" The doctor called out in surprise. "It's ok Yianni," she said to the security guard.

Gesturing me to the lift, we walked together. Inside the elevator, I looked at the doctor. Trying to recognise her. For her to call me by my name that means she knew me.

"You don't remember me, do you?" she said while smiling.

She looked the same age as me. Blonde long hair. Can't be from school, none of the girls had that hair colour. Maybe from the year above or below. "Sorry doctor, I don't recognise you."

With the lift door opening, she marched out of the lift, walking down the corridor, towards the wards. It was dark in the room. The lights were dimmed for the patients to sleep. Directing me to one of the beds. I recognised my father straight away. He was asleep. Pulling a chair near the bed, I sat there and looked at him. It was seven years ago when I last saw him. He looked a lot older now.

"My shift finishes in an hour. I'll come back then," the doctor whispered.

Nodding my head to say yes. Not leaving my eyes from my father.

Taking his hand, I started stroking it. Feeling how fragile it had become. My mind drifting away.

*****

Back to that fatal night.

Tony dived into the water. With me following him. It was dark. I don't know how long I was in the water. When I opened my eyes, over me were two paramedics with an oxygen mask over my face. I see on my right, Tony being carried out of the water. His arms were hanging to the side lifeless. I reach out to him, but the paramedics are holding me back. In the background, I hear a voice, before everything goes dark again.

"He killed my brother. That bastard killed my brother," Mario screamed.

*****

He squeezed my hand. Looking up my father was awake. He smiled at me. Then his smile disappeared.

"You have to go, Michael, you have to go back to Paphos."

"I'm not going anywhere, dad. I'm going to stay with you here." The doctor was back. "I have to go now, dad. I will see you tomorrow." Getting up, I kissed my father on the forehead before leaving.

Walking in silence with the doctor, she took me to the hospital canteen. Everything was closed, but you could get hot beverages from the vending machine. Punching some numbers on the panel, she then broke the silence.

"What would you like to drink?"

"Coffee, please."

With our beverages, we sat at one of the tables. Opposite each other. I kept on staring at the doctor. Trying to recognise her. But also admiring her beauty.

"Maths and English. We were in the same class. I sat at the desk in front of you," she said

"But your hair was darker. Also, you wore glasses." She smiled at me for remembering. That fatal night at the beach. She was there as well. She went with some girls in another car.

"What happened that night after we left. You guys stayed longer. Next day we heard about Tony's death." Sitting there, she looked at me, waiting to tell her my side of the story. Surely she heard Mario's story.

"After everyone left, we had to stay. Tony's brother decided to go for a swim. Tony went after him. I jumped in to help. My best friend ended up losing his life. Mario and Lucas said that I went into the water and Tony came after me. Who was Mr Savvas going to believe his son or me? Lucas also stuck with Mario's story."

She looked at me sceptically. "Where have you been all these years?"

Taking a deep breath, I answered, "Hiding."

Leaning back and giving me a funny look, she said. "Hiding from who?"

"I was kept in Paralimni Hospital that night for observation. Next day my father came to pick me up. Took me to get my car. Waiting for me there, was Mr Savvas. Before I could say anything, one of the police officers from Avgorou grabbed me, while Mr Savvas beat me. He took off his belt and whipped me, while I was held down. My father was helpless. He couldn't help me, as he was held by two other officers, while he watched." I sat there staring at my coffee, remembering the terror in my father's eyes when that monster beat me. "Some of his employees were there. With metal bars, they smashed up my car. As he left, he said to his men. 'I'll finish him off back at the village. No one kills my boy and gets away with it'."

"Oh, my God, I didn't know. None of us knew."

"My father helped me into my car. He wanted to drive me to Paphos. But I insisted on going alone. Giving me all the money, he had on him. I started my journey to the other side of the island. Only with God's help, I made it. For seven years I have been living in Kathikas." I smiled at her. "Some people will pay a lot of money for information like that, Helen."

Smiling back, she said, "you remembered my name." Looking up at the wall, Helen checked the time. "It's gone past midnight. I better get going."

I walked her to her car. Thanking her for letting me see my father. As she drove off, I thought to myself. "That is the kind of woman. I would like to get to know."

When I got back to the Jeep, Charlie was stretched out in the back sleeping. Once I started the engine, he jumped up, looking around him. With a big yawn, he got comfortable and went back to sleep.

"Great company you are." lifting his head up, he looked at me for a few seconds then went back to sleep.

I drove to the outskirts of Larnaca, on the road to Dhekelia. Stopping at some hotel apartments and booked a room for the night. Asked the night receptionist about their pet policy. He said, "pets not allowed." Slipping a twenty across the counter, all of a sudden, the rules changed.

Having a quick shower, I slipped into bed. Charlie was already asleep. Making light snoring sounds. With the lights out, I lay there watching the ceiling. Wondering if I should have gone back to Paphos after I saw my father. But this mess had to be cleared for once and for all. Turning over, I tried to get some sleep.

"Tomorrow is going to be a long day," I said to myself.

Chapter 3

It was six in the morning when Charlie woke me up. Slipping into a pair of shorts, I went for my early morning jog. Charlie, running next to me as I jogged along the beach. Finishing our half-hour run, with a sprint back to the apartment. Preparing some dried dog food with peanut butter for Charlie before jumping into the shower. After having some fruits for breakfast, myself, we were ready to go.

Turning the ignition key to fire up the engine, I looked at Charlie next to me. "Let's do this buddy," I said. Pressing my foot down on the accelerator the Jeep's tyres span on the gravelled parking lot, before leaving a loud screech as I drove onto the road tarmac.

It was nine when I reached Avgorou. Driving into the village, it was like a ghost town. Then again it was Sunday morning. Everyone was probably still sleeping. I wasn't going to hide in the shadows. I wanted people to see me, to put the word out, to say, "Michael is back".

Rolling into the village centre, where the coffee shops are situated. On the left was the communist coffee shop, the Progressive Party of Working People. Opposite the conservative, the democratic party, coffee shop. Like it was seven years ago, nothing had changed. At both coffee shops, seated outside groups of men in their hunting clothes. All eyes directed at me.

Parking the Jeep on the left-hand side of the road, I sat there for a couple of minutes. I left the motor running while I got out. Marching into the communist shop, straight to the counter.

"Hi, Takis." It was one of my father's childhood friends.

At first, he didn't recognise me. Looking closer, a few seconds later he smiled at me. "Good to see you, Michael."

"Excuse me is that your car." The voice came from behind me. I recognised the voice at once.

Turning around, in front of me was the officer that held me down while Savvas beat me, so many years ago. "You didn't recognise it, officer?" The shock on his face, you would have thought he just saw a ghost.

Turning back to Takis, I smiled. "I will see you later."

"My regards to your father!" Takis called out as I left the shop.

Eyes still glued to me when I got back into the Jeep. Putting the Jeep in gear, I drove off. My next destination was the cemetery. My mother's burial spot was blooming with flowers. Placing the pink roses, beside her tombstone, I stayed for a while before I left to visit an old friend's burial site. Tony's gravestone stood out from the others. It was in a family plot. With my hand on the stone, I said, "I miss you, my friend." Charlie was sitting next to me, looking up at me as I spoke.

"You have no right to touch my brother's tombstone." Take your filthy dog and leave now!"

Standing there was Mario, an angry young man. He hadn't changed in looks. Older, but he had that posture like his father. Maybe it was the suit. Next to him his sidekick, Lucas. Older but still looked like a lost boy. Probably still controlled by Mario, like a puppet on a string.

"I see the words gone around quickly," I said while staring into his eyes.

Mario stepped forward, making his fists into balls, ready to attack me. Lucas by his side was waiting for instructions. Charlie at once stepped between us growling at the aggressors. We stood there looking at each other, in the tranquillity of the cemetery. Suddenly voices were coming from the direction of the main gate. Sunday church service had finished, people were coming to visit their loved ones who had passed away.

I broke the silence between us. "Come on Charlie. let's go." Walking past both of them, as if they did not exist.

"That's right, just run away like you always do. Coward!" Mario called out.

In the distance, I detected my aunt, Androulla at my mother's grave plot. She was watering the flowers with the hose pipe, while my uncle Sotiris was removing any excess weeds that had grown. Getting nearer, my uncle noticed me first. Looking up towards my aunt, he gestured towards me with his eyes. I was not more than two meters away from my aunt when she turned to look.

With a stern look on her face, she said, "I was wondering who brought the roses." The harsh look changed into a smile. "Come here, young man." Embracing me, she hugged me, not letting me go. When she eventually did, she held my arms while she stood back and gazed at me. "You're not the young teenager I remember."

My uncle welcomed me with the same gesture as my aunt. I helped my uncle with what he was doing. Both of them firing questions at me. What was I doing all this time? How long will I stay? My aunt explained to me about my father's situation. That he will need to change the way he lives now. Once we finished, they insisted on going around their house for lunch before I went to my parent's house.

Stopping at the entrance of the house, brought back memories. Being careful not to clip the rear wheel arch on the gate as I entered the driveway. Once it was clear, I parked the Jeep under the canvas shade, something my uncle must have put up, while I was gone.

My uncle was already seated on the veranda, rolling up some tobacco. "You remembered to be careful when you drove into the driveway!" he called out.

My aunt appeared from the garden with a bowl of figs. "Sit down Michael, make yourself at home."

We both sat down enjoying some figs while we chatted. Charlie was running around getting to know the environment. When I see him go up to one of the fruit trees, he starts smelling the stem. "Charlie!" I call out. At once he turns away from the tree.

"You have him well trained," my aunt says leaning back to look into the house from the kitchen door. "Where is that girl? Always locked in her room! Can I borrow Charlie for a moment, Michael?" my aunt said with a grin on her face.

"Charlie over here now!" Leaping onto the veranda, he sat there waiting for the next order.

"Come on Charlie, come with me," my aunt said softly to the dog.

"You have to be firm with him." I interrupted. "Go, Charlie," I said with a stronger tone in my voice. Immediately he followed her into the house. A few minutes later a piercing scream came from inside, making my uncle and me jump, out of our seats.

"Oh my God, where did you find him, mum." Charlie is running out of the premises, not far behind him a fourteen-year-old teenager, making a big fuss over the dog. Looking for a stick to throw so that Charlie can retreat it.

"Come and say hello to your cousin Maria!" uncle Sotiris called out.

"Hello, Michael," a shy teenager answered back while looking at the ground.

"Hello, Angel. Charlie needs to go for a walk. Fancy taking him?" At once she looked up, nodding her head. "yes!" she yelled. Pulling her smartphone, from her jean pocket. Calling her friends, telling them about the dog. Disappearing with Charlie, once her best friend from next door appeared. Both teenage girls were making a commotion over the dog.

My uncle fired up the BBQ. More members of the family came around. Everyone with enthusiasm for seeing me. Welcoming me back home, with open arms. Lunch was rich like I always remembered it. My aunt did not sit down for a moment. By four in the afternoon, everyone had left. My uncle, aunt and me were at the front of the house on the lounge chairs, enjoying our frappe. Maria is sitting on the stairs leading to the veranda, stroking Charlie's ears while he lay his head on her lap.

"I haven't seen George, how is he? Is he still doing his national service?" I ask. George is their oldest. He was twenty years old. I was not sure if he had finished yet. My uncle looked at my aunt like he was telling her to answer this question. Either of them had to say anything. Maria responded to my inquiry.

While playing with Charlie, she said. "Owe George finished the army six months ago. Since he purchased that car, we hardly see him." With sadness in her voice, Maria continued, "he is always arguing with mum and dad. He never used to be like that. Now he's always shouting at me." Wiping her eyes, Maria got up and went inside.

"I'll get the spare room ready. You can stay here tonight," my aunt said, trying to change the subject.

I wanted to ask them about George, but they seemed upset about it. "I will be going to my parent's house." Taking her hand, I stroked it. Smiling at me, she got up to get the keys to the house.

It was a five-minute drive there. Parking the Wrangler outside the house, my aunt stopping just behind me. Getting out of her car, she marched up the pathway to the front door. I stood at the front gate, staring at the house. It hadn't changed. There was wear from the seven years I was gone, but it was well maintained.

"Are you going to come inside or stand there gawking!" she called.

Walking from one room to the other, inspecting everything around me. Nothing had changed. It was the same as I remembered it. Standing at the entrance of my bedroom, I scanned the room. Everything in its place, like I left it seven years ago. I felt a tear run down my cheek. Rushing to the bathroom, I quickly locked the door. Turning on the water, I washed my face, trying to compose myself.

My aunt was in the kitchen standing by the kettle, waiting for the water to boil. Two mugs were sitting on the kitchen counter. Hearing my footsteps, she turned around.

"I tried to keep the place as clean as possible. Coming at least twice a week to do your father's laundry and housework. He wasn't the same after you left." Her hand on the kettle's handle, once the switch popped up. She commenced pouring the hot liquid into the mugs.

Rubbing her back, I said in a soft voice, "You did more than enough, to help my father." Sitting her down at the kitchen table, I continued to prepare the two beverages. That is when the doorbell rang.

She went to see who it was. There was the sound of female chatting in the foyer. I didn't take any notice, as I thought it was one of the neighbours and had come to say hello to my aunt.

My aunt entered the kitchen with a smirk on her face. "You have a visitor in the hall." Gesturing her hand for the guest to come into the kitchen. Entering the kitchen, it was Helen. The doctor from the hospital.

"Hi, sorry for intruding. I was visiting a friend in Avgorou. She told me where you lived. I'm sorry, you're probably busy. It's best I leave." She turned to leave.

I just stood there. Now, this lady was lovely in a doctor's white robe. In a short sleeve flared dress, she was beautiful. I just stood there speechless. Thank god my aunt Androula was here.

As my aunt grasped her arm, she turned her around to face me. "Michael, I need to go. I have three hungry mouths to feed," my aunt said. Giving me a quick wink, she was gone in a flash. I was left standing there, did not know what to say.

"Hi," I said while gawking at her.

"Hi, is there anything wrong, why are you looking at me like that?" she said with a bewildered look on her face.

"No, it's just a surprise to see you. I have a spare coffee if you would like to join me. Since my aunt was in a hurry to leave." Holding up one of the mugs, I handed it over to her.

We sat at the table and talked for a while. Telling me, about the time she was at university in Greece. When the subject of relationships came up, I said to her, "It's Charlie and me." Pointing to Charlie, who was sitting there watching us. "What about you? There must be someone, a lovely lady like you."

Smiling at me, she replied, "the right one has not turned up yet."

I gave her a tour of the house. While Charlie followed us, walking between us. We sat for a while in the living room looking through the photo albums. Finding old pictures when we were at school. Coming across a picture of Tony and me, arms across each other's shoulder. Looking at the camera, laughing. At that moment I froze, my eyes going moist. Turning away, not to be seen like that by Helen.

Grasping my chin, she turned my head to face her. "Hey, it's good to let your emotions out." With her finger, she gently wiped the tear away from my cheek. I wanted to lean forward and kiss her, but I didn't know how she would react.

Checking the time on her watch, she got up. "It's past seven. I need to go."

We walked to her car, Charlie by my side all the way. Leaning down, she stroked Charlie's head. "You look after him, Charlie," she said to the dog. As she stood up, our faces were inches away from each other. Putting my hand out for a handshake, she ignored it. Instead, she leaned forward, kissing me on the cheek. "I'm working tomorrow. I'll see you soon." Getting in her car, I watched her drive away.

"That didn't take you long." It was my aunt Androula, standing behind me.

"We are just friends," I replied.

"Sure, just friends. Come on let's go to the hospital and see your dad."

Following my aunt, I turned to look behind me at the road, where Helen drove off, smiling.

Chapter 4

Next day, I spent the morning doing some odd jobs around the house. Rampaging through my things, a lot of memories came back, happy and sad. It was midday when my aunt came around, finding me in the garden taking care of the fruit trees. Living on a farm for seven years, you learn to enjoy the tranquillity.

"I see you have become handy with a hoe." My aunt called out from the veranda.

"The trees needed some watering from this heat," I called back.